Start by marking “Batman: As the Crow Flies” as Want to Read:
Batman: As the Crow Flies

Batman: As the Crow Flies (Batman, Volume I #626-630)

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  308 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Gotham City's underworld is thrown into turmoil as its crimelords slip into a rabid — and murderous — frenzy. Is it a coincidence, or part of an elaborate and sinister power play? One thing's for sure: The machinations of the Scarecrow and the Penguin will have Batman hard-pressed to restore order. Worse, Batman may have met his match in the vicious Scarebeast!

Written by a
Published November 1st 2004 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Batman by Alan MooreBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Jeph LoebBatman by Frank MillerBatman by Grant Morrison
Best of Batman
434 books — 775 voters
Breaking Dawn by Stephenie MeyerEclipse by Stephenie MeyerTwilight by Stephenie MeyerNew Moon by Stephenie MeyerTerror Sagrado by Frank Miller
The Hate List
88 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Jayson
(B+) 77% | Good
Notes: Though suitably Batman in tone and character, its convoluted, monster-centric, far-fetched plot feels very Scooby-Doo.
Sam Quixote
Penguin’s recruited Scarecrow to help corral his mob captains – and then suddenly a 10-foot tall Scarecrow monster begins murdering them! Sounds like a mystery for Scooby-Bat and the gang to solve!

Batman: As the Crow Flies isn’t a great Batman book. It reads like a Scooby-Doo cartoon where the monster terrorises everyone for the duration with the story hinging on the reveal of who it really is. And they would’ve gotten away with it if it weren’t for the meddlin’ Bat-family!

While Penguin’s Mach
Noah Soudrette
Feb 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This book collects Judd Winick's first storyline during his run on Batman. This is a good build up to the return of Jason Todd stuff to come later, and manages to make the Scarecrow a formidable baddy, while showing why one should never turn his back on the Penguin. Solid work.
Kathleen
Mar 21, 2010 rated it liked it
A perfectly executed Scarecrow/Penguin Team-up with bonus Cross-Dressing-For-Justice!Tim.
Koen
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Great work: both storyline and artwork!
Really enjoyed the part in the Batmobile ;) Oeh, and of course then at the end with the mask....
Well, we all know now don't we?!! :))
John Yelverton
Jul 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Not my usual cup of Batman tea, but it was still a really great story.
Albert
Nov 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Batman: As The Crow Flies is written by Judd Winick, with artwork by Dustin Nguyen and Richard Friend. This book is notable as being the debut of Dustin Nguyen's artwork in the DC Universe. The Trade Paperback collects the comic book issues Batman #626 - #630, beginning in April of 2004.

One of the most underrated villains in the Batman comics and the one with perhaps the most potential has always been Dr. Jonathan Crane, the Scarecrow. Often portrayed as a modern day Ichabod Crane of Sleepy Holl
Zachary King
Jan 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Judd Winick and Dustin Nguyen always do good work in Gotham, and this book is no exception. As Penguin consolidates his hold on Gotham City, the Scarebeast is killing his underlings - but Jonathan Crane insists it isn’t him, and his lab aide can vouch for him. Great art, good concept, and a clever twist. Winick writes a very human Batman, and Nguyen’s art is fascinating as always - the Scarebeast is genuinely freaky!
Scott
Dec 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice stand-alone horror/mystery/crime hybrid (I would agree with the other reviewers that at times it was too much in the vein of a vintage Scooby-Doo episode) that requires only a superficial knowledge of the characters and their back-stories. Penguin is formidable and savvy in this one.
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually write graphic novel reviews unless they are really bad, such as anything from the new 52 Harley Quinn series which is just an insult to the character and the reader; but this book is fantastic! Beautiful art, great story telling....highly recommend!!!
Brooke W.
Dec 06, 2012 rated it liked it
My brother loved this book, but I settled more for liking it :) It's a great penguin story, and while I certainly do love seeing Scarecrow as the main character (he's one of my favorite villains), I wasn't a huge fan of his submissive nature and his emasculate position in the story, and would like to have seen him as a more formidable opponent on his own accord. The introduction of a new villain at the end was a little bit confusing to me, as I've never heard about that villain since (although I ...more
Ryan Mishap
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: batman-et-al
A solid Batman outing here, with no weird bullshit interfering with what Batman does best: figure out who's pulling the strings behind a series of crimes. As The Penguin tries to muscle in on the mob, local capos are being brutally murdered. Meanwhile, Doctor Crane is working for Penguin to create a fear gas that will keep Penguins men in line.

Good art, simple detective story, no weird bullshit.

Hannah Givens
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
A standalone story, classic Scarecrow with a few twists. The most memorable scene was Batman hallucinating that Jason came back as a villain, because that actually happens much later in Batman's life. Kind of explains his reaction, if he'd been worried about it all along.
Mike
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: completed-series
Wow... between art and story, this one really struck me for some reason. I kind of saw who the villain was, behind the monster, but not quite. Rather scary...
Randi (The Artist Formerly known as Guitar Chick)
A solid Batbook, but you're gonna need to read up on what happened before in this arc if you're going in cold. Definitely can't stand separately.
Joyce
Aug 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, batman
A nice Scarecrow story arc by Winick, with a good teaser at the end.
Brandon
Dec 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Possibly some of the best Batman art I've seen and a great story by a Real World alum
Adam
Dec 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Not a bad Batman story overall. But considering this is called "As the Crow Flies" I thought there should have been more Scarecrow and less Penguin. But it was enjoyable either way.
Dony Grayman
Edición argentina que traduce la saga siguiente a Broken City.
Jedhua
Dec 24, 2016 rated it liked it
ABSOLUTE RATING: {3/5 stars}

STANDARDIZED RATING: <3/5 stars>
Dean Olson
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, wantlist
The beginning of the amazing Dustin Nguyen art duties on Batman.
Max Z
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
A rare occasion when the Dark Knight does not triumph in the end. All three villains accomplish their plans and elude his grasp. This disappointment is probably why most people give it 3 stars.
A
  • Batman: City of Crime
  • Batman: War Crimes
  • Batman: Broken City
  • Batman: Contagion
  • JLA, Vol. 16: Pain of the Gods (JLA, #16)
  • Batman: Arkham Reborn
  • Batman: Bruce Wayne, Fugitive, Vol. 1
  • Robin: Unmasked
  • Batman: Ten Nights of the Beast
  • Batman: Life After Death
  • Batman: Legacy
  • Batman: Blind Justice
  • Catwoman, Vol. 3: Relentless
Born February 12th, 1970 and raised on Long Island in New York, Judd began cartooning professionally at 16 with a single-paneled strip called Nuts & Bolts. This ran weekly through Anton Publications, a newspaper publisher that produced town papers in the Tri state area. He was paid 10 dollars a week.

In August of 1988, Judd began attending the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor bringing Nuts &am
More about Judd Winick

Batman, Volume I (1 - 10 of 72 books)
  • Batman: The Golden Age, Vol. 1