Start by marking “And Thereby Hangs a Tale” as Want to Read:
And Thereby Hangs a Tale

And Thereby Hangs a Tale

Jamwal and Nisha fall in love while waiting for a traffic light to turn green in Delhi…thus begins one of the 15 short stories Jeffrey Archer has gathered from around the globe during the past five years in this, his sixth collection, of enthralling short stories.

From Germany comes Masterpiece, the tale of a priceless oil painting that has remained in the same family for o
Published May 7th 2010 by Macmillan (first published May 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about And Thereby Hangs a Tale, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Meghana
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of And Thereby Hangs a Tale
Mansuriah Hassan
Oct 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I always love Jeffrey Archer's works. The attention to detail he gives to his characters is something I love. They seem real and not dipped in frivolity. Every detail seems to serve a purpose to propel the story.

This book contains a total of 15 short stories. 10 of them were based on true events. While the remaining 5 of were the result of the author’s imagination. Truly the book contains interesting short stories, each stories are great quick read with surprise endings. Archer navigates his lit
Jim
Due to a bad memory, I thought this was a collection of short stories about animals. It's not. There are 15 general fiction stories that were enhanced by a good reader. I've only read "Kane & Able" by Archer & that was years ago, but I enjoyed it. He popped up in my newsfeed for some reason & then I saw the audio book, so I gave it a shot. I'm glad I did.

The stories are:

"Stuck On You"
"The Queen's Birthday Telegram"
"High Heels"
Shatarupa  Dhar
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Synopsis:
The sixth collection of contemporary short stories by Jeffrey Archer, the title of which has been taken from The Taming of the Shrew, a play by William Shakespeare.
Out of their saddles into the dirt, and thereby hangs a tale.

The title makes an appearance in two of the stories as well:
The Undiplomatic Diplomat, and
Caste-Off

Out of the fifteen short stories, ten are based on real incidents to which the author says,
... while there may not be a book in every one of us, there is so often
Leslie
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have already repeatedly explained or justified my total weakness for 'twist in the tale' books. And Jeffery Archer is the man who introduced me to the genre so I am going to give him a little extra * for being my first.

There are probably less than dozen stories, some are better than others. A few are a little too long. My favorite was the Queen's Telegram
Donna
Nov 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I love Jeffrey Archer. He ranks high on my list of favorite authors of all time....but I just can't get into short stories. I either want them to be longer....or I want them to be over. I struggle when they pop up on a "must read" list. But if I must read them...he is my go to author.

I liked the pace of these and they had some his magic woven in. So 3 stars -- because of the author.
Ammey
Sep 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book is a collection of 15 short stories. Out of which 10 stories are based on true incidents. The stories based on true incidents are marked by an asterisk.
1. Stuck on You*
I would rate this as an excellent story. While reading we know what is going to happen, but don’t know how.
2. The Queen's Birthday Telegram*
I would rate this as an excellent story. The story ends with a smile on your face.
3. High Heels*
Again, I would rate this as an excellent story. The comment at the end of the story by
Jeanette
It's a while since I've read Jeffrey Archer. I remember enjoying his books Cain and Abel, Prodigal Daughter, Shall We Tell the President and Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less so I had high expectations of And Thereby Hangs a Tale. The title references a quote (or quotes) from Shakespeare and is itself included in three of the stories - including the last line of the last story.

And Thereby Hangs a Tale is a collection of short stories, most of which are apparently drawn from stories told to Arch
Manu
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
The good news is that Lord Archer still has that amazing gift of storytelling, the bad news is that the twists seem to have been blunted a bit. Its probably the sheer amount of content that we encounter, or the tendency to predict the author's twist, or the way reality beats fiction these days, but compared to the author's earlier works, this one didn't induce the jaw-dropping.

It'd be tempting to say that since 10 of the 15 works are based on real life, the scope for the twist is limited by fac
Abhinav
3 to 3.5 stars for this short story collection by Jeffrey Archer.

I absolutely love Jeffrey Archer's short stories & I think he's one of the best atleast among the current crop of writers. That being said, I have to say I was left slightly disappointed by 'And Thereby Hangs A Tale'.

This collection has 15 stories, of which 10 happen to be inspired from real events. I think this must be the only compilation of his which has so many of these. Sorry to say, most of these inspired tales lack the spark
Sonia Gomes
Oct 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
And 'Thereby Hangs A Tale' consists of fifteen short stories.
None can be said to be extraordinary but most of them are really good and most of them are true.
With some you would know 'where its leading' but with Jeffrey Archer it is not the 'where its leading'as much as the 'how did it get there'which is important.
One story that really has a quirky ending and would make you laugh in disbelief is 'The Queen's Birthday Telegram'. You know that the Nurse in 'Where There's a Will' is out to get th
Salil Kanitkar
Apr 30, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020, english
Short, sweet, breezy & entertaining. Jeffrey Archer rarely disappoints. I wouldn't call this his best work, but its decent and a fun book. A couple of stories are fantastic, one or two are very predictable and the rest are somewhere in the middle of the spectrum. A solid 3.5/5. ...more
Joseph McBee
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
I have never been a fan of Jeffrey Archer's novels but I have always enjoyed his short story collections. Until this one.

When I asked one of my favorite writers what he thought of Archer's writing he relplied with one word: "pedestrian."

I can't disagree, but to tell the truth, that is one of the things I always liked about his work. I am the kind of guy who likes reading on Facebook and Twitter what my friends had for lunch, or where they went for the weekend. Archer's stories always appealed to
shanghao
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to shanghao by: My sis
As expected from Jeffrey Archer. I've never actually read his full-length novels, but from this collection I'm pretty sure I'd like his stories.

This tome packs stories he'd gathered all over the globe, some based on true stories, some imagined. The writing style was modest, sometimes a little formulaic or too indulgent in my opinion, but overall it's good in the name of entertainment.

Not to say that I like all or even one of the characters in the many short stories; many of them were almost cari
Matt
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
While I always prefer Archer in his full length, this collection of stories was quite interesting. Some were great, others so-so, but overall, I enjoyed them. I found some that had me sitting on the edge of my seat, while others checking to see how many pages until they ended.

Archer can be fickle, or at least I find myself being fickle when reading him. I either love the story or I can't be bothered. Such was the case here. The dry wit of some stories kept me interested, while the drawn out and
Joy H.
Added 8/14/15.
I tried reading Archer's short stories in his book, "And Thereby Hangs A Tale." I didn't enjoy the stories I read. I found them dry and too filled with uninteresting twists. In order to reach the "surprise endings", you have to read through too many explanations about the various paths the characters have to enact in order for the reader to reach the surprise ending.

Another reason I didn't enjoy Archer's short stories is that his characters aren't likable. It's no fun reading about
Saimah
Jul 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has shattered almost all of my Archer-is-a-good-story-teller opinions. This book is a collection of 15 short stories, some being Archer's own experiences while others just fiction. However what is common between both the kinds is their ordinary quality. Most of the stories failed to keep me engrossed and considering Archer's style of writing, the twists (if they can be called so) by the end of the stories were predictable. Few of them were, as a matter of fact, horribly disappointing.
Moira Fogarty
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A few of these stories were weaker than the others, but overall a fun collection to listen to on the train. I always find Archer's writing relaxing; his relentless obsession with money - having it, buying status symbols with it, using it to impress and seduce women, losing it and regaining it against all odds - is so overblown and utterly absurd, it's like watching an episode of Robin Leech's "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" brought into a tidy textual format. I feel as though this is a man w ...more
Julie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Short collection of tales. Some felt very unfinished.
I never realized until now that JA’s characters all have the same arch: overlooked/poor/young/person with ambition, achieves whatever it is that they want, then die/get injured/lose everything.
If you have anything better, or any OTHER JA book in the house, read that instead of this.
David Wingert
Jul 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
“And Thereby Hangs a Tale” is a collection of shorts by Jeffrey Archer which I really enjoyed. It is composed mostly of tales from everyday life with a twist ending. Many based on true stories. I recommend this book.
Gerrie
Feb 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
3.5 out of 5 stars
Bill Fisher
Apr 15, 2019 rated it liked it
15 easy to read stories. Just easy reading by a great story teller. Relaxing reading.
Jane Long
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
Haven't read a Jeffrey Archer in a loooonnnng time and wasn't disappointed. This was 15 short stories. Each one was gripping. Full of suspense and detail.
Ankita Arora
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
Its a collection of 15 short stories, 10 of which are based on true events. Each story has an interesting tale which you are sure to be engrossed in.

I am so happy I chose this book because I love short stories which have a common theme, in this case: leaving you thinking and wanting for more, while some give you the perfect closure. Archer travelled across the globe and gathered these 15 stories in over 6 years and you can tell how he has managed to gather the essence of that place too.
All of th
Jim B
May 31, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy Jeffrey Archer as a writer and this was an opportunity to sample a lot of different stories. Besides telling stories where there is an interesting crime or interesting characters or a twist at the end, I also enjoy "the dropping of the other shoe" when a small detail in the beginning of the story (for example, the character studies Shakespeare) leads to a small detail later in the story, provoking a smile for me.

My favorite stories in this book were the old man who was so concerned that
Siaw Hui
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I've always been a fan of Jeffrey Archer's collection of short stories ever since I picked up "A Quiver Full of Arrows" for my high school subject of English Literature. I've always liked the way Archer keeps his prose short and sweet, and his unexpected plot twists are just that!

In "And Thereby Hangs A Tale", Archer's knack for keeping things succinct and plot endings unexpected continues. Furthermore, the fact that some of the short stories in this set are true just sweetens the deal a tad bit
Rishi Prakash
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is not without reason that Jeffrey Archer is called a Master Story Teller...once again he has proved the same in this book. I think writing short stories is the most difficult thing as you have to put everything in a very short space and hence I always admire those authors who manage to do it well and this is one such book where every story has come out great. Go for it if you like short stories :-)
Graham Armstrong
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I have to admit this is the first Jeffrey Archer novel that I have read and the fact that it was filled with short stories made it a good introduction to his writing style and story telling. Some of the short stories you want to be made into longer stories because you want to find out what happened to the characters. All in all a great, quick read.
Angela
Oct 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I basically LOVE everything that Jeffrey Archer writes! His short stories are always delightful in that they leave a smile on your face with their twists and turns. 12 of the 15 in this collection were based on actual events. Very crafty writing.
Jim A
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the premiere story tellers and the master of the short story, Jeffrey Archer does it again. Fifteen short stories, all of which contain a twist.

As with all compilations of short stories, some are better than others but all are worth reading.
Richa Sharma
Dec 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Stories from all over the world narrated by the master story teller, Jeffrey Archer. Some keep you guessing, some have unexpected twists and some leave you craving for more. This book may finally motivate me to pick up more of his works.

• Under the Banyan Tree and Other Stories
  • The Miracle
  • Jeffrey Archer Presents: New Wife
  • Hymns of the Republic: The Story of the Final Year of the American Civil War
  • Friends in Small Places: Ruskin Bond's Unforgettable People
  • Screwed (Daniel McEvoy, #2)
  • The Citizen
  • If I Forget You
  • Almost Single
  • Edge of Eternity: by Ken Follett (The Century Trilogy, Book 3) | Summary & Analysis
  • The Hobbit, Part 2 of 2
  • Malgudi Adventures. Classic Tales For Children
  • The Last Siege
  • The Instant Millionaire
  • The Portrait of a Lady
  • The India I Love
  • Waiting for Tansen
  • Salt and Sawdust
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married