Start by marking “Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)” as Want to Read:
Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)

Ice Cold

(Rizzoli & Isles #8)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  38,018 ratings  ·  2,187 reviews
In Wyoming for a medical conference, Boston medical examiner Maura Isles joins a group of friends on a spur-of-the-moment ski trip. But when their SUV stalls on a snow-choked mountain road, they're stranded with no help in sight.
As night falls, the group seeks refuge from the blizzard in the remote village of Kingdom Come, where twelve eerily identical houses stand dark an
Published June 29th 2010 by Ballantine Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ice Cold, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Katie
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Cheryl Truscott This was my first Isles and Rizzoli novel and I had no trouble following the story line so I’d say yes you could read this as a stand-alone.

·  38,018 ratings  ·  2,187 reviews

Start your review of Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
Jean
May 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What could be more refreshing on a hot 90-degree Fahrenheit May day than reading a book titled Ice Cold? Tess Gerritsen’s eighth Rizzoli & Isles thriller is quite a chiller! What starts as a November get-away for a medical conference turns out to be an unwanted adventure of the worst kind for pathologist Dr. Maura Isles.

Maura meets up with an old med school colleague while attending a conference in Wyoming and agrees to accompany him, his teenage daughter, and another couple on a cross-country s
Jenn
Aug 03, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
WHY Tess, why????

Allow me to premise this review by saying that I have read every one of Ms. Gerritsen’s books and loved most of them (barring only the Mephisto Club). She is a brilliant writer, and the first few novels of Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles were wonderful, theatrical worthy thrillers. This book was an ENORMOUS disappointment.

For awhile, her books have slowly and steadily become less about the crime and mystery thriller aspects, than about some personal agenda. Each new book seems to
Jonetta
Maura Isles attends a medical conference in Wyoming and reunites with a man she knew from college. A spur of the moment decision to join him, his two friends and teenage daughter for a skiing junket proves to be foolhardy when they get lost on the way and end up stranded in a remote location. They find 12 deserted cabins nearby in a place called Kingdom Come and fight for survival with no cell service or electricity.

I jumped into this story without reading the blurb and liked that I had no idea
Thomas
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a tense mystery with more than one villain. Dr. Maura Isles, Boston Medical Examiner, is in Wyoming for a medical conference. The conference is over and she is invited on a last minute ski trip by an old acquaintance from medical school. She joins his party only to get caught in a blizzard on a dirt road. Their SUV goes into a ditch and they walk to an abandoned group of houses on a private road. There is a car in each garage and food on the tables in many houses. Something happened th
Erin
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ice Cold is book number 8 in the Rizzoli & Isles series. This one started off a little slow but finished strong. While in Wyoming for a medical conference Maura Isles joins a group of friends on a ski trip and gets stranded in a blizzard. Days later charred remains identified as Maura's are discovered. Jane Rizzoli and her husband set out for Wyoming to recover her remains.

I don't want to say much more because this book has so many layers and it's best if you go in blind. Ice Cold was the first
Barbara
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was ok

In this 8th book in the 'Rizzoli and Isles' series, medical examiner Maura Isles finds a body while she's in Wyoming for a medical conference. The book can be read as a standalone.

*****

After a Wyoming medical conference is finished, Maura Isles and her friends take off on an icy road to go skiing. Their car stalls, and they hike to some nearby buildings where they make as startling discovery.

Maura and her companions find a burnt body, which is an interesting development, but the story quickly go
Heidi
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-goal, mysteries
The Rizzoli and Isles series is a solid bet for a great read, every installment. But Gerritsen really knocked it out of the park this time.

Certainly starts a bit on the slow side— but grab a deep breath because somewhere in the first quarter of the book, it takes off! Twice I had to put it down because I was either too creeped out or couldn’t take the suspense. So take a deep breath because once it gets going, you may be breathless too!

No need to recap the storyline— others do that far better t
Paige  Bookdragon
Linda Alexander
Oct 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the reasons I enjoyed 'Ice Cold' to such a degree was due to the story mostly dealing with a cult, because it seems there are quite a few in the U.S. and it is alarming how much control they have over their members' minds. Tess Gerritsen certainly found a hot topic to write about in my opinion.

Tess just really 'hooks' a person at the get-go, and next thing one is so absorbed into the lives of the characters. I started this book on Monday and found myself staying up all night to finish it-
Jim
“I believe that every experience, every wrong decision, teaches us something. That’s why we shouldn’t be afraid to make mistakes.”

Boston medical examiner Dr. Maura Isles is headed to a pathologists' conference in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. As she is about to depart she finds herself at a crossroads in her relationship with Fr. Daniel Brophy. She is tired of the secrecy and inability to be with him or even to be able talk with him. She looks at homicide detective Jane Rizzoli and her FBI agent husba
Carmela
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book starts out with all the twists and turns that make for a good mystery thriller with great reintroduction of some favourite characters. However, the use of the cult and the initial introduction from a character that is found to be less than important leads this book astray, sometimes less is also more.
Gary
Another solid read

Gerritsen manages to crank out book after book that is consistently solid, well plotted, and entertaining. I return to this series between my other books, so to speak, because I know I can count on a reliable story with new twists.
This book blends an isloated cult story together with a generally creepy atmosphere that works largely due to the author's skill in creating a setting, likable characters, and leaving the reader never sure exactly what is going on.
Usually when I have
April Thompson
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Am I the only one that thought some of the book felt unfinished? Quite a bit of the story is built around the secondary characters, yet, their story seems to dissipate.
Claire
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read a few books from Tess Gerritsen, so I expected this one to be like the others: a nice read, but nothing special.
However, this book really surprised me. A lot of things happened and there was plenty of suspense. Also, the book gives little clues on what is really going on. Just as the MC you are in the dark, trying to figure out what and who can be trusted.
This atmosphere is kept well through the book. The end, that came as a surprise was a bit disappointing. I really would have loved
Alisha Marie
Jul 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery-thriller
You'd think that once the 8th book in a series rolls around, the author would lose steam with the characters and they would transform into caricatures of what they once were. This is not at all the case with Ice Cold. In fact, I am positive that Ice Cold has to be the best one yet, even beating The Mephisto Club when it comes to my favorite Rizzoli and Isles book.

Ice Cold was definitely the Rizzoli and Isles book with the most suspense. The whole survival story line had me flipping the pages at
Ruth E. R.
I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys suspense and crime fiction. Medical gore sometimes occurs. Tess Gerritsen has been a practicing physician in New England and is one of my favorite current novelists. I trust her not to let me down, as so much other current fiction does (sometimes leading me to not finish their book). Not so here! It is not a spoiler to tell you, as the jacket description does, that medical examiner Maura Isles dies in this one. This one is also a good winter read!

I'm w
* kyrat
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans w/ strong stomachs
Shelves: murder-mystery
Susan
Jul 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Wanda
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
It was OK.
I loved Tess Gerritsen, just as once upon a time I loved Kathy Reich. Unfortuntately something happens to writers of good books when they become best selling authors. Perhaps not to all, but to some of them.
This boook was a competent beach read and nothing more. Gerritsen's other books were so much better, but it seems as though she has sold out to the forces of those in the publishing world who control James Patterson, Kathy Reich, the Kellermans, Jeffrey Deaver etc, etc.
When dollars
Erin
Apr 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I started reading the plot of this book to a relative and was told to stop because it was too freaky. Absolutely edge of the seat action!
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book gave a change of pace as it takes place in Wyoming. Maura gets trapped with a small group who have gone for a weekend adventure after a medical conference. Their car goes off the road in a snow storm and their situation goes from bad to worse. There were some interesting aspects of the plot and it was good to see Rizzoli and Dean second guess the local law enforcement.

It stalled a bit in the middle. The twist in the plot was good but I would have like to see a few more details at the e
Fergie
May 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In many ways, Ice Cold seems like several novels wrapped into one, interconnected by mysterious details that only come into full light after the last page is read. Tess Gerritsen knows how to layer her novels better than most authors, and this book is no exception. She meticulously lays out the plot without the pace of the novel suffering as a result of it. Ice Cold’s story belongs to the character of Dr. Maura Isles, medical examiner from the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. While most of the ser ...more
Dane Jackson
Mar 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was my first dose of Rizzoli and Isles and I liked the experience. This wasn't your typical murder mystery thriller, so I really enjoyed the change of pace. The only drawback is that since this was my first experience in Gerritsen's world, I didn't feel like I got to know Rizzoli and Isles well enough in the novel. Luckily, the book was good, so I have no problem going back to their earlier adventures.

Gary
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The 8th book in the Rizzoli and Isles series by Tess Gerritsen.
This is an excellent series of books that features Jane Rizzoli a police homicide detective and Maura Isles a medical examiner.
The books are very well written and show a very good knowledge of Police procedure. The interaction between the main two characters is very effective and makes very entertaining reading.
Ivi
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I totally loved it 5 stars~~:)))
Melissa
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maura Isles decides to spontaneously go on a ski trip with an old friend she meets up with at a medical conference and it doesn't take long for things to go horribly wrong. Maura finds herself and the 4 other occupants of the vehicle stranded on an unforgiving mountain covered in snow. Their only shelter is a few eerily abandoned cabins in a village called Kingdom Come. The group slowly learns about the occupants of the abandoned cabins through what has been left behind and it looks like they di ...more
Michael
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-books
Wow what a great read. I must confess that The Killing Place is the first Tess Gerritsen book ive read and know im thinking to myself i have to read more of her books pronto. The story starts in curious circumstances with the Sheldon family George, his wife and daughter Katie being in a compound run by the mysterious leader calling himself Jebediah. Jebediah had been studying the young girl for a while something that left me distured. The true meaning of the first chapter would be revealed later ...more
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
Jan 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Tess Gerritsen Fans
Random House did a 50 copy first reads giveaway for Ice Cold, then through arrangement with Tess Gerritsen, the publisher gave away 5 copies to our small Tess Gerritsen Fans group! I got me an advanced readers copy and loved it! The story is set in the middle nowhere - Wyoming in the winter :-) We see many old friends and meet some new characters that are sure to turn up in future books. ICE COLD worked the same magic on me as Tess's 2008 release, The Keepsake (although I must say The Keepsake r ...more
Krystle
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorites so far this year! Suspenseful, creepy, and surprising! This is the first Rizzoli and Isles book I've read, and now I want to read them all!
Emma
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 stars.

An improvement on the last one.
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question C 5 7 Aug 01, 2019 02:59PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question B 5 4 Aug 01, 2019 02:31PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question A 4 6 Aug 01, 2019 05:25AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 5 5 Mar 31, 2019 02:36PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question G 4 4 Mar 28, 2019 11:52PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 6 3 Mar 28, 2019 11:50PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question D 4 4 Mar 28, 2019 11:49PM

• Ќерката на дрвосечачот
  • Флерт, уцени и високи потпетици
  • Нечесна Игра
  • Corazones Perdidos
  • فديتك يا ليلى
  • Njegove bele rukavice
  • Првиот универзитетски ден на мојата ќерка
  • Faldende masker  (Roland Triel, #6)
  • Live to Tell (Detective D.D. Warren, #4)
  • Proxy
  • Väg 9 (Cold Case, #2)
  • Devojka iz Bruklina
  • Series in Order: Tess Gerritsen: New Releases 2016: Rizzoli and Isles in Order
  • Pitbull (Kaldan og Schäfer, #3)
  • غادة كربلاء
  • Вештица
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)