Start by marking “Nem Lágrimas de Cristal” as Want to Read:
Nem Lágrimas de Cristal

Nem Lágrimas de Cristal (Humanx Commonwealth #9)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  2,385 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
Before Man and insectlike Thranx had become allies, when the reptilian AAnn were just occasional raiders of Thranx colony worlds, one young Thranx agricultural expert lived a life of quiet desperation.
A dreamer in a world of sensible, stable beings, Ryo buried himself in his work -- reclaiming marshland from a tenacious jungle -- until he came across a letter describing a
Paperback, nº 73 da Colecção Caminho de bolso - Ficção Científica, 192 pages
Published July 1988 by Editorial Caminho (first published 1982)

Fred D
Feb 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was the first book I ever read by Alan Dean Foster. I had perhaps an unusual reaction to this book. I really, really loved this book. Perhaps he didn't mean to be that powerful, but I was really touched by it. It is the story of the First Contact between two sentient races, the Thranx and the Humans. It is told from the point of view of the Thranx, an insect-like race resembling praying mantises. The main character is a Thranx agricultural engineer named Ryo. I quickly and very strongly ide ...more
Paul
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
F.J. Hansen
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
My introduction to Alan Dean Foster's Commonwealth Universe.

I picked this book up from the giveaway pile at my high school library about 10 years ago, though it wasn't until a few years later that I got around to reading it. When I picked it up, the kid who had picked it up before me dismissed it and said something negative about it (even though he hadn't read it). When I finally read it, I was SO glad I ignored him. I was intrigued by Michael Whelan's cover art--a Human and an insect (two compl
Banner
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Written from the POV of the alien (humans are the monsters in this story) we learn a great deal about the culture of the Thranx. I love the first chapter which introduces us to Ryo (the protagonist). He is cunning, resourceful and drawn to the humans for some unexplainable reason.

I've not read any other books in the Humanx Commonwealth series and I don't think I missed anything by starting here. I am interested to see where this series goes with the human & Thranx relationship now that cont
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mass
This is a re-read for me, and I still find it just as exciting and readable as I remember it. Ryo leaves his exceedingly ordered life when he hears that intelligent aliens have been discovered. Along with the poet Wuu he tracks down the persistence rumors and rescues the aliens; fleeing with them to try to establish an alliance between them and his species. After a few false starts and amazingly few dead bodies, they unite against a common enemy--the AAnn.
Max Longton
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome book that in my opinion realistically describes the strains between alien races in achieving an alliance. Author is especially clever in devising the plan the protagonist carries out unify the races,
Michelle
Oct 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely amazing book about the problems alien races have with first contact.
Cameron Scott
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Foster's writing reminded me a little bit of Ursula Le Guin's. Which is a good thing. It is simple and elegantly structured prose through which big ideas and small flit around and gain weight. An easy story to enter and a believable story.

My one qualm was with the pacing of the last twenty pages. Time, which unfolded quite steadily until then, suddenly became a bit unkempt and hurvy turvy. Changing what would have been a five star review to a four.

Jadetyger Sevea
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
I actually finished this two days ago. I really enjoyed 'Nor Crystal Tears'. I take off half a point because it seemed as if the characters were constantly escaping from somewhere (so much so that the main character, Ryo, comments on it!). Still, that's a minor quibble. I loved Ryo, and found the worldbuilding and character details fascinating. I will be reading more of this series as soon as I can figure out the order to read it in.
Tina
Ooh, I loved this. Clearly a novel I bought because the cover is amazing, but the story itself is also so much fun.

I really enjoy world-building novels, novels where there is an alien perspective, and novels when alien cultures encounter us humans and then try to figure out why the hell we do what we do. This novel is full of all three, but it never gets dull or repetitive. Mainly because the aliens aren’t morons. I mean, you sometimes see sci-fi movies where the humans are on an alien ship and
Kelley Ross
Dec 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Bradley
Sep 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books which opens its arms and welcomes you home. So much more than a page-turner, this book is a prime example of why I love science fiction and fantasy. I lost myself in this world and read it all in one sitting in the middle of the night. This is one of those rare books that is a must-have. I wildly recommend it. My dreams after reading were almost as good. My imagination raged about how *I* would have continued the story. Great book. All I have is sleepy and determined p ...more
B. Zedan
Jun 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who like first-contact books and bugs
Shelves: real-book
This is one of the books I totally stole from my mom when I moved out because I couldn't imagine not having it around. Fascinating insectoid space-faring race! They smell like flowers! First contact with humans!

And, as usual, Foster is kind of a bio nerd, which is endlessly enjoyable when applied to world building.
Brent
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An amazing novel of first contact; I've read it at least 3 times and plan to do so again. The Thranx are fascinating and Alan Dean Foster has done a great job of creating them; their thoughts, society, and worlds.
Deirdre
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has, in my mind, the best starting line ever...

"It's hard to be a larva." Beyond that I don't think it's the strongest book in Foster's Commonwealth series, but it sets the perfect tone.
Stephanie
Apr 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
This was a great story about first contact between humans and an alien race from the viewpoint of the aliens. I highly recommend giving this one a read!
Brett Thomasson
Although he's ranged across the science fiction and fantasy landscapes in his 45 years as an author, Alan Dean Foster is probably best known for his novels in the universe of the Humanx Commonwealth, a sprawling galactice milieu dominated by humans and the insectoid Thranx. In 1982's Nor Crystal Tears, he told the story of the first contact between the two disparate species, and the bold action taken by some of their more visionary members that helped birth their most beneficial union.

Ryozenzuze
Barbara
Jan 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An oldie but a goodie. Very satisfying story of first contact between 2 worlds, complete with vivid descriptions of alien biology, history, psychology and careers. Larval thranx and human children at boarding school together was a charming construct, no matter how unlikely it would have been to get parents to cooperate without more info.
Erika Worley
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book about perspective and understanding.
Tabitha
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aliens, first-contact
Haven't read this book since high school, wanted to see if it held up and it sure did! This book is as cute as its buggy little protag.
Katie Robles
Sep 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting characters and civilizations; loved the "what if" scenario presented. Has an Asimov-like feel which I enjoyed. Touch of humor. Great read.
Timothy
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable Foster sci-fi story.
Catburglar
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genre: science fiction, space travel, alien contact
A bit sloppily written, but an outstanding story.
David C. Mueller
This novel is an engaging first contact story set some centuries from now and told from an alien's point of view. The alien here is a Thranx; the Thranx are a race of sentient beings reminiscent of giant praying mantises. While the alien's appearance is definitely non-human, his thoughts and feelings are quite akin to those expressed by humans. In the best tradition of first contact stories, this novel makes keen observations about humanity by comparing it to a sentient race equal in technology ...more
Kiryn Silverwing
I am a particular fan of books that explore the first encounters and steps toward peace between fundamentally different creatures, especially when those books are largely from the point of view of the non-humans. (I've got a pretty good idea of how humans would react to aliens by now, it's more fun to see things from the other side.)

I was also quite obsessed with insects as a child, so maybe it was predetermined that I would love this book.

This book was a recommendation from a friend, and it's b
Kirsti
I believe this was the first science fiction book I ever read and perhaps even the first 'adult' book. I would take it down from the bookshelf to admire the cover and it felt like years before I successfully convinced my dad that I was ready to read a 'big' book. I don't recall any real details other than that I loved it. I love first-contact stories to this day. I'm almost afraid to track it down to read again, for fear it would be less enjoyable.
Duane
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alan Dean Foster is astonishingly prolific and his work is of decent quality-comparable to Golden Age writers like Eric Frank Russell and James H Schmitz. Fast-moving space-operatic sf adventure is his stock-in-trade but he's versatile enough to tackle any subject with aplomb.
This book is part of his wonderful Humanx Commonwealth series.
Jodie
Mar 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: geeks-read
I could not initially get into this book - but after getting nudged by friends I did finish it. Too slow of a start for me - and I'm not keen on bugs - but then again I suppose that is part of the premise. The story does pick up and was more interesting after contact was finally made.
Charles Chlipala
Aug 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Science Fiction book that was not Star Wars that I ever read. It launched a decade long love affair with Science Fiction. Although I should point out that ADF's Splinter of a Mind Eye made me remember the author name
Ron Johnson
Apr 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
x
Goodreads Librari...: Series number is incorrect 5 26 Feb 20, 2018 04:34PM
  • Counting the Cost
  • Wolfling
  • Irsud
  • The Fuzzy Papers (Fuzzy Sapiens, #1-2)
  • The Court of a Thousand Suns (Sten, #3)
  • Warriors of the Storm (Rings of the Master, #3)
  • Star Light
  • Serpent's Reach
  • Stronghold Rising (Sholan Alliance, #6)
  • The Psycho-technic League
  • Mighty Good Road
  • A Gift from Earth (Known Space)
Bestselling science fiction writer Alan Dean Foster was born in New York City in 1946, but raised mainly in California. He received a B.A. in Political Science from UCLA in 1968, and a M.F.A. in 1969. Foster lives in Arizona with his wife, but he enjoys traveling because it gives him opportunities to meet new people and explore new places and cultures. This interest is carried over to his writing, ...more
More about Alan Dean Foster...

Humanx Commonwealth (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Tar-Aiym Krang (Pip & Flinx #1)
  • Bloodhype (Pip & Flinx #2)
  • Icerigger (Icerigger, #1)
  • Midworld (Humanx Commonwealth, #4)
  • Orphan Star (Pip & Flinx #3)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • Mission to Moulokin (Icerigger, #2)
  • Cachalot (Humanx Commonwealth, #8)
  • For Love of Mother-Not (Pip & Flinx #5)
  • Voyage to the City of the Dead (Humanx Commonwealth #11)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Spontaneity is one of the joys of existence, especially if you prepare for it in advance.” 10 likes
“A little bit of everything you admire eventually rubs off on you.” 3 likes