Start by marking “Bright Eyes, Brown Skin” as Want to Read:
Bright Eyes, Brown Skin

Bright Eyes, Brown Skin

"Adapted from the original poem, Bright Eyes, Brown Skin"--T.p. verso.
Published December 1st 1990 by Just Us Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Bright Eyes, Brown Skin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bright Eyes, Brown Skin

Start your review of Bright Eyes, Brown Skin
Chui Ying
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
One of the classics in our early childhood programme, Bright Eyes, Brown Skin is a simple book that celebrates racial diversity and positive self-image. It is so important to introduce to children the existence of people of all races and ethnicities. This is especially so in our school where some new families have expressed concerns that their children fear our teachers of colour because of their skin tone. Embracing racial diversity continues to be such a huge part of education not just for the ...more
Ashley Wannenburg
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I think the book "Bright Eyes, Brown Skin" was an incredible book with absolutely beautiful illustrations. The book is a really easy read and is very simple, I liked how the book talked about racial diversity, and think that plays a very important part in early childhood education. The book should be read to children because it talks about different skin colors, and why children may not look the same.
Whitney Leanhart
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is wonderful to read. It tells of four friends who have bright eyes and brown skin. Ultimately this book is great to share with younger children and for them to find reasons about themselves that they love as well.
Cheryl
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it
Absolutely joyful. Too bad it's dated what with the telephone and the naptime cots. Love the last page, in which the names of the children are revealed and the implication made that these are real kids that the creators of the book knew.
Teonna Taylor
Four young kids are filled with pride,love, and happiness as they admire the brown skin and features of themselves and others.
Bruce
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
For young North American readers of African ancestry his joyfully illustrated verse celebrating their features and complexions fully lives up to its intention to be a “Feeling Good” book.
Natasha Winchester
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-to-kids
Its a great book to help teach the children about someone who is different then them.
Ciara White
“Bright Eyes, Brown Skin” is a fictional story of 4 little children who love themselves from head to toe. The story follows the African-American children throughout their day at school. I picked up this book because I love the message behind it. It illustrates young children embracing who they are and feeling comfortable in their own skin. However, I found this book to be overly simplified. I feel children would be uninterested because the book lacks intriguing language and a storyline. No probl ...more
Jamie
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Main Characters: Alexa, Ethan, Jordan, Olivia
POV: third person
Setting: kindergarten classroom
Grade Level: pre-k to 1

Summary
Bright eyes and brown skin is a simple story that is all about feeling good about who you are. This is a narrative poem which describes different physical characteristics of African American children. The pictures compliment the words as they show happy children who are comfortable playing with eachother and with who they are. The book also mentions traits that some would no
Kristen Lindsay
Oct 22, 2013 rated it liked it
"Bright Eyes, Brown Skin" tells the story of African American children whom embrace their race with enjoying their physical features.In this simple rhyme book, the characters of Olivia, Jordan, Alexa and Ethan play with each other while exploring the unique physical characteristics of each child. Everything from bright eyes to ears for listening are commented on. Although, the book highlights African- American children the book still applies to all racial backgrounds and culture. The book center ...more
Gail Barge
This would be a good book for pre-k and kindergarten. The words are very simple and would be good for beginning readers. I would use this book in conjunction with other books about accepting differences in skin tone. Good to use if students have noticed a difference in skin color between the students in a class. A teacher could use books similar to this to show that just because skin tone is different, every person is still important and equal.
Kaylan Nurse
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity
This story shows a regular day at school in a classroom of students of different race and cultures. The children in this book are comfortable with their skin colors and the way they are. This is a good book for young children and beginning to get them into the idea of learning about being comfortable with their own race as well as taking in the ideas about others. I would read this story aloud to my class in order to keep them interested in the topic of race.
Sara Bland
Apr 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
A great book for helping students build self esteem and confidence in their appearance. This book features only African American children, and gently compliments all of the children's features that are unique to their background. I love the positive energy that oozes from this book about self worth and happiness. I would definitely recommend this book to any student aged K-2 for self esteem building and cultural awareness.
Devon
A quick read geared towards African American children about their bodies and special traits, like hair and the color of their skin. An excellent book for self-esteem, and just to let kids know that there's nothing wrong with them. Good for all children, though, not just black children, so we can all celebrate our differences and similarities in and out of the classroom.
Megan
This book gives a brief look into the day and life of the typical preschooler. The illustrations complement the words on the pages by adding more depth to the story. The words simply tell the reader that these children are eager to learn and happy to be at school, but with the illustrations, the reader is SHOWN exactly what is being discovered, painting a much bigger picture.
Stephanie Delvecchio
Four children who feel good about who they are and how they look enjoy the activities of a typical day at school, happy and brimming with confidence and self-esteem.

This is a great book to share with children who are not feeling good about being different. This would be a good read aloud book.
Lisa Arthur
Apr 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think this is a excellent book for Preschool and Kindergarten children. It shows not everyone is same. Not everyone may look the same and why they may have a different color skin. It is way for children to understand why other children may have different colored skin and it be ok.
Katherine Brown
It is important for students to be able to relate to the characters in the book. This is a great book to help diversify one's classroom library. It helps to represent to all students the we are all one in the same.
Ngenama1
cute book. very simple language used. in a few words the author sends a message of uniqueness and similarities at the same time.
Leandra
Great book for building self-esteem. Very simple but the message is beautiful.
Nanee Zogaa
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fun book to read. Not a hard read, so may suit only pre-kindergarten, maybe even kindergarten.
Satin
-great illustrations
- good to use if/when students tease others about the color of the skin
- can be used to motivate students who do not feel confident about their skin
Gennie Hendrick
This is a simple read. There are very few words on the pages and children will enjoy creating their own story from the pictures. This book is great for discussing diversity in the classroom also.
Jasmine
Aug 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bright eyes, Brown skin is a good book to read during the black history month to teach students about difference of race in a diverse classroom.
Sandra
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Alicia Zuern
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book doesn't have many books but it is a very good book. Its short and simple and to the point. How the children are different but all the same in the own ways.
Sha-Quita Jordan
A great book to build self-esteem!! Very simple and very cute. (first-second grade)
RoneshaM
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-lit
This is a great book that should be in about every classroom. This book is a perfect size and the illustrations are great. It is also a great way to bring a different culture into the book. And it is great because the setting is a classroom, most likely a kindergarten classroom. The characters were adorable and I love the fact that one the characters were inspired by their daughter( Bernette and George). The illustrations were mostly what the characters were doing in the classroom such as Dramat ...more
Genera F
Must-have for black families
Alycia Kelly
This was an interesting read. I enjoyed reading this story, as it is not every day that you read or even find books for young children written about different cultures. This story was about four young children who like each other for who they are.

• We Don't Eat Our Classmates
  • Pizza Pat (Step-Into-Reading, Step 2)
  • Cookie's Week
  • Pete the Cat and the Cool Cat Boogie
  • The Very First Thanksgiving Day
  • If You Give a Pig a Pancake
  • Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons
  • When Sophie Gets Angry -- Really, Really Angry
  • David Goes to School
  • Remembering Dale Earnhardt: Wonderful Stories Celebrating the Life of Racing's Greatest Driver
  • Resurrection (Wicked, #5)
  • The Witch of Portobello
  • Beauty and the Beast
  • The Witch's Grave (Fever Devilin, #2)
  • Tim Burton's The Nightmare Before Christmas
  • Wicked: Witch & Curse (Wicked, #1-2)
  • Molly Moon's Incredible Book of Hypnotism (Molly Moon, #1)
  • Wicked 2: Legacy & Spellbound (Wicked, #3-4)
Cheryl Willis Hudson is the author of a dozen books for children, including BRIGHT EYES, BROWN SKIN (coauthored with Bernette G. Ford) and COME BY HERE, LORD: EVERYDAY PRAYERS FOR CHILDREN. She says that HANDS CAN was inspired by her own children. "I was amazed by the versatility, dexterity, utility, and even gracefulness of such small fingers," she says. "I began to see hands as marvelous works o ...more

News & Interviews