Start by marking “Muggie Maggie” as Want to Read:
Muggie Maggie

Muggie Maggie

What's all the fuss about? At first, Maggie is just being contrary when she tells her parents she doesn't need to learn cursive. Then her teacher, Mrs. Leeper, says Maggie's cursive is so untidy her name looks like Muggie, and Maggie decides she will never, never read or write cursive. Nobody can make her. But when Mrs. Leeper appoints Maggie class mail messenger, the note ...more
Published May 6th 2008 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1990)

Catherine
Dec 31, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-readers
While I think the subject matter of this book is a good topic, the adults in this story are just awful - from the parents to the teacher. As a teacher, this teacher does not inspire Maggie to learn in a positive way, nor do her parents, nor her father's secretary.
Madeline
A silly, but amusing little book about a third-grade girl's battle to learn cursive. I'm reviewing it only because it really sticks out in my memory, because this book influenced my own handwriting. So, in the book, Maggie's mother is telling her how when she was in college, all the girls she knew dotted their i's with circles because they thought it was artistic. At the end of the book, Maggie starts doing this too. This idea stuck with me for some reason, and when i was thirteen I spent an ent ...more
Heather E.
Feb 03, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenilia
This book was a little tricky for my kids because they have to be able to read cursive to read the book, and by the time they can read cursive it's below their reading level.
Chelsey
Apr 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, best-beloved, ra-mg
My childhood!
Liz
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love all things Beverly Cleary. I wish cursive was still more of a thing.
Holly Splawn
Great concept, but the characters are not as nearly endearing as those in the Ramona series.
Natalie
Feb 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, bob, junior-fiction
Wow. This book is so stupid. As a teacher I found it completely ridiculous. It was written in 1990 but felt like something from the 50s. The thought of a girl being sent to the principal for not writing in cursive is so dumb, even in the 90s. (At least where I grew up. If anyone did grow up in a school like that, I feel sad for you.)

Maggie decides (for no good reason) that she doesn't want to learn cursive. The teacher concocts this stupid plan to get her to want to read cursive. I can't imagin
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I grew up reading Beverly Cleary's books both at home and school, and loved most of the characters in the Henry and Ramona series. The schools depicted were true to the time of publication and I could relate to the kids' thoughts and feelings.

Not so Muggie Maggie. For 1990, the school sounded a lot like the 1960s--we stopped "saluting the flag" way back about 1970, unless they've started again. The teacher's emphasis on being "good citizens" was old hat thirty years ago, and makes the book feel
Siomara
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this. It was about a third grader who could just not understand script.
Nevada Libert
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cursive
this is a great book about cursive and how a girl did not like cursive but in the end reallised that cursive is important and fun.
Kelsey Rice
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rdng-350
This book is about a girl going into third grade named Maggie. Third grade is where students learn to write cursive. Maggie refuses to write cursive and does not see the point in writing cursive. Maggie's teacher sends her on many errands to other teacher's classrooms with notes. She writes very single one in cursive because Maggie can not read cursive and her teacher hopes this will motivate her to want to learn cursive. Maggie reads every single letter and becomes curious. Eventually is able t ...more
Molly Campbell
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
Muggie Maggie is about a young girl named Maggie who is starting the third grade. Maggie decides a the beginning of the school year that she will not learn cursive writing. The story follows Maggie throughout the school year and her journey to keep from learning cursive.

I thought this book was funny. The author brings a relatable subject into the story line and finds a way to talk about it in a humorous way.

I would read this book in a third grade classroom to students who are about to learn cu
Meredith Pocius
David Joseph  Mikels
A fine young adult book
Madz
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book! I read it in 3rd grade and loved it! I love Maggie and the cute little story Beverly Cleary tells about cursive and a girl who is stubborn about not writing cursive.
Izzy
Nov 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A throwback book! I was waiting for another book and decided to pick up this one. Enjoyed Beverly Cleary's fun story and humor
Angie Munoz
Maggie hated cursive but later wants to learn how to write it so she could understand it. A delightful read for second and third graders.
Cena Rhodes
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read aloud with Stormy. She gives it 4 stars but for me it was a 3 star book.
Becca
I like some of Cleary's other books MUCH better.
Cute book that I read together with my youngest daughter. Beverly Cleary has always been my favorite author!
Alicia
Apr 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really cute story. I was engaged to learn how Maggie's family and teachers were going to encourage her to do something she didn't want to. The solution was pretty clever.
Karen Crosby
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book so much! It is very funny! Finished it in a day!!!😂😁😀
Karijean31
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cute book about a third grader that doesn't want to learn how to write cursive.
Dan
Jun 25, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A book about a girl that didn't want to learn cursive and then learns it eventually. I liked the idea of the secret messages.
Trish
Aug 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful!
Amy
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, children
This one felt like there needed to be a little more. Full review here: http://www.sunlitpages.com/2017/07/re...
Kristie Rodas
I grew up reading Beverly Clearly books and loved them but I just did not enjoy this book. At least it was a super quick read otherwise I probably woukdnt have kept going.
Cynthia Egbert
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This was a fun look at the ornery mind of a third grader and the lengths that a good teacher will go in order to move that mind to accept a new concept in her education. I appreciated this one because i am sad to see the teaching of cursive writing going by the wayside.
Izzy
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good. I loved how Maggie H-A-T-E-D hated cursive. I myself am really looking forward to cursive, though. Maggie had a dog, and I thought it was such a sweetie pie.

3 SMILIES!
=) =) =)
Goodreads Librari...: Author name is reversed 2 28 May 13, 2016 07:47AM
a girl little hates curseve 1 6 Mar 23, 2013 08:50AM
  • The Mystery of the Stolen Corn Popper
  • Dogs Don't Tell Jokes (Someday Angeline, #2)
  • Horrible Harry's Secret
  • Hey World, Here I Am!
  • The Twins' Mystery Teacher (Sweet Valley Kids, #3)
  • The Canada Geese Quilt
  • My New Best Friend (Friends for Keeps, #2)
  • Out to Lunch (Katie Kazoo, Switcheroo, #2)
  • Mystery in the Sand (The Boxcar Children, #16)
  • Amber Brown Goes Fourth
  • Do The Funky Pickle
  • Karen's Carnival (Babysitters Little Sister, #20)
  • How to Be Cool in the Third Grade
  • My Mother Got Married (and other disasters)
  • Jelly Belly
  • The Littles Give a Party
  • Good Grief...Third Grade (Marsha & Roger, #1)
  • Happy Birthday, Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle (Mrs. Piggle Wiggle, #5)
Beverly Cleary (born April 12, 1916) is the author of over 30 books for young adults and children. Her characters are normal children facing challenges that many of us face growing up, and her stories are liberally laced with humour. Some of her best known and loved characters are Ramona Quimby and her sister Beatrice ("Beezus"), Henry Huggins, and Ralph S. Mouse.

Beverly Cleary was born Beverly At