Start by marking “Little Heroes” as Want to Read:
Little Heroes

Little Heroes

An over-the-hill rock star, a Puerto Rican street kid, and two children of the electronic age discover strength in numbers when they take on the power of Musik, Inc., in a war of nerves, passion, and rock 'n' roll. Spinrad uses the violent, sexually explicit language of new wave sf to communicate an ultimately touching message of courage and humanity that breaks through th ...more
Published (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Little Heroes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Heroes

Simon Mcleish
Dec 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Originally published on my blog here in September 2001.

In popular music, there has always been an uneasy alliance between the commercial and the artistic and, since rock'n'roll began, the rebellious attitude integral to its success. Little Heroes depicts a future where Muzik Inc. controls just about all pop music - it is a company based at least in part on MTV - and aims to take away entirely the difficult to control human artist from the discs they sell. Spinrad's vision looks as though it coul
Linda
I loved this book. Spinrad rants long and wordily at points, but the underlying energy and plot carries you past the problems. Unlike some of his other works (Bug Jack Baron, I'm looking at you), Little Heroes has aged well. This was a really fun read, and with the whole issue of DRM and rights management, its sentiments remain remarkably applicable today. The spirit of rock and roll is alive and well, despite the machinations of the pinheads upstairs.
Tucker
Aug 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Written well before anyone had ever heard of MTV, cyberspace, designer drugs, virtual reality, or CGI this is a rowdy, raucous, raunchy, rebellious tale that is both a great read and great social commentary.
Olethros
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it
-Otra forma de hacer género.-

Género. Ciencia-Ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. Glorianna OToole es una madura cantante de Rock sin ningún gran éxito tras cuarenta años en la industria y que aunque odia a Muzik, Inc. y a todo lo que representa acepta una entrevista con su presidente y terminará aceptando también la oferta para dirigir el diseño y creación de una nueva superestrella musical, proyecto en el que también trabajará Bobby Rubin, músico electrónico de estudio, y Sally Genaro, intérprete de Vo
Dana Cameron
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Good, fun near-future rock-and-roll cyberpunk, but over-long/over-wrought plot.
Xabi1990
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
2/10. Media de los 11 libros leídos del autor : 4/10

La nota lo dice todo, ¿no? De lo poco que he leído de este señor sólo salvo "Agente del Caos", divertida pero no para tirar cohetes.
Ghoule
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Nicolas
C’est pas tous les jours qu’on a l’occasion de lire un bouquin aussi manifestement né sous le signe du rock’n’roll. Et celui-ci est le rock fait SF.
Il raconte en effet comment une société de production musicale crée des stars virtuelles pour encaisser un maximum d’oseille, en utilisant au passage tous les moyens de la technique pour "optimiser" l’impact de ses chansons. Et comment, en introduisant dans cette belle mécanique un peu d’humanité, ou de "soul", toute cette belle mécanique va leur pé
Radu Harabula
Transformarea entertainment-ului de către sintetizatoare, calculatoare și de noile generații de Mogi și de DJei

Daca în Capsati-l pe Jack Barron era vorba de mass media și de cum poate fi ea folosita ca arma de manipulare și de luptat cu inamicii politici sau economici, aici e vorba de industria spectacolului, de cea muzicala în speța ... alienarea muzicii, a rockului, nu mai avem soliști și trupe, totul e sintetizat pe computer, audio și video

Foști hipioti și roacheri trecuți bine de prima tin
C. A.
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who enjoys sex, drugs, and manufactured rock and roll
Currently re-reading.

"Little Heroes" suffers big-time from Spinrad's habit of letting his plot get away from him and romp through fifteen or sixteen chapters while restating the same precepts over and over again. Fortunately, his characterization and dialogue are such that you don't care.

It's the near-future, and the music industry is tanking. They're looking to cut costs and a big one is the overhead for the actual musicians. Obvious answer: eliminate them. The technology is good enough that a
Kenny
Mar 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I wanted to read something that combined proto-cyberpunk ideas with the music business. I also like the countercultural/revolutionary vibe of Mr. Spinrad's works.

These ideas are interesting and carried out pretty well in this book. The wearable technology that combines reality with a "dreamtime-induced" VR is pretty cool and innovative for a 1987 novel.

However, this book has two major downfalls which led me to write this review.

1) He uses the N-word. A lot. It made
Desiree Sotomayor
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
If by some strange chance this book turns into a movie, it needs to be made by the same people who did Strange Days and Baz Luhrman. Even through words, this book is very visual and focused around music. It totally needs to be a glam rock musical. Even though it was drudging at certain parts, and Spinrad can get wordy, the characters, the setting and the story itself kept me invested. Sex, drugs, rock and roll, and a lot of interesting concepts about the future of technology, copyright and artis ...more
Ryan Schneider
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Man, Spinrad can write. Holy cannoli. It doesn't move quickly. That's one thing I liked about it. Spinrad really puts you in the story and allows you to linger there and live there as the pages slowly turn. It's immersive. It's also a fascinating in-depth look at a possible future for the music/entertainment industry and how products and brands are created and sold. Most people have likely never heard of Norman Spinrad. But he's quite good.
Paul Sabourin-hertzog
Sep 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
There's a lot in here that was right up my alley. It's a dystopian punk novel, based around the music industry. I really enjoyed parts of it, and then found myself disconnected from parts of it. It's probably a personal preference thing, but some of the stream of consciousness style drug or dream sequences left me out in the cold. The world of the story feels dated but is also utterly captivating. In the end a frustrating read for me, but I did get through it.
Chris
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. I really like the style and energy that Spinrad writes with. His characters aren't the most complex, but they do take shape. The story and world are dated, but with that charming 80's urban dystopia vibe - evil corporations, crowded cities overrun with gangs and plenty of uzis. However, the book is both very long and about rock and roll. I'm fine with one or the other, but for this topic the story drug on far longer than I would have liked.
Xan
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Se desinfla hacia la mitad y alarga el desenlace. Simplemente no me creí el contexto, la ambientación. Algunos momentos buenos pero no compensan todo el libro.
Aún así volveré a darle una oportunidad al autor.
Pedro
Sep 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Es increíble que se describiese tan bien hace unos cuantos años la situación actual de la,industria musical.
Liz
Nov 16, 2007 rated it it was amazing
events in this book will become reality as soon as costuming technology is up to it
Leslie
Apr 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: cyber-punk
Dated but very fun.
Edward Becerra
Sep 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cyberpunk with rock & roll LONG before the cyberpunk movement became fashionable. I read it when it first came out, and still re-read it at least once a month for inspiration.
Jan Toller
Rich
Oct 19, 2016
Peter Wolf
Jun 18, 2016
  • Eclipse Penumbra (A Song Called Youth, #2)
  • Crystal Express
  • Terraplane
  • Lazarus Churchyard: The Final Cut
  • Rim
  • Crashcourse
  • Voice of the Whirlwind (Hardwired, #2)
Born in New York in 1940, Norman Spinrad is an acclaimed SF writer.

Norman Spinrad, born in New York City, is a graduate of the Bronx High School of Science. In 1957 he entered City College of New York and graduated in 1961 with a Bachelor of Science degree as a pre-law major. In 1966 he moved to San Francisco, then to Los Angeles, and now lives in Paris. He married fellow novelist N. Lee Wood in 1