Start by marking “Ghosts and Haunts of the Civil War: Authentic Accounts of the Strange and Unexplained” as Want to Read:

Explore the strange and shadowy side of the civil war . . . A fascinating collection of ghostly sightings, auspicious visions, audible manifestations, and uncanny premonitions.

In 1872 a photographer who claimed he could capture the "essence' of dead relatives took an image purporting to show Mary Todd Lincoln with the protective ghost of Abraham Lincoln behind her.
The spir
Published September 29th 1999 by Thomas Nelson (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Ghosts and Haunts of the Civil War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ghosts and Haunts of the Civil War

Start your review of Ghosts and Haunts of the Civil War: Authentic Accounts of the Strange and Unexplained
Azra
Aug 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I found this book for a quarter at a local yardsale. It was well worth the price.

This was a fairly quick read over two nights. There aren't any actual accounts from people who have experienced these particular hauntings. The author seems to have done most of the research through libraries, judging by the acknowledgements. This gives the book a ''well, this is what's been reported but who knows?" kind of feel.

All in all, it may be a good read for the upcoming Halloween season, but if you're loo
Amanda
Feb 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Wasn't quite what I was expecting. While I appreciated the historical background given for each piece, I was expecting more, I don't know, contemporary first hand accounts. Most of the referenced first hand accounts seemed to be from at least ten years before the copyright date. I had also hoped there might be some photographic evidence as well, given the millions of people who have visited these historic sites. Someone had to have caught something on film. ...more
Dennis Phillips
Sep 11, 2019 rated it liked it
The title of this book promises "ghosts and haunts" and while there are ghosts to be found in this book there are far too many stories that do not involve a ghost, spook, specter, phantom or even a woolly booger. Premonitions and visions may indeed fall into the category of paranormal events and these stories may be very interesting but they do not involve ghosts and that is what the title of this book promises. A little truth in advertising please. ...more
Liz Staab
Aug 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My sisters and I have always been big fans of paranormal shows and ghost stories, so this one was right up my alley. Filled with fun history facts (great) and lesser known ghost stories (greater), this is sure to give you a reason to visit the battlefields and sites of the Civil War.
Jon Flancher
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Nothing spectacular. The author sympathizes with the South quite clearly but it's a quick read with some entertaining conspiracy theories. ...more
Carolyn
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
Not all these stories were about the Civil War.
Brian
May 26, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: supernatural, 1990s
The book had a few interesting stories, but the writing itself was just mediocre. Considering how many stories contained a disclaimer that you wouldn't read about this in any history book, it would have been nice to get sources for some of the accounts.

As for the writing, it could have used a good editor. There were several places where two sentences that said the same thing with only slight differences were either used back to back or within a paragraph of each other.

All in all, not bad, but a
SouthWestZippy
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Interesting book about strange events that have happen during and after the Civil War. One story is about Nat Turner who lead the slave uprising after hearing a voice. Also includes stories about a couple Presidents and a Queen. Can be a quick read, chapters are short. I like that the Author added a Appendix with information on Civil War Ghost tours and Haunted Hotels of the Civil War.
Rachel Foley
Oct 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, non-fiction
This book was really enjoyable. I loved gaining a new perspective and learning new things about the Civil War. My one complaint is that I wish there was more. I felt like the chapters would end right as they got into the ghost and left me yearning for more information. But, it was a fabulous Halloween read and definitely worth picking up.
Lindsay
Aug 27, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ghost story lovers
I liked this book because I love ghost stories and I love American history. I appreciated the research it took to compile these stories. Some of these stories I had already heard, but it was fun to read them again. However, I think that he needed a better editor. But it's a fun read. ...more
Sally
Sep 28, 2010 rated it it was ok
Read more like a book of stories than reports of unexplained happenings. Very few dates are given and there is no visual evidence. Since there was a paranormal photograph on the back of the book, I had hoped for more inside. Only one story made me shudder slightly.
Therese
Jul 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
Interesting stories but written poorly.
Kiefer
Oct 13, 2017
Anne
rated it did not like it
Dec 05, 2009
Aug 09, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Gotham at War: New York City, 1860-1865
  • Lion in the White House: A Life of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Stone Kiss (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #14)
  • Susan B. Anthony Slept Here: A Guide to American Women's Landmarks
  • Haunted Pennsylvania: Ghosts and Strange Phenomena of the Keystone State
  • They Fought Like Demons: Women Soldiers in the Civil War
  • Civil War Women
  • The Mystical Qabalah
  • Oracle of the Ages: Reflections on the Curious Life of Fortune Teller Mayhayley Lancaster
  • Ghosts Among Us: True Stories of Spirit Encounters
  • Haunt Hunter's Guide to Florida
  • Fear: A Ghost Hunter's Story
  • Civil War Ghosts at Fort Delaware: History, Mystery, Legends, and Lore
  • The Whole30 Day by Day: Your Daily Guide to Whole30 Success
  • Starvation Lake (Starvation Lake Mystery #1)
  • Mountain Rebels: East Tennessee Confederates 1860-1870
  • Ghost Stories of Tennessee
  • Hunt for the Skinwalker: Science Confronts the Unexplained at a Remote Ranch in Utah
Christopher Kiernan Coleman has written extensively on History, Folklore and culture, as well as military history; he has had articles published in both popular magazines and scholarly journals has six books currently in print. He has previously published books with Rutledge Hill Press, Cumberland House, Thomas Nelson, Source Books, Barnes & Noble, Fall River Press, John F. Bair and Schiffer Publi ...more

News & Interviews