Start by marking “Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old: A Step-By-Step Plan for Baby Sleep Success” as Want to Read:

There is no bigger issue for healthy infants than sleeping through the night. In this simple, straightforward book, Suzy Giordano presents her amazingly effective "Limited- Crying Solution" that will get any baby to sleep for twelve hours at night—and three hours in the day—by the age of twelve weeks old.

Giordano is the mother of five children and one of the most sought-af
Published February 1st 2006 by Tarcherperigee (first published January 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Hours' Sleep by Twelve Weeks Old, please sign up.
Stacy Handlin yep! It's been giving me tools to get my babies to sleep and they are almost sleeping 12 hours at 16 weeks (12 weeks adjusted for 1 month premature)…moreyep! It's been giving me tools to get my babies to sleep and they are almost sleeping 12 hours at 16 weeks (12 weeks adjusted for 1 month premature) they are twins.(less)

Ian G
Jan 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
EASILY THE BEST ADVICE TO GET YOUR BABY TO SLEEP!!!!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK!!! Our first baby is 4 weeks old, and just barely hit 9 lbs (the minimum to start training). We did as the book instructed and were easily able to spread his day feedings to 4 hours apart (4 times/day). We kept him awake between the third and last feeding and that first night he slept for 7 hours (8pm-3am) then fed, and then slept till 8am!!! (The previous night he fed 3 times.) And he is still eating a TON of bre ...more
Michelle
May 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
Dislike! There is no way you can force a baby to stay on such a strict schedule and not expect them to scream. Feedings every four hours is impossible unless you expect a baby to scream the whole time. I did not agree with this philosophy at all!
Mayya Medved
Dec 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
I read this book pretty quickly, while my 4 month old took naps on me throughout the day... clearly I need a sleep training book— however this was not the one. Here are some issues I had with it starting with the worst:
- there is ZERO research cited. The only thing she bases the information of off is her 10 years of experience. While 10 years is a long time, it doesn’t actually mean her methods are correct.
-She does not take AAP recommendations into account and recommends things that directly G
Shawna
Jul 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2009, own, parenting
This book is awesome. Short, concise, easy to read--exactly what anyone with a newborn is looking for in a how-to book. My daughter is six weeks old today and is already sleeping 7 to 8 hours straight after her one and only night feeding (she's been on this schedule for over a week now). During the day she eats every 4 hours. I feel like I have enough "free time" to accomplish what I need to get done (like playing around on goodreads!) and yet I get to spend so much quality time with my little g ...more
Lauren
Feb 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Too strict to implement - I think it would affect most breastfed babies milk supply, and 12 weeks is just too young for babies to cry as much as is recommended in this book!
Mr. Gottshalk
Jun 28, 2016 rated it liked it
An informative, no-nonsense take on getting babies into a routine. One thing I learned is that parents have to be strong and dictate sleep/eat/play, not the other way around. A habit takes three days to form and seven days to break is another good thing to remember. I would recommend this book to any parent with a baby who wants some peace and quiet in their lives! Yes, babies can sleep 12 hours a night!
Lisa Fetterman
Dec 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book is fucked up. It should be re-titled "How To Break Your Baby's Will by Twelve Weeks." The methods are draconian and not intuitive at all and the author narrates with a cultist fascist tone that preys on sleep deprived parents who have been beaten into submission. Yes, I hear it "works" but to get there you have to take a Machiavellian strategy that might leave your home a scorched earth.
Jenna
Jul 01, 2011 rated it it was ok
not entirely practical, especially for breast-feeding moms.
Cami
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
Not very realistic for breastfeeding moms.
Kristin
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good techniques listed out in here. Don’t think we will try the entire approach (our pediatrician recommended we keep a nighttime feed because the babies are still so small) but it’s always good to have new tools and ideas. Audiobook however sounded like a computer generated voice yikes.
Jamie-Lynn Marie
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Seems very practical. Keeping fingers crossed this will work for my baby.
Brandon Henke
I NEED SLEEP +_+;;ZZzzz
Lisa
Aug 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
The book's theory is interesting. And the theory seems like it would work. Feed your baby only every 4 hours during the day so that they eat more than they would every 2-3 hours. Delay feedings by bouncing, playing, distracting, etc. Then your baby will get all the calories it needs during the day to go 12 hours at night without food. Only 4 feedings a day, is what the book recommends. In practice I dont see this working for me or my family, especially while nursing. Could my supply be maintaine ...more
Trish Sanders
Apr 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
There are some great tips and this book. The general concept is to feed the baby every four hours during the day and gradually reduce their milk intake at night. I found that weaning him off at night caused very little discomfort since the process was very gradual. He did seem to do better when fed more often during the day, whenever he was hungry so I did not follow the four hour rule as suggested. If a baby is screaming they're hungry I can't understand not feeding them. I also think swaddling ...more
Paige
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
Disclaimer: I just read this book today and have not yet implemented any of its ideas. This approach was recommended to me by multiple trusted friends. I already like this book for being SHORT and SIMPLE! It seems like the key to putting a baby on a schedule is using their current patterns as a starting point, then gradually nudging them toward the schedule. So if they are eating a lot during the night, you gradually reduce the amount they're eating until they no longer get hungry and wake up in ...more
Catharine
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Though I didn't start in time to get twelve hours sleep by twelve weeks, this book helped me take a 13 week old who was waking about 5 times a night to a 16 week old waking once a night. Perhaps I would get the twelve hour result if I followed it to the letter, but I wasn't willing to only feed my son every four hours during the day and not at all at night for a total of 4 feedings every 24 hours. The book really outlines in detail the steps and I found incremental progress every day following i ...more
Heather
Nov 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I think this would work pretty well if you exclusively bottle feed, but otherwise I don't think it's a realistic plan. There is no way my little one will go four hours between feeds and there are too many steps, I feel stressed out just reading it. I gave it 3 stars because I will take some of the ideas and use them once she's older.
Reta
Aug 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Liked the book, but didn't really follow the steps because my baby was already sleeping through the night. I would still recommend for new moms to try out, but my first recommendation on baby sleep will ALWAYS be On Becoming Babywise!!!
Cassie
I will rate this book after I try out the author's method!

Update: This method did not work for us, but I'm still giving it a two star rating because some of what she says is helpful.
Leah
Nov 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
I don't agree with a lot that's written in this book, and some advice goes directly against the AAP's guidelines to prevents SIDS. At the very end omg the book, she does mention recently updated guidelines, but it's barely an afterthought and she doesn't seem to take these recommendations seriously. I think there is a lot wrong with this method, which basically puts lengthy sleep hours and scheduling above the health and safety of your baby. After reading 40 pages, I wanted to put it down and wr ...more
Sheila Moran
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When my best friends gave me this book with my first pregnancy, she said, "I give you the gift of sleep." She was right! This method is tried and true. My best friend used this method on her three children and all three slept 12 hours a night at around 8 weeks old. I did Giordano's method with my two children, and both were sleeping twelve hours a night by 8 weeks old. They are now 4 and 2 and are awesome sleepers still, thanks to this book. They put themselves to sleep every night and during na ...more
S
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Picked up this book after seeing Eva Chen's experience with Suzy Giordano via Instagram stories. I've heard/read much of the advice presented in forums/parenting groups. There is sound advice about having the baby adjust to your family's schedule instead of adapting to the baby. However, it's extremely difficult to implement the baby sleep plan if you are exclusively breastfeeding. There is a chapter that scientifically justifies a core tenet of the plan- feeding an infant every 4 hours, because ...more
Marissa
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
I appreciated some of the concepts in this book (spacing out feedings so baby is eating more each time & can last longer between them) however the principles of the book seemed to be geared towards people with a lot of $$ who are hiring a night nurse to stay w/their baby and/or people who are primarily doing bottles/formula. Breastfeeding moms seemed to be an afterthought in many parts of the book. While I certainly believe in anecdotal results, I also felt like some of this goes against evi ...more
Rachel Williamson
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
As usual I like aspects of the book. Some ideas could work and I'd like to eventually implement them, but every child and family is different and I think I need to let it happen and for my baby to learn when he is ready. It's good to get ideas and expanding what you know (or don't know) about raising kids, but then I feel like I have to push Hans to reach a certain point instead of encouraging where he already is.

I like that it's short. A tired parent who has their hands full of a child could si
Amanda Palmeri
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good.method for formula feed babies. not recommend for breastfeeding moms who want to delay ovulation.

the book says it could be done for breastfeeding moms. However they completely fail to acknowledge that it would change milk production, and that it wouldn't delay ovulation any of.

The 12x12 program definitely works. That I know. However I think it really should be for formula fed babies and not recommended for breastfeeding moms. That's just my opinion though. I think it works better for for
Elizabeth
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
A simple program to encourage sleep and schedule for newborns. I took some of the advice from the book, but didn't agree philosophically with much of it and found some of it worrisome because it is against current advice from the American Academy of Pediatrics. The schedule suggestions are not doable for our family on a regular basis. At the end of the day, my baby is only a baby for a short time and no way am I limiting cuddle time.
Donelle
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was a quick read. I finished it within an hour. I appreciated the step-by-step instructions provided in the book without a lot of extra fluff. I wanted to find a sleeping technique that did not involve the full on cry it out method. This book recommended a comfortable amount of crying so my little one can learn soothe without me feeling like I'm torturing my baby. I look forward to trying out the strategies.
Jes
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really appreciate that this book is a quick read. As a new mom with little free time on her hands, I am happy to have digested this information so quickly. I’m encouraged and hopeful that implementation of Suzy’s suggestions will be revolutionary for my little family. Began sleep training the moment I started reading her tips! :)

Maya
Apr 25, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the third or fourth sleep guide I’ve read so far, and by far the preachiest, which I found off-putting. Her approach makes sense philosophically to me, but I can’t get past the tone. May wind up coming back to this one, but for now, I think this is not a fit for us.
Novem
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was ok
Quick read. It's an interesting strategy to try and pair feeding on a schedule with sleep training. Haven't tried this out yet though, so I'm not sure how well my partner and I can implement this in practice. Maybe I'll update this review once we've actually tested it out.
  • Baby Knows Best: Raising a Confident and Resourceful Child, the RIE Way
  • Raising Real Men: Surviving, Teaching and Appreciating Boys
  • Wife for Life: The Power to Succeed in Marriage
  • Raising Financially Fit Kids
  • Rockabye: From Wild to Child
  • Listen: Five Simple Tools to Meet Your Everyday Parenting Challenges
  • The Second Nine Months: One Woman Tells the Real Truth about Becoming a Mom. Finally.
  • Talking Back to Facebook: The Common Sense Guide to Raising Kids in the Digital Age
  • The Sleepeasy Solution: The Exhausted Parent's Guide to Getting Your Child to Sleep from Birth to Age 5
  • Motherhood Realized: An Inspiring Anthology for the Hardest Job You'll Ever Love
  • Hell Is Other Parents: And Other Tales of Maternal Combustion
  • Hero: Being the Strong Father Your Children Need
  • Lunch Lessons: Changing the Way We Feed Our Children
  • The Successful Child: What Parents Can Do to Help Kids Turn Out Well
  • The Art of Roughhousing: Good Old-Fashioned Horseplay and Why Every Kid Needs It
  • Babyproofing Your Marriage: How to Laugh More, Argue Less, and Communicate Better as Your Family Grows
  • How to Hug a Porcupine: Negotiating the Prickly Points of the Tween Years