Start by marking “Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)” as Want to Read:
Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)

Married By Morning

(The Hathaways #4)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  33,852 ratings  ·  1,913 reviews
He is everything she wants to avoid...

For two years, Catherine Marks has been a paid companion to the Hathaway sisters—a pleasant position, with one caveat. Her charges' older brother, Leo Hathaway, is thoroughly exasperating. Cat can hardly believe that their constant arguing could mask a mutual attraction. But when one quarrel ends in a sudden kiss, Cat is shocked at her
Mass Market Paperback, 341 pages
Published May 25th 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Married By Morning, please sign up.
Poulami Hom Yes. Reading the first three books will give a better idea about the characters and the background. Though the first three books revolve around the si…moreYes. Reading the first three books will give a better idea about the characters and the background. Though the first three books revolve around the sisters' lives, Leo's past and little by little transformation has been a part of the books. Also Cath is present in the second and third book. But then again, you can read the book separately too. (less)

·  33,852 ratings  ·  1,913 reviews

Start your review of Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
Dina
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A Letter to Leo Hathaway, Viscount Ramsay

Dearest Leo,

Firstly, let me apologize in advance for being so forward as to write you this letter and for treating you with such familiarity. I am aware that you, a fine 19th-century gentleman, should be appalled with my boldness, but I am a 21st-century woman and we are no longer subjected to the restrictive dictates of society that ruled your time. As a Hathaway, I hope you will not only understand this but also be amused by it.

Now, I am ashamed to say
Shawna
Nov 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of Lisa Kleypas & anyone who loves a beautiful romance
Recommended to Shawna by: Me...'cause I love all of LK's books!
Re-read Oct'2019:

I still love Leo Lord Ramsay and Dodger the ferret nearly steals the show! Still big 5++ stars!

Favorite quotes:

“You should know that I’ve always wanted you, Cat. I’ve had fantasies so wicked, it would send us both straight to hell if I told them to you. And the way I want you has nothing to do with the color of your hair, or the appalling fashions you wear.” His hand passed gently over her head. “Catherine Marks, or whoever you are … I have the most profane desire to be in b
Auntee
Jul 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the series; Fans of historicals where the H/h engage in wicked bantering
Loved it. I knew I would, since I'm a sucker for the colorful Hathaway family. And Leo? I didn't have high hopes for him while reading the first in the series (Mine Till Midnight, but with each succeeding book, he kept growing on me, and growing on me...and finally by this book...*sigh*...he finally became a hero worthy of my admiration!:)

No plot summary this time, because there's some truly awesome reviews at GR for this one. I'll just add my thoughts/observations...

This was only brother Leo H
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I hope you’ll be able to look past the cheesiness of this review and be able to understand what it is I’m feeling, even though I can’t quite find the words to eloquently express my thoughts about Married by Morning in a way that will do it justice.

This was simply one of the most delightful books I’ve read in a very long time. I had no doubt that I’d like it, as I do most all of Lisa Kleypas’ books, but this far exceeded my expectations! Leo Hathaway, Lord Ramsay and Catherine Marks, Governess, m
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Married by Morning was such a delightful book. It fully exceeded my high expectations. The sparks between Leo Hathaway, Lord Ramsay, and Catherine Marks in the prior Hathaway books promised good tension and a fun read, but Ms. Kleypas managed to draw on deep wells of emotion and passion in writing this story, that made it even fuller than I expected.

I had the feeling that Catherine would prove to be fairly tortured for a Kleypas heroine, and it turned out I was right. She had some deeply buried
Alp
Aug 31, 2016 rated it really liked it

I don’t quite believe myself I gave this book 4 stars. Yeah, 4 stars! It was way better than my expectations!

Well, I enjoyed Leo and Catherine’s story more than I thought I would. To be honest, I didn’t expect much from this one because I’d never liked Catherine since I first knew her in Tempt Me at Twilight, the third installment in The Hathaways series (I’ve read this series totally out of order). Besides, during the first 15% of the story, I still couldn't warm up to her. I almost stopped rea
Sammy Loves Books
I Finally got to read Leo and Cat's story!!!

"I'm going to pleasure you. Fill you. Seduce you from head to toe. And you're going to love it."

description

" You don't have to love me back. You don't have to be mine. Just let me be yours.”

Leo Hathaway
description

"The problem was that Leo had a consuming desire to be everything to Catherine. He wanted to be her exclusive confidant, her lover and closest friend, to tend to her most intimate needs. To warm her with his body when she was cold, hold a cup to her lips when she
NiCoLeTa E. {Addicted To Books}
Did i mention that i love this family??? Yeah, i did!!! But you have to tolerate me for once more!!!
And the most strange thing is that i love also Leo Hathaway!!!

Why strange??? I have to admit that in the first book Leo was my least favorite from all of them...
He was self-destructed and the worst thing was that he didn't care for anybody else, so he put in many troubles his loving family...
But the best of all was that the Hathaways sisters never stopped loving him unconditional even though
Irene Sim
"You don't have to love me back. You don't have to be mine. Just let me be yours." ...more
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3.5 - 4 stars

“There are some experiences in life they haven't invented the right words for.”

Lisa Kleypas is such a fun guilty pleasure read! Historical romance isn't normally my go to, but sometimes you just need that escape from reality. Leo and Cat were the couple I was looking most forward to in this series, and 3/4's of this book I loved but the last 1/4 was a little bit too rushed and sweet for me.

A true story of hate to love, Leo and Cat have spent most of this series squabbling unti
Rane
Oct 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keeper
At the start of the The Hathaways series, I will admit, I really disliked Leo. He was such a self-center baby, and didn’t care the damage he was doing to his family whom loved him. At the same time I was curious at what LK planned for him. Slowly she reveled the Leo whom has faced his demons and is walking out of the shadows. And by Seduce Me at Sunrise and Tempt Me at Twilight, I was looking forward to his and Cat story. And with the cliffhanger at the end of TMAT, I was a little leery it woul ...more
Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-hr, love-hate
It's a re-read.
I love Leo Hathaway! He is stupid and he is funny, unlike other HR heroes.

(Leo looking at his marriage proposals)
"Leo looked down at the list. 'Marietta Newbury?'
'Yes," Amelia said. "What's wrong with her?'
'I don't like her teeth.'
'What about Isabella Charrington?'
'I don't like her mother.'
'Lady Blossom Tremaine?'
'I don't like her name.'
'Oh, for heaven's sake, Leo, that's not her fault.'
'I don't care. I can't have a wife named Blossom. Every night I would feel as if I were calling
Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession
3 Marks Missed The Mark Stars

“Are you afraid of me, Marks? You, who bludgeon and cut me down to size at every opportunity?” “Of course not, you arrogant ass. I only wish you would behave like a man of your station.”-Leo and Cat

photo tumblr_lptl24N7qh1qlmgz2o1_400_zpsl8fmlmxg.gif

“Ah, there’s the governess voice. All stern and disapproving. It makes me feel like a naughty schoolboy.”-Leo

***Spoilers***

I have to be honest and say that this book just wasn't a hit for me. I was really looking forward to Leo and Cat's story. After reading Le
DarienMoya
^^ JUST WONDERFUL!! ^^

If you are a fan of historical romance and you have not read The Hathaway series, then you are surely missing out. This series is positively one of the best and it should not be missed. Lisa Kleypas has done it again and every book in this series just gets better than the last, Leo has been a shining character in the previous books and he comes out blasting in his own book.

Leo Hathaway self proclaimed devil, he has the wit, charm and sex appeal to blow any female out of he
Ms. Smartarse
When I first read the story of Leo and Catherine, I clearly recall having been mightily pissed at the two characters. Leo's mean-spirited heckling felt jarring, Catherine's increasing attempts at prim and proper behavior were exasperating, and Dodger's amorous overtures just plain forced. Seven years later however, I seem to have had a change of heart.

surprised

Figuring that my changed sentiments for Tempt Me At Twilight might incur a different outlook on the sequel, and unwilling to continue any of my c
Karen
Mar 21, 2019 added it
5 STARS

“I love you, Marks. My heart is completely and utterly yours. And unfortunately for you, the rest of me comes with it.” Leo paused, struggling for words, when they had always come so easily to him. But these had to be the right words. They meant too much.
“I know I’m a bad bargain. But I’m begging you to have me anyway. Because I want the chance to make you as happy as you make me. I want to build a life with you.” He fought to steady his voice. “Please come to me, Cat, because th
Juliana Philippa
[REREAD: Increased rating to 4.5 stars; difference was that I reread some of the great Marks-Leo exchanges from the previous Hathaway books beforehand so that I could fully enjoy their story again ... which had been one of my complaints before.]

Second half of the book far better than the first ... and how can I get my own Leo?! (3.5 stars)

[1852, Hampshire and London, England:]
So here it is! The long awaited romance of "Marks" and Leo! I know I'm not alone when I say that by the end of the second
♥Sharon♥
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I have only but a minute to write a review. And my dear Leo deserves more than a quick review.

Oh my! Leo is quite the devil. I was rather smitten with him in books 1 and 2. There is something about him. Actually there is something about all the men in this series. Leo needed to find love. His happily ever after. And Catherine Marks would be that person whether she wanted to or not. :))

Married By Morning was a fabulous edition to this wonderful series. ❤

I cannot recommend these books enough!!!

Als
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
YUP I ENDED UP LIKING THE ONE BOOK MY FRIENDS HATED BUT IT'S OKAY because it was a win for me and it actually EXCITES me to try to read the next one. I hated leo so much in the first three books but he flipped the switch and become someone new. He was happy fun flirty and sweet. And our heroine actually has a SAD BACK STORY THAT WAS REALISTIC AND SUPER PLANNED OUT. the action scene in the end happened so fast but it's still fine. It was also super hot. Like the hottest out of all the books. ...more
Princess under cover
Well, I think I like this book less than the first or second time I read it. I like it for Leo, but I really don't like Marks (Cat). I get that she's had a hard life, it's difficult for her to trust people, but she's been living with the Hathaways for THREE YEARS!!

description

She's gotten to know all of the family so intimately and been treated as part of the family. She's fought with Leo from the start, but she knows how he loves his family and they love him, so SURELY, she knows that he's a person worth
Mei
Nov 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical
I knew it!!!!

5 shining well deserved stars!!!!

I just LOVE the Hathaways!!!

And Leo... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I didn't liked him in the first book, but in each next one my feeling changed more and more until now: I love him!!!! LOL

Wonderful book, full of Leo delightful personality!

I loved everything in this book, but the was a tiny, teeny thing that I didn't understand: (view spoiler)

But this is a very minor thing that didn't detract from
Vintage
I had reservations over Leo at first, but I got a clue and love the romantic tension and banter between the two characters.

The ultimate enemies to lover story. I'll let the hero and heroine do the talking.

Below Leo proves how distracting even an innocent seduction can be to ones thought processes.

Leo could barely remember his own name. All he wanted to concentrate on was the way she fit against him. But somehow he obliged her.

“Some months have thirty-one days, some have thirty. How many months
h o l l i s
This review can also be found at Romantic Historical Reviews.

Working through Lisa Kleypas' The Hathaways novels has been such a joy. The humour, the heart, it's all been there. But if you've been following my recent string of Retro Reviews, you'll know there have been a slight low point in each of them; a low point that was always tempered by the supporting cast and other family members, with short but wonderful POV switches to the enduring romances of the previous couples in the series, but
Azet
Lisa Kleypas are one of my top ten favourite authors,with the ability to write exceptional and uniqe characters,mindblowing epic love-stories and a exciting and addicting plot..she makes us fall harder and harder.
This one are a re-read for me.I read this series years ago and decided to re-read "Married by Morning" about the cynical and cocky Leo Hathaway,the only brother of the sisters Amelia,Win,Poppy and Beatrix.

After he has fought furiously and stubbornly as dogs and cats with the fiery and d
Ursula
Story 5 stars.
Audio 3 stars.
I read this a couple of years ago and have re-read it several times. It's one I go back to when I need a fix of a really enjoyable, emotional and witty HR.
This was the first time I listened to the audio, narrated by Rosalyn Landor. I know she is a fave with many, and has a great voice for traditional HR. But I have just gone through all the Loretta Chase books narrated by Kate Reading, and I much prefer her voice for the lighter books. (Her men's voices are fabulous.
Book Wonderland
Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Leo is my favorite character in this series and him and Catherine are my favorite couple.
Since the 2nd book I was really excited for their story. I expected their story to be slightly better, but I still liked it.
Andrea
Buddy-re-read with Lacey

I'm downgrading this to 3.5 stars generously rounded up. Very generously...

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Leo. His journey from useless/broken wastrel from book 1 to the loveable, teasing, whimsical man he turned into after sorting out all of his issues was just perfect (unlike, say, Harry's transformation which happened WAY to quickly for my tastes).

If only Catherine hadn't been so... How to say this nicely. I mean, I get it. She has issues. But the way she kept on hating
boogenhagen
Phew! Almost to the BIG HEDGIE book! Dodger is GREAT! Leo reforms nicely, Cat drove me nuts, srsly - rarely do I need to use the skillet on an h, but there were multiple skilleting moments. I restrained myself but I sorta felt that Leo deserved better.

Harry stepped up to the plate nicely, and tho I am mindful of Cat's trauma's, she came off as a bit selfish really. I loved the rest of it, fell over laughing a few times and am now ploughing straight in to the big one I have been waiting for.
Beanbag Love
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was just delicious. I smack my lips thinking back over what I've just read. Just lovely.

I am so happy Kleypas was able to keep the spark of Cat and Leo's relationship alive even as they fell into divine and rapturous love. They continue to bait each other, evolving beautifully into a sort of comedy duo rather than sparring partners.

Not that it doesn't have angst. Oh, there's angst aplenty here. We all knew Leo had some problems, and Cat's difficult past has been teased heavily as well. Kle
♡Karlyn P♡
Loved it! Leo and Cat's interactions and relationship made this one a winner. The actual backstory (Cat's mystery past...etc.) was minor entertainment compared to all the fun I had when these two were in the same room. I can see why some people rated this less than five stars as the mystery wasn't much of a mystery, and there are parts that were predictable and maybe even rushed, but I can't knock a star off of my rating simply because I loved the entire experience reading this story. The writin ...more
Play Book Tag: Married by Morning - Kleypas - 3 stars 4 10 Jan 27, 2021 03:19PM
Characters like Leo? 2 81 Jul 25, 2017 09:46PM

• Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • Just Like Heaven (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #1)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • The Sum of All Kisses (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #3)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • A Night Like This (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • The Secrets of Sir Richard Kenworthy (Smythe-Smith Quartet, #4)
  • When a Scot Ties the Knot (Castles Ever After, #3)
  • Romancing the Duke (Castles Ever After, #1)
  • It's in His Kiss (Bridgertons, #7)

The Hathaways (5 books)
  • Mine Till Midnight (The Hathaways, #1)
  • Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2)
  • Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)