Start by marking “A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster,  #4)

A Rogue's Proposal (Cynster #4)

4.07  ·  Rating Details ·  6,913 Ratings  ·  164 Reviews
Alternate cover for ISBN 9780380805693
Published October 1999 by Avon Books (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about A Rogue's Proposal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rogue's Proposal

Maria Clara
Jun 09, 2016 Maria Clara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ya dicen que por la boca muere el pez, y a mí este libro me ha dejado boqueando como un pez fuera del agua; jajaja.... Es el segundo libro que leo de esta autora, y por más que el primero se me hizo insoportablemente pesado y aburrido, éste me ha conquistado. No puedo decir que la historia sea original, ni que la protagonista se comporte como lo haría una dama de su época, (últimamente las heroínas románticas de la histórica parecen haber contraído algún tipo de fiebre que les hace olvidar la ép ...more
Huma Rashid
Mar 15, 2012 Huma Rashid rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Dear God, this drags on interminably and was almost a chore to get through. Could have been 200 pages shorter, easy. (It was about 600 on my iPad, not sure about physical, print edition.) Gah.
Susan (susayq ~)
Oh gosh! This was absolutely the best! I don't know if it was just the mood I was in or if it was the magic I could feel between Demon and Flick or what, but I loved this one. In fact, i think it's the best in the series (at least so far).

Demon has usurped Devil as my favorite Cynster man. Want to know how? He said the words! What words, you ask? These - "I love you." none of the other Cynster men have said them. Sure, they all felt it, but they never said it. Demon did! He was scared to admit
Evie Byrne
I was in trouble at the library for being late to pick up a book on hold. The librarian on duty is a bit of a dragon, but past conversations with her have revealed that she has one soft spot: Stephanie Laurens. Knowing my library record might depend on it, I plucked A Rogue's Proposal off the paperback rack. I'd not read any of SL's Cynster books, and this is #4 in the series. But no matter, it was s shield with which to face her fiery wrath. It worked. A small smile came to her hardened mouth a ...more
BookwormWithGoggles
I think I just dont enjoy this author's writing. The basis of a good story line is there but the whole series is just chuck a buck with cliches and this idea of an all alpha male clan of powerful muscular tall tanned (yeah in sunny England) rich aristocrats is just too much. I think I its the writing that gets to me because there are too many words just seeming to go on and on and on about feelings when one sentence had already expressed the intention. I found myself skipping pages just because ...more
KarenF
Aug 24, 2012 KarenF rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm a bit sad to say that I'm out here on lonely island with this one, it just wasn't for me. I'll admit that the whole "attracted to her innocence" trope is not one I particularly like. It always reads as a bit skeevy to me. But I've let that go when I like the hero/heroine pairing and still enjoyed the book. I couldn't get there with this one. When Demon & Flick weren't annoying me, they were boring me to tears. There may been a good 300 page romance in here, unfortunately the book is well ...more
Ivana Azap Feješ
While this book features your average Cynster – arrogant, dominant, unwilling to commit to one woman and terrified of the words ‘I love you’ – I was glad to see that it finally seemed to deviate a little from the previous three efforts. This is different from the other Stephanie Laurens books that I've read, and so far, it's quite delightful.

I did really enjoy this book from the Cynster family. This time it was Demon (Harry) and the 11 years younger Flick (Felicia).

Torrid Regency Romance. Part o
Keri
This had one of the longest love scenes I think I have ever read. Not a BAD thing. :-)
Cruth
Author: Stephanie Laurens
First published: 1999
Length: 404 pages
Setting: Newmarket and London, 1820 (Regency).
Sex: Frequent. Very explicit (erotic). Could be caught (almost-exhibition).
Hero: 31yo and mentions the age difference every other page. Runs the family horse stud.
Heroine: 20yo orphan of missionaries, brought up by a benevolent uncle, The General.

There's a good story in here.

Race-fixing makes a nice change.

And a nice Older-Man, Younger-Woman relationship / HEA.

But the solid foundations we
Kit★
3.5 Stars! Number four in the series and I was kinda looking forward to it, especially since I had to order a copy for my set as we were continuing on with the series and once again discussing it as a buddy read in the Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired group (discussion thread over this-a-way). I was wishing and hoping that Demon that horse master would impress me in ways the other Cynster men so far (while nice) have not quite done. I was hoping maybe he'd be different than the others. ...more
Lauren
A Rogue's Proposal
5 Stars

Determined to escape the matrimonial fate of his brother and cousins, Harry “Demon” Cynster travels to Newmarket to look in on his horses. Imagine his surprise when he encounters Felicity Parteger who has grown from a young girl in pigtails into a woman with luscious curves and the face of an angel. Seeking Demon’s aid in uncovering a race-fixing syndicate, Felicity soon realizes that the man she idolized as a child is now a real threat to her heart.

A captivating romance
Chitra *CJ*
Jun 12, 2016 Chitra *CJ* rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: safety-first, v-card
EXCELLENT!!
I was looking for the next book I might like after Devil's, and this was it(though it was a tad too long)
Demon and Flick know each other from childhood. When he tries to escape the clutches of matrimony, he ends up meeting Flick, or Felicity dressed as a stable hand and the romance begins.
Loads of back and forth, some mild misunderstandings and angst, but their passion was amazing. I think this is my second favorite book in this series.
Safe read(post the couple meeting)
4.25/5
Kindling Micky
One of my favourites of the Cynster series. The scandal of a woman dressed in trousers! Shock, horror.
Sugar Snap
This could have been AT LEAST 100 pages shorter. Waaaaay too much explaining and not enough action. The best part of the plot - the "syndicate" mystery - is totally lost throughout the middle of the novel.
Demon is mediocre as a leading man, while Felicity got all of the author's attention. Which is especially disappointing because Demon is definitely the more interesting of the two.
Maybe the whole story just felt a bit tired - headstrong but innocent young miss goes bowling off into trouble an
Erica
Mar 31, 2014 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Harry Cynster, mostly known as Demon, flees London and its flock of women of marriageable age, terrified that he too might fall prey to the shackles of marriage, like three others of the Bar Cynster have done so far. Things don’t quite work out that way, of course
Robin
Jul 18, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely my favorite Cynsters book so far. I loved both Felicity and Demon from the start. Demon, like his brother and his cousins before him, has no need of a wife and no intention of losing his heart to a woman. Felicity, like her own predecessors, is a strong and independent woman who won't meekly bow down to any man and can hold her own with the best of them. Demon owns a stable of racehorses, and is quite impressed with Felicity's riding skills and knowledge of horses. I think tha ...more
Sheila Melo
Mar 29, 2014 Sheila Melo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Cynster Meets His Match

A ROGUE'S PROPOSAL is the fourth book in the Cynster series. It is the story of Harry "Demon" Cynster, the younger brother of Vane Cynster from A RAKE'S VOW. Demon begins to fear for his bachelorhood as he watches the Cynster men succumb to love and marriage. He decides to leave London and return to his horse farm. There he encounters Felicity "Flick" Parteger who he has known since she was a child but he's not seen her in recent years. All of a sudden, she has gro
Pamela(AllHoney)
The fourth book in Stephanie Laurens' Cynster series. I've read several of Ms Laurens books and, sadly, I feel like I'm reading the same book over and over again. Just the names and minor details are changed. But I can't say that I hated it because I didn't. It was just too predictable for a higher rating from me.
Rolyn
Jun 12, 2013 Rolyn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to read a good love story and this seemed promising with the its rating, should have known better. The story is too long and she used so many adverbs for my liking. Argh!!!
description
The only thing I liked about this book was when Harry told Flick how he truly feels.
Whitney
So, Stephanie Lauren is a Queen of Historical Romances. I don't know why it took me so long to continue with this series. Especially since I loved the first book. Demon and Felicity's story was complex. There was more angst near the end of the book than we're use to with these books but I enjoyed watching the story unfold. As always, the romance was strong and steamy. Yes, this was a good one.
Anne
Mar 24, 2013 Anne marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Anyone who knows me understands that I hate to DNF a book. I will try an slog through almost anything just to get it finished.
But A Rogue's Proposal? No. Sorry. I just couldn't do it. Both characters were boring, and the mystery was going nowhere fast. Lots of the girl wondering why there were butterflies in her stomach and the guy reveling in her innocent wide-eyed blushes.
Blech.
LibraryDanielle
Oct 15, 2012 LibraryDanielle rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
good gravy this one took me forever to read. it went on forever. it really could have been 200 pages less. the plot just dragged on and on. I was disappointed, because usually Stephanie Laurens is a really quick read for me. I normally love her books, which is why I kept slogging through this one.
Denise
I think I am breaking from this series. Which is too bad because I really wanted more of some of the other Cynsters - but this one just was not anywhere near as good as the others (and that ain't saying much.)
Star
Aug 17, 2012 Star rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Torrid Regency Romance. Part of the original Cynster series.
CaroB
Flick made the book for me.
❆ Crystal ❆
My favorite of the Cynster series. I would read for sure.
Maggie Hesseling
May 27, 2017 Maggie Hesseling rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ah, Harry. The story of Harry and Flick is brilliant. But there's one thing that makes this novel even more interesting to me: The horseracing.

I love how there's so much information on horseracing and fixing. It really keeps you wanting to read more. This novel is more than a mystery and a love story, it's a little bit of education too.

A fantastic read.
Sonya
Mar 06, 2017 Sonya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very romantic book
Jill
Stephanie Lauren's may not mean to write "erotica" but her books could make a carrot pant. This installment in the Cynsyer family romances does not disappoint in the realm of passionate, steamy sex! I had originally thought it might be less sexually charged because the heroine is so inexperienced and naive, but before you roll your eyes, rest assured her innocence isn't portrayed as frightened, foolish, hysterical nor skiddish. She is just her amazing self - a sexually unaware feminine hoyden wi ...more
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • Dancing at Midnight (The Splendid Trilogy, #2)
  • The Wedding Night of an English Rogue (Boscastle, #3)
  • The Husband List (Effingtons, #2)
  • The Impostor (Liar's Club, #2)
  • Lady of Desire (Knight Miscellany, #4)
  • Simply Perfect (Simply Quartet #4)
  • Duchess By Night (Desperate Duchesses, #3)
  • Before the Scandal (Notorious Gentlemen, #2)
  • A Hellion in Her Bed (Hellions of Halstead Hall, #2)
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens...

Cynster (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Devil's Bride (Cynster, #1)
  • A Rake's Vow (Cynster, #2)
  • Scandal's Bride (Cynster, #3)
  • A Secret Love (Cynster, #5)
  • All About Love (Cynster, #6)
  • All About Passion (Cynster, #7)
  • On a Wild Night (Cynster, #8)
  • On a Wicked Dawn (Cynster, #9)
  • On A Wild Night / On A Wicked Dawn
  • The Perfect Lover (Cynster, #10)

“Just because I'm not forever by your side doesn't mean that's not precisely where I want to be.” 608 likes
“Frowning, she looked up. "You can't want to ravish me every time we meet."
Oh, yes, he could. Demon gritted his teeth...”
35 likes