Start by marking “Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief: Guided Practices for Reclaiming Your Body and Your Life” as Want to Read:

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  200 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Mindfulness can transform pain. Over the past three decades, Jon Kabat-Zinn has clinically proven it. Now, with Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief, the man who brought mindfulness into mainstream medicine presents for the first time on audio his original practices for using conscious awareness to free us from physical and emotional suffering. This long-awaited two-CD p ...more
Audio CD, 2 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Sounds True (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief

Colleen
Jul 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I bought this on the recommendation of my doctor. I have lumbar arthritis, and it causes me daily, constant pain. And I really hate narcotics; they don't help, they just make me sleepy and stupid. If I hurt badly enough, I might take one, but I go to sleep hurting, I wake up hurting, and I get cottonmouth in the bargain. Yech, right? So the doctor recommended directed meditation.

I purchased the audio book so I can put it on my iPod and use it when I'm away from the house if necessary. After my
Heydi Smith
May 31, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult-non-fic
This is a good read only if you know absolutely nothing about mindfulness, otherwise - you'll be gravely disappointed.

Pretty cover though.
Danie
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
This audio-book is good for a beginning meditator. I was expecting more in the way of insights into pain and how meditation would be beneficial, or directed meditations that could be used daily. The book is setup more as instructions, so you can take them and form your own practice if you do not have one.

The actual meditations are short, perhaps 3 or 4 minutes, but he talks at length beforehand. If I'm in pain I'm not going to have the physical or mental energy to forward the audio to the corre
Jordan Dossett
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Somewhere between Jon Kabat-Zinn and Jack Kornfield I often find peace and when I cannot I find hints at why I am being so stubborn. I got this book/audio to help with the pain from MS and it is good but it is a bit too generic for me. I know I could not have expected it to deal with the exacting pain I am/was in but I wanted a bit more. I have many guided meditation CD's and books and books on meditation and mindfulness and I just wanted a tad more here hence the 4 stars.
Zac Stojcevski
Sep 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was interested in using this book as a reference and a tool for introducing mindfulness/ meditation to the workings and healing of my patients.
I cannot speak for them yet however the audiobook seemed a tad bland and basic - surfing on the coattail of panache that the author's name carries.
Great catch phrase in the sense that if you're breathing then half of the problems are catered for.
Laura Rogers
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a 2 CD set. It is, on the surface, very simple. But if you have chronic pain, nothing is simple. I worked in the University of Alabama Medical School Back Pain Clinic in the early 80's and mindfulness and relaxation was part of the program. If you don't have a lot of money or even if you do, this is a good investment for under $20.
Maggie
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help, meditation
yes! what he says. and it really works: mindfulness on the breath and being able to pin-point spots of pain and "breathe" into those areas, i.e. raise our lovingkindness awareness to pain as though giving the baby buddha a bath works. yes it does. and this book is a 100% reliable guide through that process.
Katie
Dec 09, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: health
I would like for Kabat-Zinn to take a college composition course from me. I'll teach him how to use specific vocabulary and construct clear sentences. Then he can teach me how to manage my pain with mindfulness.
Stephanie
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have used this to help my mental responses to intense pain during the past year, and it has been very helpful--certain phrases ring through my mind in crisis moments even if I can't listen to an entire guided meditation at the time.
Sonia
Nov 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Helpful, but I wish it went more in depth in terms of the actual meditation techniques.
Mckinley
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audio, non-fiction, health
An on-going mediation practice can help one cope with pain. These meditations are short and could be done in a variety of settings.
Debbie Nicoletti
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great beginning meditation book. His guided meditation and focusing on the breath is helping me with my knee pain.
Lyla
May 27, 2014 added it
Shelves: owned
Very helpful during a few weeks I had a great deal of joint pain.
Dawn Grace
  • Healing and the Mind
  • The Future of the Brain: The Promise & Perils of Tomorrow's Neuroscience
  • Women's Strength Training Anatomy
  • Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior
  • A Life Worth Breathing: A Yoga Master's Handbook of Strength, Grace, and Healing
  • How to Be Sick: A Buddhist-Inspired Guide for the Chronically Ill and Their Caregivers
  • Head First: The Biology of Hope and the Healing Power of the Human Spirit
  • The Balance Within: The Science Connecting Health and Emotions
  • Final Journeys: A Practical Guide for Bringing Care and Comfort at the End of Life
  • Chronic Resilience: 10 Sanity-Saving Strategies for Women Coping with the Stress of Illness
  • The Science of Mindfulness: A Research-Based Path to Well-Being
  • The Reality Slap: Finding Peace and Fulfillment When Life Hurts
  • Coconut Cures: Preventing and Treating Common Health Problems with Coconut
  • DBT Skills Training: Manual
  • The iRest Program for Healing PTSD: A Proven-Effective Approach to Using Yoga Nidra Meditation and Deep Relaxation Techniques to Overcome Trauma
  • UnDiet: Break All the Rules, Have Tons of Fun, and Cleanse the Clutter for an Abundantly Vibrant Life
Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D., is founding Executive Director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. He is also the founding director of its renowned Stress Reduction Clinic and Professor of Medicine emeritus at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. He teaches mindfulness and Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) ...more
More about Jon Kabat-Zinn...