Start by marking “Bliss” as Want to Read:
Bliss

Bliss

Lock the door and get ready to follow your bliss…

Kara is a sex columnist who believes lovemaking is a natural physical function and nothing more. When she meets a J.M—a Tantra master who thinks sex is the way to reach a higher spiritual plane—she thinks he's whacked. But when he volunteers to tutor her in the ancient sensual arts and show her what Tantra is all about—one l
Trade Paperback, 238 pages
Published June 22nd 2010 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Bliss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bliss

Bared to You by Sylvia DayReflected in You by Sylvia DayGabriel's Inferno by Sylvain ReynardThe Siren by Tiffany ReiszGabriel's Rapture by Sylvain Reynard
Smut for the Smart
1,514 books — 2,266 voters
Club Shadowlands by Cherise SinclairBreaking Free by Cherise SinclairDark Citadel by Cherise SinclairMake Me, Sir by Cherise SinclairMaster of the Mountain by Cherise Sinclair
BDSM Fiction
1,029 books — 1,348 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Bliss
Jane Stewart
Sex scenes needed more emotional development. Tantra sex ideas were interesting. Heroine was disappointing.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
It felt like most of the book consisted of sex scenes, but the actual page count puts them at about 34%. Kara was ok in the beginning, but by the end of the book, I didn’t like her. She was like a selfish kid in a candy store. She meets JM and has amazing sex with him. Then she says can we do it with two men? Then she wants to do it with more than two men. Then she wants
jenjn79
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
Not the best I've read by Opal Carew but not the worst either.

Series Note:
This book is a follow up to Carew's book Blush in that it continues the story of Tantra expert, J.M. I don't think you have to have read Blush first. It's been ages since I read it and I don't remember much and this one read okay. But it can't hurt to read Blush first.

Summary:
Kara Spencer is a sex columnist heading to a sex conference where her editor has asked her to interview Tantra expert Jeremy "J.M." Smith. Kara might
LaFleurBleue
Aug 02, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: e-book, erotica, romantica
Not bad but not really good either
I liked that for once the heroine willing to discover all her fantasies was not a blushing virgin or close to one and that she showed some hesitations a few moments in time.
The hero on the other hand looked a bit too perfect to be real.
What let me down is that, as often in erotica, I did not get when or more especially how the hero and heroine could fall in love with each other. It just so happened and I just so did not buy it ;(
Regarding the steamy scenes, the
Anastasia
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, 2019
This book was disappointing, but that was probably my fault for assuming it was about tantric sexuality, when it was really just a trashy modern romance novel. Still, the tantric sex portrayed here seemed to be missing a lot.

Also, it was hard to get over the lack of safe sex practices, including vaginal sex after anal sex with no cleaning of the penis in between. It was also hard to feel that Kara was empowering herself when the initial fantasies she was exploring weren’t her own. And how about
thewestchestarian
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
As a reading public service, here are a few terms - taken from the book - which lack a certain... sensuality: back opening, buttocks, wet opening, mushroom, fluid, and helping. When writing a dirty book, keep in the actual act is actually kinda gross so you need to keep the language florid and euphemistic.

To be fair, as far as naughty tomes go, the book's central plot is singularly realistic. Setting the proceedings at a cerebral yet raunchy convention and characters as professionals in the fiel

Joy Boutwell
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Bliss by Opal Carew is a must read. Kara and JM are great. I didn't like how Quinn was invited and then just took over. But in the end it all worked out. The sex scenes as usual with Opal's books are excellent.
Lokki
Feb 15, 2015 rated it liked it
If all you are looking for are steamy scenes, Bliss, the latest offering by Carew, delivers the heat (although pretty much 'been there done that, nothing really new). If you are looking for a romantic plot you might want to look elsewhere. That's mainly because there is hardly any plot at all. I usually say that the difference between romance and erotica, beside the fact that erotica is steamier (although with the new genre 'Romantica' that's changing), is that romance has a plot with maybe some ...more
Amy
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
First, I want to say the Story summary on the book, is very misleading. From the summary, I was expecting the story to be a bit more about these two exploring Tantra, and this "spiritual Plane" they discover, and how it could be great sex for a couple, but really the Summary should have said:
Kara is a sex columnist who is on her way to an important Sex Conference, to interview Jeremy Smith-a Tantra master who thinks sex is the way to reach a higher plane. But while awaiting her flight she meet
Ilene
Jun 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: stand-alone
Was it a gripping story line? Nope. Was the story realistic? Maybe in an alternative universe. I get being open minded and trying new things but in this story it seemed a bit much. They both could have used a bit more backbone.
Kara a sex columnist meets J.M on an airplane on the way to a sex seminar. He is a tantric sex expert but does not represent himself as such. They are stranded & decide to spend the night together then go their separate ways. But it doesn't end there. He puts her sexual si
Tracy
Aug 11, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: already-read
This was my first book by Opal Carew. The reviews seemed mostly positive for it so I thought what the heck, I'll give it a try.

I LOVED JM as a character. He was fabulous and in my mind a well rounded character.

I like Kara at first and as the book continued I slowly started to dislike her.

There were plenty of sex scenes in the book to keep readers that like them them entertained, but I started to cringe inside whenever they came up because I felt bad for JM. He really loves Kara and 80% of the
Karen111
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Although I usually one-star a DNF, I face this two stars purely because it's the first erotic novel (out of hundreds I've read) that's been about tantric sex.

Unfortunately I didn't like the female character, Kara. She was very skittish for a grown woman, and yet she oozed sexual confidence when she was actually having sex. A bit of a contradictory character.

I love spirituality and do energy healing (although I haven't tried tantra - yet!!!), so I could relate to the book's terminology, but I f
Regina
May 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Tantra sex was supposed to be the premise of this story but a good portion of the plot focused on JM fulfilling Kara's sexual fantasies of menage, sex with a stranger, and dominance. Even though JM instantly knew Kara was his perfect woman, there wasn't a whole lot of romance. A big plus was that JM practiced his universal energy beliefs in his regular life, not just during sex. However, while the sex was fun, there wasn't much else beyond it making it a somewhat unsatisfying read. 3.5 stars.
Kay Lee
At the airport on her way to a sex conference, Kara, a sex columnist meets and flirts with a handsome stranger. They share a passionate night and go their separate ways.

To her shock, they meet again at the sex conference. JM, her one night stand, turns out to be Jeremy, the Tantric sex expert she is supposed to interview.

Very enjoyable read. I would actually rate this 3.5 stars. I love that Kara is able to explore various fantasies with JM's help.
Paige
Aug 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: erotic-romance
A pretty good effort by Opal Carew. The "hero" was a bit too wimpy for me, but I wasn't unhappy that the main character ended up with him. As with all Opal Carew books, the sex was amazing. (Has she ever written a book that doesn't have at least one group-s*x scene in it? Not that I'm complaining: I love it!)
Daniela
Jan 31, 2012 rated it it was ok
New Author for me. Story was ok. Some menage and four-some. I enjoyed reading about the Tantra techniques however the story was a little too much "throw in sex scene after sex scene" for me. I did not feel like it built characters enough to get how they grew closer and were meant for each other....I might try another book by author but most are menage or multiple partners....not my thing.
Kim
Aug 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wasn't a fan of the Tantra part of this, which seemed like it was all of it. gave me flashbacks of alternative energy medicine that my previous job used to force me to learn and do to pts and it was a nightmare. I just couldn't see past the woowoo part of the book to read and enjoy much else of it.
Mahlet
Jun 01, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: erotic-romance
I skipped Six based on the reviews...and then Forbidden Heat since it involved characters from Six. But I loved Swing, and also Opal Carew's tantric-related book, Blush, so I'm really optimistic about this one.
Michelle
Oct 31, 2011 rated it did not like it
Cold sex only. No emotional connection and for a Master he should have had her hooked from the word go. And who mets and takes each others word about being clean or clear of disease and has unprotected sex??????
Glenna Taylor
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this story
Kelly
Oct 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
Hot damn I'm loving this book.
Limecello
Jun 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
Really a 2.5 ... extremely hot but not so much a believable romance
Conney Cerdena
Aug 09, 2011 rated it liked it
the book is REALLY SEXY and so HOT!!

Tracey
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: erotica
It was too short, not enough time for the characters to fall in love especially with so many other "distractions".
Lindsey
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
I like the book up until the last 40 pages and then it just lost something.
Kara
Apr 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
It was ok. Nothing special. I didn't like the main characters because they felt forced. JM wasn't terrible.
Karsyn
A good erotica with all different kinds of situations going on.
Wendy Biernaskie
Oct 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Just another erotic thriller ...
Christine
Starts fast and ends suddenly, but a good smut story.
Trigger warnings: Contains group sex, m/m, and simulated abduction
Darvina
Jul 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I think that there are some scene I would defiantly do and others I would not from this book. It was a good book, I liked how she explored but I also wanted more if the relationship with J.M
208bookgirl
Oct 23, 2013 rated it liked it
research for work... pretty good story, nicely written

• Strange Planet (Strange Planet #1)
  • Gage (Love Under the Lights, #1)
  • Her Claim (Legally Bound, #2)
  • Playing the Player (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #3)
  • Playing It Cool (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #2)
  • Playing by Her Rules (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #1)
  • Bought for Marriage (Bought by the Billionaire Book 1)
  • The D.I.L.F.
  • Bought For Love (Bought by the Billionaire #2)
  • Alpha's Temptation (Bad Boy Alphas, #1)
  • His Contract (Legally Bound, #1)
  • Virgin Flyer
  • Summer School
  • Be with Me
  • Celine's Seduction to Rubber
  • The Depravity Exhibition
  • Educating Emily
  • Discipline Island
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author, Opal Carew loves cats, Zentangle, and wild nail polish!

News & Interviews