Start by marking “Vanished: When Lightning Strikes / Code Name Cassandra (Vanished, #1-2)” as Want to Read:
Vanished: When Lightning Strikes / Code Name Cassandra (Vanished, #1-2)

Vanished: When Lightning Strikes / Code Name Cassandra

(1-800-Where-R-You #1 & 2)

A gift…or a curse?

Jessica Mastriani has never liked attention. All she wants is to make it to high school graduation like any ordinary girl. But when Jess is struck by lightning, she becomes anything but ordinary: suddenly she has the ability to locate missing children.

Now Jess is getting noticed in all the wrong ways and by all the wrong people. The media is obsessed

Published September 7th 2010 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Vanished, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vanished

Start your review of Vanished: When Lightning Strikes / Code Name Cassandra (Vanished, #1-2)
Karen Keyte
Meg Cabot rocks, there's no doubt about that. This early series, originally published under her Jenny Carroll pen name, is an absolute blast. Do yourself a favor and get books 3, 4 and 5, too. Once you've read the first two, you'll want to keep on going.

WHEN LIGHTNING STRIKES
I've decided that it really doesn't matter what Meg Cabot writes about, she's such a talented author that I'm pretty much guaranteed to like any of her books. Meg Cabot novels have solid, fast-paced plots, wonderful
Ploy
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not really sure what I was expecting in this book when I first read it. It turns out the author, Meg Cabot, is extremely talented. This book got me thinking pretty well. In short, I liked it.

Jessica Mastriani was your average sixteen year old girl... until she got hit by lightning. Did she die? Was she injured? No. She seemed fine. That is, until she discovered she came find missing people dead or alive. In the second book, she had already discovered that not everyone wants to be found.
Angelia Fransisca Rusli
Oct 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, fantasy, meg-cabot
I'm so lucky to find this two-in-one book because it is super hard to find any part of this book nowadays.
Plus, two books in one?

When Lightning Strikes

Jess Mastriani was struck by lightning. So, she's dead? No. Coma? No. She's perfectly healthy. Until she dreamt of the exact location of missing children and called 1-800-where-r-you. And... voila! The missing children are back! But is she doing the right thing? What if some of the children didn't want to be find?

Written in typically Meg
Kristen My Bookish Fairy Tale
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it
Vanished was a great story. Sassy Jessica Mastriani is a girl who doesn't like to be bothered much. She likes it even less when you say something horrible about her friends or family. This is why Jessica spends a lot of her free time in detention. Needless does Jessica know that serving detention is going to be the least of her worries.

I really really enjoyed Vanished. Meg Cabot is absolutely hilarious. I loved Jess. She is a great snarky and sarcastic character who you can't help but think that
Lauren Baptista
Jul 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Just so y’all know...Meg Cabot is one of my favorite authors. Also, this book (and the next one) has been on my TBR list for like 5 years-and I finally got to it.

So the main character, Jess(ica) is a total kick-ass, snarky, and nerdy 16-year old girl-and I love her. This story is written in her perspective, and she adds some hilarious little witty remarks. Oh, and she’s also sorta wanted by the FBI, due to her special psychic abilities. With that being said, a guy she requests help from quite
Natalie
Sep 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This is the omnibus version of the first two books (When Lightning Strikes and Code Name Cassandra) in the 1-800-WHERE-R-YOU series.

I had heard of this series but had never read it, even though I’ve read most of Meg Cabot’s books, so I wanted to give this series a try.

I enjoyed Code Name Cassandra much more than When Lightning Strikes. Book 1 introduced Jess and her abilities, but a lot of it was just so far fetched, with the whole helicopter thing and all. In book 2, Jess is aware of her
Kaethe Douglas
Cabot's books are always such a pleasure to read, and these are no exception. The heroine of this series is literally struck by lightning, and develops the extremely specific ability to wake up in the morning knowing the precise location of 2 missing kids.

What makes it such fun is Jess's agression and tendency to just go charging into trouble. There is a Nancy Drew feeling to the stories, but with a short George in the lead. Twenty years out, some of the slang is outdated and/or discomforting,
Veronica T
Mar 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
Veronica
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This book ( or should I say books) was really amazing and I had to give it five stars, well the second one wasn't my favorite but it was still great.

The great things about this book
1) I can really relate to it. And it's so true, it really felt like someone was really telling their life story, if we lived in a world where we would find missing children with the power of our minds.
With powers
2) great detail, I loved how it really described everything, I felt so connected to Jess.
3) rob.

And there
ilham.mukhtar
Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Giving the book a try so when people bash chick-lit, I'll know what about it to bash, well - objectively. Another reason is the fact that I want to know Meg Cabot. In a strange way, she didn't disapoint. I know I should choke and fell of the chair reading how Manstriani, the less than perfect protagonist, displaying every bit of signs of girls hitting puberty, but I didn't.

Perhaps due to the way how she goes about it unapologetically.

Another run to Meg Cabot's? No thanks, though. I'll ensure my
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Queen)ஐ
Reissue of the first two books in her 1-800-Where-R-You series: When Lightning Strikes and Code Name Cassandra. Personally I think "Vanished" is a misleading title. The main character can find missing children after being struck by lightening.
Grace
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist, favorites
One of my FAV series when I was younger by a very talented author.
darsha
Sep 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
cant wait to get my hands on the 3rd book!
Bea Angeles
Apr 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book is pretty good.
It would be really cool if you have the power Jessica has.
Hannah
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Meg Cabot
Recommended to Hannah by: Gifted to me by a friend
I promise to be brutally honest with my opinion, but it should not be taken as fact. Any reader should read it for themselves, before they decide if this book has any merit or not. Do not judge this book biased solely on my opinion. If you do, you might miss out on a great read. You never know. It could happen.

So, this book called Vanished is actually two separate books in one. Too bad Goodreads will not recognize this book as two separate ones in my book goal for 2012. Oh, well! Anyways, I
Zara
"How did I ever get to be so lucky? Really. I want to know. I mean, have you ever, in your life, met anyone with worse luck than mine?" (Jessica Mastriani, Code Name Cassandra)

The 1-800-Where-R-You/Vanished series has an extremely interesting and unique concept: A girl gains psychic powers after being struck by lightning and can find missing people.
10 out of 10 points for plot execution.
I love the main character, Jess. She's a spunky and sassy tomboy with anger management issues and she's
Kandace
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book! I am usually a very slow reader but when I read this book I would pick it up and the next thing I knew I had read 100 pages! The thing I liked about this book most is the characters. They are all very fun and interesting whether your laughing with them and cheering them on or rolling your eyes, annoyed at them. They all make you feel a certain type of emotion at some point of the book.
Another thing I love is all the action. Whenever something suspenseful happens it
Josie Le
Apr 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Though Cabot had written a lot of juvenile books before, this one takes the cake for the book with the most annoying, idiotic, and shittiest protagonist.

Jesus, I was feeling pretty dehydrated today because it was boiling here in down under, so I played a game while reading the book: every time the word ”slut” is said in the book, I’ll take a swig of water.

This is a remark about a girl who likes to sunbathe in her backyard:

”Well”, I said, ”you got to admit, she does look good in a bathing suit.
Lyssa Villanueva
Feb 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-books
To be honest, I don't have any expectation with this book(s), to which I think is a good thing because I was able to enjoy it in my own flow without the needs to suffice the "expectation" meter I always set for a certain book.

Riveting in its own way, witty in a lot of different ways--Vanished is a book perfect for light reading with a dose of mystery and adventure (and detentions) on the side.

I really like how the heroine, Jess, isn't the typical girly girl superhero (i really like how she
Kareenah E
Oct 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Story follows main character Jessica, who was stroke by lightning and gained the ability to locate missing people. After she called in the location of a few missing children she gained the attention of the entire nation as well as the FBI, who wanted to run test on her and to used her as an asset. eventually things got too overwhelming for hr, and she ended telling them that she no longer have her powers anymore, just so that she can go back to a normal life. Things never really work out that ...more
Ellie
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: z-2017
6/4/2017 I finished the first book out of this 2-for-1, but I've kept it on my currently-reading shelf thinking I'd get around to the second book eventually, but I haven't.
Since it's been over a week now, I don't remember much of the book itself. Of course, it was a bit more juvenile, a bit more unlikely than I remember from when I first read it years ago. I had also seen the first season of the television show, and that had messed with how I remember the book. For instance, Jess did not get
Carolyne
Dec 05, 2017 rated it it was ok
I had bought the Vanished (Book 3 & 4) years ago, but never read it because how could I start in the middle of a series.

I was quite disappointed in this book. I couldn't continuously read and found myself needing a distraction every now and then. Throughout the book, I found it had a couple of spelling errors, which bothered my flow and later, bothered me that a publication wasn't more careful.

I think the hype for this book is too high. I was genuinely excited to read this only to have it
Gina  Clabo
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
So enjoyed these books (Books 1 and 2) Jess is the best sassy ass girl and I laughed at her antics..Love the friendship and love interest in these stories book 2 is a continuation of book one it is about a girl Jess who gets hit by lightning and then can find missing children so fun and enjoyable..Recommend to 15 yrs and up..Does have some strong language but not to bad..Gina Clabo
Sammie
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was very intriguing from the beginning to the end. I liked how she added different changes that led to the plot. Rob is a total hottie and their confusing relationship was one of my favorite elements. I hope the second book still has their confusing relationship and plot. Cannot wait to read the next two books!
Books and Pans
Oct 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was great. Jess is a wonderful character that you can't help to want to read more about. I got completely sucked into her world and did not want to put the book down. The only reason it did not receive 5 stars is because of the horrible editing performance. This book had way too many spelling errors missed by the editor. I hope they fix it. Otherwise fantastic read.
Lissa
Aug 13, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm a Meg Cabot fan but could only get through the first book. I was intrigued by the "this is all my police statement" writing, but it wore thin and wasn't enough to keep me interested. It was just deadly dull.
Siddhi N
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2020 marked it as to-read
I've already read the first book in this bindup, but idk when I'll get to book two!
Jen apperley
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
I finished this so quick it’s so fast paced! I loved the humour in this
Roxy
Jul 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Safe House (1-800-Where-R-You, #3)
  • When Lightning Strikes (1-800-Where-R-You, #1)
  • Sanctuary (1-800-Where-R-You, #4)
  • Shadowland (The Mediator, #1)
  • Code Name Cassandra (1-800-Where-R-You, #2)
  • Flyaway
  • Team Trinity
  • The Abused Werewolf Rescue Group
  • The Reformed Vampire Support Group
  • TASTE: Vampire Magic (Kingdom of Blood and Ash, #1)
  • Sherwood
  • Every Breath You Take  (Second Opportunities #4)
  • Last Year's Mistake
  • The Door to January
  • Echoes Between Us
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • Strife (Sweep, #9)
  • Something Like Gravity

Meg Cabot was born on February 1, 1967, during the Chinese astrological year of the Fire Horse, a notoriously unlucky sign. Fortunately she grew up in Bloomington, Indiana, where few people were aware of the stigma of being a fire horse -- at least until Meg became a teenager, when she

1-800-Where-R-You (5 books)
  • When Lightning Strikes (1-800-Where-R-You, #1)
  • Code Name Cassandra (1-800-Where-R-You, #2)
  • Safe House (1-800-Where-R-You, #3)
  • Sanctuary (1-800-Where-R-You, #4)
  • Missing You (1-800-Where-R-You, #5)
“So I said, “Wouldn’t you be defensive if someone you didn’t know started asking you stuff about your schizophrenic brother?” But he said no, he wouldn’t—not unless he had something to hide. So then I said the only thing I had to hide was the fact that I wanted to give him a big old knuckle sandwich,” 0 likes