Start by marking “Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #1)

Spyder Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #1)

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  243 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Nolan Kilkenny is pursuing his doctorate in advanced computer technology. While investigating a seemingly harmless technical problem in a complex, highly secured computer network, he becomes involved in the CIA and FBI's fierce hunt for three computer-age information pirates. The ruthless, brilliant thieves have stolen Spyder -- the CIA's ultra-secret electronic intelligen ...more
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published February 1st 1999 by Hachette Audio (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Spyder Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Spyder Web

Jan 30, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Tom Grace called the Rush Limbaugh show yesterday and questioned whether he should try to get a job as an architect again, because doing so might help President Obama's unemployment numbers in some minuscule way...and he did not want to do that.

Think about the petty little partisan shithead mind that came up with that thought for a moment before you even contemplate purchasing one of his books and supporting such a dickwad.

First of all, um, no, Mr. Grace, you would not be helping Obama's emplo
Jill Manske
How can you have a really good plot and still end up with a mediocre book? Have Tom Grace write it. Industrial espionage in the digital age is a fascinating theme and had a great deal of promise. Unfortunately, one-dimensional characters and formal, stilted dialog, along with a meandering storyline and tedious detail spelled its demise. Detail? Make that excruciating detail. Unless you're a Bill Gates wannabe, it's way too much. And then in other areas, maybe to be perverse, Grace treats readers ...more
Balthazar Lawson
There were a lot of confusing aspects to this book especially when it came to describing all the computer action. It attempted to be too detailed and was, therefore, confusing and in the end added nothing to the story. Cutting a lot of this out would have made it a more interesting read instead of the long drawn out experience it was. The ending was rather dumb and more like the ending of a weekly TV show than of a novel.
Nov 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really 4.5 stars. Minus half a star because the opening was a little hard. Foreign chinese names as well as the use of multiple names for the same character (first & last used interchangeably) made it hard to get the characters straight and get into the plot. Around page 10, I started to get ahold of the plot. By page 50, the story was humming along. By page 80, I was hooked!

Since this is the first book in a series, here are the major character development points:
- Nolan Kilkenny is honorabl
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun because much happens in MI.
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was very pleasantly surprised by this. I'm a hard case when it comes to spy-fi: all too often, the characters are cardboard and the dialog stinks. Not so here. This guy wirtes dialogue WAY better than the likes of Tom Clancy (thank heavens for that). Moreover, his IT geeks were completely credible characters (I've known many, and they're too often stereotyped). Plus, I'm from Chicago, and I know Michigan pretty well from years of trips to Union Pier, Benton Harbor and Ann Arbor. Not only was I ...more
Bev Taylor
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
gatekeeper is a computer device designed by the us govt that can effectively block the most experienced hacker

the reverse side is spyder - which is identical but when installed in one computer can easily and undetected hack into any other computer

put these two together with the states and china plus professional hacker 'consultants' and u have a recipe for disaster

this introduces us to nolan kilkenny who has just finished his duties as a navy seal but just back in his job as a compuer expert
Joe White
Apr 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, donated
The technology dated to between 88-'95. The author as a writer either didn't have the depth of OS knowledge and application programming that he needed, or purposely obscured and dumb-ed down details for readers with less knowledge.

The author approached the characters and sex as if he were writing for high school level boys.

The espionage portions of the story were quite good, except for the ending being too dramatic.
Jeff Dickison
Fair computer-espionage book, was first by Grace. This is the second computer-espionage book I have read this week and I think I'm done with this genre for a while. Besides, my computer guru is my wife. She's not as good as the guys in this book, but then she's not a mastermind criminal nor a goverment agent. Anyway, I recommend the book to anyone interested in the computer-espionage genre.
Margo Brooks
This is a thriller with little thrill. It is hard to feel the fear in computer espionage when all the action comes from a curser on a computer screen. Then there was all the description of that curser. The steaks weren't high enough for the main characters and the descriptions too mundane to make me want to read another of these spy novels.
May 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first half of the book sets up the second half of the book - which is a good thing. But I need to warn you that the first half of the book is slow.

I like what the author does with his main characters... but at times this reads like a movie script treatment more than a stand-alone novel.

Yes, I'm aware it's the first book in a series - I'm curious to see where he goes from here.
George Ladds
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want a good crime writer then look no further, this is a great introduction to the series. coming out of the navy seals nolan k goes to work at a high tec firm run by his dad. quickly he is sucked into a world of espionage. twists and turns a fast moving crime book.
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Nothing mindblowing, but if you like a spy story, this is good entertainment. Tom Grace also has a very relaxed writing style and it is easy to get into the story. His main characters were also very likeable
Good spy-book. It's really fun b/c the author sets his characters from University of MI. The female was a UM swimmer! It's fun to read something with reference points that you have actually seen/been/experienced.
Ron Holmes
May 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book by Tom Grace and the first one of his I have read. It is very interesting, almost believable, lots of twists and turns. Alas, not really any intimate relationships. It was a good first book.
Ralph McEwen
Jan 17, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is well put together the font and whiteness of the pages made this a easy book to read. The story line and characters actions did not require that you suspend disbelief. The interactions of the characters was realistic. I am looking forward to reading more of this authors works.
Nov 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy
A damn good read, I liked it a lot. Very much like Clive Clusser. I cant wait for his next book.
Charley Nosswin
I didn't like all the detail about the technical aspects; the blurb was far more focused on the action parts. In reality, this took up maybe 30% of the book, with the rest being filled with jargon.
Jan 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
cool book this guy writes such easy to read books, they do tend to just end abruptly though. still an enjoyable read whil drinking cofee in my face cafe.
Veselin Topchiev
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it was not amazing read to give it 5, but well worth 4 stars.
Enjoyed it and will continue the series.
Adrian Wills
Oct 10, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get on with this one. Had to give up after just a few chapters
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fast-paced, taut thriller that kept me hooked from the beginning. Several different characters are followed, who gradually interact. Combines, espionage, computers and action.
Elizabeth Clark
Jan 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
It's not clear why Nolan ended up in London, but otherwise the book is interesting and reminds me of Clive Cussler and Tom Clancy.
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-list
Unfortunately you need a degree in computer science to get what's really going on and it leaves you a bit bored and thinking if you've picked up a textbook.
David Hookham
Jun 12, 2012
  • Society of the Mind
  • Hammerjack
  • The Grey Man
  • The Einstein Papers (John Taft, #1)
  • Greed (Matt Browning, #1)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
  • Fatal Error
  • Free Fall (Mark Beamon, #3)
  • Blackout (Sam Archer, #3)
  • The Scorpion's Gate
  • Days of Drums
  • Nanowhere
  • Brandenburg
  • Charon's Landing (Philip Mercer, #2)
  • A Gathering of Saints
  • The Spy (Jed Walker, #1)
  • The Infidel
  • The Donor
Tom Grace is the bestselling author of the Nolan Kilkenny series of adventure novels, and an architect in private practice. The Kilkenny novels feature Graces signature character, an ex-Navy Seal with strong ties to the Catholic Church.

In constructing his novels, Grace draws upon his intensely detail-oriented skills honed in the practice of architecture, in which he designs projects ranging from
More about Tom Grace...

Nolan Kilkenny Thriller (6 books)
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #2)
  • Twisted Web (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #3)
  • Bird Of Prey (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #4)
  • The Secret Cardinal (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #5)
  • Undeniable (Nolan Kilkenny Thriller #6)

Fiction Deals

• Vanessa and Her Sister
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The King's Mistress
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Sun (The Northern Lights Series, No 3)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Cement Garden (Ian McEwan Series Book 2)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Book of Love: Poems of Ecstasy and Longing
    $8.24 $1.99
  • Under the Wide and Starry Sky
  • Illuminations: A Novel of Hildegard von Bingen
    $14.95 $1.99
  • The Cove
    $7.49 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Bagombo Snuff Box
  • The High Mountains of Portugal
  • The Cat's Pajamas: Stories
    $7.99 $1.99
  • East Wind: West Wind: The Saga of a Chinese Family (Oriental Novels of Pearl S. Buck Book 8)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Thistle and the Rose (Tudor Saga, #8)
  • The Burgess Boys