Start by marking “Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) About TV” as Want to Read:
Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) About TV

Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (and Hate to Love) About TV

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  266 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
Shut Up, TV!

In Television Without Pity, the founders of the popular TV-recap Web site TelevisionWithoutPity.com pay snarky tribute to 752 of the shows, characters, actors, clichés, plot devices, memorable moments, and catchphrases that make watching TV such a guilty pleasure.

Topics include:

•  America’s Next Top Model
     •  Bad Sitcoms Starring Good Comedia
Published September 1st 2006 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Television Without Pity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Television Without Pity

Rachel
Apr 30, 2014 rated it liked it
It's likely that many years from now when I remember the '00s, I will remember it as the TWoP decade, if only because it seems as if I spent a good 20% of my waking hours on that site. Although I more or less stopped reading and posting there six or seven years ago, with NBC recently shutting down the website, it seemed like a good time to finally read this book, which consists of short entries in alphabetical order bearing such headings as "Harrison, Chris, Indistinguishability from Mark L. Wal ...more
Barbara
Jan 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
It's pretty funny and they feel similarly about some of the shows that I watch and have watched. And they remember stuff I thought noone else did.

Some of it I was crying laughing about.

My main complaint is it needs copyediting and there are letters they leave out. Needs technical polish.
Ubalstecha
This is one of the most important books a bathroom can have. Full of quips, synopses and snarky comments, there are times you will laugh out loud, other times you will snicker, but above all else, you will nod your head in appreciation of the observations in this book.
Dan
Dec 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: entertainment
Television Without Pity is organized like an encyclopedic work, with individual entries, in alphabetical order, on television shows, actors, characters, themes and moments. It is not a book for winning bar bets or settling arguments; it's not even really organized as a reference work, but is actually kind of random overall. Look at the note for actor Terry O'Quinn, for instance, and you'll find that he plays John Locke on Lost. However, you won't find any article on the show, or even any other ...more
Jennifer Johnson
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it

I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was to find this book in my local used bookstore. I love the website Television Without Pity. I loved that website back in it's early days- when it was known as Mighty Big TV. The recaps are always funny and a GODSEND when you miss an episode. While I don't really spend a tonne of time there anymore- I still have a soft spot for the site and it's contributors, whose blogs I still frequently read.

Television Without Pity: 752 Things We Love to Hate (And
Kerrikoala
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is evil! Haha. I'd stay up late reading it, then be up even later because I'd have to look shows they mentioned up on youtube. This was sort of amusing and somewhat dated, and I'm a little surprised that certain shows and people were left out. I also didn't agree with all of their opinions, but that's the way it goes. I used to read recaps on televisionwithoutpity.com, until I realized that it was ruining my favorite shows for me. (Too much snark, I guess.) This book almost made me mis ...more
Sarra
Dec 07, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: nobody
I just... hate everything about the way these women write. Liiiiiiike... constant over- and mis-use of ellipses. Aaaaaaaaaand the way they draw out vowels for emphasis. It's also not cute when you tack someone's name onto the end of an insult, SARS. Lose the shtick and learn how to really write already, TARA. HAAAAAATE.

Seriously, they might occasionally be funny, but their writing gimmicks are extra-gimmicky in book form - and the sorts of things I listed above come off as grating, juvenile, and
Melissa
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
I confess. I bought this book as part of a friend's Christmas present (we bonded over www.televisionwithoutpity.com way back when), and then I had to read the entire thing before sending her her gift. Which made her gift arrive late. I am a bad friend, but it's a damn fun book. Basically like candy, or maybe popcorn, it's snarky comments about television. Some notable ommissions, but also some really fun categories. I laughed, I stayed up too late reading, completely sucked in. Much like I do wi ...more
lisa
Jun 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: used-to-be-mine
this book reminded me why i stopped reading twop in the first place: their attitude toward firefly was so obnoxious that i couldn't handle it. i know it's just one show, and i don't care that they personally dislike it (although i think that's more because they never gave it a chance than because they disliked it), but when you're writing what amounts to a tv encyclopedia in 2006 and you don't even mention firefly in the cult tv shows entry, your bias is showing a whole lot.

otherwise it was funn
Betsy
Dec 30, 2008 rated it really liked it
As a child of the 1970's who clearly remembers the launch of Nickelodeon, the heyday of Beverly Hills 90210 and the season finale of M*A*S*H, this books is a nostalgic tour of all that's delightful and horible (but too fascinating to turn off) about television. The tome of guilty-pleasure TV trivia will mean little to those folks who insist they've never seen an episode of Friends or Survivor. Instead, this is a gift for those TV junkies in your life who can still sing the theme from the Gilliga ...more
Nancy
Feb 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE IT! Even when I disagree with the authors' viewpoint, I still laugh at it. I enjoy the encyclopedia set up of the whole thing, and the "see also" portions at the bottom. If you love TV as much as I do, you should check this book out. I like to have it around, just as a reference. Oh, and I love the gratuitous use of schadenfreude, including the (I believe) newly coined schadenfreudelicious
miriam
May 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: tv, essays
es una especie de enciclopedia acerca de la televisión en Estados Unidos creada por la web de TWP, es muy interesante y divertido, sus análisis de algunos asuntos que se repiten en las series son muy buenos, la única pega que le pongo es que deberían hacer una segunda parte porque faltan muchas series que ahora mismo llenarían páginas y páginas como pueda ser Perdidos, Héroes... pero es que cuando crearon el libro estas series aún no estaban en antena (inglés)
Jackie
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
An entertaining inventory of television, from the trashy to the sublime (but mostly the trashy). It's somewhat outdated now, but it's still funny if you're vaguely familiar with shows from the early 2000; there's also a lot on classic television, and most of both new and old stuff is amusing even if you're not familiar with what they're talking about. Just avoid this if you can't handle people hating on your favorite things...
Meghan
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Okay, this is more an encyclopedia of various observations on television phenomenons and cliches. It's not a sit-down-and-read-it-cover-to-cover book, but I always pick it up and finger through it when I need a good laugh. Soooo funny!! I've been reading the TWOP website's recaps of various shows for years now. With hilarious entries like "Gallagher, Peter, Eyebrows of" and "Afterschool specials", this hilarious book keeps me smiling.
Liannis
Aug 06, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: popculture
Given this book away twice as gifts, and figured I should finally read it myself. It's a really good book, a virtual smorgasbord of TV trivia, snark, and witty observations. The only problem is it's slightly dated, and missing more recent television. But, it's still really good, especially if you've ever been to the [http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com] site.
Courtney Harris
Aug 27, 2007 rated it it was ok
An A-Z guide that is dedicated to Ian Ziering and includes an entry on Peter Gallagher's eyebrows. In other words, brilliant. However, it gets a low rating for such shoddy copy editing! Makes me wonder if they pulled an all-nighter to meet their deadline - and we (by which I mean I) know squinting toward the finish line in the middle of the night is a bad, bad idea.
Kelly ODwyer-Manuel
Jun 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Television fans
Television Without Pity is one of my very favorite websites, and I was very excited to be able to read a book written by Tara Ariano and Sara Bunting. The book did not disappoint. Wonderfully funny anecdotes written in the snarky style that makes the website so popular.

A must-read for any TV fan!
Daniel Kukwa
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
It tries VERY hard to be funny and witty and biting...but it certainly pales in comparison to the Virgin Publishing line of programme guides. It comes across as an "also ran", trying to be hip & cool...and stumbling with every step. Shows what happens when you've been spoiled by higher quality (and much funnier) TV & film critiques.
Gwen
Mar 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
I like this book, except that it would have been better if the other writers besides Wing Chung and Sars from the website had also written some of the entries. This is definately a good bathroom book though.
Lisa
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amusing most of the time, but not really a book you'd read all at once. It did crack me up pretty regularly though, and made me remember tv shows I hadn't thought of in forever. Written exactly like the website, which I liked.
Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Simply hilarious. Careful if you're going to read it in public, however, as you WILL embarrass yourself by snorting, weeping with laughter, etc. I had to stop reading it on the CTA because I was getting funny looks.
Karen-Leigh
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it
This is very entertaining. The opinions on all the familiar, to me, televisions shows and seeing where we agree and disagree. Some very biting remarks but on the whole a lovely slant and perspective.
Christine
Oct 21, 2007 rated it really liked it
I (heart) TWoP, and this book made me laugh constantly.
Kate
Sep 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: TV lovers and haters
Shelves: adultnon-fiction
A funny irreverent look at all things TV. What couldn't be great about a book that is dedicated to Ian Ziering of Beverly Hills 90210 fame?
Crystal
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
What good is TV if you can't make fun of it?
Meg
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Perfect bathroom read!
Celine
Apr 16, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was mostly fluff but easy to read in little bites. It was nice to know that I wasn't the only one who loved the show Double Trouble!!
Bethany Cook
Mar 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
HILARIOUS. Skimming through this book is a great way to fill a half hour.
Kate
Feb 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
snippy, vulgar,obviously 20 something rubbish. don't waste your time!
Marshaferz
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Silly and fun.
  • Teen Dreams: Reading Teen Film and Television from 'Heathers' to 'Veronica Mars'
  • Slayer Slang: A Buffy the Vampire Slayer Lexicon
  • Season Finale: The Unexpected Rise and Fall of the WB and UPN
  • Showgirls, Teen Wolves, and Astro Zombies: A Film Critic's Year-Long Quest to Find the Worst Movie Ever Made
  • Inside Pee-wee's Playhouse: The Untold, Unauthorized, and Unpredictable Story of a Pop Phenomenon
  • Seven Seasons of Buffy: Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers Discuss Their Favorite Television Show
  • You Couldn't Ignore Me If You Tried: The Brat Pack, John Hughes, and Their Impact on a Generation
  • Why Buffy Matters: The Art of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

• Maude
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Here Is Where: Discovering America's Great Forgotten History
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Rational Optimist (P.S.)
    $14.49 $2.99
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Of Wolves and Men (Scribner Classics)
  • God: A Story of Revelation
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Catch Me If You Can
  • Word by Word: The Secret Life of Dictionaries
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Hit Refresh: The Quest to Rediscover Microsoft's Soul and Imagine a Better Future for Everyone
    $15.99 $2.99
  • We Are Not Such Things: The Murder of a Young American, a South African Township, and the Search for Truth and Reconciliation
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
    $12.99 $3.99
  • American Wolf: A True Story of Survival and Obsession in the West
  • Reading with Patrick: A Teacher, a Student, and a Life-Changing Friendship
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Chancers: Addiction, Prison, Recovery, Love: One Couple's Memoir of Beating the Odds
  • In a Different Key: The Story of Autism
  • The Pastor: A Memoir
  • To Have or To Be?
  • Happy Accidents
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Circle Maker: Praying Circles Around Your Biggest Dreams and Greatest Fears
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Bridge of Spies
  • Bringing Adam Home: The Abduction That Changed America
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Shadow Divers: The True Adventure of Two Americans Who Risked Everything to Solve One of the Last Mysteries of World War II
    $12.99 $2.99
  • The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors: The Extraordinary World War II Story of the U.S. Navy's Finest Hour
  • Working with Emotional Intelligence
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Horse: The Daring U.S. Mission to Rescue the Priceless Stallions Kidnapped by the Nazis