Start by marking “Pretty Little Things” as Want to Read:
Pretty Little Things

Pretty Little Things

(FBI Agent Bobby Dees #1)

Thirteen-year-old Lainey Emerson is the middle child in a home police are already familiar with: her mother works too much and her stepfather favors his own blood over another man’s problems—namely Lainey and her wild older sister, Liza. So when Lainey does not come home from a Friday night out with her friends, it is dismissed by the Coral Springs P.D. as just another ...more
Published September 7th 2010 by Vanguard Press (first published January 1st 2010)

Start your review of Pretty Little Things
William Bentrim
Sep 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman

This book is not for the faint of heart. It deals with disposable children. Children who have been abandon by society or have abandoned society. Kids who have run away or have been snatched from all walks of life. Internet predators are specifically addressed and this is the story of Special Agent Bobby Dees and his efforts to save these children.

This was an excellent mystery. It was still hard to read. The predator was despicable and wholly frightening.
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Wow! It's 2am and I've read this book pretty much non stop over a 6 hour period, could not put it down...excellent plot, characters, and I did not see the ending coming at all.

I was expecting this book to be more gruesome and graphic in describing the killers methodologies but I read a lot of crime and this is not really a descriptively gory book in comparison to others. It's not sweetness and light don't get me wrong, it's a dark twisted sick serial killer that plays a pivotal role in this
Lauren
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
A gripping (and horrifying) story that grabbed my attention at the beginning, but the ending was awful. Unexpected, yes, but also highly unlikely and surrounded by a clumsy set of bizarre coincidences that made even less sense the more I thought about them.
Lynda Kelly
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: deleted
I really struggled with this book and almost packed it in a few times. The last was at around 58% and by then I needed to persist as I'd invested too much time on it.
There were way too many mistakes, some very basic indeed such as curser being used for cursor and concealor for concealer. Capital letters were missed at the start of sentences. There was a passage that made no sense whatsoever too-"just like the in the Bible".......
It was written as a teenager in places and that got very tiresome
Leslie
Mar 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cops, technology, mystery, ku
This is another book that mysteriously wandered into my orbit and I am glad it did. More than a police procedural or a standard mystery it is a book that points out the statistics of missing children, how children of a certain age are generally presupposed to be runaways and the requirements for an amber alert.

The main character is a FDLE agent who is renowed for his work with missing and exploited children. Bobby Dees might be a good cop but was he a good parent? And can he solve the case of
Best Crime Books & More
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Jilliane Hoffman was introduced to me originally by a friend and I read her first novel Retribution (2005) which I adored. However her next book didn't come out until a year later (Last Witness - 2006) and another two years go by before another book gets released (Plea of Insanity - 2008) and after that I forgot about her because it is so unpredictable with the timings of her books. Therefore I couldn't wait to get my grubby little paws on her latest thriller.

Pretty Little Things tells the story
Julie
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman is a 2014 Thomas & Mercer publication.

I have always enjoyed novels by Jilliane Hoffman and this one was no exception. A gritty and heart wrenching suspense thriller that left me in white knuckled suspense and a feeling of pain for victims of these crimes and their families, but also a feeling of hope.

When thirteen year old Lainey disappears it's not just a job for Bobby Dees and the Crimes Against Children Squad. For Bobby each of these crimes is
Maureen DeLuca
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book very much- and I really liked the main character Bobby Dee , an officer with the Crimes Against Children Squad . This novel deals with disposable children. Children who have been abandon by society or have abandoned society. Kids who have run away or have been snatched from all walks of life. Internet predators are specifically addressed -and for those who have kids or grand kids- reading this will make your grey hairs come in with lightning speed!

A very good read, I wold love
Helen Deakin
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book! Had me hooked in right from the start, well written and kept me guessing. Didn't pick the ending, that's for sure, and I loved every bit of it. Just added Jilliane Hoffman to my mental list of books to look out for.
James Fitzgerald
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS A FAST PACED CRIME THRILLER That you won't be able to put it down. It was very well written it was rich in facts but easy to read. The story is told from the perspective of Detective Bobby
Dees (his daughter had vanished over a year ago. As well as the victim Lainey ( 13 year old girl)that goes missing after agreeing to meet a young boy she met on the internet. Of course he was a predator,who seeks out young girls to kidnap and torture.

I really enjoyed this book and recommend it. It is
Amina
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well, I kinda liked this book.
It had many elements I need in a book, as a bit of action, interesting main character and something happened that I didn't read about much before. So I don't know about other, but I haven't read many books of children kidnapping. I did watch many episodes of various TV shows about it, but not in the books. It is quite upsetting to read about it, because you don't want to see that hit the news or happen to anyone you know. It's just too much.
But the author did
Nicolle
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I read of Jilliane Hoffman. She had me at the first sentence, I could not put this book down. The plot of the story is a real-life issue of internet predators. Through this book and its characters I realized how naive I am to on-line chats and techy stuff kids are into. As a parent, my eyes are now WIDE OPEN!

As a reader, I felt the emotion Hoffman was describing of her characters. At times it made me sick to my stomach and scared. A writer who can reach through the pages
Joi
Aug 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book but I feel like it was a little overkill. I understand trying to make it a serial killer, but I think that it could have been done differently. I got tired of reading the same thing every 50 pages. I enjoyed the characters and the plot. The ending was terrific once I finally got to it...I did not guess the killer at all. I like Jilliane Hoffman as an author and can't wait to read more of her work.
Little Butterfly
Mar 07, 2016 rated it liked it
It's a very tough read, not for the faint of heart, that's for sure. The dangers of the internet are much more real than we want to believe. You can never really be sure who you are chatting with and this book shows the shocking consequences of it.
A good book overall with a very credible and likeable cop. Some things did not add up though or were never explained. The twist at the end was not believable to me.
Deanna
Feb 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just finished this book this morning. Only took a day or so to read. Was an emotional and sometimes upsetting book but captivating and easy to follow. This is the first book I've read by Jilliane Hoffman but I will look at reading others.
Tammy Caceres
Sep 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I need a shelf for sadistic serial killers. For now I am just filing them under thrillers. I enjoyed this book but then I am a fan of police procedural crime novels. So no shocker there.
Mel Ly
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As awesome as expected!

When I first read „Cupido“ in 2004 I was instantly thrilled by the way Jilliane Hoffman writes her books.
So I had also high expectations concerning „Pretty little things“ by J.H. and she fulfilled them completely. Totally deserved 5 Stars in my opinion! I read it in under 36 hours because I couldn’t drop it ... Now I can’t wait to read Insomnia which is the only book from her that I haven’t read yet.
Andrew Pender-Smith
Dec 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Gritty, tense and generally well paced, there is a great deal to recommend this story. The characters are fully fleshed and the short chapters help keep the storyline taut through numerous twists and turns. The tension builds as the story progresses and the last third is a real page-turner.
Anja
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mega Klasse!
Jolene
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love finding new places to get books! And the Dollar Tree might be my favorite! Sure, most of the selection is lame. A lot of political books, children's books and cheesy romance novels. But on occasion I find one that looks interesting enough to throw down the $1.08. And even if it doesn't turn out to be a book I love, I can pass it on and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg. Have I mentioned how cheap I am? So here we go!

Within the first few pages I wasn't feeling great about this book. Maybe
Jbb Lim
Jul 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
17 September 2016
--------------
My little sister knew I was a crime thriller geek when I first started reading as a hobby. So, she gave me a task to see whether I'm able to find out who the psycho is in this book. I took up her challenge and read it without hesitation.

The book introduced us to our victim and was immediately being held captive is less than 5 chapters. So, this is where we are being introduced to our investigator and the plot starts to flow. I'm quite fond of the writing because
Darcy
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a hard book to read due to the subject manner, kidnapped kids, and a hard book to review without spoiling one little fact, which I will do later.

Bobby seems like a dedicated professional working in a field that rarely has happy endings. Bobby works in a specialized department that tracks missing kids. It is a thankless job, where often you find bodies, but Bobby is so good he has earned the nickname "The Shepherd" because he often finds even those lost cases. It is really hard not to
Martha☀
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, own, 2018-bingo
Agent Dees is the officer in charge of locating runaway teens in Miami. His job is taxing, to say the least, as young girls go missing at an alarming rate and many do not want to be found. Some are escaping domestic abuse, others go on drug benders and some are lured away by internet trolls who have lewd plans for them. But he diligently leaves no stone unturned and tries to give their families closure, no matter what the result.
In his search for 14 year old Lainey, he finds himself in a serial
Shelves: first-reads
Tory Wagner
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense, police
In Pretty Little Things, Jilliane Hoffman has written another great thriller that will strike terror in the hearts of all mothers. Special Agent Bobby Dees is on the hunt for a serial killer who has lured young Lainey to his lair through her MySpace account. Bobby has a special interest in the case because his daughter is also missing, one of many run-aways missing in the U.S. Bobby plays a cat and mouse game with the perp while trying to deal with his own family issues. Some twists and turns ...more
TJ
Jun 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read other Jilliane Hoffman books and have thoroughly enjoyed them. I bought this one knowing she wouldn't disappoint and she didn't. This book was very interesting right from the beginning and the character development was wonderful. I really felt for all the characters, even the ones I didn't like. Jilliane takes you on a roller coaster of emotions, you go from sad to scared to mad to scared and you have no idea how the ride will end. By mid book I couldn't put it down. I also enjoyed ...more
Jennifer Kühn
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is like the Cupido storys a very suspenseful thriller. Jillian Hoffmans writing style is gripping and I liked how the story evolved around Bobby Dees. You could feel the tension and I haven't seen this end coming. (view spoiler)5 out of 5 Stars for this very good thriller!
Dalila.
I knew it who he was.... but still love it

Wow. This book goes right to the top of my list titled "Books I couldn't put down". Hoffman has created here a theatrical piece of writing here which falls into the category of psych crime thriller.
Our story is told by a few different characters, but the book seemingly flows without that feeling of jumping around or repeating scenes as often is the case in this kind of writing. My big recommendation
Dan
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wasn't sure about this book. The topic is a difficult one for any parent. The reviews were good so I gave it a shot. Flew through the first 2 chapters, skipping over some of the stuff I didn't really care about just so I could get a quick feel for the book without investing too much time. Well, it didn't take long to get sucked into the storyline. The book grabs you quickly, and doesn't let go until the very end.

I will be looking at other books from this author.

Play Book Tag: (Trim) Pretty Little Things by Jilliane Hoffman - 4 stars 1 10 May 19, 2019 08:54PM
Revelation about the killer 1 4 Aug 12, 2016 06:45PM

• Rachesommer (Walter Pulaski, #1)
  • The 50/50 Killer
  • The Darker Side (Smoky Barrett, #3)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • Das Geschenk
  • Abandoned (Smoky Barrett #4)
  • Die letzte Spur
  • Das Haus der Mädchen
  • Todesfrist (Maarten S. Sneijder, #1)
  • Der Menschenmacher
  • Magieflimmern (Die Krone der Dunkelheit, #2)
  • Fatal Hearts
  • Die Therapie
  • Grievance
  • Offline
  • Eighty Days Yellow (Eighty Days, #1)
  • Schlüssel 17
  • Wer Wind sät (Bodenstein & Kirchhoff, #5)
Jilliane P. Hoffman began her professional career as an Assistant State Attorney prosecuting felonies in Florida from 1992 to 1996 with special assignments to the Domestic Violence and the Legal Extradition Units. Originally from Long Island, she currently lives in South Florida with her husband and two children.

FBI Agent Bobby Dees (2 books)
  • Insomnia