Start by marking “Two Cures for Love: Selected Poems, 1979-2006” as Want to Read:
Two Cures for Love: Selected Poems, 1979-2006

Two Cures for Love: Selected Poems, 1979-2006

The idea for this book grew out of Wendy Cope's experience of meeting her audience, when reading her poems in schools. This is an edition of the poems which identifies the references, verse-forms, contexts and occasions of her work, and which offers readers a new arrangement of the poetry as a whole. The notes also identify dates of composition, so that it is possible to o ...more
Published February 5th 2009 by Faber Faber (first published June 5th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Two Cures for Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Two Cures for Love

Vanessa
Dec 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Poetry collections can be a real hit or miss for me. This one landed fairly in the middle. At times it teetered into the 3.5 star category, but by the end of it I felt satisfied with 3. I think the main issue I took from this was that Wendy Cope likes to write poems in the style of other poets and parody them - not a problem in itself, but if you are not well-versed (excuse the pun) in that poet's work/style, it'll probably pass you by. That was my experience anyway. Saying all that though, ther ...more
Anca
Oct 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this while taking a long hot bath on an ordinary Monday. Today - 31st October 2011. This book made my day today.

"My heart has made up its mind
And I'm afraid it's you"
Xueting
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-borrowed-this
I think I would enjoy Wendy Cope's poems waaaay more if I am more aware of the poets (or some other famous people) and their styles that she parodies, since a large portion of her poems are parodies. But those that I can fully appreciate and the poems that aren't generally parodies are enjoyable and interesting poems!
Tamara
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewedreads
One of my favourite book-based memories occurred during the reading of this one, in which I was perched on the window ledge/sill of my hotel room overlooking a night-time Paddington and delighting in this collection of poems. And it was during a poem called "Valentine" that I had a nice epiphany about my own heart, confirmed by a re-read of "After the Lunch."

...the jukebox inside me is playing a song.
Paul Doody
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully witty poetry from one of our best poets.
Inken
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's really impossible to say you've finished reading a poetry book because let's face it, you never finish :-). Especially one as witty, funny, moving and smart as Wendy Cope's collection.
Colleen
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-poetry
Wow. I even added a new shelf for this one :o) (Adult Poetry)

Thank you Sarah!! I never would have picked this up if you didn't post The Orange on Facebook. I am not a poetry girl and hate having to try to find meaning in everything I read. This little volume was completely enjoyable, and I really enjoyed about 80% of the poems. I think this is actually the first "real" adult poetry book I have attempted. (I still think Where the Sidewalk Ends counts as well).

This took up two pages of notes and
Sahir D'souza.
Wendy Cope's poetry is wonderful stuff. Some of it is obscure or strange (witness ‘Some More Light Verse’), but a lot of it is lovely. There are so many nice ones, it's hard to pick favourites. ‘Kindness to Animals’ and ‘An Attempt at Unrhymed Verse’ are especially funny. ‘Valentine’ and ‘Being Boring’ are sweet and also the first two Wendy Cope poems I ever read, which prompted me to buy this book. ‘Flowers’ and ‘The Orange’ are warm love poems. But there are so, so many more waiting to be read ...more
Victoria
Jan 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Even if you don't like poetry, you must read this book. It is so very clever, heartfelt and downright funny.

Examples:

Two Cures for Love
1. Don't see him. Don't phone or write a letter.
2. The easy way: get to know him better.

or

Loss
The day he moved out was terrible —
That evening she went through hell.
His absence wasn't a problem
But the corkscrew had gone as well.

It also doesn't hurt that this book was given to me by a 30-year friend, Naomi Howell.
Rachel
Aug 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Hmm. I am not sure where I stand in my opinion of Cope. (Also, this was a very sparse selection of poems on which to formulate an opinion. And expensive, too, at 9.50. Not impressed.) I liked Valentine and Being Boring, but I liked those before I read this anthology, so the value-added is ... zero. She can be clever and witty when it comes to love and cynicism, but anything else leaves her grasping. Although that could be my bias against nature-poetry (YUCK) showing.
Angela Ferguson
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A top selection of Wendy Cope poems. I particularly like Loss, with Wendy's witty aside about going through hell after a break up - simply because he took the corkscrew! Also love the very appropriate poem entitled Valentine.
g026r
Nov 04, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, 2010
There are some brilliant literary parodies here — spot-on in their satirizing — and there's a definite ingenuity to some of the pieces. But, at the same time, I admit to a bias against light verse and I just can't help but feel unfulfilled after reading it.
Laura Macdonald
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favourite living poet. This is just a wonderful collection. You can read it just as a funny set of poems talking about life and live in a lighthearted manner and then re-read it and delve underneath for the depth and emotion. If I could write like one person, I would choose Wendy Cope.
Francesca
I absolutely loved this collection of poems. It's honest, funny, serious, all at the same time. I definitely recommend it, even if you're not a massive poetry-reader.
Ivor
Apr 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short and entertaining book of poems
Polly
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Funniest thing since Dorothy Parker.
Sarah Hannah
Nov 03, 2013 added it
Shelves: poetry
Wendy Cope is funny and a genius and wins at all the things.
Vincent Eaton
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
lots of fun.
Kyle
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, re-reading
Two Cures for Love

1. Don't see him. Don't phone or write a letter.
2. The easy way: get to know him better.
Leah
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
I especially loved the notes she included for each poem!
Gunita Zaube
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Great collection of poems. Extraordinary observations, playful and full of unexpected truths.
Moushumi Ghosh
Dec 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An energetic, entertaining and light-hearted look at all the high and mundane things that make up our lives. Can read it again and again. Pity, I have to return the library book.
Thomas Ryan
Jun 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, favs
one of the greatest gifts i have ever received
Anthony
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I fine selection of witty and technically assured poems.
Mrs Nicola Robertson
Aug 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
very surprised to find out I really enjoyed this collection of poems.
Matt Little

• The Emperor's Babe
  • Physical
  • Vain Art of the Fugue
  • Dear Future Boyfriend
Wendy Cope was educated at Farringtons School, Chislehurst, London and then, after finishing university at St Hilda's College, Oxford, she worked for 15 years as a primary school teacher in London.

In 1981, she became Arts and Reviews editor for the Inner London Education Authority magazine, 'Contact'. Five years later she became a freelance writer and was a television critic for 'The Spectator mag