Start by marking “The Sisters” as Want to Read:
The Sisters

The Sisters

This Squid Ink Classic includes the full text of the work plus MLA style citations for scholarly secondary sources, peer-reviewed journal articles and critical academic research essays. Perfect for when your teacher requires you to provide scholarly articles and cite your sources in MLA format for your research paper.
Published October 1st 1993 by Commuter Library (first published August 13th 1904)

Jules ♈ ☾Bookvergent☽
Modernism is definately not my thing. Nothing happens in the story and it leaves the reader to fill in the blanks. The themes are easy: sin, fall from grace, paralysis, and hints of child abuse. A lot of sentences are left unfinished in the dialogues. I can't deal with the frustration and the fact that the characters remain quiet about the whole situation. It is pretty evident! The title, by the way, has nothing to do with the plot and the author leaves us to guess.... I can't relate it with any ...more
D.L.
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Having fumbled blindly through some of Joyce's more challenging work I can say only one thing certainly, he does not choose words randomly and without care. For me 'simony' and 'gnomon' are roadsigns of a sort. Maybe even just as some subtle and perverse caricature of the relationship implied between the young man and the priest. I have other theories. But that's what I loved about this story. I like having to labor through subtext and having a wide field for interpretive thought.
Michael Kress
Jul 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 1900-1919
The cool thing about short-story collections is that it gives the reader a chance to check out an author without having to make a big commitment. Also, it can help you decide if you want to read any of the author's full-length novels. When I read 20th Century Ghosts, a collection of short-stories by Joe Hill, I loved it so much that I knew I was going to have to read all of his novels. However, after I read some of Ernest Hemingway's short stories, I decided that his full-length novels were prob ...more
Marts  (Thinker)
Apr 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
Two sisters Eliza and Nannie recall the death of thier brother Father Flynn who apparently broke a chalice an act which affected him mentally and ultimately led to his death. The story begins with recollections by a boy the initial narrator who spent quite a lot of time with Father Flynn whilst growing up.
Sylvia Snow
Aug 25, 2014 rated it did not like it
Ho preso sonno leggendo questa short story. Tanto di cappello a James Joyce perché il suo stile è impeccabile, ma la storia lascia molto a desiderare. Questo anche se, effettivamente, non avendo di per sè azioni di particolare rilievo, è un racconto fatto apposta per indurre alla riflessione.
Non è il mio genere, I give up.
Logan LeDuc
Nov 03, 2015 rated it liked it
A writing style that I'm not familiar with makes stories like this difficult to fall in love with. But the tone of the story still came through and I still felt a connection with the characters by the end.
Gabriel
Jan 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Paralysis.
I always appreciate a fine derision of the Church and of its debilitating knack.
Jon
I often have the feeling when experiencing sparse modernist work like this that the artist, rather than being purposefully ambiguous for greater impact, is being purposefully obtuse in an attempt to obscure the fact that the story is rather threadbare and create a facade of more depth than actually exists. I couldn't shake that feeling while reading this despite Joyce's reputation as a literary Titan.

Don't get me wrong; it's beautifully atmospheric work by Joyce despite the fact that it leaves t
Lama Abu Hamed
This is absolutely genius. By far my favorite short story from Dubliners.

I have always wondered as to why this book was denied of publication for so many years. Joyce finalized it when he was 22 yet it didn’t get published till a couple years later. Well, now I know why..!

The sisters’ truly daring themes of caricaturing priesthood and the not-so-subtle hints of a possible sexual assault of a little boy practiced by a priest definitely had something to do with the constant rejection of publicati
Darinda
Read in Dubliners.

After overhearing two sisters talk about their deceased brother, a boy learns his mentor, the brother, may have had mental issues that led to his death.
Alex Van Tuinen
This story felt very vague and fiddled about a lot, not a whole lot happens and due to it being told in first person it is at times somewhat hard to follow.

I was also somewhat confused what the title actually did for the story. Nevertheless this one might be worth a reread at some point.
Jesper Braak
May 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Again very well written.

But still a very weird story to me. Personally it feels like i'm missing 10 pages to conclude the plot of this story.
Melissa
I don't really know what to think of this short story other than it was way too short. Don't think I quite understand it yet...
K. Anna Kraft
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
I have arranged my thoughts on this short story into a haiku:

"A young listener,
Piecing together comments
Like cool, broken shards."
David Deutsch
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
not a very memorable story.
Wesley Yarbrough
I read "The Sisters", and I liked that short story. I thought it was interesting how he talked about the Roman Catholic church and its flaws.
Hans
Mar 31, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Nothing all that memorable about this except that if one grew up catholic they might be able to appreciate it more.
Rachna Priyanka