Start by marking “The Other Side of Dawn (Tomorrow, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Other Side of Dawn (Tomorrow, #7)

The Other Side of Dawn

(Tomorrow #7)

Since their home was invaded by enemy soldiers and transformed into a war zone, Ellie and her friends have been fighting for their lives. Now a resolution may finally be in sight. But as enemy forces close in on her hideout, Ellie discovers that the final conflict just may be the most dangerous yet. And not everyone will survive. Nobody is safe in this exhilarating conclus ...more
Published February 1st 2007 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side of Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side of Dawn

Start your review of The Other Side of Dawn (Tomorrow, #7)
Ryan Buckby
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the 7th and final book in the tomorrow series and i think john marsden did an excellent job with the whole series, the storyline and characters are both of things i loved from this story!

I wish it was more popular because this book is one of the best ones to come from an australian writer that i know of!

there are so many twist and turns, heart-stopping moments! but also has its light moments. this would have to go as one of my favourite book series of all time!

'This is it -- the final
Nemo (The Moonlight Library)
This review was originally posted on The Moonlight Library

The final book in the Tomorrow When the War Began series starts with a bang as the New Zealanders fly in a bomb expert to load up the kids and prepare them for D-Day.

(view spoiler)
Amy Norris
May 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last book in this series was suitably dark. Although the ending didn’t blow me away, it was fitting. Overall the series is definitely worth picking up, a quintessential Aussie read.
Natalie
Jun 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Summary/recap: (view spoiler) ...more
K.
Plot summary: It's been over a year since Ellie and her friends left on the camping trip that would ultimately save them from captivity in the war, but throwing them into the depths of guerilla warfare. In this, the final installment, they must fight like never before. The war is drawing to a lose, and with the delivery of a quantity of plastic explosives from the New Zealand armed forces, they're out to do what damage they can.

Thoughts: This is the conclusion to the series that dominated my te
Cherie
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
There were times that I did not want this last book to be done, but too many times, I could not bear all of the horror of the kids fighting the enemy soldiers and all of the hardships they were experiencing.

What Ellie and her friends and all they went through, can never be appreciated nor understood, except by someone who has lived through what they did. It was a masterful accounting and I am so glad I stumbled across this series.

The wrap was well done.
Ellie said "I know I won't live happily ev
Rjmiller
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Leah (Jane Speare)
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a first...I've read this entire seven-book series all in one year. It's the longest series I've stuck to, besides Max Ride and Harry Potter. And it's just as worthy and awesome! I wish it didn't have to end.

These books have been a great cure to "so many books, what should I pick up for a relaxing read in between?" Now that may sound weird considering these are war books and not a bit relaxing, but over the past year, I've become so attached to Ellie and her friends, reading the next on
Nairabell
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's been a little over a year since Ellie and her friends returned from their camping trip in Hell to find their country had been invaded and their families captured. The original group of eight has been reduced to five, and they've gained a group of rescued orphans. Now the New Zealand troops are preparing their final assault, and Ellie and her friends are about to be called into action for one final time.

This is the seventh and final book in the incredible Tomorrow series (after Tomorrow Whe
Boots
So this is the seventh and final book in the Tomorrow series by John Marsden. To be honest I'm surprised this series isn't more popular than it is. It has everything it needs to be a huge hit, although I have to admit that it is missing vampires, thankfully.

This entire series was written in the first person by a female protagonist named Ellie. Her character developed well throughout the series but when it comes right down to it I didn't particularly like her. In fact she was my least favorite pa
Rebecca
Apr 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aussie-ya
I have mixed feelings about the final book. It was action-packed, which I should have loved, but I just didn't feel invested. I didn't like how Ellie got split up from the others for half the book. Looking back, I think that's why it felt so weird to read and where it fell flat for me. This series is what it is because of the gang and how they work as a team. It's not to say I don't love Ellie because I do, but it's pretty much always been them all together, never just Ellie on her own. Consider ...more
Amanda
Finished!

I don't think I will review each book, or even the series, as I took no notes but I might put something together soon.

This is a pretty good series, plenty of action and suspense, great characters, and a thought-provoking plot.

I do think 7 books was probably 2-3 books too many. Ellie has a story related to everything that happens so a lot of the book is taken up by her just talking about stuff. But overall I really enjoyed this series.
Libby
Mar 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing end to the series,particularly in the realistic portrayal of how life can't go back to how it was before the war. My only criticism is that some of the close-knit friendships and relationships got cut off too quickly, which may be realistic but was still disappointing. I definitely need to track down the three books in the Ellie Chronicles to read, too.
Katie Scott
May 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018-audio-books
Kerrie Paterson
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I have The Ellie Chronicles ready to go on to, because I'm reluctant to leave this world. The series was wrapped up well with action and emotion, plus a healthy dose of realism of the struggles of "after the war."
Michelle
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary
I'm making this a bit of an overall review of the series, as I find it hard to separately review books that form a continuous story the way these do, so this review will probably be a general overview of how I felt about them.

I've been wanting to re-read this series for a while, because I remember being obsessed with the books as a kid--I must've read them two or three times within a few years. About a decade later, I still think they're fantastic. They're action-packed, but not devoid of intros
Mr.G
Jun 28, 2010 rated it liked it
This is the seventh and final book of John Marsden's "Tomorrow When the War Began" series. Basically eight Australian teens go camping in the outback for a week and when they return, they discover that Australia has been invaded and subjugated by a foreign power and their parents have been locked away in detention camps. Throughout the series, the teens embark on a steadily increasing campaign of sabotage, resistance, and guerrilla war. The seventh book concluded the series pretty well. Without ...more
Rebecca
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
(view spoiler) ...more
Sally
Oh wow, this book. This series! Finally I've made up for all that lost time and I am so glad I did, instead of just staying with my first, twelve-year-old impression of "too scary" and then "too scary AND too many books." Seven sounds like a lot, but at only 330 pages this last one was the longest of the bunch. They're very quick reads!

I've actually forgotten a lot of the first half already, because the second half dominated SO much. (view spoiler)
William Ristau
Oct 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
The group attacks a service station frequented by enemy convoys and are separated in the aftermath. Ellie is shot in the leg and taken prisoner. While interned she discovers the location of her mother and father. She escapes, and is reunited with her mother whom she stays with until news breaks that the war is over – Australia signed a peace treaty with the occupying power, resulting in the formation of a new nation on the continent for the invading forces and settlers. It transpires that Wirraw ...more
Carole
Aug 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the awesome conclusion to a seven-book series and the best. The violence in these books is intense--there are seven kids fighting on their own against the invaders of their country--and sometimes the descriptions of not only what happens, but how they react to it, physically, spiritually, and emotionally is hard to read, but very real and honest. The action is almost non-stop. When I started one of these books, I couldn't put it down. There are breaks to take a breath as Ellie describes ...more
Jen (Jen & Mel's Book Nook)
This was such a great end to a fantastic series. While I may not have liked everything about it, overall this series was absolutely amazing. The books were incredibly fast-paced, action packed and so believable.

(view spoiler)
camilla
Dec 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
No!!! It's over! So sad to leave this series, even though every book was very taxing. How can books about war not be stressful? I loved every minute of Ellie and her friend's guerilla war. Marsden is masterful at weighing the moral responsibility of war, especially of teens taking the war into their own hands. I really feel the weight of Ellie's sorrow at taking lives, and her rage at the intruders that have stolen the lives of her friends. I really didn't want to leave the war, but it had to en ...more
Leighton
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Ok, I've finished the series and I would give it a clear 4.5 to 5 stars. Loved it, takes "Red Dawn" to a new level!!! The setting is great, the pace is fast enough to keep me hooked in, the characters are great. I loved it, in fact it's depressing to have finished :-(

Oh and keep away from the film, it doesn't do it justice!!! They should have made it in to a TV series.

How I review...
1 star - binned it before half way, please don't write anymore!!!
2 stars - finally binned it after really trying,
Susie
Jun 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great conclusion to a great series! I sped through this series in half the month of June (partly because I'm on a free Kindleunlimited trial, partly I need more to do during the summer) and loved it. Some (dare I say many) of the books on KU don't seem worth the read but the Tomorrow series is not one of them.
I would definitely recommend to friends. The characters are relatable and their actions are not without consequences (I've never been in a war so I have no idea if these are reasonable con
Symone
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifi, young-adult
The conclusion of the Tomorrow series, is just as entertaining as it was in the beginning. The whole gang have been through the most trialling time of their lives and the first time you read it the ending might feel bitter sweet but i think it captures what happens in real wartime perfectly. Things have changed that can not be undone and to have all the characters resolved perfectly would undermine the journey they have taken.
C.
I think this series is a whole lot better than I gave it credit for before I reread it, but it could do with being a couple of books shorter. The transition from the third to the fourth book (where there was obviously a place left for the possibility of ending the series) was convincing, but there were so many parts both before and after that which just felt gratuitous.
Sara
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Oh no! The series is over. I'm sad there will be no more adventures of Ellie and her friends during the war. This last one was great, though. Lots of action, still, and prison camp and infamy and a (kind of) satisfying conclusion. My library doesn't have the Ellie Chronicles, so I'll have to find them elsewhere, but be assured that I will. There's got to be more to the story.
Michael McEvoy
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
A good end to a gripping series. Like the 6th book it started off strongly. About halfway through, one unexpected line changed everything. I couldnt believe my eyes, and I was depressed when I went to bed that night! Alas, the last line was absolutely terrible. Still, I will definitely be starting the next series soon!
Brad Mathieson
Dec 01, 2012 rated it really liked it

I'm so glad that I've finally read and finished this series. It gave me everything I had expected. It's interesting how enthralled I became in the characters, I guess mostly Ellie, but I found myself really concerned about the entire group. My main qualm with the final book of the series is the epilogue. If only I hadn't read the final epilogue I would be so much happier.

• Looking for Alibrandi
  • Jillaroo (Jillaroo, #1)
  • Tandia (The Power of One, #2)
  • Now
  • Prosper's Demon
  • What the Fat?: Fat's IN: Sugar's OUT Practical guide and recipes
  • Deltora Quest (Deltora Quest, #1-8)
  • Come Again
  • The Girl with the Louding Voice
  • Beyond Reasonable Doubt (Elliot Rook, QC #1)
  • Skulduggery 2: Building a Criminal Empire
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Evil Penguin Plan
  • I'm a Kid! Get Me Out of Here! (Body Swap #2)
  • American Girl Surviving Saturn (Saturn, #3)
  • Skulduggery 3: Building a Criminal Empire
  • Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality
  • Riptides
  • Off Plan (Whispering Key, #1)
There is more than one author with this name in the database, see f.e. John Marsden

His first book, So Much To Tell You, was published in 1987. This was followed by Take My Word For It, a half-sequel written from the point of view of another character. His landmark Tomorrow series is recognized as the most popular book series for young adults ever written in Australia. The first book of this series

Tomorrow (7 books)
  • Tomorrow, When the War Began (Tomorrow, #1)
  • The Dead of Night (Tomorrow, #2)
  • A Killing Frost (Tomorrow, #3)
  • Darkness, Be My Friend (Tomorrow, #4)
  • Burning For Revenge (Tomorrow, #5)
  • The Night Is for Hunting (Tomorrow, #6)