Start by marking “Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)” as Want to Read:
Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)

Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don't)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  2,656 Ratings  ·  386 Reviews
With the help of Miss Brooks, Missy’s classmates all find books they love in the library—books about fairies and dogs and trains and cowboys. But Missy dismisses them all—“Too flowery, too furry, too clickety, too yippity.”

Still, Miss Brooks remains undaunted. Book Week is here and Missy will find a book to love if they have to empty the entire library. What story will fin
Published March 9th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published May 24th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Miss Brooks Loves Books, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Miss Brooks Loves Books

Lisa Vegan
Mar 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: reluctant readers, and avid readers too, especially first graders; children’s librarians
Recommended to Lisa by: CLM
I loved and was touched by this book about a very, very reluctant reader and an incredibly enthusiastic school librarian who uses everything from costumes to book week to make reading fun for the school children. I chuckled on almost every page; it’s a very funny book. There are too many amusing lines (in this very short book) for me to give just an example or two.

I’d have enjoyed this book even more if the book Missy finally chose to appreciate was one I liked better, and if the other books th
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i LOVE this book! mainly because the illustrations are so awesome! i think i've read it four times since i discovered it in my Random House kit box yesterday. i kinda want to be Miss Brooks.

also i love it that the girls aren't all wearing pink and skirts: Miss Brooks is this outrageous looking Miss-Frizzle-esque crazy haired hippie in costumes, the mom's this slouchy-comfy-looking painter, and the main character is really into warts and ogres. the only thing that would make it more awesome would
Kathryn
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like a total spoil-sport for dithering between three and four stars on this one since it seems like everyone else on the GoodReads planet absolutely loved it. I think it's a wonderful concept: a (very!) reluctant reader paired with a super-enthusiastic (to the point of dressing up in costumes of her favorite characters!) librarian who manages to find a way for the kid to see something to love in books. I think the writing just didn't really grab me and there were so many allusions to othe ...more
Sena
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audience: Primary
Genre: Fiction Picture Book
Pre-reading Strategy:
PLAN (Predict/Locate/Add/Note) is a strategy of note-taking that helps students to summarize their reading. Using this strategy with this book, model the steps and provide example. I chose this strategy for Miss Brooks Loves Books! because I felt it would be an easy introduction to this method. The story is very straightforward, yet there is some great vocabulary, and the premise is something students can relate to (whether it's to
Brenda
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Librarians often say that you have to find the right book for the right person at the right time. This book is a perfect illustration of that saying.

Miss Brooks is an enthusiastic librarian who just LOVES books and is in the habit of dressing up in costumes related to the books she reads aloud. And all year long Miss Brooks reads book about dragons and Pilgrims and presidents and love and leprechauns and even groundhogs! Our protagonist finds this most vexing.

However, when Book Week comes along
Kathleen Ferrel
This was a cute story about an elementary aged girl who insists she doesn't like books. Her librarian, Miss Brooks, tries every different way to entice her into being a book lover like she is. One day the little girls mother gives her a great idea for a type of book she would be interested in. It is all about finding the right book for the right person. The pictures in the story are very entertaining and the illustrations are able to grasp the personalities of each character very well.

An audien
Miss Brooks, who might be a wee bit crazy, loves reading books and wearing character costumes. Missy, a curmudgeonly first grader, does not love reading or books nearly as much as the ever enthusiastic Miss Brooks. At the end of the year, all of the kids have to present a book and dress up as a character. Missy refuses everything she finds, pronouncing her classmates projects, "Too flowery. Too furry. Too clickety. Too yippity." Finally, Missy discovers William Steig's Shrek and falls in love wi ...more
Katie
Jul 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Audience: Primary
Genre: Realistic Fiction

Pre-Reading Strategy:
I would use a word wall for this book. There are five vocabulary words in the book that I would want students to understand the meaning of before I read it to the class as a whole. This would be part of their vocabulary.
I would write the words on an index card and ask students if they know the meaning of the word first and then ask what part of speech the word is. Then I would write the meaning of the word on the card and post it on t
Cheri
SO GREAT.

I'm getting this one for my own collection.

It's not just that Miss Brooks looks just like me, either. Nor is it that I want to dress like her.

This book is about a kid discovering the library. It is about a girl who doesn't think she likes books, which challenges her librarian to find her one that will catch her attention. The diverse array of people in this book is delightful, and I enjoyed every minute. We'll see if the first graders like it as much as I do--I am, after all, their craz
Katie Fitzgerald
A little girl doesn’t believe there is a book in the world she could enjoy reading, but Miss Brooks, her school librarian, is determined to find one. What won me over was the fact that the narrator wasn’t into princesses or fairies or any of the other stereotypical “girly girl” things, but that her topic of choice turns out to be warts. A perfect reinforcement of the idea that the library really does have something for everyone, no matter who you are.
Alicia
Jun 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audience: K-2 grade students, reluctant readers, school and public librarians.

Appeal: Reluctant readers can identify with the main character about not liking to read. Librarians can use this as an example on how to help a student/patron find a book that fits them.

(Golden Sower Nominee 2012-2013)
Kristen
First of all, ginormous thank-you's to Michael Emberley for drawing such a cool, hip librarian! And thank you to Barbara Bottner for showing the truth - some kids don't fall in love with books right away, but even tough sells "can find something funny and fantastic and appalling in the library." Amen! My new fave to share with library tours!
Gianni Llano
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recommend this book be read to those children who believe they do not enjoy reading. The story does a nice job of illustrating how it is possible to find the right book.
Donalyn
A fun book about the importance of finding the right book for the right child at the right time. A wonderful resource for librarians and teachers.
Mar 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
The perfect book is out there. You just have to keep looking. Wonderful characters and fun illustrations.
Lenna
Children's librarians always know...there's a book for everyone!
Laurie
May 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emily Sims
Summary: This is a book all about reading. It is specifically about a little girl who does not like to read and is adamant she will never find a book she will enjoy. In her class, her teacher assigns a book week. All students are told to pic k a book ad then dress up as the character in the book and tell the rest of the class about it. The little girl hears all her classmates reviews yet still is uninterested. She finally hears the word warts and found her interest in the book Shrek!

Evaluation:
Elizabeth
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miss Brooks Loves Books (And I Don’t) c) 2010 by Barbara Bottner; illustrated by Michael Emberley
Miss Brooks, the school librarian is really into books and promoting them. She loves costumes and puppets and reading. The little girl telling the story is just the opposite. When Book Week comes along in May, the little girl is given the assignment of choosing a book to “bring to life”. After several fails, and her mom calling her a “wart”, she finds the perfect fit for her. She shares the book Shre
Jenna Pennington
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-230
I had a friend recommend this book to me, she said it was really good and cute. I have to say I agree. I think this book has a great story especially for kids who do not like to read. I know there are several kids who feel the same way about reading like the character in the book and I know I was one of the kids when I was in school. I think this book is great for encouraging students to read and letting students realize that there are books out there for everyone you just have to find them. The ...more
Katie
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan!

A story of an enthusiastic librarian and her spoilsport student who doesn't like any book she's tried.
With the librarians persistence, and some tough love from her mother, they find a topic to get excited about.
Very relatable and sweet. What a cool librarian and what an excellent challenge she had.

The illustrations make the story even better. The story takes on a comforting feel from the older style and the average looking characters. I love the mom with her short hair and comfy
Stefanie Burns
Cute story about a little girl who does not like books as much as her librarian. During Book Week each child is supposed to pick their favorite book and dress up like a character and share the story with the class. The main character can't find any book she likes, until finally she finds one that has warts: Shrek. Good story for those who have trouble finding a book they like. This is good for the younger kids and Mrs. Malarky (have to check the spelling) is good for the older ones.
Heather
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Brooks Loves Books! (and I don’t) by Barbara Bottner and illustrated by Michael Emberley tells the story of a young girl who doesn’t like books, or so she thinks, until she find just the right book for her to love. The colorful pen and ink and watercolor is drawn in a cartoon style that is fun and lively. This book would be excellent for young and middle grade children especially if they, like the protagonist, haven’t found the right book for themselves.
Taylor Finnell
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Miss Brooks Loves Books! (And I Don't) is an excellent read. (view spoiler) This story truly shows that anyone can find a love for reading with the right book in hand.

I think that this book has a great message for young readers. Michael Emberley did an incredible job with the illustrations in this book as well. They're fantastic! I had to laugh at a couple because they were so funny and cute. Overall I think this book is great, and I will definitely keep a copy in my classroom.
Maria Waltner
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My philosophy, "if you don't like reading it's because you aren't reading the right books" seems to be echoed in this story. The main character is rather androgynous and doesn't have a name but is a tough sell on books that most kids like. But a book to love is finally found once again proving that in the world of books there is something for everyone.
Arwen
Jul 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My all time favorite kids book! It a book about reading and books and finding a book that will help you love to read. The illustrations are great and the story fabulous. My favorite line is when the little girls want to move to another town to avoid doing the book week assignment, her mom says, "There are librarians in every town."
Deanna
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It shows students that you may think you don't like reading, but maybe you just haven't found the perfect book yet.
Emyrose8
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute! Also, I am Miss Brooks, minus the costumes.
Lisa
Aug 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
librarian is passionate about her job
Ms. Jeane
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love this book! I swear I'm Miss Brooks!
  • That Book Woman
  • Library Lil
  • Wild About Books
  • Clever Jack Takes the Cake
  • Otto the Book Bear
  • Library Mouse (Library Mouse #1)
  • Lola Loves Stories
  • The Boss Baby
  • City Dog, Country Frog
  • Ugly Pie
Barbara Bottner, New York Times best-selling author, is a screenwriter, TV writer, and writing coach, who began her multi-hyphenate career as an artist and actor. Designing off-Broadway sets in the ’60s led her to performance and following her career in theatre, she began writing and illustrating books for children. In total, she has written over 40 books in all areas of children’s literature incl ...more
More about Barbara Bottner...