Jump to ratings and reviews

Flaherty's Crossing

Successful yet emotionally stifled artist Kate Flaherty stands at the deathbed of her estranged father, conflicted by his morphine-induced confession exposing his part in her mother's death.

While racing home, Kate's car mishap leads her to a soul-searching discussion with a lone diner employee, prompting Kate to confront the true reasons her marriage hangs in the balance.

235 pages, Paperback

First published February 1, 2010

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kaylin McFarren

9 books673 followers
Kaylin McFarren has received more than 60 national literary awards, in addition to a prestigious RWA Golden Heart Award nomination for FLAHERTY'S CROSSING - a book she and her oldest daughter, New York Times/USA Today best-selling author Kristina McMorris, co-wrote in 2008. Prior to embarking on her writing journey and developing the popular THREADS psychological thriller series, she poured her passion for creativity into her work as the director of a fine art gallery in the Pearl District in Portland, Oregon; she also served as a governor-appointed member of the Oregon Arts Commission.

When she’s not traveling or spoiling her two pups and three grandsons, she enjoys giving back to her community through participation and support of various charitable, medical and educational organizations in the Pacific Northwest. Her award-winning time-travel adventure, HIGH FLYING, asks challenging questions that will linger long after the final twists are revealed. Jumping to the supernatural-horror genre, Kaylin's clever GEHENNA series takes readers into the pit of Hell, through the mechanisms of secret societies, and across the Earth’s crust, ever raising the stakes for her soulmate duo—a roguish demon and guardian angel presented with mind-boggling revelations.

With each story she writes, this author delivers unexpected twists and turns and keeps her readers on the edge of their seats, leaving them guessing and thoroughly entertained.

FUN TIDBITS

Kaylin is proud of the fact that her great aunt Bessie B. Cordell, an evangelistic missionary during WWII, was instrumental in opening an orphanage in Tientsin, China and also wrote two published novels, Precious Pearl and Blossoms of the Flowery Kingdom, documenting her dangerous, harrowing experiences.

She keeps a glass of wine close by while writing love scenes, Kleenex on her desk while writing heart breakers, and has been known to empty a box of chocolates when she's completely stumped.

A consummate "pantser" and perfectionist, she writes and edits as she goes, and uses photographs of models and actors from tabloid magazines to visualize her characters.

She loves her husband of 48 years dearly, however, if Josh Holloway, Hugh Jackman or Ian Somerhalder came knockin', well... their marriage just might be put to the test.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
5 (4%)
1 star
2 (1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 50 reviews
Profile Image for Quinn Barrett.
Author 3 books187 followers
December 15, 2012
Flaherty's Crossing is a good book about love, family, marriage and dealing with the loss of loved ones no matter how estranged. Author Kaylin McFerrin is an excellent writer and storyteller with tremendous descriptive abilities.

Kate and Drew are a married couple with successful careers who, not surprisingly, have drifted apart. Kate is an artist busy with painting and gallery exhibits. Drew is an up and coming attorney who is tempted to find comfort in the arms of another women if Kate doesn't comply with his ultimatum to start a family of their own.

Her hesitancy towards parenthood lies in her own dysfunctional upbringing. Kate's mother was killed by a drunk driver after fleeing their family home because of an argument with Kate's father. Not only did Kate lose her mother, but her father became withdrawn and literally distant, preferring to spend his time on the road as a truck driver. Because of her father's chronic absence, Kate is raised by her Aunt Sophie who becomes Kate's closest family relation.

The novel begins with a powerful shift in relationship as Kate is confronted with the reality of her father's imminent death. He is in the final stages of his losing battle with cancer after years of chemo therapy. Kate learns more about her father in death then she ever did while he was alive. Ironically, his hospice caregiver knows more about Kate's father than his own daughter. His nurse is kind and becomes instrumental in also easing Kate's pain to eventually enable her to discover the paper trail which enlightens her understanding of past familial events. Her new found awareness, although shocking, is exactly the information Kate needs to finally begin to resolve all lingering emotional conflicts with the father she barely knew.

Flaherty's Crossing focuses on two primary relationships: Kate's strained relationship with her husband, Drew, and Kate's father’s relationship with her mother. In a word, this book is about marriage. The dynamic of each relationship parallels each other as many marital relationships often do. The title Flaherty's Crossing is apropos. As Kate's father reaches the final stages of his own passing, Kate is at a crossroads of her own, which is choosing the life or death of her own marriage.

Once Kate receives word that her father is near the end, she drops everything to be by his side despite their mutual lack of warmth and closeness to one another. In her haste to go to her father, Kate leaves a rushed voice mail message which her husband fails to retrieve and listen to till much later. Drew assumes the worst about their own problematic relationship, but all of his reservations are quickly cast aside once he discovers his own wife is in need and rushes to find and rescue her physically and emotionally.

Family-driven novels such as Flaherty's Crossing may not be the most original form of dramatic fiction, but the author manages to hit on all the important notes. Marriage and family dynamics are difficult under the best of circumstances, but unions such as these are the binds that connect us. The author does a nice job of depicting these complex relationships without falling into the trap of creating trite, conventional characters.

McFerrin also manages to throw in a few twists for good measure, giving the story some compelling suspenseful moments. There is also a suggestion of a quasi-paranormal event which is left for the reader's mind and imagination to interpret as they like. We didn't find it necessary to add these other off-genre devices, as the story can stand on its own. Without these curve balls, which distracted a bit from the real importance of Flaherty's Crossing, it was a terrific story about marriage, family, unconditional love, forgiveness, healing, and resolution.

This book was reviewed as part of the Wise Bear Digital Book Awards competition. Entry fees associated with the contest are administrative in nature and do not influence our honest, unbiased book reviews.
Profile Image for Linda.
2,941 reviews2 followers
February 6, 2011
Kate Flaherty Was angry At The Father Who Withheld His Love When Her Mother Died In A Car Accident, Killed By A Drunk Driver. Colin Flaherty Stayed On The Road Driving A Semi-Truck While Her Aunt Sophie Raised Her. She Had Received A Call From A Hospice Volunteer That His Cancer Had Spread And He Only Had A Short Time To Live. She Was Angry That He Stopped His Treatments Without Choosing To Discuss It With Her And Without Thinking She Forgot To Leave Drew A Note, Not That He Would Care As They Had Argued Before He Left For Chicago From Their Washington State Home. Drew Gave Every Excuse In The World From Joining Her When Her Art Was Exhibited, Always Missing Her Achievements And Their Marriage Was Strained. Once At Her Father's Log Cabin She Was Fully Prepared To Rant At The Old Stubborn Man, But One Look At The Shell Of The Man Who Had Once Been So Robust And Full Of Life Her Heart Clenched And She Could Not Speak The Words She Longed To Say Stuck In Her Throat. From The Time Her Mother Died She Craved Her Dad's Approval That Never Came No Matter How Hard She Tried, And Now As An Adult She Learned To Closet Herself And Not Give Control To Anyone. Her Dad Was Fading And Doris Asked Her To Stay The Night To Spend As Much Time With Her Dad But She Had Not Thought To Bring Clothes And Was Not Sure If She Could Keep A Calming Face To Talk With Her Dad, He Was On Morphine And Thought She Was Her Mom. So She Promised To Return The Next Morning But As She Traveled The Three Hours Home, A Detour Caused Her To Travel On A Less Traveled Road And A Deer Stood Frozen By Her Head Lights And She Lost Control And Went Over A Cliff........................

Drew Coleman Hated To Issue His Wife An Ultimatum But He Knew They Could No Longer Act Like Roommates. Kate Spent So Much Time In Her Studio That He Wondered If She Avoided Him. To Be Honest He Preferred The Stuffy Parties Of His Dad's Law Firm, Now His Since The Elder Coleman Had A Heart Attack Than Her Art Exhibits Standing Around With Freaks Who Talked A Language He Did Not Understand. He Caught An Early Fight And Was Disgusted That She Would Not Stay When He Told Her They Really Needed To Talk About Their Future. He Repacked Fresh Clothes And Went To Crash At His Friend's Apartment To Think But He Left His Cell In The Car Thinking His Office Left A Message But Was Unprepared To Hear His Wife's Terrified Scream...........

Ms. McFerren Pens A Thrilling Story Filled With Dark Secrets, Misunderstandings,And Jealousy. Both Drew And Kate Sought Acceptance From Their Fathers That Never Came And It Was Only When Drew Thought He Lost Kate Did He Realized He Still Loved Her And That He Needed To Recaptured What They Once Had. Kate Thought A Stalker Was After Her And Refused To Let Drew Know While Drew Kept A Secret From Kate.
Profile Image for Melissa at My Chaotic Ramblings.
337 reviews23 followers
May 23, 2010
I am a sucker for books about love and forgiveness. When I was sent a copy of this book, I fell in love with the cover. I wasn't expecting what I got when I started reading. The main character Kate, was someone that I can identify with on certain levels. I never forgave my father for all the things he done wrong and most of my relationships have suffered for it.
From the moment Kate has her accident until the end of the book, I couldn't put it down. I laughed, I cried and I was terrified right along with Kate.
My favorite part was towards the end of the book:
" She sighed. "I guess we've covered just about everything, haven't we, Daddy? For now, anyway." She kissed the floral stem and laid it across the middle of the coffin. She took a few steps back, the words from her dream crystallized in her mind: Love, Faith, Forgiveness. The stained-glass elements now shining in her life. Elements once forgotten, but always there under the surface, awaiting the chance to bring her parents back together again."
Kate feels that her father never loved her enough to stay around after her mother died, and soon finds out the real reason and just how he truly felt.

If you love a book about finding yourself and the love and forgiveness in you then please run out and pick up this book when it becomes available in print!!

I was sent a copy of this book for review, I was not required to write a positive review and the opinion expressed here is just that, my opinion:)
Profile Image for Whit.
2,903 reviews31 followers
July 17, 2017
Wow! It has taken me a year to finish this beautiful story about trust; love; family; abandonment; and forgiveness. Last year a beloved family member lost his battle with cancer, two months before I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway. I read the first few pages as Kate looked down at her father on his death bed and I knew it was too soon, for me, to tackle this topic. Now I am so glad I waited. There are so many beautiful layers within these pages: Kate's anger at her father's rejection; her anger at her husband's alleged adultery and her disgust with her surrogate mother's alleged betrayal. I say beautiful layers because Kate had to face what we all do- that things are not always what they appear to be. Lots of surprises in this beautiful and heart-tugging story. I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Copy of this book (Goodreads Winner). Thank you.
Profile Image for Gina Harper.
45 reviews5 followers
September 14, 2010
Kate Flaherty stands at the deathbed of her estranged father....but when the night takes an unexpected turn, Kate is forced to look into herself for the true reasons her marriage is failing, desperate for the faith that can only be found in forgiveness.

This book was given to me by a friend (Thanks Jaclyn!) I would have never read it hadn't "found me". I am so glad it did. This book drew me in from the beginning and kept me emotionally invested in the characters till the very last page. It may be because I felt a kinship with Kate, but the story made me take a look into my self and the forgiveness I was withholding, and why...

Make sure you have a free night and a box of kleenex handy and enjoy Kate's emotional journey as she learns to trust again through faith and forgiveness.
Profile Image for Shey Saints.
Author 2 books33 followers
April 22, 2022
Summary

Flaherty’s Crossing is a contemporary romance and family drama by Kaylin McFarren. The story revolves around Kate Flaherty, a successful yet emotionally stifled artist. Her husband Drew, a powerful attorney, leaves an alarming voicemail as a result of their shaky marriage. Before even figuring out what to do about it, the hospice calls to let her know of her father’s deathbed. Just as she’s about to leave her husband a message, she crashes her car in the middle of nowhere.

Review

I can’t believe this is Kaylin McFarren’s debut novel! I can understand why it has received literary awards. I myself was touched by this book’s strong ability to bring back the emotions I had before and after my papa died. Out of all the other books I’ve read by Kaylin, this one almost made me cry. The story felt so real and, in many ways, I can relate with the characters. This is possibly the only book that is hard to review because it reminds me about a lot of things in my past and it makes me emotional. Nevertheless, I’m just glad that the story ended well.

Overall, I’m giving this book 5 out of 5 stars. It imparted life lessons and pulled me into a myriad of emotions that I thought I had forgotten already. This book has a beautifully written narrative, well-developed and relatable characters, and many touching dialogues. I highly recommend this book to readers who want a story about love and forgiveness.
Profile Image for Marian Alvarez.
10 reviews1 follower
January 17, 2023
This is possibly the most relatable book by Kaylin McFarren and I can't believe it's her debut novel! I guess I read her books backwards. There are so many topics in the story that a lot of people will be able to relate with. Topics like marital issues, loss in the family, family issues. It's enlightening to find out how differently we all deal with the sad events in our life. I would definitely recommend this book to readers who are into drama and romance.
Profile Image for Blake Lee.
10 reviews1 follower
January 17, 2023
I can't blame how Kate is hesitant to have her own kid. She didn't have a normal upbringing and her experiences in the past are making her scared of parenthood. Women who have been abandoned as a child or even as a young adult can best relate with Kate's character in the story. Overall, I've had an emotional yet enlightening experience in reading this story and I recommend this beautifully written book to readers who love contemporary romance.
11 reviews1 follower
January 17, 2023
Saw Kaylin's profile and was surprised to see her receiving so many literary awards and now I understand. For a debut novel, this book brought what her seniors in the lit business can deliver - compelling storyline, character development, impressive dialogues, and a well-depicted setting that would bring a reader into Kate Flaherty's world of love and loss, healing and forgiveness. Highly recommended.
2 reviews1 follower
January 18, 2023
This was a painful yet inspiring read that I think a lot of women can resonate with. The main focus of the story is Kate having to deal with the two men in her life - her husband and her father. This book opened a myriad of emotions, and I was broken, enlightened, healed, and inspired while reading this book. Overall, this family-driven story was well depicted and beautifully written by Kaylin whom I just discovered. Can't wait to read the rest of her books!
2 reviews1 follower
January 18, 2023
The fact that a caregiver would know more about Kate's father than she ever did was painful to read, but I love his nurse's significance in the story because she was instrumental in Kate's healing. I didn't expect this book to be heavy on drama, but I liked the complexities in Kate's life and the people around her. It's indicative of how reality truly is. That there's never a simple life for anyone. Everyone deals with hardships - marriage issues, family issues, grief, etc.
Profile Image for Adrienne Lewis.
23 reviews3 followers
February 28, 2017
Flaherty’s Crossing by Kaylin McFarren is a fascinating mix of romance and mystery, with a plot that will keep the reader guessing throughout the book. This fictional story starts off with Kate Flaherty at her dying father’s bedside, and the story that follows is one of Kate dealing with her guilt over not knowing her father better.

Kate experiences what could be her father’s last moments on earth, and she tries to come to a place where she can let go of her father without the past coloring things. After promising to return the next day, she believes she will have the chance to reconcile her differences with her father at that time.

With her marriage on shaky ground, Kate experiences a night unlike any other after being forced to take a detour on her way home. The experience both comforts her and creeps her out, as she catches herself sharing too much with a stranger. The stranger makes her feel both comfortable and on edge.

While Kate is sharing private information with a stranger named Mick, her husband, Drew, is contemplating moving out. He’s taken refuge at a friend’s house, and while Kate goes through a harrowing evening, Drew is stewing at his friend’s bachelor pad where an old flame attempts to rekindle their romance.

When Drew finally gets Kate’s message, it brings everything into stunning focus as he realizes how much his marriage does mean to him. The rest of the story is the two of them working their way toward each other, but not without setbacks.

Kate’s need to have everything verified without trusting her husband gets in the way of their attempt to salvage their marriage. Her guilt over losing her father without reconciling starts to get the better of her, until she comes face-to-face with an old friend of his. The friend helps her to see more deeply into her father’s life, both the time before her birth and after.

Her rage over losing her mother and her staunch belief that it was her father’s fault almost keep her from discovering the truth. When the story ends, Kate has come to peace with his passing, but not until after dealing with one final surprise. The twist threatens to ruin every good memory she has of her childhood, including a relationship still held dear.

Although the story starts slow, with the time at her father’s house seeming to take too long, later the reader sees the importance of each moment Kate spent there. The couple’s struggles to solidify their marriage are realistic in that they can’t simply decide to work things out and have everything go perfectly. They hit bumps in the road like every other couple.

I enjoyed the way things were tied together at the end, and how Kate was able to discover more about her father than she ever knew. The way others were able to share with her and deepen her knowledge of past events also helps her finally move past her mother’s death. I also liked the way the author didn’t gloss over the drunk driving that led to her mother’s accident, and how she brought things full circle at the end in that aspect as well.

I rate this book 4 out of 5 stars. The book was well-edited, and the plot and story were strong. The characters were fairly well-rounded and not flat. I didn’t rate it a 3 because I felt that it was a complete story, with action, emotion and realism. I wanted to read it when I was busy doing other things, which is always a good sign to me of how well a book will do. I didn't rate it a 5 because I felt that it could have been a tighter and more gripping story.

For a debut book, I felt it was well thought out, with a twisty story line that continued to surprise me as the reader. It was not a typical “saw that coming” read, which I appreciated, but it was also simple enough that I could lose myself in it for some time. I believe this book would appeal to those that are fans of romance, but I think it could also garner readers from other genres, including those that enjoy Gillian Flynn-style books. While not as thrilling as one of Flynn’s mysteries, it still has the flavor of Flynn’s style in that it makes the reader do a double-take when the truth is finally revealed.

For those that enjoy technical books or books with lots of flowery language, this might not be a favorite book. Overall, this was a great read, and the book also has a beautiful cover design that is appealing even in a small scale.
Profile Image for Gabbi Grey.
Author 20 books193 followers
March 13, 2018
Golden Heart winner is a must listen (an audio review)

I loved this book. I say that a lot, but it is completely appropriate for this book.

The set-up for conflict in this book was pretty clear and a story we have seen before – a woman dealing with her dying father and her crumbling marriage. The execution, however, was anything but predictable. Kate is a strong character whose life is teetering. The book opens with her at her dying father’s side, unable to tell him how she really feels. She opens up to his hospice nurse, sharing her memories of her father after her mother’s untimely death by a drunk driver. Kate is bitter, and shadowed by the painful remembrances, unburdens herself. Doris, the nurse, is empathetic and reassuring, letting Kate know her feelings are valid and understandable, but also gently letting Kate know that time is running out.

As she leaves her father’s cabin in the woods, Kate realizes she’s late, and her husband Drew, a divorce attorney, is due home.
Why anyone would choose to become a divorce attorney is beyond me, but seeing the money Drew pulls in, I will concede it might be worth a look. But it also sounds soul-sucking.

The point-of-view alternates between Kate and Drew. Drew’s perspective of the marriage is very different. He is ready to walk away, feeling he is not the centre of Kate’s world. Kate is feeling lonely because Drew has made a string of broken promises.

Kate is in an accident and everything from there goes a little sideways.

I always take notes when I listen to a book, but I don’t want to spoil anything, so I can’t share most of them. The book takes some twists and turns. Some were predictable and others were shocking. This book is about a marriage in crisis and how a couple, when faced with the possibility of losing each other, find a way back.

It is the secrets that have all the power in Kate’s world. As each one is revealed, she is forced to examine her life through a new lens. All that she had believed is called into question. Her entire life is turned upside down. It is at this pivotal moment that Drew has to make the decision of whether or not to try to his marriage.
There are other characters in the background whose stories directly impact Kate and Drew, and some of those stories don’t get resolved until the end of the book, which kept me listening anxiously.

This is a wonderful book about relationships: a daughter and her father, a wife and a husband, friends and lovers, and complete strangers. I cannot say enough good things about the resolution.

Anne Sperry Connors is a new narrator to me and I think she was perfect for the story. A couple of mispronounced words weren’t a big deal. Her voice carries the range needed for the male and female characters as well as Kate’s dying father – croaking voice and all.

This is a must-listen.

Profile Image for Terri Patrick.
Author 2 books5 followers
April 15, 2012
"Flaherty's Crossing" by Kaylin McFarren is an award winning novel, a poignant story of Kate Flaherty's journey through the death of her father and saving her marriage. The texture and beauty of Ms. McFarren's writing brings the characters alive within the space and time of the story. The sensory style and attention to detail absorbs the reader into a personal connection with Kate and her husband Drew. These points alone justify the awards and rave reviews of "Flaherty's Crossing".

"The journey begins..." are the opening words and is the promise from the author to the reader who will join Kate Flaherty through her story. For the next 85 pages, the story unfolds with rich imagery, deepening emotional connections, lighter reveals, and some mysterious chills. Every detail is clean and has purpose. Then the honesty of the story truly gets its voice.

Kaylin McFarren presents Kate and Drew's story with an emotional openness, no stone is left unturned, as these characters reveal their issues and philosophies to love and faith. There's a poignant simplicity to the events and revelations that take the characters one-step closer to inner wounds never acknowledged before the moment they appear on the page, that lead to the next issue to resolve. Many are issues developed through the eyes of a child that now are revisited with the understanding of an adult. Kate and Drew explore how these wounds can be healed, and are led to understand more about themselves, and each other.

Through Kate and Drew's eyes we meet other characters like Brian, Wanda and finally Sophie, that add more depth and light to this journey of a daughter, learning about her father, that touched my soul. The final chapters are exceptionally satisfying as they add new twists and powerful truths.

"Flaherty's Crossing" is a page-turner book, but not the nail biting kind though there is something challenging happening on every page. This story compelled me on an intimate level to share in the trials and fears, delights and doubts, sorrows and joy. I highly recommend this novel. It is also a novel I will promote to writers to review to see how good storytelling and strong writing can merge with exceptional honesty and create something that will live in readers hearts for many years, and be reread many times.
Profile Image for Charline Ratcliff.
Author 3 books214 followers
July 7, 2014
Normally in my reviews I start with information about the book but in this case I am going to start with the author. I found Kaylin McFarren to be a very descriptive writer. She is able to describe people and situations in a clear yet interesting manner without becoming too wordy or boring. I would liken her writing style to that of Danielle Steele and I think her works will make a wonderful addition to the romance genre.

“Flaherty’s Crossing” is a heartfelt story about a woman whose entire life seems to be in turmoil. Kate Flaherty, the main character, is a woman in constant emotional pain. Because of her life experiences, her upbringing and the death of her mother when she was a small child she refuses to allow anyone completely into her life. Instead she keeps everyone, including her husband, at arms length preferring to hide behind the façade of a perfect life.

We first meet Kate at her father’s house where his losing battle with cancer is almost over. Kate is unsure how to feel at this point. On the one hand she is angry at him for shutting her out of his life ever since the death of her mother. On the other hand she is still daddy’s little girl; desperately wishing for his love and affection or at least a sign that he is proud of who she has become as an adult. He passes away while she is not there which leaves her adrift; warring with feelings of guilt, sorrow and anger.

Kate is also battling with a marriage that is falling apart and neither she, nor her husband Drew, seems to know how to reach out to the other to fix it. They are both at an impasse. She feels she cannot trust him because he is always letting her down and he feels that she no longer wants him in her life.

Several key events transpire which force Kate to face previously unknown truths; force her to question the validity of the reality she thought she knew and force her to realize that no one is perfect. Armed with this new information can Kate rescue herself, her life, and her marriage before it is too late? The answers to that and the “rest of the story” can be found on the pages of “Flaherty’s Crossing.”

(Reviewed in association with Rebecca's Reads).
1,428 reviews51 followers
April 20, 2010
From my blog...
Flaherty's Crossing by Kaylin McFarren is a deeply moving novel of not only love, but also of forgiveness. Kate, a fiercely independent married artist with a longing to be loved, receives a call she has been dreading, her father, Collin Flaherty, has passed away. Kate is already struggling with her marriage and is now faced with doubts about who her father truly was and if he stopped loving her when her mother passed away. Kate's husband Drew, a high-powered attorney rapidly moving up the corporate ladder yet still overshadowed by the achievements of his now deceased father, is striving to make their marriage work and to convince Kate that he can indeed be there for her, believes in her, and loves her. Flaherty's Crossing is a rollercoaster ride of events and emotions as McFarren delivers a delightful cast of characters, which include friends, family, hospice workers, and Kate's gossipy neighbour Wanda, each delivering a special message to the narrative. The diner scene is a stroke of literary brilliance as Flaherty's Crossing reminds the reader it is never too late to change, apologise, and forgive; a narrative that reminds one that love transcends time and place and can never die. To anyone looking for an insightful and uplifting novel, I highly recommend Flaherty's Crossing.
Profile Image for Crystal.
545 reviews35 followers
Read
April 23, 2010
I thoroughly enjoyed Flaherty's Crossing while reading it and I already miss Kate and Drew as characters. This novel was such an exploration of what love is, what it is like to lose a parent and forgiveness. How is this done? Drew and Kate are married but seem to lost track of each other and their marriage, they are both at the breaking point, but after an accident and as time passes the two start to work together and talk together again. But can some secrets that still remain ruin the reigniting love between them.

Kate also has issues with her father in the beginning of the book and he is at death's door. The book goes through what Kate does after his death and how she learns more about her father and herself and how to go on with life.

This book is full of emotion and characters that really come to life. I feel like Kate and Drew are a part of my family now, and that is pretty amazing for a 250 page book. Also I found this book kept surprising me. As soon as I though I had something figured out, it was different than I thought. But it was the relationships that kept me reading above and beyond the plot, even though the plot was wonderful, the relationships were outstanding.

I look forward to reading more of Ms. McFarren's work in the future.
Profile Image for Jaclyn.
521 reviews27 followers
September 13, 2010
I won this book through the First Reads Giveaway and I'm glad I did. Kate Flaherty is at a crossroad in her life. Her estranged father is on his death bed and her marriage is at risk. Tired of not being needed or feeling wanted, Kate's husband Drew is ready to call it quits. Despite the fact that Kate doesn't want her marriage, she doesn't know how to allow herself to trust Drew either. Once upon a time Kate's mother trusted her father and he broke that trust and now she's dead - Kate blames him for her death.
On the night her father dies, Kate has a bad accident on her way home - this accident can be the turning point in Kate's life, if only she'll let it. It'll take learning to trust and have faith in her husband to save her marriage, and a belief in an experience she can only take on faith, to heal her heart.
This book had all the elements of mystery, love, forgiveness, and hope. I definitely recommend it and plan to reread it again soon myself.
Profile Image for Bebe.
262 reviews16 followers
March 18, 2016

"From Pacific Northwest's award-winning author Kaylin McFarren comes a powerful novel about love, loss, and the power of forgiveness...

When her night takes an unexpected turn, however, she flees for her life, a life desperate for faith that can only be found through her ability to forgive."

McFarren's first book is a success! The way she describes characters is fabulous. She opens them up and exposes them- flaws and all. Not the most entertaining read, but it has a "realness" to it that I enjoyed. I'd read something by McFarren again.
Profile Image for Bikram.
379 reviews3 followers
February 28, 2018
I received this audiobook for free from the author / narrator / publisher in exchange for an unbiased review.

I had just finished the "Threads" series by the same author "Kaylin McFarren", before starting listening to this book. I had absolutely loved that series and thus had high expectations from this book as well. And yet, I wasn't prepared for what I got in this book.

This book is deeply emotional and makes you think about your life and your loved ones. Even though the lead character in this book is a female, I could still relate to her so closely. I guess more or less everyone has some sort of grudge with their parents. I didn't have the sort of issues Kate had in her life and family, and yet, I could empathize with her and feel what she might be going through. A character being able to engage listeners at that level is always a win.

The narration is very apt and suitable for the story. No complain there either.
Profile Image for Aubrie Dionne.
Author 37 books578 followers
July 1, 2011
Flaherty’s Crossing by Kaylin McFarren

McFarren’s latest novel, Flaherty’s Crossing, is about so many crossings on physical and metaphorical levels. The story delves into complex relationships between a husband and wife and a father and daughter, and explores how the past can affect the future. McFarren unravels a rich history of events that lead to the decisions that the characters make throughout the novel. She weaves in complicated topics of death and religion in a masterful manner that helps shape the plot. Told from a rotating viewpoint, the story illustrates how there can be two sides to an argument, and how both parties must set aside pride to pave the way toward forgiveness. McFarren’s writing is powerful and detail oriented, making the story come alive and creating a suspenseful atmosphere that sustains to the last page. A brilliant exploration of women’s fiction.
425 reviews3 followers
July 16, 2010
A FirstReads win. Kaylin McFarren has written an emotional book that draws you in and keeps you attached to the characters. After you finish, it leaves you reassessing relationships in your own life.
After losing her mother at a young age, Kate has an estranged relationship with her father and is left with many trust issues in her life. At her father's death several events happen that make Kate face truths in herself and come to terms with issues in her own marriage.
Flaherty's Crossing is about 'crossings' in many areas of life - Kate's relationship with her father, trust in her marriage and accepting the love of her husband, learning to forgive herself and those around her, and finding her faith again. It is a wonderful exploration of life.
Profile Image for Tami.
Author 34 books67 followers
July 29, 2010
Sometimes, the deepest darkest moments allow us to finally recognize the light in our lives. Only when we face our pain can we move onto something better. So it seems for Kate Flaherty.

Kate was at a crossroads. From the moment her mother died, everything changed. Her father became distant. As she watches her father succumb to cancer, Kate realizes that she was very much her father's daughter. She'd lost her mother, would soon lose her father, and if she wasn't careful her husband would give up on their marriage. She had to make some changes and fast.

Flaherty's Crossing is an inspirational story about learning to let go and love fully for the sake of love. Who are we under our masks of pain? How would it feel to have those burdens lifted?
Profile Image for Bridget.
574 reviews129 followers
April 23, 2010
Kate has never been close to her father. Her father's stand-offish behavior toward her ever since her mother died has Kate in a tangled emotional web. When she finally visits her dad, he is dying. Kate seems to have a tough time with the male species. First, her father failed her and now her husband isn't living up to expectations either. Their marriage is in shambles and neither of them know what to do to fix it. Life throws a few curve balls and Kate and her husband realize what is really important.

I really enjoyed this book because it was believable. Kate is easy to relate to and you can't help but hope that everything works out for her in the end.
Profile Image for Julie Baswell.
724 reviews25 followers
July 9, 2014
Kate goes to see her dad for the last time, as he lies dying of cancer. In the hours and days following, revelations will test her sanity and marriage. Will she come away stronger, or will it destroy her?

It’s always hard to learn that things aren’t just black and white, that there’s usually a story behind it. I love the way Kate’s life makes full circle. I liked Kate but I have to say that the neighbor Wanda Finch was my favorite. This story brought out strong emotions in me, and had me crying by the end. I also liked the quote, “a photograph could capture the perfection of the model…but not the emotions the image evoked. These are very true words.
Profile Image for Kara.
50 reviews1 follower
July 7, 2010
This was a read that I finished in a day or two because I was so attracted to the author's writing. It's a motivating story with details to keep you interested throughout and throughout the entire novel I found myself rooting for the title character. Any book that makes me any bit relate to the character or sympathize so strongly with the character is a good read in my opinion, and this was definitely so.
Profile Image for Sandra.
138 reviews11 followers
February 25, 2016
This was one of the most interesting books I have read in a long time. Just when I thought I knew what was going to happen a new twist or turn showed up. I got mad at Kate and Drew a few times, but they were never boring. The story made me laugh and cry, it was intense at times. I didn't want to put it down, I read half of it the first day. My thanks to Goodreads Giveways for my free book. It was a wonderful read. Looking forward to reading more of Kaylin McFarren.
134 reviews
January 4, 2018
Anyone that has lived long enough will almost certainly have had life experiences that will allow them to identify with one or more characters in this book; but more importantly to identify with one or more of the emotional experiences described by this fine author. I suspect that there will be few readers of this story that will remain dry-eyed.
Profile Image for Jenny.
10 reviews2 followers
October 3, 2010
This is an amazing story of love, life and forgiveness. For a debut novel, this should prove or a promising career for Kaylin McFarren. I received this book on one of the raffles through Goodreads and would encourage anyone to pick it up. I really enjoyed this book.
Profile Image for Renata.
11 reviews2 followers
May 1, 2011
It's a really good book so far. The characters really draw me in and I can't wait to see what happens in the end. :)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 50 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.