Start by marking “Soul Among Lions: Musings of a Bootleg Preacher” as Want to Read:
Soul Among Lions: Musings of a Bootleg Preacher

Soul Among Lions: Musings of a Bootleg Preacher

Farmer, writer, and preacher-at-large for more than half a century, master storyteller Will Campbell offers a collection of thirty classic meditations challenging readers toward a more conscientious faith. With the soul of a true satirist, Campbell combines Scripture and homespun humor in a deceptively simple style that belies the seriousness of his intent: to deflate the ...more
Published April 1st 1999 by Westminster John Knox Press

To ask other readers questions about Soul Among Lions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soul Among Lions

Eric Black
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
Soul Among Lions is an incredible collection of piercing insight. I should have started reading Will Campbell a long time ago.

This little book is a very quick read...too quick. I'm craving more of Campbell's thoughts, more of his wisdom gained from a long life through great tragedies: the Great Depression, World War II, the brutality of the American South during the Civil Rights Movement.

All wisdom is hopeful, and Campbell's is no different. Hope abounds again and again.
Ryan Korstange
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Provocative. Challenging. Dangerous.
Nancy Graham
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Found this small collection of brief news commentaries on clearance -- and am so glad I purchased it. I own Campbell's memoir, "Brother to a Dragonfly," considered by many to be one of the best nonfiction books of the 20th century, but I haven't read it. Though I've read snippets of interviews with him in the past, this was my first appetizer to his written work.

A Baptist pastor from Mississippi, born in 1924, Campbell defies social stereotypes and speaks prophetically into the culture. You may
Bill
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I am re-reading this book again. Will Campbell is sorely missed. We need folks like him. People who can speak truth to power are what we need today. All to often, in this day social media, we are affected by 'electronic soul molesters'. I would expand that original definition to include not only televangelists but also politicians as well.
Conchita
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Started this book without really having my mind engaged. I had to start the book over because I just didn't get it. But the second time really made sense. I think he made some very good points. I would recommend it to everyone.
Steve
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Quick read. Straight talk. Good book.
Sharon
Jun 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful little musings on faith and life and compassion.
Shauna Boyd
Dec 24, 2013
David
Feb 02, 2011
Jamie
rated it did not like it
Jun 15, 2008