Start by marking “White Stallion of Lipizza” as Want to Read:
White Stallion of Lipizza

White Stallion of Lipizza

The magnificent Lipizzan stallions of Vienna come to life as never before in this exciting story by award-winning author, Marguerite Henry.

A young boy named Hans dreams of one day working with the famed stallions of Lipizza. But coming from a family of bakers, Hans is discouraged from ever becoming a rider. That is, until the day he is invited to watch the extraordinary Ba
Published March 1st 1994 by MacMillan Publishing Company (first published January 1st 1964)

Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenryMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura Hillenbrand
Horse Books/Novels
1,158 books — 608 voters
Black Beauty by Anna SewellThe Black Stallion by Walter FarleyKing of the Wind by Marguerite HenrySeabiscuit by Laura HillenbrandMisty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry
Best Horse Books
370 books — 324 voters

More lists with this book...

Manybooks
Now if I were to approach Marguerite Henry's 1964 novel White Stallion of Lipizza as ONLY AND SIMPLY from the point of consideration of factuality and featured realism (of how historically accurate Henry's physical descriptions of late 19th to mid 20th century Vienna and Austria generally are), I would absolutely be ranking White Stallion of Lipizza quite highly indeed (as the author has clearly very much done her research and homework with regard to time and geography, never over-exaggerates th ...more
Lois Bujold
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in horses, mid-20th-century history, or both
Recommended to Lois by: chat list discussion
I actually read the original 1964 first printing from my public library, which still hoards it. I was reminded of its existence through a chat list conversation, and though I still remember vividly nearly all of Henry's other wonderful kids' books from my horse-mad childhood, I think I may have missed this one, published when I was in junior high. It is still very fine, and I'm glad to see it has been recently reprinted. I cannot imagine how an e-edition would reproduce the -- to me, integral -- ...more
Rena Sherwood
Not one of Henry's best. However, a bad Marguerite Henry book is still better than most children writer's best books. There is not much of a plot, although it is partly based on the life of a real rider with the Spanish Riding School of Vienna. Yes, Vienna is not in Spain but the style of riding (and some of the original bloodstock for the Lipizzaner) originated in Spain. You may know Lipizzaner best from the Walt Disney film:

description

It's hard to read about the happy times in Austria portrayed here and
annapi
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hans Haupt is the son of a baker, and is fully expected to take over the family business in time. But his passion is for horses, and his dream is to one day be a Riding Master and work with the magnificent Lipizzaners of the Spanish Riding School of Vienna. Against the odds he gets a chance to pursue his ambition, and this story tells in exquisite detail all that he goes through in training.

No one can tell a horse story like Marguerite Henry, and what keeps this tale from becoming a dry history
Lydia Smith
Mar 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: with-kids
It was very interesting because I didn't know anything about these famous Austrian horses! But, Savannah thought some parts were a little boring. She is not that into horses but if you had a kid who is into horses they'd prob really love this story.
Shannon
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about a boy whose determination and hard work help him live his dream.
Laura (Book Scrounger)

I think this is now my second-favorite Marguerite Henry story (after King of the Wind). I really enjoyed learning more about the Lipizzan horses, and following Hans, the protagonist, on his dream to become a Riding Master. He demonstrates a sincerity and passion in his pursuit of knowledge and experience that is admirable and contagious.

I also enjoyed reading this in a large format rather than a mass market paperback -- the numerous small illustrations really help tell the story, especi
Angelina
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The White Stallions of Lipizza are an absolute spectacle. The perform not simple circus tricks, but ornate movements of pure magic. Hans Haupt makes it his mission to become one with the world of Lipizzaners but, and let's face it, when has society seen a baker's boy rise to great fame other than through his pastries? The Spanish Riding School of Vienna is no place for such an individual. Or is it? "White Stallion of Lipizza" will take you to places that you never could have imagined could possi ...more
Darlene
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
I read this book aloud to my daughters.

We loved this book! My elder daughter especially loves horses and riding, so she was particularly interested in the details that Henry provided with regards to training of both the horses and riders.

This inspirational book teaches that dreams can come true through hard work and perseverance. Hans did, at times, feel discouraged but he persisted. We should all work hard to attain our goals, which is a good value for young children to learn.

MY RATING: 4 stars
Cassidy
Jan 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juvenile
The White Stallion of Lipizza is a truly lovely book. I read it second grade and I haven't forgotten it since. It's a simple and charming yet deep story with everything a seven-year-old could possibly desire in a book: gorgeous white horses, bakeries, adventure, family, and dreams with some challenges and loss thrown in to hold everything together. This is a book every kid should get the chance to read.
Nanci
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this story so much as a child that I made sure to attend a performance of the Lipizzaners when I was in Vienna. It accomplished what every children's book should, it opened a new interest in my young life. The performance in Vienna is one of the most memorable moments in my life, thank you Marguerite Henry!
Rebecca
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
So far, I have loved every Marguerite Henry book I have ever found. She is one author who wrote intelligently for young adults. When I read her now, I do not wonder what I saw in her books. I still enjoy them!

This book has some of the most beautiful of Wesley Dennis' illustrations.
Martine
May 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
As a kid in the 1960s I looked forward to getting new horse books by Maruerite Henry for birthday or other special occasions. I was a horse fanatic. Someday I hope to go to a horse show to see these horses.
Kristen Coffin
Jul 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: animals
"All Viennese are proud of the Lipizzaners. For most of us it is a thing to admire from afar. Like stars. Or the moon when it is new."

Easy-to-read, face paced. Beautiful images. Great read for horse lovers of any age.
Marlo
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've read this book to both of my boys and my daughter when they were each around 8 years old. It's a terrific coming-of-age story with great historical detail. I've enjoyed reading it aloud every time, and each of my children enjoyed the book as well.
Holly Parry
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Anything by Marguerite Henry is great absolutely you should read it

It was absolutely amazing and I enjoy disappointed it was spectacular it was every thing I thought it would be!!!
LaRae Steen
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Happy Birthday, Marguerite Henry - April 13, 1905
Terralyn Brown Barfield
I LOVED these books by Marguerite Henry as a pre-teen. Any girl who is horse-crazy will love them.
Kavita
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: going-to-read
This book was amazing and I would recommend it if you are a horse lover.
Kimberly Croy
Jul 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Great details about the lippazaner horses of Vienna
Michelle Cain
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A skillfully written book about chasing your dreams. The author's knowledge of horses is evident in her descriptions and teaches novices a little hippology. This book also gave us some wanderlust in the direction of the Spanish Riding School in Vienna! Educational read!
Karen
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very well written story of a young boy, Hans Haupt, who sees the Lipizzan Stallions on their way to practice each morning and wants to be a Rider of the Stallions. The story details his journey to finally becoming a rider who has been trained by his horse. While the story is written for children, it is a very good read for an adult, too.
Marsha
Ms. Henry’s love of horses and her meticulous attention to detail shine through in this short, sweet tale of a boy’s almost fanatical desire to rise above his humble origins and become part of a grand tradition of Vienna. The white horses of Lipizza are a marvel of beauty, elegance, obedience and precision, their movements as graceful as a dancer’s and their performances as marvelous as a trained dolphin’s.

Her language is simple but it completely conveys the protagonist’s emotions and thoughts
Rebecca
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story of a dream birthed, cherished, pursued, and won. We read this aloud. My son loved it and related to the main character even though they have very different life dreams.
Karen GoatKeeper
Feb 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It seems every horse lover has a favorite breed. One horse breed seems to transcend this: the Lipizzaner. The appeal of their intricate maneuvers and especially the airs above ground seems universal.
So where did these horses come from? Where did they get their name? How are they trained? Why is it called the Spanish School? What are the airs above ground?
Marguerite Henry tells the story of a young Viennese boy with a dream of one day being a Riding Master of the Spanish Riding School. Interwoven
Emerald
This was one of my favorite childhood books. I remember getting out of school for summer vacation and my little sister and our cousin went to the library. I remember checking out this book. After reading, I remember thinking how magical it all seemed and that this was true, these horses really did exist. The horse on the cover is what drew my attention and I thought the horse was beautiful and I had to take this book home and read about him. I remember I didn't want to return the book to the lib ...more
Anne Osterlund
Nov 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Hans dreams of riding the famous Lippizan stallions. A dream that seems all but impossible for a baker’s son, especially after Hans’s father is injured in a cart accident.

But Hans will do anything to pursue his dream: read ancient texts about the war general, Xenophon, sneak off to see the Lippizan colts in the dead of night, and, yes, commit years of his life. If that’s what it takes.

White Stallion of Lippiza is a mid-grade novel (though the one I read was formatted like a giant picture book) a
Aadel Bussinger
Oct 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children, horse lovers, families, history buffs
Beautiful, informative, great illustrations. This was truly a book for the whole family. Hans works in the family bakery, but his dream is to work with the Famous Lipizzaner Horses that he sees each Sunday as they march to their performance. Will Hans have to let go of his dream, or can determination get him what he wants?

Great as a history, geography, and science lesson if you study further about Austria, the Lipizzaner Horses, Horse Training and Anatomy, and WW2 and General Paton's part in sav
Mandy Beyers
A fascinating horse story by an author whom many call the most famous horse author ever, this book is also a story about horse training, the history of the white Lipizzaner stallions of Vienna, and a young boy who has and pursues an impossible dream. I especially appreciated the fact that things were not made easy for him. His dream did not come true by magic, but by hard work and persistence, even when things were difficult and others were discouraging.
Play Book Tag: White Stallion of Lipizza by Marguerite Henry - 4 stars 8 22 Nov 07, 2016 01:50AM
  • Peter the Great
  • The Apprentice
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • Tales of Robin Hood
  • Billy And Blaze: A Boy And His Pony
  • The Little Riders
  • Old Bones the Wonder Horse
  • The Minstrel in the Tower
  • Red Sails to Capri
Marguerite Henry (April 13, 1902-November 26, 1997) was an American writer. The author of fifty-nine books based on true stories of horses and other animals, her work has captivated entire generations of children and young adults and won several Newbery Awards and Honors. Among the more famous of her works was Misty of Chincoteague, which was the basis for the 1961 movie Misty, and several sequel ...more