Start by marking “Mercy Thompson: Moon Called” as Want to Read:
Mercy Thompson: Moon Called

Mercy Thompson: Moon Called (Mercedes Thompson Graphic Novels #1)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  3,876 Ratings  ·  75 Reviews
Mercedes "Mercy" Thompson is a talented Volkswagen mechanic living in the Tri-Cities area of Washington. She also happens to be a walker, a magical being with the power to shift into a coyote at will. Mercy's next-door neighbor is a werewolf. Her former boss is a gremlin. And she's fixing a bus for a vampire. This is the world of Mercy Thompson, one that looks a lot like o ...more
Hardcover, Graphic Novel, 104 pages
Published August 15th 2010 by IDW Publishing (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Mercy Thompson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mercy Thompson

Anne
Apr 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very few novels make good graphic novels. I've said it before, and I'm sure I'll say it again.
But not this time.

David Lawrence did an excellent job adapting Moon Called to this format. It's been years since I've read the book, so I can't really remember each and every part of the actual story, but it seemed to me that most of the major plot points were there. It made sense, and it flowed well. I'm sure that wasn't easy.

As far as the art goes...
Well, I didn't love it or hate it. It had an anime f
Stacia (the 2010 club)
2.5 stars. I don't know how I feel about the graphic version of these books. The characters just didn't match up to how I pictured them. This is often the case with graphics, but the artwork didn't speak to me this time in order to balance some of that out. Even though it was all very-well drawn, the style wasn't really my preference.

The story-to-comic revision wasn't badly done though. Will I read on? Probably not. I'll just stick to the regular book versions.

Here's an example :

Bry
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was a great graphic novel and definitely worth the wait. I really enjoyed the overall look of the characters and settings. The characters were a bit different from what I had originally imagined but still looked as they should. The colors were dark, leaned toward jewel tones, and were very rich.

The adaptation from the original novel was done very well in that while it had to leave out certain moments or facts revealed enough for the story to be understandable, the characters to have depth,
JuliaOrlando
Mar 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
I read this graphic novel for a book club challenge. I read the 1st book in the series and thought that I would enjoy the graphic interpretation, but I didn't like it at all. I thought the storyline was very choppy and the art was a distraction to me.
Harrison Scalf
Jan 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The visuals made the story even more fun to read.
Elena
2.5 stars. I picked up this graphic novel after being massively disappointed by the prequel, Mercy Thompson: Homecoming, because I figured that a lot of my criticism of the prequel (namely, that it was totally disjointed and had no narrative arc whatsoever) would probably be remedied when we got into ground that had already been covered admirably in the novels.

I was sort of right. This book, unlike Homecoming, does, indeed have a plot that makes sense. Unlike Homecoming, it does a halfway decent
Mel
I bought a massive bundle of electronic comics online as it had some Red Sonia and Leah Moore comics I wanted to read for ridiculously cheap prices. The comics all had women creators which I found particularly appealing. This one was a small graphic novel that was included in the bundle. It was a comic based on a YA novel. It wasn't that bad. There was an interesting woman protagonist who was a Coyote shapeshifter, and worked as a car mechanic in the Tri-cities of WA state. She was friendly with ...more
Carmen Chacon
I really enjoyed it. Though I didn't like some of the graphics. They stuck to the storyline which was great it also refreshed my memory on what happen in the first book.
Chani
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great adaptation of the novel and I really liked the style of Amelia Woo :)
Cassie Fischer
So I was rather impressed with Part 1. Things were flowing really well and the art was great. Characters were looking how I pictured them and I was enjoying it. As I started on part 2, everything started to speed up and characters were introduced that seemed to have no meaning but ended up being really important. Part 2 felt very rushed.
In "Moon Called"s defense, I haven't reread this book in a long time, but this refreshed my memory pretty well. The sequences follow the novels very well but I j
Kathy
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Moon Called but in comic form.
xtina
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by a fellow Vampire Academy groupie (several of them, actually), so I knew I had to give it a shot. I am so glad I did! What a rare treat to begin a new gripping series when 5 books are already out. I hope I can pace myself so I don't finish all of them in a matter of days and then have that unbearable wait until January for the 6th one.

Anyways. Mercy Thompson is a Walker, a deliciously eerie name for people who can shift into coyote form at will. That's right, co
VampireNovelFan
This, my friends, is how you do a graphic novel adaptation

I originally read this comic as an ARC and then decided to purchase it immediately before I even finished it. Since I was reading the series via ebooks, I wanted something for Ms. Briggs to sign for when I meet her at San Diego Comic Con this July. I was going to try to get through the ebooks as fast as I could so that I could then also purchase a paper copy of my favorite installment. After seeing this comic, there's no longer a need.
Stephanie
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it

Moon Called Graphic Novel Makes Me Wonder About Why A Graphic Novel for the Books

Rating: Teen +
Cover: Amelia Woo
Writer: Patricia Briggs, David Lawrence
Penciller/Inker/Colorist: Amelia Woo (digitally painted)
Genre: URBAN FANTASY
Publication Date: March 2011
Format: Comic Book Collection
PAGE COUNT: 104+
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Dynamite Entertainment (March 8, 2011)
Language: English
Dynamite Entertainment http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/...
Received through Net Galley

I usually don’t review g
Ea Solinas
Apr 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Mercy Thompson is one of the cooler heroines of urban fantasy -- instead of a glamorous-sounding "tough girl" job, she's a simple car mechanic. Who works for a faery. And turns into a coyote.

Okay, maybe she's not a "simple" car mechanic, but she is a pleasantly down-to-earth protagonist. And "Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson: Moon Called Volume 1 TP (Mercy Thompson 1)" is a solid adaptation of the first half of the first Mercy Thompson book -- lots of lycanthropic action, solid art, and some perp
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
It's pretty much Mercy for Dummies.

Do you know how much it hurts to give Mercy a rating this low? Almost as bad as Adam felt through the first part of this story.

The art was not that great (her tats kept appearing and disappearing) and Adam and Jesse are not at all what I imagined, same for Bran and Sam actually, but Mercy was pretty decent, I'll give you that but the art had no soul, therefore the characters lacked. Besides anger, there were no emotions being conveyed properly at all.

The unde
Dharia Scarab
May 12, 2014 rated it really liked it

4 sta
Racquel
Sep 18, 2010 rated it liked it
It's interesting to see how many popular series are being turned into graphic novels lately. Adds a whole different dimension to the story when overlapped with the artist's work. Short of making a movie of it, it really brings the characters to life even more. The bonus story on Mac's past is also interesting while being a little disappointing too. There isn't much besides what we've already gleaned from Mercy's telling in it and the art is obviously poorly done. They just didn't care about it a ...more
Maureen Hoar
Feb 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I am a huge Mercy Thompson fan!!! She is a bad ass chick with a mind of her own! I love characters like this. I can't wait to read the other books in this series. Adam is pretty hot too, but he has met his match in Mercy. Mercy is a shifter who turns into a coyote in a world of werewolves, vampires and fae. She runs her own garage and lives with her cat Maddea. A young run-away boy asks to work in her garage and she takes him under his wing until one day he shows up dead on her door-step. She is ...more
M.V. Freeman
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a continuation of the Mercy Thompson's life---

Things just got more complicated when a Sorcerer Vampire comes into town--bodies start piling up and Mercy is pulled in to find the monster - because of her unique abilities.

In this story you get a glimpse of the Vampire culture a bit more--and she has to make a tough decision. What I like about this character is her strength and the knowledge of when she doesn't have it in her.

Patricia Briggs did an outstanding job-and has inspired me. :)

Ag
Jean Marie
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recently reread. A page-turner for me, I like Mercy's take-no-crap attitude.

A loner wolf comes to town and is taken in by Mercy, and this young loner brings trouble with him. Soon Adam's house is attacked, his daughter kidnapped, and Adam is badly hurt so Mercy has to bring him up to Montana to the Marrok. After returning, Mercy has to enlist the aid of Stefan and the vampires. Then, when the wolves act on a tip from the vampires, Adam disappears as well. Not to worry, Mercy to the rescue.
Lorna Francis
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having read this amazing fantasy novel by Patricia Briggs I am absolutely hooked on The Mercedes Thompson series which is riveting and exciting.    This well written and meticulously planned  novel had me invested in the characters from the very start.  I was surprised, horrified and delighted throughout as the shapeshifter, mechanic and aptly named Marcy Thompson endeavours throughout to help her fellow man.  I am looking forward to reading much more of this gritty and harrowing world of werewo ...more
TheGeekyBlogger
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read for Fun (Library Book)
Overall Rating: 4.00
Story Rating: 4.00
Graphic Rating: 4.00

Read It File It (Short Review): Mercy Thompson Moon Called Volume 1 by Patricia Briggs was my first ever graphic novel. I am glad I started with a story I knew so that I could spend some time learning how to read the frames (sounds silly but that took a bit). I really enjoyed the graphics and thought they added a little oomph to a story I already love.
Lmoore
Oct 12, 2013 rated it liked it
If you like the Stephanie Plum books you will like these. Mercy is basically Stephanie Plum in a world were werewolves, vampires and shape shifters exist. I have heard the later books get better, this one was just okay. I listened to it on my commute, and it kept me awake on the way to work and interested enough for the ride home for about a week. I'll probably move forward with the rest of the series after a break.
Michelle
May 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
I can absolutely sink into this world- even on the first of the series the world and characters are fully realized and absolutely believable as real people, even though they are werewolves, which is quite an achievement. Solidly written with enough real-world to ground the fantastic, and suspenseful BECAUSE it makes you care what happens to the characters. Read twice already- one of my favorite series!
Cherie (Myst)
Jan 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Have been delving into the graphic novel section of the library just to shake things up a bit and saw this. I love this series and this is just a condensed version of the book with gorgeous artwork. Of course you don't get as much details (I know a picture is supposed to tell a thousand works but it doesn't :P ), but it was a nice bit of nostalgia as it has been a long time since I read any Mercy Thompson books! Full of the same shiftery goodness but with gory pics :)
Chris Gledhill
Jan 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was part of a Groupees Dynamite comic bundle and I thought I would give it a chance. The art is amazing but some of the dialogue made me cringe. I get the impression this is based on a series of novels and it shows as it tries to cram as much scene setting as it can into ever page. I like my comics and graphic novels but this did not work for me. I am aware that I am not the intended audience so that may be why.
Angie
Jun 18, 2011 rated it liked it
After reading all the novels, I wasn't really impressed by this version. I didn't appreciate neither the style, nor the appearance of some characters (mainly Mercy & Adam), maybe because I was a little prejudiced. They don't fit to their original description in the books. I also think that the script is sometimes unclear and shows a lack of coherence.
Nevertheless, disregarding those little details, the story is more than correct.
Nicey Talbot
May 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very interesting read. Tending to shy away from multiple species books myself, I had few expectations from this one. However it was pleasantly surprising to find such a well written book. The POV is quite humourous in parts and the troubles she faces in some respects are very relatable and realistic. Hopefully the rest of the series will turn out to be as good.
M.A. Nichols
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it
This graphic novel was just fine, but not stand-out. It tells the story of the first Mercedes Thompson novel, but in graphic form. So, it doesn't include any new information or spin on the story, but gives the reader illustrations to go with it. I'm not a big graphic novel fan, so it didn't really flip my switch, but if you enjoy that sort of thing, I'm sure you'll love it.
  • Richelle Mead's The Dark Swan: Storm Born
  • Blood Work (The Hollows Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter: Circus of the Damned, Volume 1: The Charmer
  • Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Storm Front, Volume 2: Maelstrom
  • Becoming (Otherworld Stories, #0.09)
  • Hexed (Kate Daniels, #4.5; Otherworld, #9.5; Stormwalker, #2.5; Anna Strong Chronicles, #6.5)
  • Strange Brew
  • My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend Is a Monster, #3)
  • Late Eclipses (October Daye, #4)
  • Vanished (Greywalker, #4)
  • Home Improvement: Undead Edition

Mercedes Thompson Graphic Novels (5 books)
  • Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson: Homecoming
  • Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson: Moon Called, Volume 1
  • Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson: Moon Called, Volume 2
  • Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson: Hopcross Jilly

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
  • Dread Nation
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
  • Six Wakes
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)