Start by marking “Pentagon” as Want to Read:
Pentagon

Pentagon

The creation of the Pentagon in seventeen whirlwind months during World War II is one of the great construction feats in American history, involving a tremendous mobilization of manpower, resources, and minds. Inastonishingly short order, Brigadier General Brehon B. Somervell conceived and built an institution that ranks with the White House, the Vatican, and a handful of ...more
Published May 27th 2008 by Random House Publishing Group (first published June 5th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Pentagon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pentagon

Chris
Jul 11, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hist-misc
They don't build them like this any more. An absolutely fascinating book about the people who built the Pentagon. Just an amazing feat of design and construction in a short time. Often they were building before there were plans in place. Vogel tells a great story as he weaves in FDR and the military engineers, the politicians, and the civilian construction crews. I would not have wanted to have been the contractor or the officer in charge of construction. It was a neverending chorus of changes a ...more
Anne Ward
Mar 24, 2013 Anne Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military-history
This is a book about a building--how it was built, the action it has seen, and its place within the U.S. military. The book defies every opportunity to become a yawn and gives a intriguing account of the people and politics that went into building the Pentagon. If you live in the DC area this is a must read.

Five Stars: Historical, relevant, and well written.
Paul
I bought this book in August 2008 as part of my ongoing effort to learn more about the American "military-industrial complex". It turns out that there are not many books on the Pentagon; this was one of the few devoted to it. Admittedly it appeared to be mainly about the actual building rather than the institution itself, but I hoped that a "bricks and mortar" account might nonetheless provide a useful sidelight on the institution, and, having now read it, I feel it has done so.

Steve Vogel's his
Mark Mortensen
Apr 10, 2013 Mark Mortensen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: military, americana
“The Pentagon: A History” captured my complete attention by simply answering all of my questions regarding: who, what, when, where and why. The Pentagon is merely a unique free standing structure some regard as the 8th wonder of the world, however it is the culture within from day one to present that is as historical as the building itself.

The top American military echelon is filled with highly talented individuals seeking advancement, recognition and responsibility in an atmosphere full of egos
Ari
Oct 18, 2009 Ari rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nerds
A very detailed history of the Pentagon. The building, not the Defense Department. In some ways, it's a paradigmatic defense procurement program. Huge, hugely over budget, pushing the technical envelope, and subject to endless political meddling.

One of the things you learn is that Roosevelt thought of himself as an
amateur architect, and kept meddling with the plans. At one point he
proposed a solid square building, 1000 feet on a side, with
fluorescent lights and air conditioning for the interior
Tony Taylor
Jul 10, 2013 Tony Taylor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never thought this book could be so interesting, but when my wife read it first and told me that I would like it, I took her word for it. I was stationed at the Pentagon (OPNAV 4th deck, E-ring) for 13 years up through 1988, so I feel that I knew the old Puzzle Palace fairly well, but it was not until I read this fascinating book that I realized that there was so much interesting history associated with its original construction as well as with the modernization and rebuild (after 9/11). You don ...more
Sannie
Dec 15, 2008 Sannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in American military history
Shelves: non-fiction
Steve Vogel's history of the Pentagon reads easy and is completely fascinating. The Pentagon: A History reads like a novel, the characters are the architects, the politicians, and the workers. I normally don't read books like this, but I picked it up admittedly after Vogel made an appearance on The Daily Show. I wasn't sure I would like it, but I enjoyed it thoroughly; Vogel's writing is clear and the Pentagon's story is fascinating. Anyone who has an interest in American military history should ...more
Ian  Cann
Oct 24, 2016 Ian Cann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting well written of the Pentagon and its construction - The book makes the characters involved all very relatable. Rather than just a rolling history from them until the time of writing, the book then leaps on in time to major developments in the building's history - The 'Battle of The Pentagon' with anti-Vietnam war protesters in 1967, and then in the book's most moving sections, the events of 9/11 and the subsequent rebuilding process.

Interesting and thoughtful reading all roun
Robert
Dec 31, 2008 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a page turner, an exciting story. With all the evidence around of government screw-ups, it's restorative to read of not one but two spectacular successes, no, three: the building of the Pentagon in 1941-42, the reconstruction in the late 1990s, and the rebuilding after the attack of 9/11, which the reconstruction assured relatively minimal devastation. The people come to life as the author tells their remarkable stories.
Michael
Oct 20, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book follows the history of the Pentagon from the early decision to consolidate the old War Department into a single location to the reconstruction effort after the September 11 attack.

What makes the book so good is that it's not just a dry recitation of facts but instead is just short vignettes of various events.

Some of the best stories come from the construction of the Pentagon, however the building has a surprisingly colorful history.
Diane
Feb 03, 2012 Diane rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very comprehensive and detailed history of the Pentagon, from its building during World War II until its renovation after the attacks of September 11, 2001. Filled with interesting antedotes, particularly from the building's early years. At 500 pages, however, I found it a bit too long. I felt as if the material merited a shorter treatment.
Kendra
May 29, 2008 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The history behind the reason for planning and the challenges of building the Pentagon from the fight over its location to its ultimate size and purpose. Very entertaining look at the behind-the-scenes maneuvering that took place to ensure this iconic building was finished, as well as a review of the events that impacted it on Sept. 11, 2001.
Chuck86
Jan 23, 2016 Chuck86 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything you ever wanted to know about how they built the Pentagon, and how they renovated it both before and after 9/11. The "day of" 9/11 narrative is excellent, as is the story of FDR's personal involvement in where the building is.

And if you've ever wanted to know why it's a pentagon, your answer awaits!

A fine summary of a remarkable construction project.
Jeff
Oct 08, 2016 Jeff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a DC area resident, I probably found this book more fascinating than the average reader. (pg 107: '... sat Rosslyn, a village packed with saloons and lewd women', lol)

It's a great history, full of context, background, primary sources, fascinating characters and amazing stories of what can be accomplished in a short period of time (twice!).
Matt
Sep 01, 2015 Matt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
beth anne
interesting stuff. after awhile the back story on some people was going on too long. it is a miracle that this building was made and still standing (not because of 9.11, but because of the way it was treated from wwI thru the 1980s). only ead if you have alot of time...this one took me a week (i am a book every 2 days person).
Richard
Feb 13, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing; the world's largest office building put up in a year, with 10,000 people moved in in only 4 mos while it was still under construction. A great illustration of what the country can do when it puts its mind to something! Really interesting book that covers the personalities & politics involved in the construction of the building. Great for history buffs.
Phil
Jun 21, 2009 Phil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great telling of how the Pentagon was built and later restored. It takes a powerful look at the events of 9/11 and the aaftermath. I'll admit the middle couple chapters lost a little steam but it quickly peaked my interest again.
Lauren
Jun 05, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tedious because of all the detail. Nevertheless, it was fascinating. The book describes one of the most amazing construction feats in WWII, if not in US history. It also provides detail about the site selection, including the fact that homeless camps were displaced by the construction.
John Fulcoly
Sep 14, 2016 John Fulcoly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting - particularly the initial development of the concept for the building (completed over a weekend!). Fights over designs, money, segregation, and all the history combine for a very readable book!
Converse
A history of the building's conception, construction, renovation, and repair after September 11, 2001
Bill
Oct 02, 2007 Bill rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding! A must read for anyone interested in U.S. military history and certainly for anyone who has worked in the building.
alex
Jul 06, 2007 alex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I just put this on hold at work, after a glowing recommendation from a patron.
Jeff
Aug 07, 2011 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
an amazing story of American ingenuity at its best...an excellent read for anyone connected to the construction industry
John L
Aug 16, 2007 John L rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Hard to believe that from conception of the idea to the final move in was only 17 months.
If you like history, and engineering, this one's for you.
Mark Seip
Jan 21, 2016 Mark Seip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The origin story of this famous building is awesome and highlights the effort required to make it a reality in such a short time period.
David
Aug 15, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read. Highly recommended for all my friends who are Pentagon dwellers.
Jenny
Mar 09, 2009 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over a year ago and am still fascinated by it. It's a great one for Pentagon trivia -- if you have any interest in the building at all, this is a must read!
Eric
Jan 28, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book. Recommended by Gen Petraeus.
Ruth
Jan 05, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. It is so much more meaningful knowing the backdrop as well as I do.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • High Steel: The Daring Men Who Built the World's Greatest Skyline
  • A Fiery Peace in a Cold War: Bernard Schriever and the Ultimate Weapon
  • The Final Season: Fathers, Sons, and One Last Season in a Classic American Ballpark
  • The President's House: 1800 to the Present The Secrets and History of the World's Most Famous Home
  • The Lighthouse Stevensons: The extraordinary story of the building of the Scottish lighthouses by the ancestors of Robert Louis Stevenson
  • The Nature of Design: Ecology, Culture, and Human Intention
  • Design: A Very Short Introduction
  • Partners in Command: George Marshall & Dwight Eisenhower in War & Peace
  • The Battery: How Portable Power Sparked a Technological Revolution
  • Warlord: A Life of Winston Churchill at War, 1874-1945
  • War on the Waters: The Union and Confederate Navies, 1861-1865
  • Negro President: Jefferson and the Slave Power
  • "Live from Cape Canaveral": Covering the Space Race, from Sputnik to Today
  • The Department of Mad Scientists: How DARPA Is Remaking Our World, from the Internet to Artificial Limbs
  • No Place to Hide: A Brain Surgeon's Long Journey Home from the Iraq War
  • Germany 1945: From War to Peace
  • The Century
  • Married to the Mouse: Walt Disney World and Orlando

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »