Start by marking “In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)” as Want to Read:
In This Mountain (Mitford Years, #7)

In This Mountain

(Mitford Years #7)

The seventh novel of Karon's beloved series is now available in paperback. Father Tim and Cynthia are back home in Mitford, where they find change in the air: a haircut price war that takes no prisoners and a risky new menu item at the Grill.
Published September 27th 2005 by Penguin Books (first published 2002)

Mike (the Paladin)
I'm not going to rate this book...I'll explain why.

I noted in an earlier review that many consider these "women's books". I questioned what makes a book a "woman's book"? Then I found A Common Life: The Wedding Story, the wedding book and I couldn't take it. So I guess I may have gotten my answer though some may not agree. To me that book was so totally an emotional story it seemed estrogen soaked. I put it aside and didn't try to rate or review it. I figured, "hey I get it, some people just wan
R.F. Gammon
Aug 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not the best of the Mitford books, but marvelous nonetheless.
Gretchen
Aug 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Whenever my life gets too busy, I'm drawn to simple books. Not simple in terms of writing - bodice rippers are for cold winter nights - but simple in terms of plot. This summer, Mitford has been a great source of comfort.

In this installment, Father Tim is dealing with life after retirment, and finding it not exactly to his liking. While some of the conflict in this novel is a little too black-and-white to my liking, I really appreciated seeing how several characters were approaching faith. and
Jen
May 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jen by: Lori Nettnin
I found myself reading this book a little bit slower than the others. Often because I know the Scripture the author is quoting, I sort of rush through it. This time I took the time to read it fully, more slowly, and grab the context of how it fits within the situation in the story.

Maybe because I read this one a little more slowly, I found that I enjoyed this book more than some of the others. I like how things are going for Father Tim, for Dooley, for Cynthia, for Hope, for George. I'm not sure
Ellen Trautner
Aug 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*This review references an event in a future book*

This is the kind of Mitford book I love! The last few I read apparently happened after this one, so I'm reading the series out of order. It doesn't really matter. I remember not liking the ones that take place outside of Mitford as much. This one takes place completely in Mitford, woohoo! I've already read the one where Dooley and Lace get married and I remember being confused, mostly because all the skipping around to different characters and on
Kate
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love my time 'in Mitford'! The characters feel like people I'd love to get to know, and the setting makes me wish to visit North Carolina at least once before God calls me Home!
Ever in a situation when you can just 'see' what's going to happen next (or eventually), but the characters involved just don't see it coming? Yeah, there were several moments like that in this book for me. But, despite my frustration at the character's choices in some parts, I left this journey to Mitford feeling hopef
Camilla Tilly
I never thought that I would rate a Jan Karon this poorly but this book just made me depressed and I wanted it to end as soon as possible.

Father Tim is nearing 70 and he has diabetes type 2. Still he does not do anything to preserve his life. He is packing his things to go to the mountains in Tennessee with his wife Cynthia where they will live in a hut with cement floor and try to be an inspiration to children and youth in that area. But they never get there. He doesn't exercise, he doesn't eat
Julie
Jul 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I have enjoyed all 6 of the previous Mitford books but this one is my favorite for so many reasons. There were too many wonderful messages & lessons to share them all but all basically saying "count your blessings", "stop and smell the roses", "listen that you may hear"...

-The joy of receiving a brief phone call from your grown child sharing a momentous event
-Why does it take an accident or illness to slow us down enough to appreciate the people, places & events around us?
-The love and
Joy Gerbode
Feb 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I love this entire series, this is the BEST. I LOVE the Father's message on giving thanks, and want to commit the entire message to memory so I can remind myself daily. I have also been further encouraged to take care of my own diabetes due to Father Tim's struggle with the dreaded disease. This is absolutely a wonderful book of inspiration, both spiritually, and healthwise.
Renee
❤ Loved re-visiting this beautiful story! Everyone in Mitford has problems & baggage. Cynthia’s first love betrayed her with other women. Miss Pringle also suffered from rejection & betrayal. Joke-teller Uncle Billy suffered under abandonment & cruel poverty. Teenage Lace was viciously abused before Harley, Father Tim, Hoppy & Olivia gave her a new life. As a teen, George Gainor lost his family in a tragic accident. Fearful Hope can’t understand the meaning of her name or the mea ...more
Susan Snodgrass
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
'And while I'm at it, Father, please......show me how to put and end to this darkness, or if You choose to let it go on, give me a brighter spirit to endure it.'

Mitford is the best place in Fiction Land. Ever. Jan Karon surely wrote under the anointing of the Holy Spirit as she wrote these books. I have loved Mitford ever since the first word I read in At Home In Mitford. Currently, I am on my third reading of these powerful and spiritually nourishing books.
In this one, Father Tim walks through
Joyce
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Library copy. Mitford series #7.

Love this series. And I probably say this every time, this title is better than the last, deeper, more moving, more engaging, inspiring.

My favorite characters in this title (beside Father Tim and Barnabas) are Uncle Billy, Buck Leeper and Dooley Barlow. I was not so keen on Hope and Helene, and there seem to be more protagonists in this one.

The crux of the story, which I won't spoil but it involves a Stop sign, is so well done and realistic and makes the reader
Debbie Phillips
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone - High School to Adult
Oh, my how I love this series. It took me less than 2 weeks to read this, and that is not bad considering I have to work and I am reading another book for our book club.

I love Mitford and oh how I wish I could live there, or in a town like it. Oh, to live in a town where you can walk to stores and buy almost everything you need, and to have neighbors that are really friends.

Father Tim has some very serious problems in this book of the series. Oh, how my heart ached for him and since my husband a
Teri-K
This is one of my favorite in the series. I like the balance of plot and character, humor and pathos. We enough of the minor characters - including Dooley - to make me happy but the focus is still firmly on Father Tim. In this book Father Tim and Cynthia are back in Mitford and everything looks rosy. They're preparing to head to rural Tennessee to work with children, Dooley is finishing his first year of college, George (from the first book) is being released from prison - it all looks fine. But ...more
Bill
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I had started reading Jan Karon's Mitford Series on her eighth and ninth releases ("Shepherds Abiding" and "Light From Heaven"), not realizing at the time it was a series. I loved the entire series and began reading the others in order. Problem was, I had several unanswered questions from the two books I listed. This was the last one in the series that I had not read and it tied all of the unanswered questions together.

I believe Jan Karon is a brilliant writer with a true understanding of peopl
Carrie Surbaugh
Feb 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read a review of this book that said, essentially, that in this one Father Tim is too emotional and the whole story is too feminine. (I’m gonna skip right over the blatant misogyny of that statement.) This installment of the Mitford series is a
beautiful and surprisingly nuanced portrayal of a man working through some serious trauma brought on by chronic illness. Jan Karon’s exploration of depression and isolation is graceful and relatable to anyone who experiences mental illness. My largest cr
Janice
Sep 05, 2012 rated it liked it
I last visited Mitford over seven years ago. The truth be told, I thought I had completed the series with A New Song, Father Tim's retirement and interm on the isle of Whitecap. It was a pleasant surprise to discover I had missed more adventures with my old friends.

Well, seven years is a long time to be apart. People change. Was it me? Had my tastes changed? Or was it Ms. Karon's writing? I found I had to push myself to get through the first third of the book. Then, for whatever reason, perhaps
Carol Bakker
Nov 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kudos to John McDonough, whose narration of the Mitford books is superb. Although I've read all of the Mitford books, I'm enjoying listening to them read by McDonough. It is like the joy of wearing your favorite sweater when the weather gets crisp.

I'm finding some of Fr. Tim's phrases infiltrating my thoughts: "Consider it done." "Thanks be to God." "I will pray. Faithfully." The literary references and quotes are also highlights.
Jerusha
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leisure, fiction
I enjoyed this book more than any of the previous & I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole series so far. Their personal struggles & interactions then from those internal struggles are quite relateable & realistic.
Linda
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great series!! It has been a while since I have read a Father Tim book and this was a pleasure to read!!

Very enjoyable!!
Sylvia
I loved this book!! Great story!! Loving this series!! Can't wait to read the next book in the series!! Loving this author's books!!
Bea
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian, fiction, 2011
I love my visits to Mitford.

Fr. Tim hits a particular dark time in relation to his diabetes regimen. We all do it in our own way - I feel fine and don't want to be tied down to things I "Have To Do" in order to live. Freedom from specific diets, freedom from specific exercise regimens or a day without meds that in themselves may cause problems. Then we go on that eating binge, stop exercising for a while or make up our own meds schedule without the Dr's official okey dokey and the darkness lurk
Melinda
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This volume, I think, would really appeal to someone who has experienced a lingering health trial or to someone who has supported a loved one endure an unexpected change in health. I loved how this work showcased the little miracles that occur in our lives, so much more often than we give them credit or fail to recognize them. This book points them out and celebrates the peace and solace that they bring.
Even after finishing seven books in the series, I appreciated that there is always more to l
viemag
I have slowly been re-reading Jan Karon's Mitford Series featuring Father Tim and just finished re-reading this installment. I found this installment to be a little more serious then some of the earlier books in that it dealt with Father Tim's car accident and depression. I felt the author gave a realistic picture of what can happen as a person suffers from depression and recovers and although her portrayal was not light hearted the book did include several light hearted moments when readers can ...more
Sheri Hathaway
I have great respect for Jan Karon as an author. She has amazing skill for bringing to life her characters from this small town, making readers feel like they are friends. Common, everyday problems (getting a good hair cut), are part of the life of the residents of Mitford, along with the other, bigger challenges such as feelings of insecurity, insufficiency, and hatred are worked through in all the characters, and interwoven among it all is the Christian doctrine and message. Truly a satisfying ...more
Fredell Boston
Jan 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this book, Father Tim has retired from his regular pastorate at Lord's Chapel and is acting as supply for the diocese. He and Cynthia sign up to go to the mountains to serve a mission pastorate there, but Father Tim's diabetes acts up and they are unable to go.
What ensues is relate-able to all those fans of Karon and her characters. They live and react and behave as we all do when struck with personal tragedies or misfortunes.
Cyndy
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is another winner in the series. I especially love Father Tim's character. In this book he struggled with a depressive period that gave me great insight into the spiritual side of that condition.
Each character comes alive for me and I just can't wait to read the next book in the series!
Cindy Macbeth
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is the seventh book in the Mitford Years series.
Loved this book just as much as the first 6 books.
The book is centered around Father Tim the now retired
Pastor and the town of Mitford.
Shows all the ups and downs of life and the wonderful
quirky people that are Father Tim's friends and family.
Kellie
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
This one is tough because it deals with depression and Karon does an excellent job of translating that real life frustration in the fictional world. It's an accurate portrayal for the depressed as well as the those that love someone through a depression. I love the end though because there's always hope in Mitford.
Michael Ploeger
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A story about mercy and laughter.

I love this book! Father Tim experiences a difficult time and the words and story of the author have been balm to my soul. In it we are reminded that God cares for us and brings good from our bad and gives us grace.

• A Change of Heart (Harmony, #5)
  • Miss Julia Hits the Road (Miss Julia, #4)
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • Dearest Dorothy, Slow Down, You're Wearing Us Out! (Dearest Dorothy, #2)
  • The Yada Yada Prayer Group Gets Decked Out
  • Stealing Lumby (Lumby Series Book 2)
  • Violet Goes to the Country (Cynthia Coppersmith's Violet, #2)
  • Home Song (Cape Light #2)
  • Summer at Fairacre (Fairacre, #16)
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
Born Janice Meredith Wilson in 1937, Jan Karon was raised on a farm near Lenoir, North Carolina. Karon knew at a very early age that she wanted to be a writer. She penned her first novel when she was 10 years old, the same year she won a short-story contest organized by the local high school. Karon married as a teenager and had a daughter, Candace.

At 18, Karon began working as a receptionist for

Mitford Years (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • At Home in Mitford (Mitford Years, #1)
  • A Light in the Window (Mitford Years, #2)
  • These High, Green Hills (Mitford Years, #3)
  • Out to Canaan (Mitford Years, #4)
  • A New Song (Mitford Years, #5)
  • A Common Life: The Wedding Story (Mitford Years, #6)
  • Shepherds Abiding (Mitford Years, #8)
  • Light from Heaven (Mitford Years, #9)
  • Home to Holly Springs (Mitford Years, #10)
  • In the Company of Others (Mitford Years, #11)
“Give me faith, Lord, to know Your Presence as surely as I know the beating of my own heart. I've felt so far from You....” 19 likes
“He was praying the Psalms, as he'd done in times past, with the enemies of King David translated into his own enemies of fear and remorse and self-loathing, which, in their legions, had become as armies of darkness.” 3 likes