Start by marking “Batgirl, Volume 1: Batgirl Rising” as Want to Read:
Batgirl, Volume 1: Batgirl Rising

Batgirl, Volume 1: Batgirl Rising

(Batgirl (2009) #1)

In the wake of “Batman R.I.P.”and BATTLE FOR THE COWL, Stephanie Brown, the vigilante formerly known as The Spoiler and Robin has taken on the identity of Batgirl as she begins her nocturnal crusade to take back the night from the underworld. Now she has become the target of both Gotham City’s heroes (who don’t take kindly to a new person wearing the cape and the cowl) and ...more
Published June 7th 2011 by DC Comics

To ask other readers questions about Batgirl, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batgirl, Volume 1

Sesana
Aug 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, superhumans
I feel sorry for Stephanie. She was Robin for about five minutes before being murdered by Black Mask. Does she get a memorial? Nope. DC editorial says she was never "really" Robin. Then she comes back from the dead and gets to be Batgirl- for about five minutes. Then New 52 comes along and she gets replaced by a de-paralyzed Barbara Gordon. So where's Stephanie now? Don't know, DC editorial forbids any appearance or mention of her.

I bring all this up because I really, really like Stephanie as B
Anne
Dec 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Didn't know much about Stephanie Brown before I started reading, and I'm honestly not sure if I really like her voice all that much...yet. However, this is worth reading anyway, because 50% of the book is Barbara Gordon's perspective on things as she reluctantly takes Stephanie under her wing.
Overall, this was a really enjoyable origin story for a new Batgirl.
Scott S.
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes there's nothing better than an afterthought selection from the library (and libraries rock, BTW) that turns out to be an unexpected and/or hidden gem. Batgirl Rising, for me at least, was one of those books. You know - zero prior knowledge, zero expectation results in five-star rating.

Although I'm more familiar with her as Spoiler, I thought Stephanie Brown was really engaging as the new Batgirl. It's not quite an origin story so much as the 'first week on the job'-type of tribulations
Jedhua
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
Book Info: This collection contains Batgirl issues #1-7.

ABSOLUTE RATING: {2.5/5 stars} (Rounded Up)

STANDARDIZED RATING: <2/5 stars>

description

Stephanie Brown – former superhero Spoiler and current Batgirl – is starting her freshman year of college at Gotham U. She's still getting into the swing of things as an official superhero, and must learn to juggle schoolwork and regular nightly patrols, while avoiding raising her mother's suspicions about her extra-curricular activities. Meanwhile, Barbara G
Wing Kee
Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a biased review cause I just love the Stephanie Brown character, so if you want an objective review you won't find it here.

Yes! Finally her own series, how does it read?! Great!

World: The art in okay, it's nothing special to write home about, the character models are good, though body position is a little bit off, however the facial expressions are great which is very important for a Steph Brown book. The world building here is also good, following in the footstep of Cain Batgirl and als
Sue (Hollywood News Source)
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: superheroes, comics
I read Batgirl at whim, It exceeded my expectations. I love Stephanie Brown and her sister-mentor relationship with Barbara. Sadly, the ending is a bit anticlimactic. I love the Batfam so much.
Michael
Feb 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Smallville's Bryan Q. Miller gets the job of introducing the new Batgirl with former Spoiler Stephanie Brown picking up where Cassandra Cain left off. I've always liked the Steph Brown character, with all her flaws she's more human than a lot of the extended Bat-family and a lot more vulnerable. I'm sad to see Cassandra go though. Miller knows how to have fun with his character in these first 7 issues, which includes a highly amusing team-up between our heroine and the newest and most insufferab ...more
Aden
Nov 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie Brown as a character owns real estate in my heart and she always will. Yes, I'm writing this late and it is shameful. I adored this book, this entire run was fantastic. I feel like they hit a great voice for a character that many loved and quite a few didn't. Stephanie gains the Batgirl mantle after the previous owner, Cassandra Cain leaves upon the death of Batman. They don't really touch much on her friendship, which is a shame as its a cornerstone for Cassandra's own Batgirl run. Th ...more
Jwaria
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Why did Stephanie get a small time of being batgirl?Only three volumes?Come on!Barbara and Steph teaming up is a one-of-a-kind dynamic duo and make such a good team.I LOVE ITTTT SO MUCH!! :D
Patrick
Aug 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
For some stupid reason, I thought there might be more boy-drama and catty in-fighting than there was. I'd been told to read this by someone with pretty good taste in books, so I probably shouldn't have doubted her.

The art is crisp and the writing is mostly on-point. The character is more interesting than I had hoped for. I'm following Stephanie in the current Detective Comics run so going back to previous interpretations of her had me a little nervous.

I'm planning to finish of the series today
Shakira
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, comics
This was fun. We got the new Batgirl, Stephanie Brown, being taught by Barbara Gordon, the original Batgirl(from what I know). Villains are Scarecrow,Livewire, Freddie "Riot" Frankenstein, Roxanne "Rocket" Sutton, Dr. Phosphorus, and Roulette . Also, Batman(Dick Grayson) , and Robin(Damian Wayne) appear!

I love Beginnings! This issue has a lot of Beginnings for a lot of the characters. It flowed nicely and I plan to read the rest!
Silvia
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Omg I adore Steph. She's a fresh humor air and her relationship with Damian is hilarious. Bet Babs will make Steph a great successor after Cass...
Emmett Spain
Dec 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
From Bryan Q. Miller, a staff writer on the TV series Smallville, comes a relaunch of the character Batgirl, with another new character donning the outfit.

Batgirl has been a difficult character for the DC universe, and the focus of much debate over the years. The original Batgirl, Betty Kane, was introduced in 1956 as a way to put an end to rumours of Batman & Robin’s “homosexual tension”, as suggested by Frederic Wertham’s famous book “Seduction of the Innocent”. She was abandoned in 1964,
MC
May 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There was some considerable controversy among comic book fans when DC Comics chose to make Barbara Gordon the post-New 52 reboot Batgirl once again. Not only did the editors at DC replace Stephanie Brown with Barbara Gordon, but they rewrote the continuity so that Brown was never Batgirl to begin with.

After reading the first volume of Brown's stint as Batgirl, Batgirl Rising, I can say that, as much as I like Babs, I'm really disappointed as well. Stephanie Brown is an amazing Batgirl, because s
Joseph
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a pretty good first volume of the Stephanie Brown Batgirl character. Oracle/Barbara Gordon is a featured player, and there are some good scenes with Dick Grayson as Batman and with Damian Wayne as Robin.

There's not a lot of exposition to let a reader know what's going on. There are references to Stephanie's past as Spoiler and Robin, as well as her romance with Tim Drake, but nothing explains what happened in her past to get her where she is in this book. Likewise, this story takes place
Noetic_Hatter
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
It had been a long time since I'd read a superhero comic that was so, well, FUN. I had read a little of Stephanie Brown as Spoiler, mostly as related to that horrible War Games story arc years ago.

But here, she's a breath of fresh air -- in the same way that Invincible: The Ultimate Collection, Volume 1 was for me in the past. The book is funny and witty. And it includes Oracle as Batgirl's mentor (one of my favorite comics characters). Batgirl doesn't know what she's doing, and she screws it u
Eric
I am such a sucker for Damian I cannot rate this objectively, I can't even talk about it sanely... I know in my heart of hearts two things. (1) When I had the chance I barely read much that featured Damian so I always wonder why I seem to be so obsessed with him now. Hmm, actually I guess I know the reason... he's dead. It changes everything. (2) There was a two but I keep thinking about how he's dead now and it makes sad all over. At least he's alive and well in Batman: Li'L Gotham #1 being is ...more
Heatherblakely
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm reading these all out of order but WHATEVER, it's fine.

Likes: Babs! Love the conversations between Barbara and Stephanie, love seeing their inner monologues and how they compare to each other.

Dislikes: The women always question themselves. Am I doing this correctly? Can I beat this person? Oh, I did that thing successfully but it was totally an accident. These women are strong and can kick ass and I just wish they were a little more confident.

Stephanie is fine, but Barbara is still my fav
Lu (Sugar & Snark)
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a really fun and action packed volume! I am new to Batgirl, but I got filled in pretty quickly about who Stephanie Brown was and how she became the new Batgirl. I liked seeing the Oracle as part of the support cast in the series and I can't wait to see more of her.

As for the villains. There was a whole host of them! But I must say that Scarecrow creeped me out the most!

The interaction between Batgirl, Robin and Batman is also great! Overall I enjoyed this story and will most certainly c
Jacobi
Sep 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: trades-read
This book is fantastic! Granted, it isn't super deep or anything, but it is incredibly fun (in the fashion of Spidey books). I've been looking for an in back to current DC comics again, and this is it. This book is charming, funny, and full of heart. I did not give two fucks about Stephanie Brown before this, which is saying something because I'm a big bat-family dork, but now she's one of my favorite characters.
Althea J.
A fresh and young take on the Batgirl character. And a straight up fun read! I also dug the mentor relationship between Stephanie Brown's Batgirl and former-Batgirl Barbara Gordon. Really, this book is just a breath of fresh air within a Batfamily that is otherwise dark and angsty. I really enjoyed reading Bryan Q. Miller's take. I only wish his run went longer.
Anna
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I had never read anything with Stephanie Brown before, but I really did enjoy this and I plan on getting the other two volumes if possible. I'm still trying to catch up on all the Bat-family continuity, but I do like the rapport between her and Barbara (aka Oracle) and the complex relationship between them and the Batman/Robin team (Dick and Damian).
Terri
Oct 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
An underwhelming plot (something about evil property developers and a gambling-themed villain), but I loved this for how it showed Steph coming into her own as Batgirl and her lovely relationship with Babs.
velma
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I love Babs and Stephanie fighting crime.
Kendyll
Oct 09, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I need this team to come back oracle and steph and cass with dick at batman and damian it was such a good run
Ben Truong
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Batgirl is an American comic book series published by DC Comics. Stephanie Brown takes over the mantle of Batgirl from Cassandra Cain in this third eponymous ongoing comic book series. Batgirl: Batgirl Rising collects Batgirl #1–7 of the 2009 on-going series and collects three storylines: "Point of New Origin", "Field Test", and "Core Requirements".

"Point of New Origin" is a three-issue storyline (Batgirl #1–3), which has Cassandra Cain passing the mantle of Batgirl to Stephanie Brown, which ups
Vishualee
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Stephanie: The only variable you can control is yourself. You can forget who you are, or you can be who you want to be. (*plunges sharp rod onto Scarecrow's head*) That's why you stay, you stay for a second chance.

Scarecrow: But if you stay, you're forced to face your self...no one is brave enough to face who they really are.

Stephanie: I am--

Scarecrow: And who might that be!?!

Stephanie: I'm Batgirl!!!

Humor is evidently present in the comic. I enjoyed reading it. Stephanie dishes out motivation t
Michael Roby
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stephanie Brown is my favorite character in all of DC and it was a delight that, for however short of a time, she had her own series. Poignant, funny, spunky, and at times extremely heartfelt about what it is to feel like you're Batman's least wanted apprentice, these books had a lot of heart to them and I still love them to this day, and still hope we may one day see the excellent Bryan Q. write for Stephanie again.
Jackie
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5! Bit of a slow start!
Justice
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
Wow, I really like Stephanie Brown!
Comic books/Graph...: November: Batgirl 37 22 Apr 05, 2014 08:12PM
  • Batgirl, Vol. 5: Kicking Assassins
  • Gotham City Sirens, Vol. 1: Union
  • Red Robin, Vol. 3: The Hit List
  • Blue Beetle, Vol. 1: Shellshocked
Bryan Q. Miller is an American television and comic writer most notable for his work on the CW’s “Smallville” and DC’s “Batgirl.” (with Stephanie Brown as Batgirl)

Batgirl (2009) (3 books)