Start by marking “Isaac Newton” as Want to Read:
Isaac Newton

Isaac Newton (Christian Encounters Series)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
Christian Encounters, a series of biographies from Thomas Nelson Publishers, highlights important lives from all ages and areas of the Church. Some are familiar faces. Others are unexpected guests. But all, through their relationships, struggles, prayers, and desires, uniquely illuminate our shared experience.

As an inventor, astronomer, physicist, and philosopher, Isaac Ne
Published March 1st 2010 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Isaac Newton, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isaac Newton

Josh
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
A brief biography of Newton, which is exactly what I was looking for.
Jesse Broussard
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: good, non-fiction
I picked this book because my math teacher wrote it, not out of any inherent interest in Newton. That lasted about the first two chapters. From that point on, I was fascinated with the little guy: obsessive, neurotic, reclusive, a genius with a few slight misanthropic tendencies--he really is an astonishing character. Nothing at all like I'd pictured him, and I highly recommend this book to anyone even remotely interested in anything at all (though it is somewhat weak on dragons).

Stokes obviousl
Douglas Wilson
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
I began reading this simply because a friend wrote it, but the hook went in early, and I found myself hauled into the boat rapidly. This book is just brilliant, engaging, productive, and fun.
Christine
Nov 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Who would have known that Newton would be so interesting?! It's funny how similar he and Mitch are.
Lois
Dec 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of a series of books on leading Christian figures, Christian Encounters: Isaac Newton discusses the philosophy, life and times of this eminent inventor, astronomer, physicist, and philosopher. In addition to exploring Newton’s extensive writings on faith, he also shows how Newton used his grasp on theology to explain the scientific world.

Stokes includes fairly extensive quotes from Newton’s leading biographers, William Stukeley and Frank Manuel, as well as excerpts from the philosopher’s own
Dan Glover
Apr 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this brief biography of Isaac Newton. This is not the first book by Mitch Stokes that I have read, so it wasn't his abilities as a writer that surprised me. Stokes is a good writer and there are some truly memorable turns of phrase in this book which is something I haven't often found in biographies. He also traces some themes throughout which serve well to tie Newton's life story together. Rather, what surprised me was how good a feel one gets for Isaac Newton as a ...more
Abbie Riddle
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Isaac Newton, Mitch Stokes
What a profound man! I actually requested this book primarily as a resource for home school. I think it will serve as an excellent resource and that it should also be brought into the public school. I may have been more interested in the work and theories of Mr. Newton when I was in high school had I known the driving force behind them. It seems so often we focus on the discoveries, inventions, theories, and philosophies, and equations of man that we rarely take time to
Mary
This book is one of a series entitled Christian Encounters. I was expecting a book about Isaac Newton's religious beliefs or lack there of. I was pleasantly surprised when reading the book to find that it is a very good biography of Sir Isaac Newton with a subtle weaving of his beliefs woven very cleverly throughout the book.
I had never read a biography of Sir Newton. I learned so much from this book. Full of interesting facts, friendships, enemies, lifestyle, and more, this book was also a blue
D. Ryan
Mar 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history
I recently reread this book and had to up my rating from four to five stars.

Stokes is the perfect person to write about Newton and the controversies surrounding his life. Newton had interests (and made great discoveries) in mathematics, physics, chemistry, theology, philosophy, etc., and Stokes' background allows him to address each aspect of Newton's life.

Newton was a skillful craftsman, a builder of ingenious devices for his experiments, and Stokes has a background in Engineering. Stoke's the
Arno Rossouw
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book gives a glimpse into the mind and character of one of the greatest polymaths in history.
Hostility amongst scientists and their discoveries was the norm in the 17th century.
There's also surprising discoveries about Newton interests, among them the fact that he was a prolific writer of theology and also dubbed as an alchemist.
I'm in awe that a person can specialize in so many fields with such skill. Highly recommend this book to any person interested in science.
Steve
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-of-2011
This corrected my view of Newton, less unorthodox than I had throught, and truly pivotal.

While we are at it, this whole series are intelligent, thoughtful biographies that don't over simplify, neither do they wander off into 500 pages of exhausting and bearing-losing detail. They coveer the topic in 150 to 200 pages.
Christopher
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a really good biography. Newton is an interesting character and Dr. Stokes presents him and his revolutionary ideas clearly and with dry humor. It was also nice to be able to read a biographer who is philosophically on top of it and took Issac Newton seriously, rather than treating him like a historical curio.

Also read in Spring of 2012
Chris Comis
Very fun read. Wrote a short paper on it for a class I took on modern theology. Stokes seems to get the science of the man and the times, but doesn't do as good a job engaging Newton's theological problems. It was a blessing to see that Newton wasn't a full-blown Arian, but I'm not sure Stokes represented the extent of Newton's Trinitarian problems.
Brian Saul
Sep 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Mathematics in heavy syrup. Like many great minds, Newton was a rather rare bird. His life in all its intensity operated on a very different plane from mine- that's for sure! While I deeply appreciate his genius, I have a hard time relating to him. Well, I don't understand him. The biography was well-researched and well-written. It's a bit heavy for me, however.
Matthew Hurley
Filled some unforgivable gaps in my knowledge of Newton and his aftermath (no pun intended). Stokes' critique of where we've gone from Newton is particularly telling.

P.S. Also, Hooke was kind of a loser.
Suzanne
Jan 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
An extremely well-written and well-researched biography. Mitch Stokes was able to bring his subject of Isaac Newton to life. What could have been a dry book about this man was engaging and interesting and piqued my interest in Newton and his work. Highly recommend reading this book.
Gwen Burrow
Feb 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
Quite enjoyed it. Stokes knows Newton like a brother, and his prose is tight and fresh.
Chris
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize Isaac Newton was such a theologian.
Gary
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second of Stokes biographies I have read, and I am very impressed. His writing style is smooth and masculine. He really understands his subjects and their age. And unlike most modern historians he is happily free of what Lewis called "chronological snobbery".

Loved it.
Michelle Brock
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
This was a fantastic short biography of a brilliant man, written from a Christian world view. In Newton's case, a personal understanding of Christianity allows helpful perspective on points of Newton's life that puzzle secular biographers. I thought Stokes did a good job presenting primary sources to highlight major events in Newton's life, and information that enables the reader to understand better the whole person of Isaac Newton. He amply presents evidence for Newton's Christianity. (I'm ske ...more
Ryan
Mitch Stokes has written a wonderful biography for one of the world's most brilliant men. Mostly known as an inventor, astronomer, physicist, mathematician, scientist, and philosopher, but Isaac Newton wrote more about theology and religion than all of these subjects combined. Newton's desire for knowledge was a form of worship to God—the ultimate goal was to know God and "give him honour & glory." John Locke even commented to his cousin that he "knew few who were Newton's equal in knowledge ...more
Ethan
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked the premise of this book: examine a well known historical figure through the lens of the Christian faith.
Having just graduated with a degree in physics, I've heard a lot about Newton and studied the discoveries he made, but I'll admit that I was surprised to learn of the strength of Isaac Newton's faith and how that motivated and enabled him to make the discoveries he did.
This book is fairly short for a biography, so it's a pretty easy read. But I also feel he did a good job of
Kasonde Mukonde
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Luke D
Sep 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
I LOVED this book. Brilliantly written, informative, eye-opening, inspiring, encouraging and challenging! Showed me how much of a completely unbelievable genius Isaac Newton really was. Alexander Pope gave him this epitaph:

Nature and nature's laws lay hid in night;
God said, "Let Newton be," and all was light.

Slightly extravagant, but mostly true!
Rachel
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really liked it. ⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Bev Atwood
Mar 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is an amazingly fun book. What we know of Isaac Newton in the history books is just the tip of the iceberg. Dr. Stokes' writing style is easy -- it reads more like an autobiography.
Drew Bailey
Aug 22, 2015
Casey
Jun 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Jane Austen (Christian Encounters Series)
  • The White Horse King: The Life of Alfred the Great
  • The Faith of Christopher Hitchens: The Restless Soul of the World's Most Notorious Atheist
  • J.R.R. Tolkien
  • The Deluded Atheist: A Response To Richard Dawkins' The God Delusion
  • Evening in the Palace of Reason
  • The Gothic Enterprise: A Guide to Understanding the Medieval Cathedral
  • Fireflies In The Dark: The Story Of Friedl Dicker Brandeis And The Children Of Terezin
  • Not a Tame Lion: The Spiritual Legacy of C.S. Lewis
  • Through New Eyes: Developing a Biblical View of the World
  • The Rage Against God: How Atheism Led Me to Faith
  • Defiant Joy: The Remarkable Life and   Impact of G.K. Chesterton
  • Carry a Big Stick: The Uncommon Heroism of Theodore Roosevelt
  • Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
  • The Last Indian War: The Nez Perce Story
  • Historical Theology
  • Seeing Beauty and Saying Beautifully: The Power of Poetic Effort in the Work of George Herbert, George Whitefield, and C. S. Lewis (The Swans Are Not Silent #6)
  • With Amusement for All: A History of American Popular Culture Since 1830
Dr. Stokes received a B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Florida in 1992 and an M.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Central Florida in 1994. While serving as an advanced and senior engineer in Florida in the 1990s, Dr. Stokes took theological courses at Reformed Theological Seminary in Orlando. He went on to complete an M.A. in Religion (Philosophy of Religion) ...more
More about Mitch Stokes...

Christian Encounters Series (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Saint Francis
  • Galileo
  • J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Saint Patrick
  • Johann Sebastian Bach
  • Saint Nicholas
  • Anne Bradstreet  (Christian Encounters Series)
  • John Bunyan  (Christian Encounters Series)
  • D. L. Moody (Christian Encounters Series)
  • Fyodor Dostoevsky (Christian Encounters Series)