Start by marking “Quiet Your Mind and Get to Sleep: Solutions to Insomnia for Those with Depression, Anxiety or Chronic Pain” as Want to Read:

A busy and hectic life can profoundly affect your ability to get a good night's rest. And it's even more difficult to feel relaxed when you stay awake worrying that you won't fall asleep. This vicious circle can quickly rob you of your quality of life, which is why it is so important to seek the most effective treatment for your insomnia.

This workbook uses cognitive

Published December 2nd 2009 by New Harbinger Publications (first published April 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Quiet Your Mind and Get to Sleep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Quiet Your Mind and Get to Sleep

Start your review of Quiet Your Mind and Get to Sleep: Solutions to Insomnia for Those with Depression, Anxiety or Chronic Pain
Jackie
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
extremely helpful and easy to follow even when you are sleep deprived (and that's important)
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't been sleeping well lately, so I checked this out of my local library. It was a really insightful read.

The main piece of advice I'm taking away from the book is to go to bed every night and wake up every morning at the same time. This trains your body that those are the times to sleep and wake, respectively. It may seem innocuous to sleep in on weekends, but that's literally the equivalent of artificially inducing several hours of jet lag on yourself.

Only give yourself as much time in
Christine
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was ok
I'm not sure what I was expecting but this book brought nothing new to the table that anyone with sleep problems hasn't known for years. Not a bad book, just not overly helpful.
Anne
Feb 04, 2011 rated it did not like it
It was more like a workbook. Didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know. Just went into "greater" depth. If you consider 156 pages of mostly workbook to be "in depth."
Pete
Mar 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, self-help
Quiet Your Mind and Get to Sleep:Solutions to Insomnia for Those with Depression, Anxiety or Chronic Painby(2009) by Coleen Carney and Rachel Manber is a solid book that provides a workbook style approach to getting better sleep.

I had some trouble getting to sleep for a few weeks and the book has helped with suggestions and also a score about whether you really have insomnia or not. I don't. This in itself was quite helpful. The book unfortunately doesn't include anything on sleep tracking
Lisa
Jun 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the first book on sleep advice that I have read, and I really enjoyed it - lots of insightful tips and strategies to help with sleep!
Khuey40
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good solid CBT-I information...
Jon Boy
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is immensely helpful!

Over the past decade that I've dealt with and attempted to treat insomnia via theropy, medications, mindfulness, etc, this book is easily the most helpful of anything I've ever read. It incorporates many techniques proven to help eliminate insomnia and sleep troubles and guides you through every step. I highly recommend it if you cannot find a good CBTI therapist near you.
Ampersand Inc.
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: debbie-s-reads
This is a great workbook from New Harbinger. Trouble sleeping is, unfortunately, a common problem for many adults. There are a lot of steps to follow in this book, but the method is easy to understand. I have to admit that I got sidetracked with some of the activities and to do justice to the book, I will need to go back and complete them properly. This is for someone that seriously wants to tackle the issue of insomnia.
Stoker Wilson
Sep 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have had an insomnia problem for many years and in the past cognitive behaviour therapy has been a real help. I have found this book to be a clear guide and an encouragement to work through the problem systematically when it rears it's head. The down to earth and practical advice have encouraged me to try out things like getting up in the night when i can't sleep. Previously I did not think I could do it.
Allison
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a beginner, I found this book to be incredibly helpful. It does have to do with a lot of common sense solutions, but it works because it's a concrete manifestation of those thoughts. I read it in conjunction with seeing a sleep psychologist, and this book served as a great reinforcement and reminder for the time between our sessions.
Madison
Jul 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book explained in detail common tips for improving your sleep. I would recommend this book to anyone striving to improve their sleep. I would also recommend that you take your time reading it. Improving anything takes time and practice.
Aleda
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it

If you have significant problems with insomnia and are ready to make changes that might help, this book is a good place to start. The information and techniques are well-supported by research, and follow standard guidelines for insomnia treatment.
Julie
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I liked the idea and principles in this book but as I implemented them I became more anxious about my quantity of sleep and it backfired on me. Once I laid the principles to rest, I have been sleeping better. Interesting book just didn't work for me.
Rachel
Dec 17, 2011 rated it did not like it
Meh.
Linda
Sep 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Simply excellent. Backed up by research and written clearly.
Matthew Conroy
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A very helpful read for me. My insomnia is already improving.

Some of the writing style is not the way I would choose to write things, but the content seems spot on.

Rebecca
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Too textbook like for me, not what I was looking for
Heather
Oct 23, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was very helpful to people suffering with insomnia. Not the best written in the world, but was full of good suggestions that have helped me somewhat.
Brandi Sue
Sep 15, 2018
Russ
Jun 05, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Change Your Schedule, Change Your Life: How to Harness the Power of Clock Genes to Lose Weight, Optimize Your Workout, and Finally Get a Good Night's Sleep
  • Skogluft (Forest Air): The Norwegian Secret to Bringing the Right Plants Indoors to Improve Your Health and Happiness
  • Say Good Night to Insomnia: The Six-Week, Drug-Free Program Developed At Harvard Medical School
  • A Good Wife: Escaping the Life I Never Chose
  • The Psychopath Inside: A Neuroscientist's Personal Journey into the Dark Side of the Brain
  • An Easy Death (Gunnie Rose, #1)
  • By Chance Alone: A Remarkable True Story of Courage and Survival at Auschwitz