Start by marking “NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E.: Ultimate Collection” as Want to Read:
NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E.: Ultimate Collection

NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E.: Ultimate Collection

(NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E. Ultimate Collection)

RRRAAAAAGGGGGHHHHH! Action! Excitement! Explosions! The Highest Anti-Terrorism Effort, or H.A.T.E. (a subsidiary of the Beyond Corporation) put NextWave together to fight Bizarre Weapons of Mass Destruction. When NextWave discovers that H.A.T.E. and Beyond are terrorist cells themselves, and that the BWMDs were intended to kill them, they are less than pleased. In fact, th ...more
Published February 24th 2010 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E.

Eric
It could just be that I simply haven't read enough of them, but "comedy" and "funny" aren't words I associate with comics, even though comedy is the oldest genre comics and cartoons have been associated with. Comedy relies a lot on timing and delivery, which in my experience isn't easy to simulate with a series of still images with words in them. Most of the time a comic book only gets a smirk or a "heh" of amusement out of me since most comic book writers and artists just aren't as funny as the ...more
Patrick
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Want a little bit of the old ultraviolence? Looking for some sharp-edged satire? Crave banter that is witty to a near whedonesque degree?

Those things are in this thing. If you want them, you should read this.

Fin.
Cheese
Jun 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I was drawn in by the hype of this book.

This isn't really a comic with any substance, just a team on different whacky missions blowing things up.

A shame there wasn't more to it.

Otherwyrld
Sep 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Deeply subversive, often very silly and at all times totally insane. Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. takes a group of obscure Marvel heroes, sets them up as a fake anti-terrorist organisation, gives them a Nick Fury copy as their nemesis, feeds everyone huge amounts of illegal drugs, then sits back and sees what happens.

And what happens is that this band of misfits punches, kicks and blows up everything in sight, including: A clone of a green dragon called Fin Fang Foom, Giant Elvis heads that sho
Martin
Nov 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Warren Ellis obviously had a LOT of fun writing this book (maybe too much?). The irreverent spirit of Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. was mostly refreshing, however at times it seemed to me that Ellis was trying too hard. Still - I enjoyed most of the stories and the um... "threats" the team went against were imaginative. The best part was the banter between the teammates.

Art-wise, Immonen went for a style that is somewhat more stylized than his usual output and the frequent "overly-cartoony-ness"
Ann D-Vine
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nextwave are Monica Rambeau (once Captain Marvel), Aaron Stack (once Machine Man), Tabitha Smith (once Boom Boom), Elsa Bloodstone (daughter of Ulysses Bloodstone), and The Captain (The Captain). They have silly adventures together while running from, and trying to stop the nefarious plans of, an anti-terrorist organization called H.A.T.E., who are actually a terrosist organization called S.I.L.E.N.T., led by Dirk Anger, an angry, evil man with a big airship and a fractured psyche, at the behest ...more
Aaron Wiener
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
Really really funny. It’s clever, witty, edgy, juvenile, stupid, smart, gross and inappropriate. I really liked it.

The gags are varied; literary references, farts, sex jokes, political jokes and of course, self referential humor that also draws from (and shamelessly mocks) comic book lore.

The art serves the tone and vibe of the story.

The plot is deliberately stupid. Judge this one by the laughs.
Kim Dyer
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-comics
I first read Nextwave when I was in high school and I'm glad that it stands the test of time. It's just such an entertaining read. Fast paced, consistently funny and very surreal. It rarely fails to crack and smile and is just such a pleasure to read. Twelve issues is just the perfect length, breaking on a perfect final note.

Ellis reinvents a group of lesser known Marvel heroes to make them wonderfully memorable, giving them all manner of personality flaws and thrusting them together into an unl
Sailor
Feb 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I only picked this up because it was on sale at a thrift shop but I'm glad that I did.

Pros:
-the most hilarious comic I've ever read
-Elsa Bloodstone in all her British gloriousness
-The Captain was a cool character as well
-seriously, it was just funny
-people made of broccoli

Cons:
-pretty much the entire storyline
-Monica was a good leader but she was so annoying
-the villains were so random and weird

I'd recommend picking this up if you're in need of a good laugh.
Caroline
Apr 09, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
When I first started reading this, I thought it might be my favorite comic book ever. It didn't end up being quite that -- the stories are a little too slight, though not as slight as they could be in what's essentially a joke book. A lot of the jokes are very good, too, and Stuart Immonen's art is transcendent. Also, I love that Monica Rambeau is still a complete badass even in a joke book. I want her to be an Avenger again.
Kimberly [Come Hither Books]
Nextwave is a parody comic of superhero teams like the Avengers. It's zany, violent, over the top and satirical. If you go in expecting drama and responsible commentary, you'll be disappointed. But when you're in the mood for something profoundly ridiculous, Nextwave: Agents of Hate is a lot of fun.

Recommended for comic book fans looking for a laugh.
Nikki
Feb 19, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one wondering what the fuck I just read. It's reassuring. This is just... nuts. It might've helped if I knew the characters before (I only knew Monica Rambeau), though I don't know... this just seemed to be mostly a massive parody of the genre. An affectionate one, I think, but still a parody.

Fun, anyway, but. What the hell did I just read?
Jean Ramsay
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
Where is the movie adaption of this? It is a thousand times more interesting and relevant than any of the Marvel movies. It has the wit and filthy mouth of Deadpool and implies heavily that Captain America is gay. It has a female POC as its leader. Its all shiny blowing things up. There are more women then men in this team. And it has a really good theme song.

I DEMAND THIS MOVIE.
Roy
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was something different for two reasons
-the mock on comics and comedy throughout. I haven't read anything along these lines before. Just a really clever and funny story.
-also Ellis doing something a little different. I actually prefer his writing this way who would have thought.
J.G. Keely
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, humor, capes
Most of the times, comics do not benefit from deep and patient consideration. The vast majority owe their popularity to a world of powerless men trapped in a work-a-day world that provides them little pride and less edification. Readers of history often fantasize about living in another age, readers of travelogues imagine impossibly pricey vacations, and fans of Romance want an 'unbound pillar of desire', which I think is a piece by Rodin.

Likewise, many comic readers have been happy for little m
Dan
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, comics
This book would've been completed in one sitting were it not for the need to sleep.
I don't know why it took this many years for me to finally get around to reading this, but now I'm bummed there's no more. Laugh out loud funny throughout, and featuring yet another character seemingly inspired by Hunter S. Thompson (surely that's who Dirk Anger is channeling, right?), I need to not second guess Ellis' company work anymore (and seek out his Thunderbolts and Secret Avengers runs, too).
Mike
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of my favourite books of all time - sarcastic, silly and takes very little of itself seriously. Awesome fun read - the kind of comics I wish more people were talented enough to write. I literally cackle with glee.
Andy
May 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2010
"Let's save America by beating up everything we see."

It's hard not to like a comic with an attitude like that. Nextwave: Agents of H.A.T.E. pokes fun at just about every superhero comic ever published and is often funny, but unfortunately goes on for too long.
Keith
Mar 28, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Man, when I was in my 20's I friggin' LOVED NextWave.

LOOOOOOVED it.

LOOOOOOOOOOOVED it.

I thought it was the funniest shit in the world.

But I also loved Kevin Smith movies, for example, for being the funniest shit in the world.

For no apparent reason whatsoever, this just feels like a really dated book. It's not that the jokes are un-PC or anything. It just feels reeeally early aughts to me. Very bleached tips. Very Josie and the Pussycats: The Movie. Very Fantastic Four 2.

But the art is gorgeous
Antonio Ceté
Nov 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
He desayunado buñuelos de viento y luego me he leído esto: igual de bueno o mejor que hace diez años.
Elinor Master of Gifs
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
TROP. FUN.
Jason
Sep 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018
What a complete and utter waste of time.
Pete
Jul 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: funny-stuff, monsters
Brawhahahahaha!!!!! This is a ridiculous, tongue-in-cheek superhero book. Ellis is a master at this type of writing. Think of it as PG-13 Transmet type humor. It’s all a joke including the “H.A.T.E MAIL” letters page and the “previously on” q&a page. It’s butt kicking mixed with heavy satire.

Shout out to Fin Fang Foom for rocking some purple undies and Machine Man for having an insatiable thirst for beer. You do you homies.
Jedhua
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Book Info: This collection contains Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E. issues #1-12.

OVERALL RATING:

------------------------------------------------

Review for Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 1: This is What They Want

ABSOLUTE RATING: {3.5/5 stars} (Rounded Down)

STANDARDIZED RATING: <4/5 stars>

Review for Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2: I Kick Your Face
Jedhua
Jul 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Book Info: This collection contains Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E. issues #1-12.

OVERALL RATING:

------------------------------------------------

Review for Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 1: This is What They Want

ABSOLUTE RATING: {3.5/5 stars} (Rounded Down)

STANDARDIZED RATING: <4/5 stars>

Review for Nextwave, Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 2: I Kick Your Face
Chris  - Quarter Press Editor
Jun 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I kinda loved this comic. I'd read it long ago and had collected through issue six of the single issues--until I had to give up comic collecting for financial reasons. So when I finally tracked this collection down, I was excited, then proceeded to let it sit on my shelf for more than a year.

Having finally read through the whole of it, I loved it just as much as I remembered. The humor is wonderful, the art is fantastic, and it's just plain fun.

Are you going to get a deeper truth to life? Are yo
Lono
Apr 18, 2014 rated it liked it
Fun book. More light hearted than my typical tastes, but enjoyable. Might be a little low brow for some. I enjoy a good poop or dick joke so I was amused. Warren seemed to be having a good time writing it. Ellis uses parodies of existing characters and familiar backdrops to poke fun at classic Marvel characters with some success. The comparisons made in previous reviews to the "Whedonesque" flavor of the dialogue is also pretty accurate. Immonen's art is nice and he draws the entire series. Boug ...more
Owen
So much fun! Characters old and new in an adventure giving the people what they want in every issue …EXPLOSIONS! Somehow, Ellis and Immonen top themselves every issue to bring forth a superhero adventure of intelligent wackiness.

My only complaint was that there is an interaction between one of the characters and a policeman which would go very differently if written by many black people …even back then. The incongruence took me out of the story …briefly.
Jason
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nextwave is one of those must reads. Even for non comic book fans. It is easily one of my favorite things Ellis has ever done. It is most of those things your mother was worried about when you where a kid..and that is what makes it fantastic. It is crude and hilarious and every time you think it can't get more outrageous..it does.
Joseph
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Borrowed from Karen

If it had gone on much longer, I think it's silliness would have gotten a little too grating, but this was a fun, flippant read with a few moments of real genius. The final, epic battle presented as a series of identically-structured splash panels was pretty clever, and I enjoyed the way the book tweaked its superhero role models without obsessing over it.
  • Doctor 13: Architecture and Mortality
  • Jack Kirby's Fourth World Omnibus, Vol. 3
  • Astonishing X-Men: Ultimate Collection, Volume 2
  • The Best of the Spirit
  • Alias, Vol. 1 Omnibus
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more

NextWave, Agents of H.A.T.E. (2 books)
  • NextWave: Agents of H.A.T.E., Vol. 1: This is What They Want