Start by marking “A Rogue of My Own (Reid Family, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Rogue of My Own (Reid Family, #3)

A Rogue of My Own (Reid Family #3)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  5,118 Ratings  ·  281 Reviews

In #1 New York Times bestselling author Johanna Lindsey’s captivating novel, an innocent young lady’s fi rst brush with royal court intrigue lands her at the altar alongside one of London’s most notorious rogues.

It was the chance of a lifetime. . . .

For Lady Rebecca Marshall, a whirlwind of excitement begins when she becomes a maid of honor at the court of Queen Victor

Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 16th 2009 by Brilliance Audio (first published June 1st 2009)

Lov'em
Aug 04, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I can't give this book more than one star for three main reasons:

1. 2/3 of the way into the book I'd yet to find any reason why these two shouldn't just walk away and forget the other existed. They argued and tried to spite each other through most of the book. And yet at the end the reader is suppose to believe that suddenly all is forgotten and they live HEA.

2. I couldn't stand the female lead. She was so annoying and whiny.

3. If I find myself laughing my butt off during an intimate scene and r
Diana
Sep 23, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Really, this book should be called "A Rogue! Of My Own!" ! !!!! (JL loves her some exclamations. DC prefers to not see them).

I keep doing this. I pick up a JL book, thinking it sounds interesting. And it always does. And then I read it. And it stops being interesting after the first chapter. Even worse is when I'm re-reading a JL book because I didn't recognize it at first. Clearly, she has staying power in my mind.

This book was full of "you're lying to me because I'm a spy and I can't trust an
Caroline
May 25, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A crudely stitched patchwork of mismatched pieces.

The arrival of Rebecca Marshall at Buckingham Palace as a new maid of honor and the details of personal and political intrigues at the court of Queen Victoria were refreshingly different, but as the narrative rushed nowhere and finally disintegrated, I was left wondering about the authenticity of the historical detail.

First impressions of Rebecca are of a beautiful, intelligent, and self-assured lady, sparking anticipation of her part in the sto
Rosanne
May 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Lots of "!!!!!" in this book. Was a bit off-setting. The characters were likable. But the "love" aspect hardly believable. More like both parties just found each other sexy. Therefore they wanted sex. Overall somewhat flat.
Kasey
While I liked this story and the characters I was a little disappointed with Lindsey in this book. There was some use of language so obviously out of that time frame that I actually had to pause and think about what I was reading. I wouldn't necessarily expect perfection in language, but the use of current slang for something set in this time frame is outrageous. Besides that the story was off to a good start. I still thought I was going to like it more. I actually liked both Becca and Rupert. T ...more
Aftergloh
Jan 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not Like this one at all, and I am A HUGE fan of Her Work. To me this one Had too many negatives for me to Even attempt to read it all the way through. I made it half way through if that...and that was Pushing it.
The Main Male Character Was Extremely Unlikable IMO. One of his first encounters With the Main Female, he grabs her breasts. Big turn off, and he was Way to Cocky and full of himself for me to even attempt to like him.
The Female in the book seemed Like she was mentally too young. Sc
Lisa
There are basically two kinds of books. Ones where when I go to change the audiobook CD and see that there are still many discs to go I rejoice, and ones in which that same knowledge makes me cringe. Unfortunately, this book was in the latter category.

(view spoiler)
Magpie67
I do enjoy a good spy book with witty, scandalous reasons... Queen Victoria has a small group of men who are always looking for spies amongst the guests or court appointed positions. The place, Buckingham Palace. The political regime is the Tories vs the Whigs. The Tories (Conservatives) being in power at the moment. Rebecca will be a maid of honor on the Queen's court, an elite spot according to her own mother. When the Whigs were in power, Lilly didn't have a chance to be on the court as her f ...more
Dione Sage
This is the first Johanna Lindsey book I have read. I wasn't disappointed in 'A Rogue of My Own' although the spy scenes in my opinion were a little lacking in thrill and adventure but I suppose that is a bit much to expect from a historical romance novel or at least the ones I have read. In my opinion a great historical romance fiction novel is made great by a few factors. One the characters must be charming. I believe the characters in this book were pretty likable up until the end where I fel ...more
Joan
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Jan 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of historical romance
Shelves: romance, read-in-2010
The Lindsey formula has been varied a bit for this one, but it's still very good. The Victorian era setting made a nice change from all the Regency historicals we've been bombarded with.

This is a book of assumptions, miscommunications, and not getting a message through because of turning emotional ... on the part of both protagonists. I found the villain of the final scene to be contrived, the book would have worked well without that.

One thing that bothered me is that the heroine has a lot of sp
Melissa Andrews
After I finished this book I was really upset that I'd bought it and not Menonnite in a Black Dress or A Good Indian Wife or one of the other books I perused while waiting for a delayed plane.

The characters annoyed me - everything worked out too easily at the end, and it was just flat. I think I've read other Lindsey books and may have enjoyed them, but this one didn't do it for me. That's what I get for not getting to the library before traveling and being forced to buy something in the airport
Heather
Jul 21, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i feel wrong even givin this 2stars.
why dont u just tell us everything that happens n the book while ur at it? i mean,cud u possibly get a more revealing description? wut surprises cud we possibly have wen we know the whole storyline?
modern things-
out with the old,in w/the new.snub.commode stand.smidgen.i beg2differ.all thumbs.scatterbrained. cart my clothes all over the place.primping. dumbstruck.awestruck.hounded him.backfire. wiry build.
she also uses completely modern expressions like "i swea
Saiema Marium
The book “A Rogue of My Own” by Johanna Lindsey involves a love affair between Lady Rebecca Marshall and marquis Rupert St. John. Rebecca comes from a noble family and is appointed to be the maid of honor in the court of Queen Victoria. Being the maid of honor is the greatest opportunity of Rebecca’s life, and she is both excited and intimidated by the prospect. She arrives in the palace and is instantly drawn in the conspiracy between the Queen’s professional spymaster, Nigel and a noblewoman c ...more
Nana
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Baru sekali nemu buku Johanna Lindsey yang gue suka. Hahahaha. Walau blurbnya agak2 menyesatkan sih karena cerita ini nggak se-hot novel JH yang sebelum2nya gue baca. Lebih banyak main tarik-ulur emosi ketimbang olahraga ranjangnya. Tapi dari segi jalan ceritanya, gue lebih suka yang kayak gini.
Ini ceritanya tentang intrik-intrik yang ada di dalam istana kerajaan Inggris, antara dayang dan agen rahasia. Dan tokoh utama novel ini, Rebecca, nggak sengaja terjebak di antaranya ketika dia disuruh d
Karen
Jan 11, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My "escape" reading, which is total smut, is Johanna Lindsay--romance novels. I actually own every novel she's written and have reread most of them. There's my dirty little secret!

Good point! I feel like a quitter if I don't finish a book that I've started, which is kinda weird.

Some that I've loved lately: "Under the Banner of Heaven" by Jon Krakauer and "Freakonomics" I've read twice. Really enjoyed "The Help" and "Cane River" by Lalita Tademy.

Did not care for "The Red Tent" at all. One that
Jonel Boyko
Aug 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful tale! Lindsey works so many different elements into this story that she keeps her readers on the tip of their toes. She weaves a captivating tale amidst the hustle and bustle of court life, complete with intrigue and rogues, while painting a brilliant picture of life at the time.

I absolutely fell in love with the main characters in this novel. Not only were they well developed and likeable individually, but put them together and the sparks fly. The simultaneous clashing and mes
Jupiterl79
Apr 08, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I WANT MY DAMN MONEY BACK! THATS'S ALL I CAN SAY! THIS BOOK IS ONE OF THE WORST BOOK I'VE EVER READ IN MY LIFE! I'VE READ A LOT OF BAD BOOK BUT THE ENDING ALWAYS SATISFY ME IN SOME WAY BUT THE BOOK IS BAD TO THE END! I DON'T EVEN WANT TO GIVE THIS BOOK A STAR. IF I COULD, I WANT TO GIVE IT A MINUS 5 STARS! THERE WAS NO LOVE ANYWHERE! REBECCA IS STUPID THROUGH OUT THE BOOK! SHE KEEPS FALLING BACK FOR RUBERT REGARDLESS OF HOW MEAN RUBERT WAS TO HER! AND THEN SHE FORGAVE HIM LIKE IT WAS NOTHING?!!! ...more
Alease
Aug 05, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Johanna Lindsey book. I read it in a day, it was a good guilty pleasure. It is nice to have a book that doesn't work your brain too much and just let you relish in a romance. I'm not usually a romance reader, this is my first one but I'm sure I'll look into another of her books. I liked that the characters tried to fight their feelings for one another and bickered. It gave it just enough reality, because isn't that what most people do when they fall in love, try to pretend that ...more
Sandy
Jul 06, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Here is my review of "A Rogue of My Own", written in the author's own style:

"Rebecca is a newly appointed maid of honor in the court of Queen Victoria. She gets caught up in a thinly-constructed ring of spying in the court with a guy who is so beautiful she calls him The Angel! So they sleep together, and she ends up pregnant, but he doesn't believe her so he treats her like a whore who's trying to trick him into marriage. But the hilarious thing is, they do get engaged, and he still hates her!
rivka

I do not understand how someone gets to be as popular an author as this one is without the ability to do proper historical research (the royal pregnancy would imply 1841, but other data presented contradicts that quite sharply); to use appropriate language (seriously, Victorian characters did NOT say "guess what!" or "whom did he think he was kidding?"); to manage to have plots that made sense -- at least by the time the book ended; and characters that were believable, likable, and thre
Lourdes
Ok…so I love all these books. I read this in no time – it is lite and entertaining. I do have to admit though that I was a little disappointed. The book starts off okay, with a lot of detail. A lot of talk about the political parties of the time, but then it goes nowhere with it. It feels like it wants to be way more than it is. It gives you a lot at the beginning and then you hit a wall. The focus shifts completely and all the potential is lost. So much could have been done with the secondary c ...more
Verónica Tapia
Jul 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Por lo general no escribo reseñas, pero de este libro lo haré. Lo compré porque aparentaba ser un librito romántico ubicado en la época Victoriana y eso me agradaba. La época o el que la protagonista sea dama de honor de la reina es absolutamente irrelevante en la historia.
Malos personajes sin personalidad o con una personalidad odiosa. Mala historia sin argumento sólido. Todo el libro los protagonistas se odian y se aman en las últimas 30 hojas. ¿En serio?
Detalles irrelevantes durante toooodo
Judy
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 of 4 of the Reid Family series.. And a nice, happy ending story for Rupert St John.

Johanna Lindsey is like my favorite viand - longganisa.. That happy feeling you get from eating comfort food after a long day. Even if her novels are predictable, formulaic in a lost genre (historical romance), there is still enough to make you be "there" with her heroines. 4th star because any of her books take me back to 18-25 year old Judy (when the world was young haha)..
Pamela(AllHoney)
Johanna Lindsey is and has been for many years one of my favorite authors. While I agree some of her more recent work isn't quite as good as some of her earlier work I still enjoy it. This story set a nice pace, balancing the romance with a touch of intrigue and humor. My main complaint with this story was the short ending and then no epilogue.
Yola NY
kesel banget bacanya. apalagi sama karakter rupert dan rebecca. ckckck, awalnya mereka ketemu pas momen yg gak asik banget sih, trus sjk itu mulai deh saling curiga masing2. nah si rebecca pas tengah2 buku udah mulai ngalah lah, eh nyatanya si rupert masih jugaaa negatif thingking ke rebecca. ckckckck, teteeep sampai 7/8 buku nih masih kesel abis ama rupert. huh!
Pam
Mar 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story started a bit slow but once the h starts helping Ruepert the sparks fly!
I became irritated with the H because he refused to believe the h about something. Because of his unbelief he would be very sarcastic and mean (verbally). I just wanted to smack him! He does eventually believe her and they get their HEA.
Galena Sanz
Esta novela estuvo mejor de lo que esperaba, me entretuvo pero la verdad es que no fue más allá. Tanto la trama como los personajes son sencillos, sin ninguna complejidad y no es una historia que cale en el lector, así que se postula en mi listado de lecturas como un libro entretenido y poco más.
Rebekah
Ms. Lindsey I have enjoyed your books in the past and will enjoy them in the future. But please I beg you, brush up on your basic grammar skills. The constantly misused explanation points are wearing.
Kristiana S
Dibaca untuk Romance RC 2016
Tema : Trip to Europe

• Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • Tempted All Night (Neville Family, #4)
  • Sunrise with a Notorious Lord (Lords of Vice, #4)
  • Castles (Crown's Spies #4)
  • The Ideal Bride (Cynster, #11)
  • Once Tempted (Danvers, #3)
  • River Lady (James River Trilogy, #3)
  • Lyon's Gate (Brides, #9)
  • Promise Me Forever
  • The Border Vixen (The Border Chronicles, #5)
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...

Reid Family (4 books)
  • The Heir (Reid Family, #1)
  • The Devil Who Tamed Her (Reid Family, #2)
  • Let Love Find You (Reid Family, #4)
“Anytime,anywhere,ask,and I am yours.” 18 likes
“I never thought I’d say I’m so very glad you’re a rogue instead of an angel. But I suppose it’s all right as long as you’re my rogue

- Rebecca -”