Start by marking “There Goes the Bride (Agatha Raisin, #20)” as Want to Read:
There Goes the Bride (Agatha Raisin, #20)

There Goes the Bride (Agatha Raisin #20)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  3,502 Ratings  ·  309 Reviews
Much as it goes against the grain, Agatha Raisin is trying to be a good sport. Even though her ex-husband James Lacey's upcoming marriage to the beautiful Felicity Bross-Tilkington fills her heart with dread, she takes a break from her successful detective agency to attend the wedding. It seems like a good idea at the time—especially since Agatha's had her sights on the tr ...more
Published September 29th 2009 by Minotaur Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about There Goes the Bride, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about There Goes the Bride

Kathy
Finally, I've finished by Agatha Raisin reading blitz of the whole series (until the new one comes out in October). I have to admit, because after the first one I wasn't sure I would like the character, that I am now a big Agatha Raisin fan. I enjoyed her emotional and social growth throughout the series, and I think it was an advantage in reading straight through the series to fully appreciate that growth. Her humanity was somewhat lacking in the beginning, but Agatha has done a lot of growing ...more
Jenny L
Sep 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-books
Read them! All of them. All 23. They are simply fabulous! I love them and love Agatha Raisin. The stories are set in the English Cotswolds - which is where I'm from, so that makes them extra special, but I cannot recommend them highly enough. If you want to read about an opinionated, outspoken, headstrong single woman in her middle years with no money worries, but men worries and murder at every turn, then you too will love Agatha Raisin. Just make sure you buy more than one at a time, because y ...more
Damaskcat
Mar 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin's former husband, James Lacey is getting married. Agatha has mixed feelings about this event and to take her mind off it she decides she has fallen for a glamorous Frenchman she met at James' engagement party. All the series characters are invited to James' wedding but it seems all is not well with the happy couple and precisely what is the glamorous Frenchman up to?

This is an intriguing mystery with plenty of action and some nail biting scenes in which it seems Agatha just may hav
Berit☀️✨
Agatha's love life was quite a hot mess in this book....
Agatha going to a dating service was absolutely priceless! Every date Agatha had in this book was quite hilarious.... and this book made me think once again that Agatha and Charles really do belong together, even though Charles is such a selfish ass.... there was quite a lot going on in this book, and as I've mentioned in other reviews I truly like the addition of Tony and Sharon now as well, I like the dynamic of the youth with Agatha.....
bella
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trouble (and murder!) seem to follow Agatha Raisin around. This time when Agatha attends her ex-husband's wedding she doesn't expect the bride to turn up dead, but that is exactly what happens. While Agatha isn't sure how she feels about James Lacey, her ex-husband and on-and-off again crush, she certainly doesn't wish his fiance dead. When Felicity Bross-Tilkington turns up dead right before the "I Do's" the policy point their fingers at Agatha and it's up to Agatha to prove her innocence.

I lov
Erin L
Jan 28, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-british
I'm in the middle of the next book in the series, having just finished this one. Honestly, I feel like the author is just phoning it in at this point.

While I do still see some character development in Agatha, she still makes the same mistakes again and again. And at the end of this book, there were entire chapters devoted to completely pointless crap. I know why it was put in there, but I also strongly suspect it was mostly added to make the book an acceptable length. It also felt contrived and
Emily Cullen
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Agatha's ex-husband is getting married again and Agatha begrudgingly attends, but the wedding is not to be as the bride is shot to death. Knowing Agatha's reputation, the bride's parents ask her to investigate. I took a break from reading the Agatha Raisin mystery series and was delighted to plunge back in again! This is the perfect English village mystery and Agatha is a perfectly unlikeable character. She's not all bad actually, and I enjoy this middle-age woman ever in search of love. I'm loo ...more
Ella Dijle (book.monkey)
This was fantastic, it kept me guessing throughout the whole book keeping me interested the whole time, though I did find occasionally that i found Agatha to be a bit of a grumpy old woman but for the most part she was portrayed as what ever 50 year old woman should be like, enthusiastic and energetic.
I do enjoy reading new crime writers because it means I'm not used to the way they write their characters. I do realise I started on the 20th book but I'm not planning on reading the others any ti
Connie
Feb 05, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I love listening to the Agatha Raisin books but in the latest, There goes the Bride, the reader has changed. I have nothing against in fact I like Penelope Keith but she is not the reader I have come to associate with Agatha Raisin. Only listened to one disk.
Cyndi
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
James plans on remarrying but then murder arrives, with Agatha, of course. Most people just bring a crockpot as a gift.
Sam Wilkinson
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun to read adventure with Agatha. Humorous descriptions, outrageous behaviour, peril, and a bodycount to rival a thriller, all of Agatha's nearest and dearest put in appearances to save various days, whilst Agatha is her usual self. I think in real life, Agatha would infuriate me, but on the page, she's utterly lovable.
writer...
Difficulties with the hoopla version quitting interrupted listening though the mysteries of the storyline kept my interest.

Language the usual issue.
Lauren
In this book, Agatha Raisin, private detective, finds herself the prime suspect in a thrilling murder involving her ex-husbands fiancé. On her ex’s big wedding day, the bride-to-be, a whiny young women far out of her ex’s league, is found murdered in her bedroom. What unfolds is a scandalous mystery full of international crime and intrigue with Agatha right at its center.

I did not realize at the time that this book was part of a series (quite a long one, in fact – this was book #20!), which made
Ali
Dec 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Agatha's former husband James is engaged to be married to a beautiful, young woman and Agatha has been kindly invited to the wedding. To take her mind off this, Agatha decides she has fallen for Sylvan, a Frenchman she met at James' engagement party. To distract her still further she decides upon a holiday and flies to Istanbul, where unfortunately she bumps into James and his fiancee not once but twice - convincing him she is stalking them. So when the bride is murdered on her wedding day, natu ...more
Mary
Jan 28, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this series because it is just great fun....and because it is set in England. Reading it is rather like listening to rock and roll after listening to a Mahler Symphony. This newest book is rather more abrupt in its twists and turns.

Agatha’s former husband James is engaged to be married to a beautiful, young woman and Agatha has been kindly invited to the wedding. To take her mind off this, Agatha decides she has fallen for Sylvan, a Frenchman she met at James’ engagement party. To distra
Georgiann Hennelly
Agatha Raisin is unlucky in love, yet she,s hopelessly romantic. Her exhusband James Lacey is getting married to the beautiful Felicity Bross-Tilkington and it fills Agatha heart with dread. She reluntly takes time from from her successful detective agency to to attend the wedding. Even though she has her sights set on a new man handsome beguiling French man Sylvan. But when the bride is shot and killed moments before the wedding. And Agatha is named the prime suspect . Toni stands ready to help ...more
Tiffunee
Agatha Raisin is unlucky in love, yet she’s hopelessly romantic. Her ex-husband James Lacey is getting married to the beautiful Felicity Bross-Tilkington and it fills Agatha heart with dread. She reliantly takes time from her successful detective agency to attend the wedding.

Even though she has her sights set on a new man handsome beguiling French man Sylvan. But when the bride is shot and killed moments before the wedding. And Agatha is named the prime suspect.

This is the 1st book I've read i
Linda
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love the Agatha Raisin series! What a hoot. Mean-spirited Agatha isn't happy when her ex-husband, James, is about to marry a beautiful young heiress, but she certainly isn't the one who shot the bride before she could say, "I do." However, Agatha is the main suspect. Once again Agatha and her detective agency bumble their way through the investigation to find the killer. M.C. Beaton has wonderfully drawn characters.
Bea Anita
Agatha Raisin is my favorite fictional fifty-something, she reminds me I'm not alone in this world of sore bones, sagging skin, and the lust for adventure. M.C. Beaton never fails me when I'm in need of a light read. I hope she has a storehouse of Agatha Raisins and Hamish MacBeths waiting to emerge.
Linette
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although I love Agatha Raisin and continue to read these because of her, the stories have become somewhat formulaic and shallow, rushing through entire relationships beginning to end sometimes in a few pages.
Angela
excellent. truly good stuff
Mavis Hewitt
May 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
I consider this series light reading, slightly predictable and far fetched, don't think the later books in the series are as good as the earlier ones.
Jacula
Nov 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Number 20 in the Agatha series and eagerly awaiting by me, my Mum and her neighbour. Light reading, as is the entire series, but enjoyable. Read it in a matter of hours.
Paula
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had not read an Agatha Raisin book in awhile. I don't think this one was as good as some I have read, but it was a highly enjoyable read. Agatha rarely disappoints!
Priscilla Herrington
I discovered M.C. Beaton in my local library when I was looking for audio CDs to listen to in the car. I don't know how I had not read anything by her before - she's British, writes detective fiction with a female detective - Agatha - who is, to put it mildly, a character - just the sort of book I enjoy for escapist reading! And Beaton has been writing a book or more a year for at least 20 years!

Agatha is divorced; she lives next door to her exhusband with whom she has a complicated relationship
Plum-crazy
I think I'm nearing the end of my dealings with ol' Aggie. There wasn't really anything wrong with the story, indeed that was probably the problem - it was just the same as all the previous ones!

Maybe it's because I've not read one for a while but the old-fashionedness (ie the ladies of the village calling each other Mrs Whatever) & the characters speech in general, both of which had previously seemed quaint, this time, IMHO, seemed to be in need of up-dating. It would be fine if the story
Valerie
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Agatha Raisin and her obsessions are getting on my nerves. She is less endearing as the books go on. Her obsession with James Lacey is something that warrants her attending counseling, and her jealousy of her young pretty employee is such a cliche of how "older" women are. I'm all about quirky characters but through 20 books this character has not grown or developed past a neurotic middle age nasty woman. She continues to insult her friends, tries to manipulates people's lives and thinks her ex ...more
Maria
Sep 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A book that made me miss Agatha Christie horribly and made me re-consider all my 1 star ratings. It's hard to compete with the queen of crime novels. So I get it that some writers want to stay very clear off that path. I get that an anti-hero with loads of personal issues might have its own charm. But there's nothing charming about this Agatha. Some situations can be seen as comical. But not even this direction is explored enough. I've seen this approach done perfectly in other detective series. ...more
Gilbert G.
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My only wish is that Ms Raisin would find a truly good bloke. She is so very needy it at times becomes aggravating. The mysteries with their twists and turns are still enjoyable and make the books worth reading. As usual there are a number of very funny situations that Agatha finds herself in and thanks to her good friends and employees/friends she always ends up shining like a silver dollar.
I think I truly enjoy these books because they are extremely fast reads and don't require a great deal o
Sarah Davies
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book in the Agatha Raisin Series.

Agatha is invited to James's (Agatha's ex husband) wedding, why would she go and put herself through it??

While waiting at the church for the bride to arrive police arrive and take James away!!! His bride to be has been murdered and James is a suspect, and so might Agatha.

This was a good addition to the series with Agatha seeming to grow up a bit through the story and also to realise that life doesn't revolve around her.
  • Hasty Death (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #2)
  • Getting Old Is to Die For (Gladdy Gold, #4)
  • The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)
  • Gunpowder Plot (Daisy Dalrymple, #15)
  • Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #3)
  • Evanly Bodies (Constable Evans, #10)
  • The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Speaks Her Mind (Mrs. Jeffries, #27)
  • Murder On Monday
  • Wicked Witch Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #16)
  • The Italian Baker
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)