Start by marking “The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift” as Want to Read:
The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift

The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift

You can feel it when it hits you. Your face flushes and your vision narrows. Your heartbeat increases as judgmental thoughts flood your mind. Your anger has been triggered, and you're about to say or do something that will likely make it worse.

You have an alternative. By practicing the Nonviolent Communication (NVC) process you can use that anger to serve a specific, life
Published April 1st 2005 by PuddleDancer Press (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Surprising Purpose of Anger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surprising Purpose of Anger

Start your review of The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift
Trista
Jul 13, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anybody
Shelves: teeter-library
Ah, Dr. Rosenberg. I wish someone had pointed me towards you LONG ago. Alas, I am extremely grateful for your work. If anyone reads this review, I highly recommend reading his original book Non-Violent Communication (also you can YouTube 'rosenberg san francisco' and get a 3 hour lecture/conference that he gave that is amazing and sums the book up quite well).
Rosie Nguyễn
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
A useful and practical guide on the reasons behind anger. And how we can express anger in a way that not to hurt others and meanwhile increase the chance for our needs to be met. Sure, easier said than done, and it may takes a long time to practice. But it's worth a try (maybe two, or three).
Julie
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read (and loved Nonviolent Communication). It revolutionized my disagreements with my spouse and have is a new language to help us get unstuck in sons long-standing disagreements. This book never gave a convincing argument for the benefits of anger and ends up feeling more like anger is not a valuable emotion (though he explicitly says the opposite). I still love Marshal Rosenberg's approach, it just doesn't seem meaty enough here.
MizzSandie
Yes yes yes.
If we could all learn to use anger as a warning signal of needs not met and communicate these needs with responsibility and honesty and respect for ourselves and the other, then... the world would be a different and more peaceful place.
Let’s.
If this was taught to kids all over then we could take this world to another level. A better level.
NoTra
Dec 04, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
L'impression de lire une vieille revue américaine faisant l'apologie d'un gourou.
Ishraq
I came across self-awareness and needs when we had a three months training on Business Relational needs at work and how to build your self-awareness of your needs and the needs of the others so most of the ideas and terms discussed in this booklet was very familiar and was very easy for me to connect to them.

Marshal Rosenberg is trying to communicate to us that through non-violent communication (NVC) we can understand anger and turn these feelings into constructive actions rather than suppress t
Mark Manderson
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm finding the material Dr Rosenberg puts out is incredible. The premise of this book:
The stimulus or trigger of our anger is not the cause of our anger. Simply be clear what the stimulus is but not to mix it up with judgements or evaluation.
4 Steps in Managing Anger:

- OBSERVATIONS: Identify the stimulus of anger without confusing it with the evaluation.
- FEELINGS: Identify the internal image or judgment that is making us angry.
- NEEDS: Transform the judgemental image into the need that it is e
Adil
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Short book you can use as a reminder of a very basic issues regarding anger: It often stems from a particular kind of appraisal (which can be changed) and it's direct expression is often destructive but if you use it as an alarm, it serves really well to direct you to the heart of the matter, which is typically an unmet need. I find this to be quite consistent with some essential insights/ideas regarding emotions in psychological science, as well as my understanding of human motivation. Many peo ...more
Vladimir Tarasov
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: communication
The essence of the NVC principles makes me feel contradictory. From the one hand they represents the gentle and non-violent way of communication the very need of the person, but from the other, the power to change things, to change people way of thinking arises from the strong feelings.

Knowing the fact that strong unpleasant feelings have the other background than just emotions will help me to improve myself.
Rajiv
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is short book but in brief it explains the reason we get angry is due to our unmet needs, and if we try to communicate in anger, failure is guaranteed. Author teaches to explore more deeper within us to find the root cause of anger or the sponsoring thought that arouse those feeling. He believes in healing and not repressing anger. I recommend.
Susie
Easier said than done.

In my own life, I have been dealt personality types that make this process damn near impossible. I have expressed my needs, as the book states, have even empathized with other parties and they just don't get it. And they never will so, I have given up.
Alba
Vi este libro en la biblioteca y me decidí a cogerlo porque ya había visto este vídeo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C50SD... Es un libro cortito y no aporta mucha novedad a las ideas del vídeo, que en esencia me parecen buenas, pero ahonda más en lo que dice el título, así que engañar no engaña. Da lo que ofrece.

Nos pasamos la vida enfadados y pensando que el resto del mundo es malísimo, acumulando agravio tras agravio y montándonos películas sobre lo que los demás planean u opinan. Obviamen
GeHaD
Mar 27, 2018 added it
- There is always, between the trigger and the anger, some thought process that is going on.
- Fully expressing the anger means not that I just express these deep feelings behind it, but to have this person get it.
"it's not enough to just pour that out. I need them to get it; I need them to hear it, empathically."
- I'm not saying that it is wrong to judge people . . . what's important is to be conscious that it's that judgment that makes us angry.
- Use the words “I feel because I . . .” to remi
Dina
May 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
All anger is expression of unmet needs. It goes like this: need, judgement, anger. If you get to the core of the need, you take away the blame of others to which need of yours is not being met. There is a chance if you explain this to other person, he might hear you out and meet it, if not try to get to the bottom of his unmet needs that prevents him from meeting yours. A lot of patience is needed. When you get angry, don't react right away, but take time and analyze what is the trigger behind t ...more
Frank Becker
Ein Heftchen als Schnelleinführung in GFK mit Focus auf Wut/Ärger.
Angenehm kurz aber trotzdem verständlich und mit vielen Beispielen. Mir ist aber [noch?] überhaupt nicht klar, wie man das im realen Leben hinbekommen will. "Sich mit seinen Bedürfnissen verbinden" klingt gut, aber auch irgendwie esotherisch.

Ich probier' es trotzdem demnächst bei den Kindern statt mit "RUHÄÄÄ!" mal mit "Mir ist aufgefallen, dass du sehr laut redest. Das tut meinen Ohren weh. Da ich nicht gern Schmerzen habe würde
Amy
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Root of Anger

The one thing that has been holding me back the most from finding my Zen, is my anger. This was an extremely mind opening way to consider the root of anger. It has been impossible & make me feel horrible thinking that anger was unnatural and repressible. It's about showing down and getting in touch with our deepest emotions. I've felt so angry with this unfair world and life, but this has given me hope that there is more than just being angry all the time.
Julieta
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Introducción a por qué estás enojado

Es un mini libro preciso que te muestra como la rabia es un llamado de atención que de prestarle atención te da el regalo de la paz y la opción de ayudarte a ti y a otros
Barbara
Jun 28, 2019 rated it liked it
I love this author but I wish he’d written actual books instead of publishing transcripts of workshops
Mason
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love Marshall, love the important distinction between anger (valid but unproductive) and other productive emotions.
Anna
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Indeed surprising. Goes along with Non-violent communication, can be read before the main book I guess.
Hasti Khodakarami
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
It's a nice useful book, but gets a little boring towards the end as it repeats the same concept over and over again.
Ilaria
Mar 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breve ma efficace introduzione ai principi della comunicazione non violenta. Pillole di suggerimenti per trasformare la forza distruttrice della rabbia in occasione di crescita personale.
Lettore da Corriera
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
It gaves you a good job to do after reading
Chiara Schiró
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un piccolo riassunto de ‘le parole sono finestre oppure muri’ dello stesso autore
Cherie Zhou
Oct 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 二零一七
A straight to the point and well structured small book. Very helpful.
Billie Schramm
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extremely accessible and not another "just breathe" approach to anger management. Definitely worth the short time it takes to read.
Ashraf Bashir
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
I love this book, instead of the impossible methodology which is very popular now, which says: "do not express your anger, and do your best to avoid it coming out of you", which is clearly proven to be impossible, the book uses a different idea, it is redirecting this feeling and mapping it to a different feeling, and dude, go on express your feeling clearly.

I tried this method two days ago, and wow! it does really work! very easy, very practical and leads to awesome results. The only point whic
Maurizio Codogno
Marshall Rosenberg fondò il Centro per la Comunicazione Nonviolenta; il suo punto di partenza è che la rabbia è il risultato di qualche nostro bisogno insoddisfatto che nascondiamo con un comportamento violento verso gli altri anziché chiedersi qual è la causa dello stimolo che ha portato alla crisi di rabbia. Questo è uno dei tanti libretti da lui scritti: la mia impressione è che nonostante il numero ridotto di pagine il testo sia ancora troppo ripetitivo. Le ultime pagine, dove c'è un rapido ...more
Cristina
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This tiny booklet is packed with inspiration. although it refers to NVC many times, it's perfectly understandable write-up any upfront knowledge of the process. The examples used throughout the book ate powerful and so are the takeaways. Bottom line: listen to your anger well enough and you will meet your needs and connect to them. My key learnings:
1. Amy thinking that is in your head that involves the word "should" is violence provoking.
2. even if you don't say judgements out loud, your eyes
Rahnee Patrick
From Concepts to the Concrete

This book deserves five stars because its outcome will change my approach to communicating my thoughts, differences, etc. Further, compassion is critical for the utmost nonviolent direct action and other social change methods. The reading is essential for anyone who is angry enough to community organize and wants to increase their communication skills so that interpersonal dialogue reflects the values for which you fight for social change.
The examples and anecdotes

• Et tu trouveras le trésor qui dort en toi
  • Star Wars: Jedi Academy 2: Return of the Padawan (Jedi Academy, #2)
  • The Courage to be Happy: True Contentment Is In Your Power
  • Zen in the Art of Archery
  • The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Adversity
  • The Essential Rumi
  • The Yes Brain: How to Cultivate Courage, Curiosity, and Resilience in Your Child
  • In Desert and Wilderness
  • The Joys of Motherhood
  • Spel på många små trummor
  • You Are the Placebo: Making Your Mind Matter
  • The Science of Social Intelligence: 33 Studies to Win Friends, Be Magnetic, Make An Impression, and Use People’s Subconscious Triggers
  • The Naked Warrior: Master the Secrets of the Super-Strong - Using Bodyweight Exercises Only
  • Self-Therapy: A Step-By-Step Guide to Creating Inner Wholeness Using IFS, a New, Cutting-Edge Therapy
  • C-Mass: Calisthenics Mass: How to Maximize Muscle Growth Using Bodyweight-Only Training
  • Jailhouse Strong
  • Underground Strength Training Collective: 6 + Months of Powerful Strength & Conditioning Workouts from 20 Strength Coaches
  • House of the Sleeping Beauties and Other Stories
Marshall Rosenberg was an American psychologist and the creator of Nonviolent Communication, a communication process that helps people to exchange the information necessary to resolve conflicts and differences peacefully. He was the founder and Director of Educational Services for the Center for Nonviolent Communication, an international non-profit organization.

In 1961, Rosenberg received his Ph.D