Start by marking “Toxic Psychiatry: Why Therapy, Empathy & Love Must Replace the Drugs, Electroshock & Biochemical Theories of the New Psychiatry” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  226 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Prozac, Xanax, Halcion, Haldol, Lithium. These psychiatric drugs - and dozens of other short-term "solutions" - are being prescribed by doctors across the country as a quick antidote to depression, panic disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, and other psychiatric problems. But at what cost?
Published August 15th 1994 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Toxic Psychiatry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toxic Psychiatry

Rebecca McNutt
Toxic Psychiatry is a rather frightening and disturbing yet important book, definitely one that everybody should read, because these medications are becoming more and more prominent and overprescribed these days, and are no longer just used for mental illness. Many are used for chronic pain, neurological disease and even as sleeping aids. As this book points out, how many drugged psychiatric patients just need a person who will understand them? Can compassion go a longer way than happy pills and ...more
Terry Lynch
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I read Toxic Psychiatry in the late 1990s. At that time, I was working as a GP (family physician), and I was already seriously questioning the medical approach to emotional and mental health. More than any other book, Toxic Psychiatry was a game-changer for me. Having read it, I realized I could not continue to work as a typical medical doctor. I made many changes, and now I have become an author and the provider of a recovery-oriented mental health practitioner, with a far richer understanding ...more
Zy Marquiez
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-reviews
World renown Harvard-trained psychiatrist, author, and researcher Dr. Peter R. Breggin, M.D. unleashes a tour de force in his book Toxic Psychiatry that blows an enormous hole into conventional mainstream medical thought.

Dr. Breggin completely eviscerates the mainstream ‘chemical imbalance’ garbage that has been spewed for decades, and he does so in a logical, caring, and unprecedented manner.

The book to me is highly reminiscent of Dr. Brogans recent landmark book A Mind Of Your Own – The Truth
Andy
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent read ! My complaint is that it's a bit dated and it's taken me so long to get to it. That said, everything contained is still relative, Mr Breggin makes no bones about calling out individual Psychiatrists, Doctors, the American Medical Association and the APA, as well as the Big Pharma companies pushing a drug agenda and poisoning us with the lie that it's help.....
Tree
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An interesting perspective on how medicines do not heal your mental illness, just mask it. Best to solve your problems, instead of taking potentially brain-damaging medications.
Emily
Aug 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book!!! Am so glad I read this book!
NormaCenva
This review is for the 1991 edition - This was an interesting read. Despite a lot of information being outdated, it still brings to life the very grass root of alternative medicinal approaches, especially engaged talking therapy.
It makes some good points, which I am happy to say had some productive developments over the years, both in Mental Health and psychotherapy.
It was interesting to look back and see how it all started.
Sandra
Mar 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I just started to read this book since I'm just about 2/3 done with The Trauma Model by Colin Ross and - I'm getting a little board with Ross's book. Since I just started to read this book all I can comment on is the few parts that I have read. This book was published in 1991. . about 23 years ago.

When you think of psychiatry, you probably think of Schizophrenia. Well, that is what I read on first and let me tell you - the stuff with the shocking the brain thing - it happened more often than yo
Shane
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Medical maverick, Peter Breggin MD, highly opionated, excoriating attacks on the establishment-a real hippie- aligned in the R.D. Laing "sane in a mad world" philosophy. What I really pulled from the book was the description of schizophrenia and other severe illnesses as "psychospiritual" crises. A term I believe I will continue to use...

"Pt preoccupations typically focus on his/her place in the universe, often in an exalted or central role that is highly unrealistic"
Through my own experiences,
Nobeing
Jun 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book takes some of the issues Stasz talks around and adds the detail. It carefully deconstructs the genetic and biological basis for so called brain disorders and addictions labelled as mental illness and sets out the reasons why this view is so dominant and dangerous. Science has not found a depression gene or a schizophrenic gene and has failed to show that chemical imbalances or changes in the brain's neural circuitry are a cause as opposed to an effect of our mental ill health. Breggin ...more
  • The Myth of Mental Illness: Foundations of a Theory of Personal Conduct
  • Reality Therapy: A New Approach to Psychiatry
  • Sanity, Madness and the Family: Families of Schizophrenics
  • The Emperor's New Drugs: Exploding the Antidepressant Myth
  • Mad in America: Bad Science, Bad Medicine and the Enduring Mistreatment of the Mentally Ill
  • Overcoming Borderline Personality Disorder: A Family Guide for Healing and Change
  • Cracked: Why Psychiatry is Doing More Harm Than Good
  • The Search For The Real Self: Unmasking The Personality Disorders Of Our Age
  • Man Against Himself
  • Saving Normal: An Insider's Revolt Against Out-Of-Control Psychiatric Diagnosis, DSM-5, Big Pharma, and the Medicalization of Ordinary Life
  • The Loss of Sadness: How Psychiatry Transformed Normal Sorrow Into Depressive Disorder
  • Listening to Prozac
  • The Female Malady:  Women, Madness and English Culture 1830-1980
  • Unhinged: The Trouble with Psychiatry - A Doctor's Revelations about a Profession in Crisis
  • Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate: A User Guide to an Asperger Life
  • Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self
  • The Mummy at the Dining Room Table: Eminent Therapists Reveal Their Most Unusual Cases and What They Teach Us about Human Behavior
  • The Chakra Handbook