Start by marking “Gideon's War (Gideon Davis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Gideon's War (Gideon Davis, #1)

Gideon's War (Gideon Davis #1)

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  656 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Howard Gordon-the longtime executive producer of the hit TV series 24-makes his fiction debut with a tale of political intrigue and international terrorism. Gideon Davis has just 48 hours to bring his rogue agent brother in-before a twisted global conspiracy turns deadly

GIDEON DAVIS, whose behind-the-scenes negotiating skills have earned him the role of peacemaker in confl
Published January 11th 2011 by Touchstone

To ask other readers questions about Gideon's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gideon's War

Richard
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(As with all of my reviews, I'm going to give you my opinion; if you wanted to know what the book was about you would read the synopsis... Never quite understood why people write a review that they have copied from the book jacket). Anyway......

What a good read! Not for the rookie reader but the true journeyman reader will love it. After reading a few clunkers lately this book was a breath of fresh air. I do hope this is turned into a series and both brothers work together in the next one....
If
Nuno Peralta
Um bom livro de acção, com todos os prós e contras do género: ritmo alucinante, mas demasiados momentos pouco credíveis. Apesar de tudo, parece-me uma boa base para um filme de acção. E nota-se em muitos momentos a relação do autor com a série 24.
Chuck
Feb 05, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for new authors who have been writers / producers associated with successful TV shows such as Sidney Sheldon and Stephen Cannell. Such was the case with Mr. Gordon and the immensely popular show 24. That success didn't transfer here. This story had action scenarios that were not to be believed happening one after another and our hero managed them all safely, rescued his allegedly dead brother and got the girl. Oh Brother.
Isabella
Oct 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned, 2015
Loved it! Thoroughly enjoyable.
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
Disappointing 2 Stars

As a fan of Jack Bauer and 24 I saw this blurb and immediately downloaded GIDEON’S WAR and began reading:
Howard Gordon—the longtime executive producer of the hit TV series 24—makes his fiction debut with a tale of political intrigue and international terrorism. Gideon Davis has just 48 hours to bring his rogue agent brother in—before a twisted global conspiracy turns deadly.

Gideon Davis is definitely not Jack Bauer. Davis is the polar opposite; he is a Pacifist whom believ
Lisa D'ippoliti
Jan 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Gideon's War by Howard Gordon is about a man sworn to non-violence is sent by the Mohan the president to capture a terrorist; who was a U.S. operative, planning to seize a high tech oil rig on the Southeast China sea border. Trying to destroy the ticking time bomb, that could wipe out half of Southeast Asia. Potentially result in war, the risks Gideon takes to find out that the person of interest is his brother Tillman Davis. Taking a man Earl hostage, Gideon forcing to use his dark si ...more
Jacki (Julia Flyte)
Howard Gordon is a former executive producer and writer for the TV series "24". This is his first novel, but it bears many similarities in structure and pace to that programme, including such hallmarks as the brother gone rogue, the trusted family friend who's not what he seems and the red herring plot which stretches out the wait for the main action.

Gideon Davis is a Special Presidential Envoy who negotiates peace agreements on behalf of the US Government. He is called upon to bring in a rogue
Paul Pessolano
Gideon Davis, a skilled negotiator, for the United States has just been honored for his efforts in peacefully negotiating a resolution to a very dangerous situation. He is well known in the world as a man who can use his skills to settle disputes without the use of armed force.

Gideon's brother, Tillman Davis, is just the opposite. He is known for his use of force to settle all conflicts. A very skilled mercenary that has seen more than his share of murder and bloodshed.

Both Gideon and Tillman lo
Eloise Kindred
as a huge fan of tv show 24 I was expecting big things from the debut novel by its producer, Howard gordon but, sadly, gideons war (or the obelisk, as it's also named) didn't really deliver. I can't really put my finger on why - could be gordon's writing style - but i struggled my way through most of it. I guess I was expecting a rip roaring thriller as kiefer sutherland promises on the cover, something akin to the Matthew reilly books I enjoy reading, but the pacing and the action just weren't ...more
Jake
Dec 27, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
When the author is billed as the executive producer of 24, I don't know what one should reasonably expect besides some cheap thrills. Gordon's debut effort provides that and so much more. Sexism is there ("As the water cascaded over her naked body, Kate realized that this was the first time she had been naked near a man in two years."). Islamophobia too (insurgents are consistently referred to as "jihadis" and not the more appropriate title of "insurgents"). Not to mention a very predictable plo ...more
Tammy McNiel
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Eh...it was okay. Lots of action, but most of it was completely implausible. If I am stopping in the middle of an action scene to think about how over the top it is, then it's just too much. Suspending disbelief just happens in great storytelling; I had to remind myself to do it with this book.
Arushi Doshi
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An exceptionally good, heart-racing and unputdownable fast-paced thriller. Wouldn't have expected anything else from the master of thrillers himself - All hail Gordon!
Katrina
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It was what I expected, the 24 TV series that I had grown to love and enjoy. All that inside a book with the vivid imaginations that comes with reading vs watching.
Giovanni Gelati
Feb 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Happy Valentine’s Day to all! We have a big week of posts, guests on the blogtalk radio, The GZONE, and some pretty neat news and info to impart that we are a part of. Today on the blogtalk show at 1pmEST we have Bob Hamer as our guest and tomorrow we have Irene Hannon. Later on today we are dropping in another post that is a first for us and we are happy to participate in this inaugural event; more details to come in our blog. Tomorrow we have not one but two surprises; I am pumped to make both ...more
Kari Wainwright
Howard Gordon, executive producer of the TV show, 24, makes his fictional debut with the thriller, Gideon’s War, in the tradition of 24’s fast pace, deadly encounters and desperate deadlines. The protagonist, Gideon Davis, works behind the scenes in some of the world’s tensest places to bring peace. But his current assignment comes with more drama, danger and death than he’s seen in his whole lifetime.
The U.S. president needs Gideon to bring in a rogue agent who has been terrorizing the oil-ri
Roslyn
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Gideon’s War*
By Howard Gordon
Howard Gordon is the longtime executive producer of the hit TV series 24. He has out done himself in this fast paced volatile thriller. Believe nothing the characters say in this highly imaginative narration of political intrigue and international terrorism. With this debut, Howard Gordon deservedly, has to be placed on the list of thriller all stars. He is the 21st century’s Ludlum and Michael Crichton. He captures the fast pace of the 21st century, not with elabora
Iain  Edward Henn
Mar 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gideon Davis is an international diplomat and negotiator for peace at the tables of the world's leaders. Juxtaposed to this is the intriguing fact that the brother he has not seen for many years is a notorious and wanted terrorist.

When his brother hijacks a state-of-the-art oil rig in the South China Sea, the US President calls on Gideon to negotiate with - and help capture - his terrorist brother. The scene is set for a monumental Cain vs Abel-type showdown, complicated by a traitor within the
Luanne Ollivier
I am a fan of the television series 24. Sadly it has come to an end. But writer and producer Howard Gordon has donned yet another hat and written his first novel Gideon's War.

Gideon Davis is a skilled political negotiator. He believes in peace without violence. His skills are recognized and appreciated by the current White House administration. Family friend Earl Parker - also deputy national security advisor - calls on Gideon to put those talents to use. A rogue agent has agreed to surrender, b
Ashley Dawn
Oct 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is a rogue agent in Mohan the President wants brought in and Gideon Davis is the only man who can accomplish that feat. Gideon is a negotiator, known for his amazing skills and honesty. The rogue agent is none other than his brother, Tillman. The men were brought up the same way and given the same skill set, but chose vastly different ways to utilize them. Where Gideon is a negotiator, Tillman is army, special ops.
Gideon has only forty-eight hours to bring his brother in before chaos erupt
Deb
Dec 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gideon's War is the first novel by Howard Gordon, a former producer of 24, one of my favorite shows so I was interested to read it. (Gordon also wrote and produced for Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel and The X-Files). Gideon Davis is a negotiator, brokering peace in conflicts around the globe and a believer that nonviolence not war is the only thing that will bring lasting peace. Called to a special assignment by the president and the deputy Nat'l security advisor who is an old family friend and ...more
Flickercat
Gideon Davis ist ein sogenannter „Peacemaker“, ein Vermittler in Konflikten rund um den Globus. Seine Aufträge erhält er direkt vom amerikanischen Präsidenten, und seine neueste Mission besteht darin, einen gegnerischen Agenten, der sich stellen will, nach D.C. zu holen. Doch der feindliche Agent ist Gideon kein Unbekannter: Es handelt sich um seinen Bruder…

„Peacemaker“ setzt vor allem auf Spannung und viele Actionszenen und macht das, wie ich finde, eigentlich recht gut. Gelegentlich wird es et
Henri Moreaux
The Obelisk (or Gideon’s War in some markets) is the debt novel from Howard Gordon, a producer of the action packed show '24' starring Keifer Sutherland as Jack Bauer.

What at first seems like a simple straight forward mission for the main character quickly becomes a mess of intermingled loyalties and deception. Unlike a lot of modern thrillers which are reliant upon tech gizmos, computers and other crap to advance the plot and provide action The Obelisk stays with the basics and keeps it intere
L8start
Sep 06, 2012 rated it liked it
Howard Gordon was producer of the TV series 24, one of my all-time favorite shows. The plot twists, pacing and character interaction are all reminiscent of that show. Unfortunately, the book didn't deliver an edge-of-the-seat experience. Gideon Davis is a UN negotiator who's sent to an oil-rich nation by the President to retrieve Tillman Davis, Gideon's estranged brother. There's constant action and violence, from wild boat and mountain chases, to an oil rig endangered by a hurricane and human t ...more
Kevin
Jul 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge huge fan of 24 and the moment I seen this book by Howard Gordon in a charity shop I grabbed it with both hands. I was expecting suspense, twists, drama, and an action thriller plot! Sadly this is not what I got. With 24 I could not wait to watch the next episode but with this book it felt like a chore. You might think I am being unfair to keep comparing it to 24 but Howard Gordon has used 24 to promote this book (just look at the cover). So therefore I have to compare the two and thi ...more
Nancy McFarlane
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gideon Davis is a UN peacekeeper who has spent his career denouncing violence in any form. When he is told he has 24 hours to bring in his rouge spy brother before his brother is killed he still thinks he will be able to negotiate his safety and justice will prevail. Being chased through jungles of SE Asia by various militant groups and trying to prevent terrorists from blowing up a deep water oil rig soon dispel those beliefs. Thrill a minute action that one would expect from an executive produ ...more
Joe Whittington
Howard Gordon may be better known for his TV credits rather than his novels, but the man knows how to write a pacy and unpredictable thriller. Having been a fan of 24 and more recently homeland, I expected good action sequences and some political intruige too, with shady characters of unclear motives aplenty. Gordon doesn't disappoint. Recommended if you have enjoyed Lee Child or James Patterson in the past and are looking for something new.

Look out for the follow up, "The Chamber" out on 19 Jan
Rjames1999
I really wanted to love this book based on my affinity for "24" and the rave reviews from a few favorite authors. The first half I was thinking the book should have been called "Gideon's Luck" after way too many strokes of fortune for the main character. The last half started to redeem itself but spoiled the effort during the last couple of pages that are worthy for the end of a Roger Moore 007 movie. Still, a fun yarn to get through if you don't care about the cheese. Don't expect Jack Bauer he ...more
Deborah
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
While this book was fast-paced, it wasn't my cup of tea. Too predictable, with the James Bond-like action, the love interest, the ending. Also not a big fan of the constant reference the bad guys as jihadis and Muslim terrorists (government labels that fearful people have gravitated toward using) rather than insurgents or just plain bad guys, like all the other good action novels out there.

I was looking for something to take me away from some of the drier reading I've been doing lately, but it d
Rick Presley
Generally I like action adventure. I could listen to Clive Cussler's Dirk Pitt novels all day long. Gideon's war on CD, not so much. First off, the guy reading it was so laconic I nearly fell asleep. For an action adventure book, you would think he's reading to stock futures. I take that back. Listening to Dale Minyo on Ohio Ag Journal read the futures prices is a LOT more entertaining. I gave it 3 stars for plot. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but die hard fans of 24.
Dec 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Received this book as an ARC. I understand that its now called Gideons War. Seems interesting so starting it today

Interesting premise that is totally believable considering the state of the nations across the globe. Some of the situations seem a little fantastical, however, having never been in any of the dangerous situations that these characters find themselves in, they could be quite plausible. Recommend this for anyone who likes political intrique.
  • Falcon Seven
  • Ghost Watch (Vin Cooper, #4)
  • Crashers
  • Lords of Corruption
  • Die Twice (David Trevellyan, #2)
  • The Omega Theory (Final Theory, #2)
  • The Assassin (Ryan Kealey, #2)
  • Black Site (Delta Force, #1)
  • Mixed Blood (Cape Town #1)
  • Agent X (Steve Vail, #2)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
  • After The Rain (Phil Broker, #5)
  • Changing Tides (A Gates Family Mystery, #1)
  • Firefight
  • Dangerous Times (Nathan Fox, #1)
  • Come as You Are (Dragon One, #3)
  • Undersea Prison (Stratton, #4)
  • Sentinel (Spycatcher, #2)
Howard Gordon was the Showrunner and Executive Producer of the hit television series, 24. A twenty-five year industry veteran, Mr. Gordon first gained national attention for his award-winning work on the groundbreaking series The X-Files, for which he won multiple Golden Globes.

His other credits include Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Beauty and the Beast, Sisters and Spenser: For Hire. He create
More about Howard Gordon

Gideon Davis (2 books)
  • Hard Target (Gideon Davis, #2)

Fiction Deals

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
  • We'll Always Have Paris: Stories
  • The Hidden Flower
  • Greyhound
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Take Two (Above the Line, #2)
  • The Heart Mender: A Story of Second Chances
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things