Start by marking “Futhark, a Handbook of Rune Magic” as Want to Read:
Futhark, a Handbook of Rune Magic

Futhark, a Handbook of Rune Magic

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  597 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
In giving us "Futhark, " the author re-initiates us into our heritage, explaining the mysteries of a profound system of thought and practice which underlies our developing Western culture. Both the spiritual heritage of ancient runic lore and the practical steps we can take to draw on rune power are present in "A Handbook of Rune Magic." This complete book of rune instruct ...more
Published July 1st 2012 by Weiser Books (first published June 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Futhark, a Handbook of Rune Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Futhark, a Handbook of Rune Magic

Kathy Doll
Somewhat esoteric and high-brow, but good to know how complex runology really is. Must study more.
Joseph F.
Perhaps I'm the wrong person to review this book since I'm not much of a believer in things esoteric, spiritual or magical, but since I love the runes I read it anyway. This is a book that uses the runes for various magical operations such as the making of talismans, wands and other objects. The author even gives instructions on how to use runes in ceremonial magic. Somehow I doubt that runes were used in this way by ancient Scandinavians. Of course the author does inform the reader that much of ...more
Sharon Reamer
Dec 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interesting in Futhark and rune knowledge
I've owned this book for a while as I bought it when I began researching Germanic/Norse mythology and history for a novel I'm working on. I didn't expect it to be very helpful so it took me a while to get around to it.

I was pleasantly surprised at how helpful this book was.

Although geared towards practitioners of runecraft and having a mainly religious bent, the book has a lot of useful tidbits about the runes with some history, especially as relates to the Norse prose and poetry where the runes
Katharine Kerr
Sep 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: magical-studies
FUTHARK is Thorsson's first book. He's divided it into two parts, a brief history of the runic system and a "practical" section that gives a complete set of magical exercises. Since he's studied the system extensively and has academic credentials, the history strikes me as sound and well-documented. He knows Old Norse and the other important languages of this field, always a plus in my opinion!

The exercises derive from a system developed early in the Twentieth Century in Germany, under the heavy
Riobhcah
Mar 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: norse
This is a rather good starting place to learn about the runes and their various uses. In the first section, each rune is discussed with its alternate forms, phonetic value, esoteric interpretations and a good basic commentary. In the second half of the book, the author gives a good intro to rune magic, discussing the Nordic concept of the soul and how one may relate to the runes, i.e. utilizing forms of energy via stadhagar (runic yoga) and doing protective rituals. He also tells one which tools ...more
Anie
Thorsson knows a fair bit about what he's doing. There's certainly a few suspect claims in here, especially about language, but a lot of this leans on real historical support, and is based on genuine research that was done by someone who knows how to evaluate claims. The suspect parts, though, are suspect: The Armanem runes come from a very, very gross and racist part of German history and Thorsson's treatment of them is therefore worryingly cavalier. However, very in depth on the place of runes ...more
Shea Mastison
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Edred Thorsson is the premier rune scholar of our time. His insights are derived from quality scholarship, and personal occult study. The book is an interesting mixture of objective fact, and personal experience; and like most real "magical" books, gives one a peek into the psyche of the author.

This is an excellent starting position for anyone interested in the runes, and it reads very complimentarily with his other great work, "Runelore."

If this is your kinda stuff, you should check out this
Tim
May 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pagan-related
A great introduction to the Elder Futhark and the esoteric and magical concepts surrounding it. Thorsson takes and in depth look at each rune and provides several bits of information related to lore and use in magic for each one. Once each of the 24 different runes of the Elder Futhark are introduced and explained he goes on to describe various magical techniques which are designed to aid the magician, or as he calls it vikti, to embrace the power of each rune and develop better insight into the ...more
Äsruþr Cyneaþsson
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An outstanding work on the runes from Thorsson. The text is perfectly balanced between the objective historical study, as per Flowers thesis (Runes and Magic) and the esoteric application of the runes.

For anyone seeking a complete grasp of the runes, their history and application - the Futhark is an essential text. The language is easily accessible for all, yet retains the deep value of Thorsson's more detailed and academic writings. Every runer should have this text.
Khris Mundy
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
The most recognized opener for aspiring runesters. Thorsson is a master at operative runology and this book is a great place to get acquainted with the lore. His further readings such as Runelore and Alu are required reading for runic practitioners and learners alike.
Jack
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
IMHO, one of the better books on runes.
Jaime
Oct 04, 2008 rated it liked it
Better than most runelore books out there but doesn't always distinguish between pre-Christian tradition and more modern interpretations.
Daemonium
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Once again awesome book recommend
Kelli
Aug 31, 2015 added it
I love reading, writing, drawing, words, and dreaming about the future. Why wouldn't I have just eaten this up back when I was young and silly?
Volmarr
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Heathens and those into the runes
This and Runelore are the books to read to learn about the runes. All other books should be gauged according to the information in these two books to determine accuracy.
jack
a solid primer on the runes.
Glennmatthew
Feb 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
my absolute go to book regarding rune magic. his vocabulary can be a bit much, but once you get the feel for it, he is by far the definitive author on the subject. a must for any asatruar.
Tasha
Jun 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is probably my favorite book on runes. It seems straight-forward at first, but the more you start learning about them, the more you realize how much is in here!
Aaron Meyer
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: occult
Next to Runelore this is my favorite esoteric rune book to go to. Full of information. Once you have read it and Runelore your directions are endless where you can take it.
Kimberly
Oct 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are interested in learning on the runes this is the perfect book for you! Easy to comprehend and understand for those who may be newbies!
Julie
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Most excellent. I can't wait to read the other books I bought by Edred Thorsson
Alice
Apr 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: metaphysics
One of the 3 books by Edred Thorsson that should be the basis of your Rune Study library.
Inara
-Runes
Leigh
Jan 14, 2014 added it
Shelves: i-give-up
I tried reading the ebook, but the file would not display properly, cutting off the pages. Reported this to Overdrive.
Michael
Sep 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: occult
Read the German edition.
Dawne
Mar 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm reading this with my daily rune, so not completely in a linear fashion.
Teleri
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Thorsson's first effort. I still think it was his best.
Fishface
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Readable and fascinating introduction into the ancient Norse alphabet, the symbolic meanings of each letter, and by extension an introduction to the ancient Norse culture and religion.
Snake
Feb 18, 2012
  • Northern Mysteries & Magick: Runes, Gods, and Feminine Powers
  • Taking Up the Runes: A Complete Guide to Using Runes in Spells, Rituals, Divination, and Magic
  • Exploring the Northern Tradition: A Guide to the Gods, Lore, Rites, and Celebrations from the Norse, German, and Anglo-Saxon Traditions
  • History and Lore (Our Troth, #1)
  • The Road to Hel: A Study of the Conception of the Dead in Old Norse Literature
  • A Practical Guide to the Runes: Their Uses in Divination and Magic (Llewellyn's New Age)
  • Visual Magick: A Manual of Freestyle Shamanism
  • Real Magic
  • The Apple Branch: A Path to Celtic Ritual
  • Crone's Book of Charms & Spells
  • Magick Without Tears
Stephen Edred Flowers (born 1953) also known by the pen-name Edred Thorsson, is an American Runologist and proponent of occultism and Germanic mysticism. He has over two dozen published books and hundreds of published papers on a disparate range of subjects. Flowers advocates "Esoteric Runology" or "Odianism", an occultist version of Germanic Neopaganism.
More about Edred Thorsson...