Start by marking “A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea” as Want to Read:
A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea

A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea

Could anything possibly be more fun than a pig parade!? You wouldn't think so. But you'd be wrong. A pig parade is a terrible idea. Pigs hate to march, refuse to wear the uniforms, don't care about floats, and insist on playing country music ballads. Those are just some of the reasons. And trust me, this hysterical book has plenty more!
Published September 7th 2010 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea

Chanel Earl
Jan 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea is brilliant.

1. The art is funny.
2. It suggests that you say "pig parade," which is fun to say.
3. The arguments presented in it are rhetorically sound. (I want to use this book with my writing students.)
4. It has marching band-like things in it.
5. It has a strong thesis statement.
6. Everyone in my family loves it.

This book is so good that today we awarded it the Steven Colbert Award for the Literary Excellence, and we only have twelve of those stickers to use, so
Kathryn
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okay, so, on the one hand I'm not sure how much I like the idea of a book telling kids that their idea of having a "pig parade" is a "terrible idea"--why be so discouraging of imagination? And, I happen to really like pigs. BUT, ohmygosh, the reasons why we should NOT have a pig parade are so very, very funny and so well told, I just thoroughly enjoyed reading this book! The illustrations are humorous with a clever blend of realistic portrayal of pigs (no cartoon versions here!) but in ridiculou ...more
This just came into the library and intrigued me once I realized who the author was. Michael Ian Black's voice shines in this persuasive picture book, arguing just why a pig parade is a TERRIBLE idea. The humor appealed to me, though it will definitely go over the heads of most of its intended audience. Parents, though, will enjoy such jokes as "My Tears Are Wet 'Cause My Mud's Gone Dry." The illustrations by Kevin Hawkes are tastefully and beautifully done to complement such dry humor.
Alicia
Professional Review:

This book received a starred review from Booklist and I thought it was with good reason. The book dialogue was very cleverly put together and makes it so many grade levels can enjoy the book rather than only older or younger students. Although I didn't find it as absolutely laugh-out-loud funny as the reviewer did, I was still able to chuckle on several of the pages. I think what really pulls the book together are the illustrations and
Maria Caplin
Mar 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I'm searching for mentor text for opinion writing. What a perfect and fun book to share with my class. Perfect structure for introduction with transition and supports on why pigs would not be perfect for a parade; however panda bears would be. I purchased the Kindle version so students can see and can underline the text.
Lana Krumwiede
Great read aloud. I can imagine some great fun using this book to teach persuasive writing!
Jen
Mar 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very cute book and a great read aloud! At first, one may think that having a pig parade would be a great idea, but after reading the author's reasons for NOT having one, we definitely see that is is a TERRIBLE idea! I read this to one of my 1st grade classes and they LOVED the illustration talking about the floats that pigs like...root beer floats! One of the students said I should have made root beer floats for them to drink while I read the book! That's a great idea and one I'll cons ...more
Skye Kilaen
Feb 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'm so grateful to Black for writing this book! Without its urgent warning message, who knows how many town celebrations could be ruined?! His timely, careful analysis of all the ways pigs are unsuited for parades is insightful and...um, okay, I can't keep this up. The book is just funny, y'all. There are pigs in marching band uniforms. One of our favorite silly books for kids. Totally recommended for the kid who likes to giggle (and any nearby adults).
Robert Davis
Apr 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is the second collaborative work by Michael Ian Black & Kevin Hawkes that I have read, and while I do not dislike it quite as much as Chicken Cheeks it is still dismal and unfunny. The illustrations are better than Chicken Cheeks, but not at all spectacular. Worst of all, the story lacks any justification for itself and fails in every respect.
Connie Klever
Sep 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Hilarious book about why pigs do not cooperate in parades! Nice big illustrations and funny references to other children's books about pigs. Would make a great program--pig books, pig parade, famous literary pigs, etc. Book would work from older preschoolers through older elementary school--3rd or 4th grade.
Dec 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
This is a silly fun book.
Susan
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, storybook
Silly and fun to read. I enjoyed the style contrast between the 'good idea' and bad idea' illustrations.
Mari
Quirky fun! I'll display this one often, though I'm thinking it's a bit too wordy for my large storytime groups.
Virginia
So funny! I just love this and I always love Kevin Hawkes art!
April Thompson
Apr 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Did you know that pigs preferred weepy country ballads?
Deb
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-alena
This was the favorite of the books I read to Alena this morning. I would have given it five stars except I didn't completely love the ending. While reading it, I laughed out loud more than most books I've read. I love the illustrations too.
Vincent Meyers
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
The book, "A Pig Parade Is A Terrible Idea", by Michael Ian Black informs readers what can go wrong in a parade of pigs. The story begins by supporting the idea of having a pig parade because it would be an entertaining event. After that, the story goes on to explain why a pig parade is not a good idea. For example, pigs spend the majority of their time "snuffling" for food and have a bad taste in music. Additionally, pigs are disinterested in floats and have not mastered the ability to march wh ...more
Lynn  Davidson
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Superb illustrations add to the story of why a pig parade is a bad idea. Funny.
Brittany
This was such a cute book! When I heard the title I wasn't sure what to think but as I was reading it I found that I just loved it! It is such a cute idea for a story, but also can be used as more than a story. I think that this book would be really good for doing a lesson on persuasive writing. The book takes an idea that may sound like fun and gives you all of the reasons that it is not as fun and turns out to actually be a bad idea. The book persuades you that having a pig parade is not such ...more
Antoinette
Feb 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book for those misguided souls who foolishly think that holding a pig parade is a good idea. Starting with its very title, this book convincingly enumerates the reasons that such an idea is in fact a terrible one. Solely because of the amusing illustrations, I decided to read this to my 7-year-old, who apparently found the book humorous as well as (I can only assume) informative. I suppose that's a bonus, but perhaps someday he'll realize that pig parades are no laughing matt ...more
Hannah Jane
The idea of a pig parade is pretty ludicrous; therefore just the thought of it is absolutely hilarious. Before you open this book to read it and look at the pictures you should imagine what a pig parade would look like. After you've thought about it for a few minutes that's when you should open the book. Why, you ask? Both Michael Ian Black and Kevin Hawkes perfectly capture the absurdity of a pig parade in all its glory. This book looks exactly like what you've imagined a pig parade to be. The ...more
Susan Rodgers
Jun 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize Micheal Ian Black is a children's author until today! I'm planning to read this for my school-age storytime today instead of one of the many "America is great, we love hot dogs" Fourth of July books we have in the library. I figure this book is about a parade so it works. Also it is hilarious and I think the kids are going to get a big kick out of it.

Looking forward to reading some of Black's other titles.
Becky
Jul 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Perhaps they consider majorette uniforms unflattering. Nonsense. Everybody looks sharp in a majorette uniform, even pigs (especially pigs!).

Delightfully snarky. I like the illustration style change from "perfect pig parade" look to "the reality of a pig parade" look. A good choice if you need a picture book for elementary aged. You could even add in a creative writing portion where they'd need to create their own animal parade and follow this format of it being a terrible idea and why.

Ouida Robinson
Feb 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Author: Michael Ian Black

Title: A Pig Parade Is a Terrible Idea

Plot: This book is about how horrible a pig parade is. Pigs hate parades, wearing uniforms, giant balloons and other things. Parades are just not for pigs.

Setting: a parade

Characters: pigs

Theme: Comedy and Humor

Style: Fiction; Picture Book

Copyright: 2000

Notes: This is a good book. Children would love to hear or read this book.
Angie
Nov 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Funny. One of my favorite lines ... "In fact, the only floats pigs care about are root bear floats, which they love." This is one actor (loved him in Ed!) that while he isn't my most favorite in the entire world is actually fairly respectable at this new avenue for his creativity.

Would never have pegged the illustrator as the same person who did Library Lion ... the art styles seem very different. Not in a bad way ... but just different.
Alicia Evans
Have you ever wondered how a pig parade would actually be? Well, it could be exciting but it could also cause a lot of problems! Shenanigans ensue. This could be a good book to read with a kid on a one-on-one basis if they like to talk stuff out (which a lot of kids do). It would be awkward to try and work with a class or try to do something super serious with though. I feel like this book would be either highly appealing or not appealing at all for young readers.
Magila
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5

This is a picture book with more than a single line or rhyme per page. Awesome illustrations, fun twist in the end. Very appropriate for boys and girls.

What threw it over the 4 hump for me without a doubt was the very realistic picture of pigs after you see them romanticized, and the last two pages. This said, I'd still recommend borrowing it from the library first.
Ms. B
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, poetry
If you are looking for a creative way to introduce that Persuasive Essay unit, this is the perfect picture book for you! Author Michael Ian Black gives us four very good reasons why a pig parade is a terrible idea. He also addresses why you might think it is a good idea and includes a strong conclusion to his argument.
Marcie
This will appeal to kids with that weird sense of humor. Illustrations are fun.

This is one of the 4 nominated books for 1st and 2nd graders to read in 2011 at Bank Street School. This is the first year any teacher or librarian of 6-8 year olds can work on the curriculum and vote by registering at School Library Journal and submitting children's votes by April 11, 2011.
Dale
Jul 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Age of readership: 4-8
Genre: Picture Book
Diversity: Imagation
Description of the illustrations: Full color acrylic illustrations.
Personal response to the book: A funny story of what would go wrong if pigs had their own parade. Curricular and programming connections: A fun story that would be read at a young reader's story time in the library.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Flora's Very Windy Day
  • What Animals Really Like
  • Cat Secrets
  • Brief Thief
  • Have I Got a Book for You!
  • Olive and the Big Secret
  • Brontorina
  • My Cat, The Silliest Cat in the World
  • Pete & Pickles
  • Even Monsters Need Haircuts
Michael Ian Black (very famous) is a popular comedian who began his career with The State, a sketch comedy troupe he co-founded at New York University in 1988, which went on to have a successful run on MTV. He then co-created the Comedy Central television series "Viva Variety," a fake European variety show. From there, he appeared on several television shows before landing the role of Phil Stubbs, ...more