Start by marking “High Tea” as Want to Read:
High Tea

High Tea

2.7  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Published December 1st 2009 by Pocket Books (first published November 11th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about High Tea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about High Tea

Janene
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
i read Sandra Harper's 'High Tea' for Book Club. I have to say that I thought the book cover was adorable, and the idea was good. I mean, who wouldn't love a quaint little tea room to cozy up in with a good cuppa and book?

Well, it took me about four eves to get through this book; double the amt of time it should have. Reason being....I just didn't care. The writing was very amateur. Very choppy. Nothing about the charactors was likeable. We tried to think of a book to compare this one to and cou
Marjanne
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a quick read, and was pretty fluffy. There's not a lot of depth here, though most of the characters are likeable to some degree. I liked that the synopsis on the back cover didn't completely give away the story and that it wasn't totally predictable. I didn't like how the author changes from character to character as a narrator. It often wasn't done in any clear way and was kind of hard to follow who was thinking what, etc. There are even some 'thought comments' from extremely mino ...more
Meg
Sandra Harper’s High Tea looks to be a light, savory little chick lit novel — and I guess, if I were feeling vapid and ridiculous, I might have enjoyed it more. I read Harper’s Over The Holidays last December and thought it was fun, though it was badly stricken with Too Many Characters-itis. This one suffered the same illness: too many characters and far too many storylines resulted in my total ambivalence about everyone in this quick read.

Margaret is our main character and, as such, we get the
Mary (BookHounds)
Really 3.5 stars
Blurb from Book
Magpie's Tearoom is a cozy haven in bustling L.A. -- a place for luncheons, baby showers, or simply hanging out. Its owner, British expat Margaret Moore, relishes tradition...but between a frustrated chef preoccupied with her neglectful producer girlfriend and the tearoom's waitstaff -- a talented but desperate TV star who hasn't acted since Detective Buck Love went off the air, and a twenty-something ingénue who'll do anything to get the part -- her grandmother's
Sabra Embury
I picked this book up in the "LA" section of the Silverlake library because it was a) written in the last few years, b) by a woman, and c) to form a greater appreciation of my current neighborhood, which straddles the trendy trinity of Los Feliz, Silverlake and Atwater Village.

I have to say for a hunk of chick-lit entertaining a variety of women pursuing their dreams, while working together in a tea room, isn't my ideal "cup-of-tea," this one was good. I suppose the greatest challenge for this
Emily
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I tried really hard to like this book. I found half way through that I just didn't care. I didn't care about the story. I didn't care about the characters. I had trouble enough remembering who everybody was. This was a miss for me. I had to actually force myself to sit down and read it.
Margaret
A fun, light and easy book :) If you know me, you know why this book would appeal to me - 1) the main character's name is Margaret, 2) she's British, 3) I lived in the L.A. area for over 25 years and 4) when I visit my sister in L.A., we often go to tearooms! So it was perfect really. I loved that Margaret is an older lady (no, I'm not as old as her, lol) who had to make some life choices and didn't know what to do. I liked her perfectionism at first but willingness to change later. I liked that ...more
Cassie
I have to admit, I picked up this book for two reasons: 1) the main character is an English ex-pat, and 2) the Maltese on the front looks very similar to mine. Shallow reasons admittedly, but it was a cute book. Easy to read, light on the doom and gloom. Unfortunately, I really disliked most of the characters (and there aren't that many) from the start, and the rest of the book did not change my feelings. I liked the main character, and found her understandable but I really wasn't interested in ...more
Megan
This book was something of an anomaly for me--contemporary fiction, with no fantasy or historical element? Strange! But when I spotted it in the bookstore I was immediately suckered in by the adorable cover, and the promise of one of my very favorite things in the world: TEA. It turned out to be a very pleasant read. Likable characters, great food (I want to try the coffee cake recipe!), the prerequisite beverage of choice, and even a bit of antiquing thrown in (always a bonus). Good stuff. Reco ...more
Annie
Nov 27, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping for a book more about the contrasts of a very old-fashioned quaint tea shop versus the bustling life of Santa Monica but instead I got the same narrow-minded view most writers who are clearly not native Angelenos who are not immersed in the Hollywood/Actor life. It was a quick and easy read, finished within a night or two but it was not satisfying to say the least. I found myself wishing the writer would focus more on the main character of Margaret than the airheaded actors and actr ...more
Jessica
Feb 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
When I first picked this book up I thought the cover was really cute & pink. I never really go for novels that look like that but then I was also looking for something different from what I usually read. I think the cover is a bit decieveing. For me this book had too many characters. I wish the writer would have concentrated more on the life of Margaret Moore and her Tearoom at Magpie's instead of the airheaded actresses and actors that surrounded her. I really did try to like this book but ...more
Eileen O'Donohue
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Yet again, another condescending book cover. This was a stort and amusing book. Recommend it to those who want a fun, yet shallow, easy, read. Wish it focused more on the visitors of the Tearoom (like an episode of Cheers) than on the employees. Liked how honest the story was about finding work acting in L.A.
Rebecca Huston
Given the title and the setting, I was hoping that this would be better than it turned out to be. Instead it was boring, predictable, and flat. Like a cup of tea made with Liptons. Blah!

To read the longer review, please go here:
Meekin
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A very shallow, plot driven story. Easy read.

The most interesting part, and in my opinion what the book should have primarily focused on, was Margaret's travels back to England and dealing with the life she had, the life she has, and the life she longs for. Would have made a much more interesting and worthwhile endeavor.
Becky
Feb 07, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Superficial and shallow. I love sitting down with a hot cup of tea and a good book. I love the idea of high tea, and a tea room. So relaxing, the atmosphere, the escape. This book was not thought out, horrible characters, and no depth what so ever. Anything but relaxing and enjoyable.
Kourtney
This was a very quick read. It was alright - this book takes place in Los Angeles so of course there was a mention of the company I work for. I always find that odd for some reason whenever my reality and my book worlds collide!
Suzanne
Mar 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suzanne by: Diva Scavenger Hunt - little dog
Shelves: chick-lit
A solid 3.5. A nice, light read with a host of likable characters. The characters showed a little more depth than most chick-lit novels and the plot didn't unfold in a completely predictable way. I liked the happy endings for most of the characters - isn't that what light is all about?!
Seann
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a feeling that I'd like this book anyway even if I didn't like the idea of a cozy English tearoom, but I do, hence the 3 star rating. Nothing moving whatsoever plot-wise, but reading it wasn't such a waste of time.
Elaine
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
No great literature going on here, nothing that makes you say "Hmm," as you close the cover on the last page, just a readable book. Includes some "typical" LA characterizations. Not a complete waste of time.
Gabrielle
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an easy read with a nice story. It took place over a long period of time without being tedious to read and that it contains the recipes for food and drink that's mentioned in the novel is nice.
Amy
Sep 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The f bombs made me want to put it down, but was glad I didn't. Cute easy read
Christi Barth
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of slow beginning, but really picked up in the second half - very worth the read!
Bette
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not that good, not terrible. I suppose it was worth the few hours it took to read & the $3.00 I paid for it.
Alison
Feb 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute story and I scored an awesome scone recipe!
Sara
Nov 21, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Book Club Book #1
Nicole
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
This book was a quick easy read but I found my self board and not invested in the characters.
Arlene
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
fun and frolic. The british do this well.
Ellie Revert
a fun read about a tea shop in the LA area---the owner and the staff---
Nikki
Sep 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although fairly predictable I did enjoy this read. Likable characters; a fast and fun read!
Pam
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to open my own tea business after reading this novel. I totally loved it! A great summer, girly book that's so LA! This is one that should be turned into a movie.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Italian for Beginners
  • How to Cook a Tart
  • Hollywood Car Wash
  • The Travelling Tea Shop
  • Dress Rehearsal (Signet Eclipse)
  • Beware of Doug (Guys & Dogs, #2)
  • Million Dollar Dilemma
  • Molly's Millions
  • Dreaming in Black & White (Phoebe Grant, #1)
  • The Bucket List to Mend a Broken Heart
Sandra Harper is the author of "Over the Holidays" "High Tea" and the play "Magpie's Tearoom." She has written a cooking column for SKIRT! The best job she ever had was working at the Cook's Library on 3rd Street in Los Angeles.

Read the first chapter of her new novel, "The Chicken Painting" at sandraharper.us

She is co-writing a memoir, "From Rags To Rigatoni" with Madelyn Alfano, owner of Maria's
More about Sandra Harper...