Start by marking “The Hand-Me-Down Family” as Want to Read:
The Hand-Me-Down Family

The Hand-Me-Down Family

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  342 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Callie Gray always assumed she would never marry, until she took a leap and became a mail-order bride. But when she arrives in Sweetgum, Texas, she gets the shock of her life. Her husband is dead, and his brother proposes she marry him, for the sake of his orphaned nephew and nieces. Jack Tyler warns her not to hope for a love match--theirs is strictly a convenient marriag ...more
Published March 1st 2009 by Steeple Hill Love Inspired Suspense (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Hand-Me-Down Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hand-Me-Down Family

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
The Hand-Me Down Family was my first foray into Christian romance in a long time. I was excited to read this one, because I've enjoyed books by Winnie Griggs in the past. In addition, I am a big enthusiast of marriage of convenience storylines.

All and all, this was a pleasant read. I did have some moments where I felt like things were moving at a sluggish pace. Also I had issues with how the spiritual messages seemed to be somewhat cut and pasted in. What I mean by this is, I felt like Ms. Grigg
SheLove2Read
Sep 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of convenience marriages
Shelves: 2010
This is one of those books that sneaks up on you unexpectedly. I absolutely loved it.

Callie Gray has traveled to Texas to be with her new husband and children. (She married him by proxy) She is excited to be starting a new life away from her well meaning but smothering family back in Ohio, even though she knows this is not a love match but one of convenience (her best friend has died and the husband needs someone to help him raise their children). You see, Callie has a small but noticeable port
Dorcas
This is such a touching story about a woman with a birthmark who takes her friends place to be a mail order bride. Winnie Griggs makes compelling characters that you root for from the very beginning. The "groom" at first is very displeased with the switch but as the story goes on, the way he sticks up for the heroine touches your heart. It was one of those stories where I had to take a few breaks to "get a hold" of my emotions as I got so involved with the characters. Love this story!
Anita
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Loved the book, setting, story, characters, and time setting, location etc...good book to read
Terri
Sep 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it is wonderful story .. My mother will read this book soon.. I am going to read more of WInne's books for future.
Cynthia Davis
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book, i could not put it down, it was a very touching story of a family brought together

By faith and love of god. I recommend this bllk a must read I promos you will notwant to put down.
Sharon
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book just made me feel good! I loved the characters and how they became a family. Would definitely read more of her books!
Awjtf
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!
Deborah Malone
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now having said all of this I want to give a review of The Hand-Me-Down Family by Winnie Griggs. This is a historical romance that takes place in California, 1888. Winnie takes the main character, Calley Gray, and puts her on a stage coach to meet her new husband by proxy. Before she arrives he loses his life in a fire and leaves his young daughter without a father. (she had already lost her mother, Calley's good friend).

Now, mind you, Calley knows no one in California and is shocked to say the
Elise-Pinterest+Goodreads=The Perfect Book Boyfriend
I bought this book because right now I am into mail order brides (don't ask me why). This book was very sweet in a Little House on the Prairie kind of way. There is no cursing or sex and the most you will get is a kiss, and its not a "hot" passionate kiss. There is also a lot of praying, church and scripture reading so if you are not into that, this is not your book. What I didn't like is that she seemed a little pushy in her beliefs. What I did like is how she came to terms with her birthmark a ...more
Brynnie
This was a sweet story. However, I felt it could've been a lot better. I know Christian books tend to have less romance but this book barely had anything. Some parts also moved very slow and had me struggling to keep reading. I also felt the religious aspect was a bit in your face.. like Bible passages just thrown in all over the place. While some people might like that, I prefer books that are more subtle. Overall, I think the writing was good and had an interesting plot but it just fell short.
Mallory Gaile
Aug 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-faves
We've all read stories where the herione is pure perfection, we love these ladies but it's a refreshing change to have a heroine that isn't. Callie, though beautiful on the outside, has a birthmark that takes a little getting used to.

It doesn't stop her from standing her ground with Jack, when it comes to the children that were part of his life and are now part of hers.

This was my first book by this author and I can't decide if I liked it more because of the romance or the journey Callie takes
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Callie and her take whatever comes her way even though she struggles with her self confidence.
Callie Gray is unprepared for how upside things turn out for her when she arrives in Sweetgum, Texas or for her first meeting with Jack Tyler.
Jack Tyler has come home to deal with the loss of his family and take of his nieces and nephew not at all prepared to take of his brother's new bride now widow who is prepared to fight for the kids in every way.
Will Jack and Callie learn to work to togethe
Krissie
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
allie Gray always assumed she would never marry, until she took a leap and became a mail-order bride. But when she arrives in Sweetgum, Texas, she gets the shock of her life. Her husband is dead, and his brother proposes she marry him, for the sake of his orphaned nephew and nieces. Jack Tyler warns her not to hope for a love match. burned down family store
Shelley
Apr 26, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kristine
Plane reading. I first thought it was going to be too preachy, but it never was. I loved Callie and Jack and their slow discovery of happiness and this is one of the few romance novels where I'd love to see more of their story - a promise of happily ever after wasn't enough! I think this'd be far too obscure for Yuletide, though. LOL
Jan Romes
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly a sweet romance! This marriage of convenience story tugs at your heart. Winnie Griggs does an excellent job with her characters, settings, and plot. I would high recommend this book :-))

* had the pleasure of meeting Winnie a few years ago at the NOLA conference in Shreveport - she's as warm and friendly as her characters!
Dec 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ooooh i really liked this one. And I didn't expect to. The back cover description isn't really accurate, but for once, the title was. Callie & Jack are great protagonists, and the kids act in completely believable manners - none of that sugarcoating or false maturing. The ending was a bit rushed, but not so much that it spoilt the entire book.
Michelle
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first book I've read by this author and I really enjoyed it. I liked that the heroine had physical flaws. The story was a little predictable, but it was well written with likeable characters. I will be reading more books from this author.
Shelly
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
3.5 stars. I do enjoy this type of book. I loved the little details about life in this time and place, like milking, gathering eggs, etc. I did not feel a lot of depth to the characters or story, but enjoyed it all the same.
Sandie Mixa
Aug 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this mail-order bride story. The groom fell in love with his bride over time (despite her physical defect) because of her loving, kind, hard-working and selfless nature. And in turn she helped him find a sense of belonging and new found faith in God and his worth.
Lyn Morgan
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author never disappoints me. Her feel for her characters is perfect. Their journey to happiness, especially in this book, left me feeling happy, satisfied with a perfect happily ever after life for these wonderful characters.
Judy
Jul 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy most all books I read but this one was so special.

It reminds of how many of allow what others think to rule who we behave.

We hide because of minor flaws

We should always try to only see ourselves as God see's us

Thanks Winnie for an awesome book.
Crystal Barnes
Jan 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-thought-out characters. An enjoyable read.
Melody
Jun 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the idea of a marriage of convenience and seeing where that can go. This kind of story gets me every time! :)
Highland-dreamer
got teary at some parts.. sweet story.
Penelope Marzec
This was an enjoyable, old-fashioned romance. Gentle, but still packed with complex emotions and well-defined characters.
Amanda Pegnam
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little slow setting up the story, but once it got going, I really liked it!
Melania Ramona
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a nice story, but I wanted more "spark" between the H and h.
Joanne Stein
This book was very sweet and the characters had depth. Really enjoyed it and would recommend as a quick read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Substitute Bride
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • The Maverick Preacher  (The Women of Swan's Nest, #1)
  • Family of the Heart
  • The Wedding Season: Much Ado About Nuptials\The Gentleman Takes a Bride
  • Her Healing Ways (Gabriel Sisters, #3)
  • The Journey Home (Depression Series, #2)
  • The Doctor Takes a Wife (Brides of Simpson Creek, #2)
  • Spring Creek Bride
  • Mistaken Bride (Irish Brides, #2)
  • Seaside Cinderella (Nantucket Island, #1)
  • Gingham Bride (Buttons and Bobbins, #1)
  • The Protector
  • The Homesteader's Sweetheart
191160
Winnie Griggs grew up in south Louisiana in an undeveloped area her friends thought of as the very back of beyond. With her two younger siblings and another family of two siblings for playmates, she spent many an hour exploring the overgrown land around her home, cutting jungle trails, building forts and frontier camps, and looking for pirate ships on the nearby bayou.

Once she ‘grew up’ she found
More about Winnie Griggs...