Start by marking “The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance” as Want to Read:

At Last! A Beginner’s Guide to Newborn Baby Technology

You’ve programmed your VCR, you’ve reinstalled Microsoft Windows, you can even check your e-mail on your Palm Pilot. But none of this experience will prepare you for the world’s biggest technological marvel: a newborn baby.

Through step-by-step instructions and helpful schematic diagrams, The Baby Owner’s Manual ex
Published February 1st 2003 by Quirk Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Owner's Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Owner's Manual

Anton
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This seems like a silly joke book at first, but it's actually useful. I think most people who said it was 'awful' or 'unhelpful' either don't have a sense of humor or completely missed the point. I'm not sure what people are looking for in baby books, but this one has pretty much all the basics: how to hold, how to bathe, how to swaddle, feed, etc. If new parents are looking for something deeper like 'how to make baby a highly moral being' or 'how to teach my baby to read in five languages befor ...more
Mr. Gottshalk
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, taking all the advice in the book at its word, I thought it was very helpful. Can't say yet because my "model" (baby) won't be in stock until May. I am keeping this book in my library (garage) as a reference in case I need to help my baby when he comes along. There were lots of things I learned, like how to change a diaper on a boy and what to look for as far as signs from the baby as he matures and so forth. A lot of the information I already knew but I still found it comforting that I di ...more
Michelle Pegler
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall a good book for new parents to understand all the basics of caring for babies. I took a star off my rating because of the wish-washy answer the book gives in the FAQ about immunizations. Publications need to stop making it seem acceptable to not immunize babies in modern society!
Angela Holtz
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

This is so funny! It really does have useful information, but I'm a mom twice over, so nothing in it was news to me. If I were to gift this to someone, it would be the dad-to-be.

As funny as it is, the graphics catch your eye and the information is laid out in a logical manner. It literally is an instruction book about babies. I think it would take out some of the mystery that usually scares guy silly.

One of the first things covered is "The Baby: Diagram and Parts List" a
Christina
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Fun, concise, and irreverent how-to book for new parents. Ex. "Frequent play time will benefit all models. It serves a trifold purpose: it makes the baby happy, can activate sleep mode, and teaches the baby about his relationship with the world." Perfect for the dad whose yack reflex is activated by the typical baby book.
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by a friend with two little ones. I really enjoyed it. It provided good information regarding babycare in an entertaining fashion.

The book included information on basic tasks like changing a baby, swaddling, etc.

Parents who resent babies being referred to as if they were electronic devices probably wouldn't enjoy this book.

Those with a sense of humor about parenting may both enjoy this book and find it highly useful.
Petra Eggs
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people buying baby-shower or new baby gifts
The set treats the baby as a computer unit fresh out of the box, complete with a big Quick Start guide. The book is full of good information and all the items are both funny and useful. Its the sort of gift that you will buy time and time again. (I've bought two, so far).
Carrie
Apr 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Great "new-dad" book. Reads like a car instruction manual and adds humor. FAST and EASY.

Author: Louis and Joe Borgenicht
Publisher: Quirk Books
Copyright: 2003
Genre: Parenting/Childcare
Pages: 217
Date Read- 4/25/09
Eric
Mar 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fathers to be
Recommended to Eric by: Kevin Shult
Shelves: parenting
Short and funny, and written with the male mind in mind. Although not overly detailed, it was still comforting, as it breaks down the steps for taking care of a child into easy-to-follow instructions. It is definitely not a "baby bible", but a good starting point.
Anastasia
Nov 24, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2006
This is a terrible, terrible take on human development. It is only fit to be a joke and I therefore wouldn't recommend it to any new parent.
Ed Watts
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny but informative. I like that it was straight to the point without waffle.
Also... BURRITO WRAP!
Angela Randall
This book was always going to be a slightly humourous way of explaining baby stuff, so even when the points made are really obvious, you can giggle a little at the wording and imagery.

The first half is straightforward dot point advice that most people would know or would have found out from any baby book. The last two chapters covered growth and development then emergency safety information. In those chapters they managed to dot-point their way through a lot more information than I've seen in a
Danielle Robertson Rath
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-fitness
I love this book's approach to parenting. It makes it feel more manageable and less daunting when you describe children as if they were complicated machines with instructions to master. This book made me laugh and made me feel more confident heading into final weeks of pregnancy. I highly recommend it.
Lili
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone about to have a baby
Shelves: favorites
This is the only one of my many baby/pregnancy books that my husband read. He carried this thing with him everywhere. Great instructions on all the basic baby care stuff that you should know but don't and feel too dumb to ask a more experienced person. Great stuff to warn you on what to expect when the baby comes home all written in an electronics instructional manual style for humor.
Eastofoz
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
Very funny. Reads & looks like a car manual --perfect for dads to be ;)
Vasil Kolev
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written, fun, and still extremely horrifying.
Jillian
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Concise and readable baby care primer with a great sense of design and a good (if slightly overdone) sense of humor. Surprisingly helpful as a starting resource.
SaraLaLa
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found it informative and I especially liked the appendix. The charts seem really useful.
Vesna
Jun 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Duhovito, sažeto i informativno. Dakle, jako korisno! I, jesam li već rekla, duhovito! :)
RoXXie
Definitiv ein Muss für alle frisch gebackenen Eltern. Auf lustige Art wird alles Wichtige aufgeführt.
Manch einer mag dieses Thema nicht als lustig empfinden, der darf auch gerne zum Lachen in den Keller gehen. Kindeserziehung sollte auch mit viel Humor betrachtet werden.
Sicherlich gibt es in diesem Buch viele ernste Thema, wenn etwa Gefahr für das Leben des Kindes droht. Doch warum dies trocken und langweilig darzulegen, wenn es eben auch etwas leichter geht. Allein die Vorstellung, dass dem eig
megan-redwitch
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my husband bought this book kind of as a joke - but we both ended up loving it. several doses practical, couple doses of well laid out & designed, & at least one dose funny / sarcastic tenor - also easy to reference as our little guy came a little early & we weren’t quite finished reading! (but did before his due date so we were on track originally : ) ) it may be best for first time parents but i feel almost any baby book is geared toward rookies - but this one also isn’t overwhelmi ...more
Megan
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the setup of this book as it has information on many aspects of caring for a newborn and infant, without being overly wordy. The style of writing, as if it is a technology owner's manual, is amusing. It organizes the information in a helpful way, which makes it easy to reference or read out of order. It also has useful diagrams, and example charts you can use for tracking the various information you need to track about your baby. Both my husband and I enjoyed reading through this book. I ...more
Natalia
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Долго не могла приступить к чтению книги. Как-то из стиля оформления и первых страниц с трудом верилось, что узнаю что-то нужное и полезно. Начался декрет: руки дошли и до этого с виду забавного произведения. Так как ребенка я жду первого, книга меня приятно удивила: в упрощенном и схематичном формате освещаются основные моменты ухода за ребенком с вариантами и вариациями.

Для себя я даже где-то поставила заплатки, чтобы было не так страшно практиковаться на малыше. И да, звучит и выглядит забавн
Brianne
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mama-books
A fun and informational read for first-time parents! It’s most useful if you read it *before* the baby comes.

There are a lot of tips and recommendations for medical treatment and general health issues that were completely opposite of what our pediatrician recommends. When reading this book, remember that it’s important to consult your pediatrician - even when the authors *don’t* specifically tell you to.
Coltin
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the writing style of this book. It manages to keep the same pace and tone throughout. My lower rating is because the information in the book is very dated, and there is a bunch of information or recommendations that we would not longer consider accurate/true, which is very important for first time parents.
Allyson Stinnett
Mar 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lot of solid information in here laid out in an amusing way. It really goes over the basics, so it would be a good resource for those who really haven't had any baby experience before. That being said, there was still some good info in it for me as I was reading and I'll be keeping it handy to reference if I want a refresher on swaddling, growth charts, etc.
Gilraen
Jan 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Es bastante útil y el estilo en que esta escrito lo hace super divertido. No le di 5 estrellas solo porque esta desactualizado en algunas practicas. Pero en la mayoría es super informativo y los consejos profesionales de verdad sirven.
Matthew
Decent basic information for first time parents

Enjoyed the style of the book, but it did not cover information in very much depth. Fairly high level and basic information conveyed.
Christina
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Pretty good. Provides straightforward, practical advice minus the know-it-all condescension of so many baby books. Pleasant to read. Very useful index. Although the technology metaphor persists throughout the book, readability isn't sacrificed for the sake of the joke and it's very easy to follow.
Israel Fermín Montilla
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of useful and practical advices, it must not substitute a visit to your pediatrician but it helps you identify and solve most of the issues with your new family member. The title seems like a joke, but it's a great book to avoid freaking out for normal stuff
  • Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • The Pregnancy Journal: A Day-to-Day Guide to a Healthy and Happy Pregnancy
  • The Pregnancy Book: A Month-By-Month Guide Tag: Everythg. You Need to Know from America'S..
  • A Child is Born
  • Let's Panic About Babies!: How to Endure and Possibly Triumph Over the Adorable Tyrant who Will Ruin Your Body, Destroy Your Life, Liquefy Your Brain, and Finally Turn You into a Worthwhile Human Being
  • Babyproofing Your Marriage: How to Laugh More, Argue Less, and Communicate Better as Your Family Grows
  • Heading Home with Your Newborn: From Birth to Reality
  • The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby
  • (SAFE BABY HANDLING TIPS [WITH SPINNER]) BY Sopp, David(Author)Hardcover Nov-2005
  • Baby Bargains: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby furniture, gear, clothes, toys, maternity wear and much more! (Baby Bargains)
  • The Happiest Baby Guide to Great Sleep: Simple Solutions for Kids from Birth to 5 Years
  • What to Expect the Toddler Years
  • The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year
  • What to Expect When Your Wife is Expanding: A Reassuring Month-by-Month Guide for the Father-to-Be, Whether He Wants Advice or Not
  • The Pregnancy Bible: Your Complete Guide to Pregnancy and Early Parenthood
  • Cooking for Baby: Wholesome, Homemade, Delicious Foods for 6 to 18 Months
  • How to Behave So Your Children Will, Too!
“baby’s diaper is soiled, or it can be manually checked by inserting” 0 likes