Start by marking “The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance” as Want to Read:

(Owner’s/Instruction Manuals #1)

At Last! A Beginner’s Guide to Newborn Baby Technology

You’ve programmed your VCR, you’ve reinstalled Microsoft Windows, you can even check your e-mail on your Palm Pilot. But none of this experience will prepare you for the world’s biggest technological marvel: a newborn baby.

Through step-by-step instructions and helpful schematic diagrams, The Baby Owner’s Manual ex
Published February 1st 2003 by Quirk Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Owner's Manual, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Owner's Manual

Start your review of The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
Anton
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This seems like a silly joke book at first, but it's actually useful. I think most people who said it was 'awful' or 'unhelpful' either don't have a sense of humor or completely missed the point. I'm not sure what people are looking for in baby books, but this one has pretty much all the basics: how to hold, how to bathe, how to swaddle, feed, etc. If new parents are looking for something deeper like 'how to make baby a highly moral being' or 'how to teach my baby to read in five languages befor ...more
Michelle Pegler
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall a good book for new parents to understand all the basics of caring for babies. I took a star off my rating because of the wish-washy answer the book gives in the FAQ about immunizations. Publications need to stop making it seem acceptable to not immunize babies in modern society!
Matthew Quann
Jun 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
With a baby on the way, I thought I might be able to skip most baby manuals because I'm just a couple years short of being a paediatrician. As the bottles, swaddles, wraps, carseats, and cloth diapers started to show up on our doorstep I realized that there might be some practical aspects of baby maintenance with which I might not be familiar. So I found myself stuck between not wanting to retread ground I'd thoroughly walked over and avoiding some of the non-evidence based nonsense that's out t ...more
Mr. Gottshalk
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Well, taking all the advice in the book at its word, I thought it was very helpful. Can't say yet because my "model" (baby) won't be in stock until May. I am keeping this book in my library (garage) as a reference in case I need to help my baby when he comes along. There were lots of things I learned, like how to change a diaper on a boy and what to look for as far as signs from the baby as he matures and so forth. A lot of the information I already knew but I still found it comforting that I di ...more
Christina
Apr 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Fun, concise, and irreverent how-to book for new parents. Ex. "Frequent play time will benefit all models. It serves a trifold purpose: it makes the baby happy, can activate sleep mode, and teaches the baby about his relationship with the world." Perfect for the dad whose yack reflex is activated by the typical baby book.
Petra-masx
Jul 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people buying baby-shower or new baby gifts
The set treats the baby as a computer unit fresh out of the box, complete with a big Quick Start guide. The book is full of good information and all the items are both funny and useful. Its the sort of gift that you will buy time and time again. (I've bought two, so far).
Oana Sipos
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby
Practical, funny and to the point advice. Warmly recommended if you want to get the feeling of being more in control before your new inhabitant arrives (cause you actually won't ever be in control :D).
Shog Al Maskery
May 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great, enjoyable and fun manual to read! The language used is basic and understandable. The overall experience was more than what I expected
Angela Holtz
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

This is so funny! It really does have useful information, but I'm a mom twice over, so nothing in it was news to me. If I were to gift this to someone, it would be the dad-to-be.

As funny as it is, the graphics catch your eye and the information is laid out in a logical manner. It literally is an instruction book about babies. I think it would take out some of the mystery that usually scares guy silly.

One of the first things covered is "The Baby: Diagram and Parts List" a
David
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I won’t know how good this information genuinely is until late April, but it seems to match what I vaguely recall from nursing school and was presented in a humorous format, so I’m hoping it will be helpful.
Alice Rachel
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect! Truly instructive.
Tassos
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: technical
Super to the point, as any technical manual should be. Besides the funny factor of the book, I also found the information relevant and useful. The information provided was also correct in all the points that I could verify with other sources or with personal experiences. So this book is not just a joke.
Oct 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was recommended to me by a friend with two little ones. I really enjoyed it. It provided good information regarding babycare in an entertaining fashion.

The book included information on basic tasks like changing a baby, swaddling, etc.

Parents who resent babies being referred to as if they were electronic devices probably wouldn't enjoy this book.

Those with a sense of humor about parenting may both enjoy this book and find it highly useful.
Eric
Mar 09, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fathers to be
Recommended to Eric by: Kevin Shult
Shelves: parenting
Short and funny, and written with the male mind in mind. Although not overly detailed, it was still comforting, as it breaks down the steps for taking care of a child into easy-to-follow instructions. It is definitely not a "baby bible", but a good starting point.
Carrie
Apr 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Great "new-dad" book. Reads like a car instruction manual and adds humor. FAST and EASY.

Author: Louis and Joe Borgenicht
Date Read- 4/25/09
Anastasia
Nov 24, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2006
This is a terrible, terrible take on human development. It is only fit to be a joke and I therefore wouldn't recommend it to any new parent.
Eastofoz
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, humor
Very funny. Reads & looks like a car manual --perfect for dads to be ;) ...more
Ed Watts
Feb 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny but informative. I like that it was straight to the point without waffle.
Also... BURRITO WRAP!
Christopher
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very amusing in style and presentation. Lots of useful information. Recommended for any new Dad that is also a Nerd and has a sense of humor about it.
Bayu Riyadi
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A technical guide for new parents with technical background. I really enjoyed reading this while preparing myself for the arrival of my baby boy. And I still go back to this book every time I need to check up on my baby's progress
James
Aug 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Great engineering explanation of babies. Some of the information was a tad over simplified, I would have appreciated more detail in some areas. But great for a simple manual.
Angela Randall
This book was always going to be a slightly humourous way of explaining baby stuff, so even when the points made are really obvious, you can giggle a little at the wording and imagery.

The first half is straightforward dot point advice that most people would know or would have found out from any baby book. The last two chapters covered growth and development then emergency safety information. In those chapters they managed to dot-point their way through a lot more information than I've seen in a
Lili
Sep 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone about to have a baby
Shelves: favorites
This is the only one of my many baby/pregnancy books that my husband read. He carried this thing with him everywhere. Great instructions on all the basic baby care stuff that you should know but don't and feel too dumb to ask a more experienced person. Great stuff to warn you on what to expect when the baby comes home all written in an electronics instructional manual style for humor.
Danielle Robertson
Aug 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-fitness
I love this book's approach to parenting. It makes it feel more manageable and less daunting when you describe children as if they were complicated machines with instructions to master. This book made me laugh and made me feel more confident heading into final weeks of pregnancy. I highly recommend it.
SaraLaLa
May 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I found it informative and I especially liked the appendix. The charts seem really useful.
Jillian
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Concise and readable baby care primer with a great sense of design and a good (if slightly overdone) sense of humor. Surprisingly helpful as a starting resource.
Vasil Kolev
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written, fun, and still extremely horrifying.
megan-redwitch
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my husband bought this book kind of as a joke - but we both ended up loving it. several doses practical, couple doses of well laid out & designed, & at least one dose funny / sarcastic tenor - also easy to reference as our little guy came a little early & we weren’t quite finished reading! (but did before his due date so we were on track originally : ) ) it may be best for first time parents but i feel almost any baby book is geared toward rookies - but this one also isn’t overwhelming either wh ...more
Kerri Beckman
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
A friend gifted me this book before my “model” came and I thought it was a joke book at first. I took a look at it later and found myself reading it cover to cover.
I love the layout and how they’ve made everything seem simpler. I mean that in a good way.
It seems like many are quick to get worried or hysterical about their babies if something doesn’t go exactly to plan. Understandable, really. Especially if it’s their first like me and mine.
Everything is calmly laid out and I enjoyed it.
However
Megan
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the setup of this book as it has information on many aspects of caring for a newborn and infant, without being overly wordy. The style of writing, as if it is a technology owner's manual, is amusing. It organizes the information in a helpful way, which makes it easy to reference or read out of order. It also has useful diagrams, and example charts you can use for tracking the various information you need to track about your baby. Both my husband and I enjoyed reading through this book. I ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• What to Expect the First Year (What to Expect)
  • The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips and Advice for Dads-to-Be
  • What to Expect When You're Expecting
  • The Happiest Baby on the Block: The New Way to Calm Crying and Help Your Newborn Baby Sleep Longer
  • We're Pregnant! The First Time Dad's Pregnancy Handbook
  • Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy
  • Be Prepared: A Practical Handbook for New Dads
  • The Sh!t No One Tells You: A Guide to Surviving Your Baby's First Year
  • The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding
  • Baby 411: Clear Answers & Smart Advice for Your Baby's First Year
  • Cribsheet: A Data-Driven Guide to Better, More Relaxed Parenting, from Birth to Preschool
  • The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year
  • The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two
  • The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth
  • The Baby Sleep Solution: A Proven Program to Teach Your Baby to Sleep Twelve Hours a Night
  • Expecting Better: Why the Conventional Pregnancy Wisdom is Wrong - and What You Really Need to Know
  • Secrets of the Baby Whisperer: How to Calm, Connect, and Communicate with Your Baby
  • Всичко за кърменето - или почти всичко, но практично

Owner’s/Instruction Manuals (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Dog Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance
  • The Cat Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Lifetime Maintenance (Owner's and Instruction Manual)
  • The Home Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on System Maintenance
  • The Groom's Instruction Manual: How to Survive and Possibly Even Enjoy the Most Bewildering Ceremony Known to Man
  • The Pregnancy Instruction Manual: Essential Information, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice for Parents-to-Be (Owner's and Instruction Manual)
  • The Bride's Instruction Manual: How to Survive and Possibly Even Enjoy the Biggest Day of Your Life
  • The Sex Instruction Manual: Essential Information and Techniques for Optimum Performance (Owner's and Instruction Manual)
  • The Newlywed's Instruction Manual: Essential Information, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice for the First Year of Marriage
  • The Teen Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Troubleshooting Tips, and Advice on Adolescent Maintenance (Owner's and Instruction Manual)
  • The Toddler Owner's Manual: Perating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips, and Advice on System Maintenance

News & Interviews