Start by marking “The Weaver Takes a Wife” as Want to Read:
The Weaver Takes a Wife

The Weaver Takes a Wife (Weaver #1)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  646 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Haughty Lady Helen Radney is one of London's most beautiful women
and the daughter of a duke, but her sharp tongue has frightened away most of
her suitors. When her father gambles away his fortune, the duke's only chance
for recouping his losses lies in marrying off Lady Helen to any man wealthy
enough to take a bride with nothing to recommend her but a lovely face and an
Nook, 147 pages
Published January 1st 2007 by Belgrave House (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Weaver Takes a Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Weaver Takes a Wife

Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I was very pleasantly surprised with this one, it is one of the cutest regency books I’ve read. I really enjoyed the story line and our two main characters Ethan and Helen. Helen is not too excited about her marriage to Ethan, but slowly she begins to see what a catch this non-gentleman is. At first I was not that impressed with him, I think the way he spoke really turned me off (a part of my was hoping it was just a pretending), after awhile I didn’t notice it as much and I fell for him along w ...more
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Georgette Heyer
Shelves: unrequited
Genre: light traditional Regency
Sensuality: kisses only

A mill owner falls in love with the haughty daughter of a duke and buys her for marriage. He eventually wins her over with his smarts, good humour, and gentleness.

One of the best trad Regency I've read in a decade or so. I prefer the comedic Mary Balogh or Marion Chesney to Georgette Heyer but if you like any of the three, you should like this.

Rating: 4.25
Greatly enjoyed reading this - was great company on my Saturday. Whilst writing this I've already started the second book.

I found Cobb South's mix of wit and brevity a great combination. Whilst reading some of the vocabulary, turns of phrase used reminded me very much of My Fair Lady.

Fits slot 2. of my reading challenge - a book that's been on your TBR list for way too long
This thoroughly charming Regency Romance, originally published in 1999 and now re-issued in digital formats, features a type of hero rarely found in historical romance. Mr Ethan Brundy isn’t titled, he isn’t a gentleman or a snappy dresser and while not unattractive, is no well-muscled Adonis. The one thing he does have in common with many an aristocratic hero, however, is that he’s incredibly wealthy.

The owner of a cotton mill and various other businesses in the north of England, Ethan is on a
This was a lovely little story. Nothing at all too challenging about it and I read it straight through in a few hours. Very working class factory owner falls in love with Duke's daughter at first sight and, essentially, buys her from her Father who is in serious financial difficulties. Probably not a realistic story (for a Duke, that is) until later in the 19th century but, other than that, it felt very period appropriate.

I liked Ethan's easy confidence and the sense that none of the tons set d
I really enjoyed this sweet regency. It is light on character development. The author does not delve all that deeply into what the characters are feeling. The hero was particularly well done with his sense of humor hinted at by the expressions on his face. His actions were kind and his words to her were lovely. The heroine was a bit less enjoyable but it didn't take her long to come around to appreciating him.

The story line was both novel and well used. The hero here was a textile mill owner, w
Mary - Buried Under Romance
My feelings on this are pretty much the same as that of Old Latin Teacher's review on Amazon.

Her review is here:
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our hero here is not titled. As a matter of fact, he spent a good deal of his youth in the workhouse for the poor, never knew who his father was and never got much of an education. He's not tall and handsome, has terrible taste in clothing and doesn't pronounce his h's. So, blimey, that's not much of a romance novel 'ero, is it?

Well, now you know what he isn't. So what is he? For one thing, he's very rich, having worked his way up from the poorhouse all the way to owning his own textile mill and
A short but very entertaining regency romance. The hero is very likable and the heroine, although at the beginning is very proud and bad-mannered, changes completely (this change wasn't so detailed and this is why I gave 4 instead of 5 stars).
Ok. Perhaps a main plot is a cliche:

A good man falls in love in a more or less spoiled girl, thanks to his money marries her, and of course with time she starts to see his good heart and falls in love too. Add to this some misunderstandings and you have a classic plot for a romance.

But all depends on that if it was good used. And it was done very good here.

It is a rather short novel and it made for me a funny, enjoyable Sunday. And when I finished it I had a big, sweet smile on my face.

If you w
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Myrt's Review

The Weaver Takes a Wife by Sheri Cobb South

Killing Her With Kindness

Lady Helen Radney is one of the most beautiful women of the ton, her father is a duke from a long lineage, so she should be the most desirable candidate for the Marriage Mart.  Unfortunately, Lady Helen has a caustic personality that would give a fishwife pause.  Her haughty, unpleasant manner coupled with the fact her father has bankrupted their estate with his excessive gambling has left her with few willing sui
Isa Lavinia

Book provided by the author through Netgalley

A sweet and simple Regency romance.

Ethan Brundy, an illegitimate orphan, rose to wealth from his impoverished past in the workhouse. As soon as he sees Lady Helen at the theatre he vows she'll be his wife.
Lady Helen is on her third season, having scared all her suitors with her sharp tongue and, as fate would have it, her father's gaming debts make it crucial that she should be advantageously married. Which is how, against her will, she e
This is Regency in the tradition of Georgette Heyer. It borrows heavily from April Lady and also from Pygmalion. (There's even a Col. Pickering!) Mr. Brundy isn't a dashing hero but he's a nice man and likable in his own way. Helen is spoiled and not very likable in the beginning but her character has depth and as the story goes on she grows and matures. There's a slight element of danger to make things more interesting but mostly this is a quiet book about life as a married couple. For me, this ...more
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delightful. I loved every minute of this engaging story.
While Sheri Cobb South weaves colorful pictures in ones mind, Noah Michael Levine tells this tale in the audiobook with so much gusto and feeling that he totally brings it to life.
I was voluntarily provided this free review copy audiobook by the author, narrator, or publisher.
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was simply a delightful fun romance. It kept me flipping pages well into the night because I had to finish it. My only complaint would be that it wasn't five times as long!
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite story lines in Historical Romance is that of a romance that crosses the classes of society and boy did this one ever. A wealthy mill owner with the lowest of pedigrees falls in love at first sight with the daughter of an impoverished duke. The Lady Helen despises him on sight, but this does not detour Ethan Brundy. Yep, and when the bell rings come out of your corners fighting... except that oddly dressed, quietly assertive gentle man didn't give Helen the fight she was aiming ...more
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I love "The Weaver Takes a Wife," this sweet treasure of a story is how Regency should be written, I felt as though I was transported into that era. The author did an amazing job of conveying historical accuracy, character consistency, and realism. However, it was the hero, Ethan Brundy, who made this book such an exquisite read.

The main characters are former workhouse orphan, Ethan Brundy turned successful mill owner and the beautiful, yet caustic Lady Helen Radney, one of the most aristocratic
Eileen Dandashi
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Audiobook Review:

A man is not the clothes he wears or his manner of speech. He is an accumulation of his experiences, his intellect, and above all his concern and respect for his fellow man. Lady Helen Radney, daughter to a duke, does not want to learn anything about her newly acquired husband, Ethan Brundy. Ethan Brundy’s occupation? Weaver. Doesn’t that say it all?

This book was first published in 1999, republished last year with the audio produced at the beginning of this year. It’s satisfying
Apr 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't read Regency romances because I find their descriptions all to be the same. There's always a woman who is trying to get out of a forced marriage only to do something desperate which lands her into the lap of a Duke who she's forced to marry. And the Duke usually has some bad love affair from his past that has gone wrong which makes him wary of entering a marriage other than name only. Sound familiar?
The Weaver Takes a Wife caught my eye, thanks to another reviewer, because the descripti
Simona Nielsen
Audiobook review: I can't even begin to describe how much I love this regency story and how captivating it was. Sheri Cobb South is my new favorite author in the historical fiction/regency genre!

This is a story about a successful, wealthy and low-born weaver, Ethan Bundy, who falls deeply in love with the high-born Lady Helen who agrees to marry him. Not for love, but to save her father from his debts.

Lady Helen is spoiled and obnoxious in the beginning, but she will grow on you and her characte
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency
Lady Helen Radney is an absolute ice queen, haughty and proud and unwilling to marry anyone she doesn't deem perfect. When her family faces financial ruin she is given 2 distasteful options- marry a rich tradesman or support herself as a governess or companion. She agrees to marry the socially inept tradesman Ethan Brundy, who also happens to be one of the richest men in the land. Helen is mortified to be the wife of someone so far beneath her social station but in time she begins to see what a ...more
Got this audio book from the author. I had read this 17 years ago when it first came out and remembered it fondly. I love a romance between unequal partners particularly when the heroine is in a higher position than the hero. It did not disappoint on second reading. Sheri has a nice way with a humorous turn of phrase. The narrator was very good, but sometimes let the Weaver's plebian northern accent bled into his narration. Also, with most male narrators, his female voice tended to be affected a ...more
Ethan Brundy is a charmer!
Pauline Ross
This book was a complete delight - right up until the point where it descended into stupidity and farce. The premise: Mr Ethan Brundy is a Lancashire mill-owner, formerly in the work-house, now fabulously wealthy but still showing a strong accent and appalling dress sense. Lady Helen Radley is the sharp-tongued daughter of the impoverished Duke of Reddington that Brundy falls in love with across a crowded theatre. Arranged marriage ensues.

Brundy is a glorious character, impossible to dislike, qu
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book on the recommendation in the forward by Mary Balogh, who is one of my favorite authors. This is not a typical historical romance in as it is not about two protagonists from the same social enviornment. The hero is a working class man who grew up in a workhouse and eventually was sold to a mill owner. When the story opens he now owns the mill and is a very rich man. He is not handsome or refined and his taste in clothes is awful. He even speaks with a low born accent. He sees the ...more
May 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend Sarah recommended this book, and I'm SO GLAD she did. This book is just pure delight.

The Weaver Takes a Wife is a novel that has a Pygmalion essence to it. Ethan Brundy is a fatherless orphan who through hard work and good luck has amassed a very large fortune. His breeding makes him shunned by most of London society. But, when he spies Lady Helen Radney at the theater, he declares that she will be his wife.

A nice clean romance, easily read in one sitting. It is definitely worth tracki
Wonderful! Delightful characters and setting. So nice to actually have a story with a look at real life (the mill etc) The only slight annoyance was Brundy's dialect, which made him sound (to my ears) far older than he actually was, though that is probably because its very much a generational thing nowadays.

The subplot with the brother was okay, but the story as it stood, with the two MCs was refreshing, humorous and delicious.
Kate Sherwood
I really liked the fisrt part - unconventional hero, crabby heroine - yay! But it got a bit silly toward the end. I've noticed this before with other historicals - the first part is all about establishing authenticity and making me really FEEL the setting, and then the second part blows it all to hell with an unlikely adventure or whatever.

So, four stars for the first half, two stars for the second?
Cute, cute story, although somewhat lacking in "that" department" *LOL*
Jul 22, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: clean
A sweet novel. However, the story of Ethan and Helen continues in the background of the next two books and Helen tries to cheat repeatedly on her husband in the 3rd book.
  • Fallen Angel
  • The Plumed Bonnet (Stapleton-Downes, #6)
  • Lady Elizabeth's Comet (Clanross, #1)
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)
  • Miss Jacobson's Journey (Rothschild Trilogy, #1)
  • The Primrose Path
  • Mr. Malcolm's List
  • Quiet Meg (Regency Trilogy, #1)
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • A Proper Companion (Regency Rakes, #1)
  • A London Season (Regency Duo, #1)
  • Brighton Road
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Charming the Duke
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • The Female Correspondent

Weaver (3 books)
  • Brighton Honeymoon (Weaver, #2)
  • French Leave (Weaver, #3)

Romance Deals

• Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick #2)
    $4.99 $2
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Spiraled (Callahan & McLane #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Bailey (Ace Security #3)
  • The Girl in Times Square: A Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Daring Arrangement (The Four Hundred, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Return to Homecoming Ranch (Pine River Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up Book 1)
    $3.99 $2
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • The Third Wish: A Novella
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Walking on Her Grave (Rogue River, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Repressed (Deadly Secrets, #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Promises (Broken #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • From Sand and Ash
  • Dreamology
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Curse Breakers (The Curse Keepers #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
    $3.99 $2
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
  • The Devil's Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chilled (Bone Secrets, #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Curse Keepers (The Curse Keepers #1)
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Bearly in Control (Shifters Undercover, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
  • Sheltering Rain
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Judgment (Cassidy & Spenser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Breathless
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Happened One Midnight (Pennyroyal Green, #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Accidentally on Purpose (Heartbreaker Bay, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • She Can Scream (She Can Series, Book 3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Fashionable Indulgence (Society of Gentlemen, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Buried (Bone Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $2
  • Beautiful Broken Mess (Broken #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • One More Night (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
“Mr. Brundy," she said with a nod, making the most perfunctory of curtsies to her father's guest.
He made no move to take her hand, but merely bowed and responded in kind. "Lady 'elen."
"My name is Helen, Mr. Brundy," she said coldly.
"Very well- 'elen," said Mr. Brundy, surprised and gratified at being given permission, and on such short acquaintance, to dispense with the use of her courtesy title.”
“If your brother can't 'old 'is own against a bunch of orphans, 'e'd best leave off playing 'azard altogether!” 5 likes