Start by marking “Race to the End: Amundsen, Scott, and the Attainment of the South Pole” as Want to Read:
Race to the End: Amundsen, Scott, and the Attainment of the South Pole

Race to the End: Amundsen, Scott, and the Attainment of the South Pole

4.26  ·  Rating details ·  73 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In connection with the world-famous American Museum of Natural History: the gripping true story of the race to the South Pole

A beautifully told, impeccably researched, and stunningly illustrated account of the arduous quest for social advancement, scientific knowledge, recognition, and pride.

A century ago, England's Robert Falcon Scott and Norway’s Roald Amundsen— two exp
Published May 4th 2010 by Sterling Innovation (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Race to the End, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race to the End

Kelly
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I can't get enough of the heroic age of polar exploration. Every author is using the same source material, it's not like new diaries are being discovered, but it's captivating every time. The real advantage to this book is the photographs, not only the usual black and white shots from the expeditions, but also more rare photos that I had never seen. Every book contains the classic tragic shot of Scott and his companions at the South Pole, but this book also included two additional photos where t ...more
Lushbug
Jul 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing

This book is a fantastic, lovingly illustrated retelling of the 1911 nimrod expedition to the South Pole that ended in tragedy. The book is in written in conjunction of the Natural History museums exhibition on the subject (can't wait to see it).

Whilst I will never fully understand why people feel the need put their life at risk just to be the first to plant a flag I can't help but admire sheer determination and bravery in the face of adversity. The Antarctic is an unforgiving place and in1911
Lee
Jan 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This book is beautifully illustrated. As it states in the preface, it was written to accompany the American Museum of Natural History's new Antarctic exhibit. I borrowed it from my local library just to enjoy the photos of artifacts from the Scott and Amundsen expeditions. There are also great photos from the expeditions themselves.

I will confess that I returned the book before I read the main text, although I found the extensive captions on the photos themselves informative.
Johnny
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book. Heroes that were human and had faults but still lived heroically. Good counterpoint to Endurance presenting a more human view of Amundsen and Scott. Indeed even give a little more human view of of Ernest.
Good read for those of us who know the only perfect guy we crucified but still are not afraid to live large.
Thanks Ben.
Jeanne Larson
This book was interestingly written. I don't usually find myself pulled along by documentary style reading, but this author included anecdotes and enough intrigue and backstory to make it a good read. Illustrations were helpful too. I'd recommend it, both from an historical and entertainment point of view.
Jen
Jun 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
Fascinating, if you like polar exploration and Antarctica. Pretty depressing, though, because of the tragic end of one of the expeditions. Also, has lots of photos from the expedition and of artifacts.
S.P.
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Not a comprehensive narrative, but a reasonably detailed, well-executed summary of the “race,” with many fascinating photographs and maps that do not appear in other published accounts. A quick, worthwhile read.
Hardeep
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Excellent photography, not quite the same caliber as that of Shackletons expedition, but still quite amazing. Good read.
Pandan
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
An inspiration!
Angela Wade
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
The only thing missing was the diaries.
Jeff
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent account of these two expeditions. The text, maps, and photos do a solid job of explaining the harsh incredibly difficult conditions these explorers had to endure.
Scott
Apr 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: exploration
One of the best exploration books I have read! Superb pictures and historical insight too!
Pandan