Start by marking “Crab Cab: Flip-a-Word (Flip-a Word)” as Want to Read:
Crab Cab: Flip-a-Word (Flip-a Word)

Crab Cab: Flip-a-Word (Flip-a-Word)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  94 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
This unique, interactive early reading book invites children to flip the pages and - presto-change-o! - a different word and picture appears.
Published April 8th 2009 by Blue Apple Books

To ask other readers questions about Crab Cab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crab Cab

Megan
Nov 19, 2009 rated it liked it
Good for beginning readers. And any book that teaches the "OT" sound by using the word "snot" will be a hit with kids.
Adeline Miller
Nov 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for beginning readers.
Wooden Horse
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it
I like these clever little books. Especially in the paperback editions as they are the right price and trim size for our leveled reader spinner rack. Each page has a half circle cut out along the bottom that allows a "word chunk" to carry forward to the next page. For instance the title page "crab cab" would be presented on two facing pages. One with "crab" and the other with "cab". The cut out would contain the letters "ab" so that the child could see that both words contain the same ending sou ...more
jacky
Jul 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lib-lew, early-reader
Aug 2014:
Natalie liked reading this. It is a mix of phonics because of the use of word families and picture clues. I would have preferred it focus on one word family.

June 2016:
William's first real reading experience! Snot and blab should not have been first in my opinion. The words tot and dab weren't super familiar either. But he really worked at the basics of sounding out, blending, and figuring out which sound for letters with muliple sounds. We talked about using a combination of letter sou
Sarah Adamson
I delayed writing the review so we could read this a few times. This book's basic idea is wonderful. It is a very early reader book for the starter reader and my daughter loved trying to find out the words and the rhyming words especially. My limit to three stars is because of the choice of some of their words which are a bit inappropriate and spoil it somewhat. I'll look for more in this series and hope for better words..
Sunnyvale Librarian
An excellent place to start for beginning readers, this book introduces the word families ot (as in hot & pot), ab (as in crab & blab), and it (as in sit & knit) decorated with cute, silly, Japanese-style illustration. If you like this book, check out Pig Wig, Snow Bow, Stop Pop, Snake Cake, Wet Pet, and Quack Shack.
Erma Talamante
A great rhyming book about sounds and word families, featuring the 'ot' family, the 'ab' family, and the 'it' family. The simple words, humorous pictures, and nifty cut-outs make this a great pre-reading to beginning reader tool.

Read full review here:
Connor
Jan 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought it was actually kind of nice.
Ellen
Jul 29, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I like this series a lot for the earliest beginner readers. However, I don't think "knit" is a beginner reader word or any word for that matter that has a silent letter.
Tiffany
Mar 06, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gross! The "ot" words include "snot" and "snot pot," which have been illustrated for your child. Wildly inappropriate.
Heather
Aug 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
what child won't love an unintimidating early reader book including the word snot??
marmix
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Our favorite series for new readers, but the "snot" rhyme is unnecessary and off-putting to some.
Kari
Jun 25, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1st-reader
Could have done without "snot"
Stacey
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The cover art alone rates this five stars. I may need to get it made into a tattoo.
Nicki
comparable to Bob books, CVC words
Carol
Cute fun word families for beginning readers.
Amanda
Jan 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-s-books
Another in this fabulous learn to read (for even the littlest readers) series.
Dona
Feb 04, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crab Cab is a fun change for children practicing their phonics. Flipping pages to change the word is reminiscent of Sesame streets segments on n...ot...not etc.
Cindy Foley
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: emmett
harder was snake cake - ok thing
like pictures
liked it
Rebecca
Apr 10, 2017
Taylor
rated it did not like it
Jun 26, 2012
Nov 30, 2009
Nathan
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Harriet Ziefert grew up in North Bergen, New Jersey, where she attended the local schools. She graduated from Smith College, then received a Masters degree in Education from New York University.

For many years, Ziefert was an elementary school teacher. She taught most grades from kindergarten to fifth grade. "I liked it," she said, but she stopped teaching when she had her own sons. When her childr
More about Harriet Ziefert...

Flip-a-Word (9 books)
  • Flip-a-Word: Pig Wig
  • Flip-a-Word: Wet Pet
  • Flip-a-Word: Snake Cake
  • Flip-a-Word: Quack Shack
  • Flip-a-Word: Stop Pop
  • Flip-a-Word: Snow Bow Board Book (Flip - a -Word)
  • Flip-a-Word: Ice Mice