Start by marking “Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)” as Want to Read:
Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)

Slightly Scandalous

(Bedwyn Saga #3)

Meet the Bedwyns…six brothers and sisters—men and women of passion and privilege, daring and sensuality.

Enter their dazzling world of high society and breathtaking seduction…where each will seek love, fight temptation, and court scandal…and where Freyja Bedwyn, the wild-hearted daughter, meets her match in a man as passionate, reckless, and scandalous as she.

Growing up wit
Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Published October 2011 by Dell Random House (first published June 3rd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Slightly Scandalous, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Slightly Scandalous

Start your review of Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga, #3)
Dina
May 03, 2009 rated it liked it
As someone who had been quite happy hating Freyja Bedwyn since meeting her in A Summer to Remember, I have no qualms admitting that I wasn't very thrilled about reading her book. At the same time, I couldn't help feeling some kind of morbid anxiety about it, as I wondered if Ms. Balogh would be able to redeem "lovely" Freyja. So, it was with some trepidation that I started reading Slightly Scandalous...

As the story opens, Freyja has left Lindsey Hall, her older brother Wulf's estate, and is on h
Jan
Jun 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Original review Oct 2016:
Not the best in this series, but still an enjoyable HR read. I have been rereading this series, slightly out of order, and enjoying it all over again. This one is Freya Bedwyn's story, and her slightly reluctant romance with Joshua, Marquess of Hallmere.

I like that Freya is portrayed as being a strong woman, full of character, but not having the most beautiful face in the world. But she is still attractive, sexy, and charismatic. It's nice to have an appealing
Susana

With all justice, this should probably get a two/ two and a half star rating, but, I did manage to read this in less than a day, so it has to get at least an half star for that reason entirely.

This is what?
The fourth or fifth book I've read by this author, and I still can't say that this is a favourite series.
This was written in 2004 _ I think _ so maybe her latest instalments are better?
I can only wonder.

So far, a pattern seems to exist: I struggle with the beginnings and I end up enjoyin
Andrea
If it weren't for the fact that I absolutely love Mary Balogh's writing, I would give this one star for the horrible heroine and awful aunt. But I did like the Bedwyn family overall, I did like the hero. But I'm sorry. I tried to like Freyja, but I just couldn't.
Very early on, she jumps to conclusions, hits the hero on the nose (it's a really annoying habit of hers), and marches off without talking to him. At their next meeting, she causes a huge scene in public and demands he be taken into cus
Caz
Another outstanding performance by Rosalyn Landor bumps this into the 5 star bracket.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it
I usually dislike heroines whose first impulse is to hit someone. I loved Freyja Bedwyn, though.

I thought I would be annoyed by her behaviour throughout the story. She wasn't the warmest person so far, after all. Actually, the prequel introduces her as an almost despicable character: jealous, petty, full of herself and so on. She has been redeemed without being changed as a person here. I loved her.

As for the romance, it starts as a sort of a trick and every new situation prolongs their tricker
Marcia
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: chic-lit, challenges
This historical romance was pretty funny but a little bit too long. i'm not sure I like my protagonists to be quite so headstrong, but it was cute none the less. as far as the historical accuracy, it felt like those details may have been a little loose... so I just be prepared to suspend some disbelief.
Karen
Oct 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Slightly Scandalous is the third book in the Slightly series by Mary Balogh. We first meet Freyja Bedwyn in A Summer to Remember. I didn't like Freyja in that book. I didn't like any of the Bedwyns, in fact. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed reading Aiden's book Slightly Married and Rannulf's Slightly Wicked. I figured that if MB could turn Rannulf into a sexy, likable hero then I should like Freyja too, right?

Wrong. Freyja Bedwyn was easily one of the worst heroines I have come a
Zoe
Jul 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
Freyja hater, yep, that's me, guilty as charged.

The rating is not a reflection of Ms. Balogh's writing. This is Freyja hating, plain and simple. My disgust for Freyja runs deep. I read this book many, I repeat, many years ago. And I still remember how disgusted I was by Freyja. This is a 200% personal feeling. I am certain that she would appeal to another group of readers who love her to pieces. I respect that. It is just my feelings are on the other side of the spectrum. She completely destroy
Shannon
Aug 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars rounded up because I love Mary Balogh! I could have skipped this book in the series and been perfectly okay with that. It is not my favorite. I felt like I spent half the book trying to keep track of the characters strewn throughout this series.

The plot follows much the same theme as in the first 2, which doesn't really bother me. It's a theme I like and can read over and over... the refusal to marry when the characters are obviously in love. The side plot about a maybe murder took bac
Sophia
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lady Freyja Bedwyn has been a larger than life presence since the prequel to this series and as a secondary character for each of her two brothers' romances. Now, for her turn, I was eager to see who would be her match. And, oh, was he a doozy. Somewhat spoiled and arrogant, not just any noble hero would do. This was one of the two Bedwyn stories that I have wanted since I encountered them and it was as colorful and exciting as I could have predicted.

Slightly Scandalous is book three in the Bedw
Juliana Philippa
The haughty and unusual Freyja meets her match in Joshua, a laughing Adonis

This is a very enjoyable book. The sparring between Freyja and Joshua is wonderful and it's funny seeing her lose her temper with him - sometimes in very public places. They have very different personalities, but complement each other very well and seem destined for one another (and the chemistry between them is great!). One of the highlights is encountering the other members of the Bedwyn family again; they contribute gr
Denise
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just can't get enough of this Bedwyn family! I was not looking forward to Freyja's story at all, I truly hated her in the other books, although we got to catch glimpses of her in a better light in Slightly Wicked Well we got to know her well enough here that I was able to get over my dislike of her and am now full of appreciation of her spectacular wit! She and Joshua certainly met their match in each other even though they were opposites in many ways. He was described as gorgeous while she i ...more
kathie
4.5 Having read all the Bedwyn stories, I saved this for last since I wasn't sure I even wanted to read Freyja's story. I guess I was still mad at her for her actions in "Summer to Remember". I guess I can forgive her now because I really did like this book...although I could of done without all her slugging of people. Josh was wonderful...I loved him. Loved "seeing" all the rest of the family too. What a great series!!

April 2020: In the process of re-reading the entire series but in audio forma
The Anxious Bookaholic
Sep 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book in the series if you ask me. It was funny and easy to read, a bit more wicked and passionate then the previous two books. It is simply impossible not to love Freyja - she is independent, clever, spontaneous and a bit bitchy. I found myself laughing non stop throughout the whole book - the way she hit Joshua on several occasions ( and I was like a cheerleader at home shouting "you go girl!" ).
If are a fan or Julia Quinn or Lisa Kleypas and you haven't read this book yet I su
Alvina
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
TW: rape off screen

I dont usually describe my visual headcanons on goodreads but something about the descriptions of an “ugly” heroine with handsome striking features, and blonde hair in disarray was so vivid I couldnt help but imagine Freyja as Linda Vojtova, a model with a strong aquiline nose and the non-dainty kind of beauty.

description

I applaud Mary Balogh for succeeding where many others have failed; she’s written such a self-confident, reflective, complex heroine without erring into TSTL category.
Kristin
I am loving this series. Freya is a hard-to-like heroine, and I was wary going in that I wouldn't grow to love her, but I did. Josh is my perfect romance hero - a good-natured rogue with a heart of gold.

I loved the smart teasing and competitiveness between these two. In an enemies to lovers trope, I find the taunting can veer into meanness or spitefulness, but Balogh avoids that here. I also was charmed that both Kit and Freya found their love match through fake engagements. I love the symmetry
Merry Jewelhound
Jul 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
This series has been a bit hit or miss for me. I enjoyed this book as much of it showcases a strong women who commands a room. She is not a beauty but has that "something". Interesting story with some twists and turns. Not fond of the "sweetheart" and nose punching....but these are nit picking on my part.
Nefise
As usual it was very delightful reading. Also, it was more than I expected.

I can say that it includes all the elements in a romance book that I want. It became one of my favorites written by Mary Balogh's books.
Jacob Proffitt
Sep 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: steamy, romance
I had been looking forward to Freyja's book with some trepidation; I so wanted it to be good. I liked her independence and sense of fun for what little we see her in the prior two books and I hoped we'd see that expanded on here. This was everything I was looking forward to and more.

Freyja was everything I was looking forward to: confident, assertive, a little wild, and very, very willing to speak up for herself. Her initial meeting with Joshua was everything I hoped for and that she maintained
Ira
Feb 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
3.25 stars.

After boring 25%, the story improved.
But the hero grins too much for my taste and Freyja still a rather silly cow who was grumpy for the whole story. I know that suppose to be her character but don't like it all.
However the storyline is good though and I love Prue too, she is Joshua's cousin, she has a DS, right? Her character made us see the ugly and the good side of Joshua's relatives.

I will love to read Wulf, Morgan and Alleyne's stories too but much later on!:)
Sammy Loves Books
Joshua Moore, Marquess of Hallmark
description

Joshua is a Greek God!! Not literally... but he is gorgeous and many females are vying for his attention. But Freyja is the only lady in his sites. She's his soul mate...he just doesn't know it yet.

Lady Freyja

description

Lady Freyja is a ball buster. When most ladies might cower and cry at an insult, Freyja is most likely to punch you in the nose. If she fears an act, she is more likely to do it conquer it. And she isn't afraid to speak her mind. She's my kinda heroine!!

"
Renae
This was, by Mary Balogh’s standards, a fairly poor book. Which isn’t exactly a bad book by general standards, but still. I get that any author who’s written dozens of novels is likely to redo certain themes or tropes, to a certain extent. But Slightly Scandalous is just...too much. Too much, I say.

Readers first met Freyja Bedwyn in A Summer to Remember , which was about Kit and Lauren. To sum up the plot of that particular book: the heir of a title dies unexpectedly, forcing his brother to a
Saly
Quirky Omega
So good. It gets really dreamy in some instances. Especially when the two characters just can't fight their attraction. I really felt like whistling at them but manners and all that.
Macayla Fryc
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Ahem.
Allow me to introduce to you the names presented within the first 2.5 half-sized pages:
Freyja Bedwyn
Lauren Edgeworth
Kit Butler Viscount of Ravensberg
Jerome
Alvesley

If it weren't for the occurrence of a single laugh and the fact someone got punched, I would have turned tail and ran.

But I digress. I'm sure the author is just getting this out of the way. Will continue to chapter 2...
Chap
Nastassja
Jul 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: lovers of "from hate to love" relationship

Slightly Scandalous was delightful and easy read. This book made me laugh a lot. Mary Balogh masterly deliver the story and she is rightfully one of the best writers in historical romance genre.

MCs had an amazing dynamic between them. Their encounters and banters made me laugh joyfully. Very good suited together couple. Lots of fun but also lots of angst and I absolute enjoyed it.

One thing for sure: this book will put a smile on your face and make you relax after a hard working day.

Natalie
"It was the moment at which Freyja realized fully what grave peril she was in. Every minute was revealing more and more of his humanity to her."

I remember halfway reading this book I kept telling other people--- "I really love Freyja! But I need to see more of what Josh really is." Balogh keeps up with the whole "gradual, blink and miss it, growing" kind of love as opposed to sweeping emotions and grand gestures (which I do love too! I love all kinds of love bye) and I really liked it.

I felt li
Sonia189
Feb 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book, not as amazing as the previous one was (to me) but offered interesting elements, especially how wonderful the protagonists were and tried not to be. The best thing? All the family and character's interactions, which really made this book feel alive. :)
LuvGirl
I thought I was gonna enjoy this book but I didn't. The heroine was very unlikable. She described herself as being ugly but it was her personality that I thought was ugly. Not even half way through I was kicking myself for investing my time in this book since I didn't think the heroine deserved the hero.
X's & O's Romance...: Romantic Historical Fiction May\June 1 3 Jun 08, 2017 12:44PM

• His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)
  • Love in the Afternoon (The Hathaways, #5)
  • Seduce Me at Sunrise (The Hathaways, #2)
  • Married By Morning (The Hathaways, #4)
  • Tempt Me at Twilight (The Hathaways, #3)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • Suddenly You
  • Devil in Winter (Wallflowers, #3)
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • London's Perfect Scoundrel (Lessons in Love, #2)
  • The Last Hellion (Scoundrels, #4)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Rake (Davenport, #2)
  • To Seduce A Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)
  • A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
  • When He Was Wicked (Bridgertons, #6)
  • Vixen in Velvet (The Dressmakers, #3)
Mary Jenkins was born in 1944 in Swansea, Wales, UK. After graduating from university, moved to Saskatchewan, Canada, to teach high school English, on a two-year teaching contract in 1967. She married her Canadian husband, Robert Balogh, and had three children, Jacqueline, Christopher and Sian. When she's not writing, she enjoys reading, music and knitting. She also enjoys watching tennis and curl ...more

Bedwyn Saga (6 books)
  • Slightly Married (Bedwyn Saga, #1)
  • Slightly Wicked (Bedwyn Saga, #2)
  • Slightly Tempted (Bedwyn Saga, #4)
  • Slightly Sinful (Bedwyn Saga, #5)
  • Slightly Dangerous (Bedwyn Saga, #6)