Start by marking “A Conspiracy of Tall Men” as Want to Read:
A   Conspiracy of Tall Men

A Conspiracy of Tall Men

3.18  ·  Rating details ·  274 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Linus Owen is a young professor of conspiracy theory at a small college just outside San Francisco. He teaches graduate-level classes on JFK and gives seminars on magic-bullet theories and how the symbols on the dollar bill reveal the presence of a secret government that is leading the world to ruin.
Linus' marriage is foundering and his wife, Claudia, an up-and-coming ad
Published September 1st 1999 by Gallery Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about A Conspiracy of Tall Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Conspiracy of Tall Men

Orsodimondo
ROAD TO NOWHERE
A Conspiracy of Tall Men è il titolo originale, e quindi, i lunghi del titolo italiano sono uomini alti.

description
Foto di André Thijssen

Noah Hawley è la persona che ha creato la serie Fargo, una delle mie preferite (e il film è probabilmente il mio preferito dei fratelli Cohen). Questa è la ragione che mi ha spinto a leggere questo libro.

E ad arrivare fino in fondo: nonostante 400 pagine che sin dall’inizio hanno mostrato più di un problema. Sin dall’inizio scrittura e trama mi sono sembrat
Sally Cartwright
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
I was quite enjoying this book due to it being an unusual topic: Consoiravy theories are not normally my thing. However despite some good plot twists the ending was very unsatisying - I didn't realise it even was the ending until I turned the page. Disappointing for this reason. Not sure I'd rush to read another....
Ἀθηνᾶ
Magari sarò stupida, ma io di questo libro non ho veramente capito nulla. Ho capito che c'è una cospirazione, ma non ho capito quale e neanche perché erano così interessati a Linus.
La scrittura era anche buona, ma non ho apprezzato il tempo dei verbi e a volte un discorso era lungo più di venti righe e alle 3 io mi ero già persa.
Sinceramente se dovessi consigliare questo libro non lo farei neanche con una pistola puntata alla tempia.
Frances
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had forgotten that I even had this book; but discovered it when I was adding Hawley's Before the Fall to my card catalog last year. This book was published in 1998 and is very much a first book, but quite fun.
The central character, Linus, is a professor of conspiracy theories at a small college in San Rafael. It is very reminiscent of the X-Files and the Lone Gunmen, which I was very much in-to in 1998 also.
Jonathan Kramer
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A debut novel, this story is terrific as is the word smith abilities of the author. I couldn't put it down finishing the book in a matter of days. Great characters, subplots and twists and nicely paced too. In some ways it reminded me of the Mel Gibson/Julia Roberts movie minus the wacko character Mel plays. Good stuff all the way to the end
Brianna Sowinski
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a weird one, I like Hawley but this felt like a first book. Entertaining but I would not recommend.
Kathleen K. Huie
Mar 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I love Fargo, and I’d read all of Hawley’s other books, so I thought I’d read this one. To be honest, I had a hard time taking the whole story seriously. The characters were, indeed, quirky and mostly lovable (even the “bad” guys); the writing was fun if a little over descriptive (he is a screen-writer, after all); but I couldn’t decide if the story was a satire of conspiracy theorists, an absurdist novel about a missing wife, or a serious story about real conspiracies. Or all three? I found mys ...more
Tara Young
Feb 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love Noah Hawley books and waited to read this knowing it would be a 'for sure' pleasant read. I couldn't get through it. Sure, I read it but only because it's a Noah Hawley book. Truth be told, I skimmed a lot and couldn't wait for it to end. That's never happened before. I saved his first book for last and now have to wait for his latest book. Or, wait for the TV show FARGO
Lora Shouse
Nov 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I never did see where the tall men came in.

Linus Owen believes in conspiracy theories – teaches conspiracy theory at a small college in California, in fact. His two best friends are conspiracy theorists too. At first the book looks as if it will be a humorous send up of conspiracy theories generally.

But early in the book, Linus is informed that his wife has been killed in a plane crash in Florida – when she was supposed to be visiting her mother in Chicago. Linus is sent to identify her body.

Na
Space
Nov 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The first time I read this novel I was a little slow to start, because of the awkward writing style Noah takes. It's great - don't get me wrong - but it took a bit to get used to. It's not only first-person perspective, but also present tense. "I'm walking up and trying the door." Wow. This was my first encounter with such a style, and after I got into it, I really enjoyed it.

If you like conspiracy theories and gatherings of highly intelligent - if a little quirky - guys, then you'll probably qu
  • Cult Rapture
  • Ultimate Sacrifice: John and Robert Kennedy, the Plan for a Coup in Cuba, and the Murder of JFK
  • You are STILL Being Lied To: The NEW Disinformation Guide to Media Distortion, Historical Whitewashes, and Cultural Myths
  • The Trust
  • The Senate Intelligence Committee Report on Torture: Committee Study of the Central Intelligence Agency's Detention and Interrogation Program
  • The WikiLeaks Files: The World According to US Empire
  • Names on the Land: A Historical Account of Place-Naming in the United States (New York Review Books Classics)
  • Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups
  • America's Secret War: Inside the Hidden Worldwide Struggle Between the United States and Its Enemies
  • Low Down Death Right Easy
  • Torn Wings and Faux Pas: A Flashbook of Style, a Beastly Guide Through the Writer's Labyrinth
  • The Old Farmer's Almanac 2014
  • The Gathering Storm
  • Far from the Madding Gerund: And Other Dispatches from Language Log
  • Dared  Done: Marriage Of Elizabeth Barrett  Robert Browning
  • Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage Publisher: Merriam-Webster
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • Pseudo-City
Noah Hawley is an Emmy, Golden Globe, PEN, Critics' Choice, and Peabody Award-winning author, screenwriter, and producer. He has published four novels and penned the script for the feature film Lies and Alibis. He created, executive produced, and served as showrunner for ABC's My Generation and The Unusuals and was a writer and producer on the hit series Bones. Hawley is currently executive produc ...more
More about Noah Hawley...