Start by marking “Heartless: The True Story of Neil Entwistle and the Cold Blooded Murder of his Wife and Child” as Want to Read:

2.91  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Neil seemed like a dream come true for Rachel: a handsome, impeccably mannered, success-oriented Englishman, the fairytale husband she had dreamed of meeting. By the time Neil and Rachel Entwistle were husband and wife, living the good life in a New England town, it was too late to guess the truth: that beneath Neil's good looks and manners was a deceit and darkness…

On a w
Published June 3rd 2008 by St. Martin's True Crime (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Heartless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heartless

Jim Thomsen
The very definition of an "insta-book," this tale is almost wholly lacking in character development and connective factual tissue. We don't really get to know much about who the killer is and what made him into a killer, because McPhee seems less interested in character and motivation than she is in slapping together a pastiche of Google searches, court-file cherry
pickings and press accounts. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of honest reporting here, as it's clear that McPhee hasn't gott
Kathleen Peloquin
This book was just OK. I saw the author at a Library function and bought the book on impulse without really checking it out first. The biggest disappointment is that the book was written in 2008 and does not include the trial and conviction of Neil Entwistle. The author includes a lot of information about the people involved in the investigation and prosecution but not as much about the family of either Neil or Rachel Entwistle. Also, much of the information included in the book refers to other ...more
Angela Blanco
I thought this book was really good until the end. The only problem with the book, I thought, was that the book had apparently been written before the trial and left you with no idea what happened. I really was disappointed in the ending. I still think the book was worth reading, but definitely not as good as I was hoping.
Eva Leger
Dec 05, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: t,c, readers
Shelves: b-true-crime
This was very hard to read - anything t.c. concerning children is and this was no different. This man is the epitomy of a monster. How he could lead such a double life and turn around and commit such a disgusting crime for no reason is absolutely disgusting. I'm appalled that people like this live in our world.
That woman and little baby did nothing to this man but love him. Looking at their pictures, especially little Lillian's actually brought tears to my eyes. What I thought of when I looked
Kristin
Oct 02, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have a feeling this book was written amongst the trial hype. I was disappointed that the ending did not reveal the rest of the trial details, or even Neil's conviction!

The crime and trial did not seem to be enough material for a full book. Other crimes and trials kept being mentioned, which was interesting, but strayed too much from Neil's case.

I wondered if the author ever had an in-person interview with the families or Neil himself. I was interested in hearing Neil's side of the story, but
Samantha Garlock
Nov 21, 2010 rated it it was ok
I expected more from the author...Ms McFee has several books to her credit yet this one seems like an author's first attempt. Also the editor should have their palms slapped...several misspellings, grammanical mistrakes, I would have expected a 5th grader to do better! Really quick read though 2 days, half hearted commitment.
Stephanie
Sep 27, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
ugh what a pig. Sad, actually, more than just the surface...
Crystal Scruggs
This was actually very poorly written. I did not like this author's style. Not my cup of tea, sorry.
Dallas Brown
Jan 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
it was okay
Kelly
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
Good detail. Interesting story.