Start by marking “Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1)” as Want to Read:
Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1)

Knots and Crosses

(Inspector Rebus #1)

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  34,310 ratings  ·  1,659 reviews
'And in Edinburgh of all places. I mean, you never think of that sort of thing happening in Edinburgh, do you...?' 'That sort of thing' is the brutal abduction and murder of two young girls. And now a third is missing, presumably gone to the same sad end. Detective Sergeant John Rebus, smoking and drinking too much, his own young daughter spirited away south by his disench ...more
Published 2005 by Orion (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Knots and Crosses, please sign up.
Gemma Absolutely. I'm about to start re-reading again (for the fifth or sixth time). Although the individual mysteries technically stand alone, there are…moreAbsolutely. I'm about to start re-reading again (for the fifth or sixth time). Although the individual mysteries technically stand alone, there are several key players in the Edinburgh 'crime world' whose presence becomes increasingly threatening throughout the series. You won't really get a sense of the Rebus world unless you read them in order, at least the first few and the last few. The ones in the middle, it probably doesn't matter as much.(less)
Paul Close “Drink never cured anything, son,” continued his personal witch. “Look at me. I wis as guid as anybody once upon a time, but when my husband died I…more“Drink never cured anything, son,” continued his personal witch. “Look at me. I wis as guid as anybody once upon a time, but when my husband died I just went tae pieces. D’ye ken whit I mean, son? The drink wis a great comfort tae me then, or so I thocht. But it tricks ye. It plays games wi ye. Ye jist sit aw day daein’ nothing but drinking. And life passes ye by.”(less)

Dan Schwent
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Girls are being kidnapped and murdered around Edinburgh and John Rebus is on the case. But what, if anything, do the disappearances have to do with bizarre letters Rebus has been getting in the post?

The mother-in-law of the owner of my favorite used bookstore has been on my ass for years to give the Inspector Rebus books a shot. When this one turned up during one of my semi-weekly visits, I decided it was time.

This slim volume packs quite a punch. As the first book in a mystery series, it has a
Barbara

Detective Sergeant John Rebus joined the Edinburgh police force 15 years ago, after leaving the special forces unit of the British Army (SAS). Rebus is a solid cop, respected (if not quite liked) by his superiors. As the story unfolds we learn that Rebus's brutal SAS training left him profoundly troubled, so that he drinks too much, has a failed marriage behind him, and has a somewhat distant relationship with his young teenage daughter Samantha.

When a serial killer starts murdering young girls
Brad
I had low expectations going into this. Being a big fan of Scottish lit, I've always kept Rankin at arms length, thinking that he'd be too pulpy and pop culturey to be worth reading. I'm comfortable enough to own my snobbery.

Lately, though, I've felt Rankin's pull, especially since Henning Mankell's Wallander books reignited my interest in crime fiction. I have a thing for those damaged, brooding, middle aged, drink-too-much detectives, whose world view is so beaten and jaded by what they've se
Tea Jovanović
Legendarni škotski autor krimića čije su knjige doživele sjajne ekranizacije a njegov Rebus proslavio ga je širom sveta... Samo ga kod nas publika ignoriše iako smo teškom mukom obezbedili prava za njegove knjige i objavili čak 4 naslova iz serijala o rebusu...
Lawyer
Knots and Crosses: John Rebus and the Book of Job

“Job, actually. I read it once a long time ago. It seems more frightening now though. The man who begins to doubt, who shouts out against his God, looking for a response, and who gets one. ‘God gave the world to the wicked,’ he says at one point, and ‘Why should I bother?’ at another.”

“It sounds interesting. But he goes on bothering?”

“Yes, that’s the incredible thing.”

Conversation between Detective Sergeant John Rebus and Detective Inspector Gil
Andrew Smith
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first sampled the Rebus series at book 12 (The Falls) and have subsequently read books 8 to 19 (Rankin’s latest) in random order. This hasn’t been a problem, there is a background thread that runs through the series – an army career, a failed marriage and a daughter – but it’s really just background noise to whatever is happening in the current book. This time I decided to go back to the start, to book 1.

The first thing that struck me was how different the style is. The later stories resound
Lewis Weinstein
Many detective stories start out with a bang. Something dramatic happens. "Knots and Crosses," Rankin's first Rebus novel, and maybe his first novel altogether, is not that way. After 50+ pages, still not much had happened.

Most detective novels alternate scenes of tension and scenes of relief. Not this one. When the tension finally starts to build, it continues on an unrelenting screaming frightening path to the end of the story.

I guess you can tell I enjoyed the read. That's all I'm going to sa
Emily
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: detective fiction fans
Recommended to Emily by: npr
Shelves: own
I will admit to wanting to read this book in part because I heard the author on NPR about a year ago and he is Scottish and I have a big weakness for Scottish accents. But! In my defense, I was actually intrigued by what he said (and not just how he said it!).

Having finally read the book, I have to say, it was a great read. I realized about a third of the way through that it has been a long time since I've read both an apt and original metaphor and this was chock full of them. Being his first n
Karl
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Knots and Crosses" was first published in 1987 and is a crime novel. It is the first of the Inspector Rebus novels. It was written while Rankin was a postgraduate student at the University of Edinburgh.

This edition of the book was given out as part of a subscription, one of a series of 'Banned Books' produced exclusively for the Independent newspaper and is book 20 in the series done to try and promote reading.
Erato
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3/5 που γίνονται 4 μονο και μονο γιατι βλεπουμε κ μαθαίνουμε για τον γερό-Ρεμπους (πια) στα νιάτα του.
* Καμία φορά εχει πλάκα να παίρνεις τη σειρα αντίστροφα :)
Simona Bartolotta
3.5

I most surely did not expect to be so pleasantly surprised by this book. Ian Rankin shows, throughout the novel, an uncanny ability to lift the veil of one's everyday thoughts and perceptions to reveal a somewhat twisted reality lying underneath, like a lurking beast of prey, and he does it subtly enugh, thoughtfully enoough, to convince me he is no mere hireling. So are you thinking to dive into Knots and Crosses and find just the umpteenth copy-and-paste thriller novel? Forget that.

With th
Susan
I've seen Ian Rankin books all over airports, bookstores, libraries, best seller lists since I was first out of college and have never picked one up. Probably for the same reason I never picked up a Lawrence Block book. Big mistake, but now I have many more in the Detective John Rebus series left to read. I like Rankin's style, very moody and somewhat dark, although other reviews I've read says he lightens up quite a bit in later novels. Considering this series is still going strong almost 30 ye ...more
Toby
Aug 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: black-as-night
Soft-boiled crime fiction? Hard-boiled light? Lightly fried with a twist of tarragon?

As the debut of Ian Rankin's Rebus this is a fine book filled with promise.

Rebus is a drunk divorcee formerly of the SAS and now a DS in the Edinburgh police force. There's somebody abducting and killing children and there's no pattern that anyone can see. So far, so cliche. Where Rankin differs from all those other generic modern police procedurals that are oh so popular with the masses is that he doesn't seem
Joseph Delaney
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been re-visiting the Rebus novels, this time starting at the very beginning and working my way through them mostly in the order that they were written. Prior to this, I’d read about a quarter of the books but I am reading those again because I know that I’ll enjoy them.
My test of a good book is that it can be read and enjoyed more than once. This series passes that test; they are all five star books.
I read for enjoyment and mostly confine myself to my favourite genres: fantasy, science
Ellen
Knots and Crosses (Inspector Rebus, #1) by Ian Rankin.

This was my first taste of Inspector Rebus, but it most definitely won't be my last!

Rebus is not an unusual character. He has his strong points which I found to be in enduring until the case is solved. At the same time he's a vulnerable person with weak points. Weak points caused by something in the past he's trying desperately to forget or at least cram into a closet and lock it shut forever.
The first little girl goes missing and later is f
Michael Robotham
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful to go back and discover the beginnings of John Rebus. I was incredibly impressed with Ian Rankin's writings, particularly given that he was only 25 years old when he wrote Knots and Crosses. The plotting is a little clumsy and Rankin has become much more sophisticated in this area. Here, he was learning. He became a master.
Lee Broderick
I was a little disappointed by this book. Ian Rankin's Rebus novels have been widely praised as literary detective fiction. In the introduction to my edition he acknowledges some surprise at this and I agree with him. This was an uncomplicated, character-driven noir with a protagonist that I couldn't care less about.

Perhaps the author's writing improves with later books but here I felt like I was being kept very much at arms length from the narrative. When the plot's so simple (in one of the ear
aPriL does feral sometimes
'Knots and Crosses' is an entertaining psychological/police procedural. It also is book one, first published in 1987, in the long-running Inspector Rebus series. I highly recommend it.

Detective Sergeant John Rebus works in Edinburgh, Scotland with a love/hate obsession for his job with the police. Rebus wants to quit drinking and smoking, too, but so far he has failed in those goals. He certainly is a man of faults, and some might think him becoming burned out. But one thing he still possesses -
Clarice
Mar 28, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
The first problem with this book is the unlikable main character. Rebus is supposed to be suffering from PTSD because of trauma he experienced during his Special Services training. That's right. He was so damaged during TRAINING that he never actually served in Special Services, but he gets all kinds of respect from his fellow cops because of his Special Services background - which is pretty weird since the symptoms of his PTSD makes him a pretty lousy cop. And, oh yeah, another symptom is that ...more
Paul O'Neill
I found this to be disappointing fare. Rebus, the character was likeable, and the location (which, for the most part for me is right next door) was good and realistic. Pacing was good, story was ok.

My problem with this is the fact that Rebus doesn't seem to be that great a cop. There was a lack of 'cop work' within this book also. Rebus could've easily been a random member of the public and it wouldn't have made a difference to the plot.

Compared to the high standard of Connelly and Baldacci, t
Laure
Not bad but the later books in the series are much better. Still you can see the potential. :)
Banushka
Oct 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
şöyle hızlı hızlı okunacak polisiyeyi özlemişim... rebus serisinin dizisini izlemiştim, iskoçya'da geçmesi, fazla karanlık olması hoşuma gitmişti. bu da galiba serinin ilk kitabı. ben bu edisyondan okumadım, alfa'da tekrar basılmaya başlandı, umarım bu kez doğru düzgün ilerler, bir iki kitabı basıp ortada bırakmazlar seriyi.
içkiye düşkün, sorunlu, dağınık, boşanmış erkek polis ya da dedektif tiplemesine alışkınız zaten, rebus üstüne bir de dindar :)
Dasha
Aug 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
I was very excited to read this. I'd been meaning to read Ian Rankin and finding myself in a used bookshop in Inverness finally bought the first two books of the series [I think the shopkeeper was very excited that I wanted to read their own Scottish wonder - he won a main prize last year at the Edinburgh book festival.:]
However found it a little disappointing - straightforward plot [that sounds ridiculous perhaps - because it is requisitely twisty - but in a way that if you've read more than on
Dfordoom
Apr 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Knots and Crosses is the first of Ian Rankin’s Inspector Rebus novels, although in this one he’s still Detective-Sergeant Rebus. It’s almost impossible because of the way the plot is structured to say anything meaningful about the story without the rusk of giving away any spoilers. All I’ll say is that Rebus is an ex-army guy now a cop who finds himself involved in the investigation of the kidnapping/murders of several girls in Edinburgh. It’s one of those crime novels that focuses in the detect ...more
Stephanie Swint
This could have been so much more. The concept or story is fantastic. I wanted to like it. I started out liking it. Unfortunately, as the story went on I noticed where it should have been amazing and wasn’t. ‘Knots and Crosses’ wasn’t bad, but it fell far short of its potential. This means it will probably be made into a much better movie. There is a solid mystery set in Edinburgh here. It has some true twists and interesting characters. Who doesn’t like a main character whose father and brother ...more
Ross Cumming
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my first foray into Rankin's Rebus series and what better place to start than at the very beginning. I have put off reading them for several years as I normally prefer American crime fiction, as being an ex-Scottish Police officer myself I am usually easily put off if the procedural aspect of novels varies too much from real life.
In this the first of the series we are introduced to Detective Sergeant John Rebus of Edinburgh C.I.D. who is a complex character to say the least. An ex- Spec
Labijose
Feb 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Aún tenía pendiente la primera entrega de John Rebus, publicada en 1987, y eso que va ya por la número 21 hasta la fecha. He cumplido esa deuda, y me alegro de haberlo leído. Te da una idea general del personaje, de su traumática experiencia militar, y de su desordenada vida social. Es un detective a lo Harry Bosch, lo cual en mi caso hace que me sienta inmediatamente atraído hacia sus vivencias.
No me ha defraudado en absoluto esta primera entrega. Al contrario, ha llenado algunos huecos person
An Odd1
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, fan
"Knots and Crosses" are scraps of string and broken matchsticks in anonymous crank messages to Edinburgh detective John Rebus during a serial kidnapping of girls around 12, his daughter's age. Or is it a tic-tac-toe game? Constantly overcome by memories of elite corps army training, he smokes, drinks, and sleeps around like a 70s divorced lonely dad, until his brother finally hypnotizes him to reveal his bitter past hiding the murderer.

Either I read this before or the suspense builds with our g
Mark Rubinstein
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Knots and Crosses is the first of Ian Rankin's Inspector Rebus novels. Despite some contrivances and convenient plot devices, it's a fine novel. Rebus is a fascinating character and one gets the feeling in reading this novel (published in 1987) that the author probably was planning a series based on this character.

I understand full well that this series is far more than the usual group police procedural books. It has much more going for it, namely, the complex character of John Rebus. The writi
Tony
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rankin, Ian. KNOTS AND CROSSES. (1987). *****. Rankin is one of the best mystery writers writing today, and this is one of his earlier books that provides more background on his series character, Inspector John Rebus. Rebus is going through a crisis. He is divorced from his wife. He doesn’t get to see his daughter, Samantha, very much – at least not as much as he would like. His police work is getting to him. His past in the SAS keeps coming back to him in chronic outbreaks of mental turmoil. He ...more
Play Book Tag: Knots and Crosses / Ian Rankin - 3*** 1 13 Jun 24, 2017 06:06AM
Crime, Mysteries ...: Knots and Crosses - June 2016 21 58 Jun 19, 2016 10:24AM
2015 Reading Chal...: Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin 1 13 Mar 22, 2015 09:48PM
2017 Reading Chal...: 1987 - Knots & Crosses 1 25 Jan 14, 2015 05:48PM
English Mysteries...: February 2014 - Knots and Crosses 38 119 Feb 25, 2014 04:35PM
Rebus 16 157 Jan 12, 2014 02:37PM
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
  • Last Bus to Woodstock (Inspector Morse, #1)
  • Aftermath (Inspector Banks, #12)
  • A Killing Kindness (Dalziel & Pascoe, #6)
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Lonely Hearts (Charlie Resnick, #1)
  • Ratking (Aurelio Zen, #1)
AKA Jack Harvey.

Born in the Kingdom of Fife in 1960, Ian Rankin graduated from the University of Edinburgh in 1982 and then spent three years writing novels when he was supposed to be working towards a PhD in Scottish Literature. His first Rebus novel was published in 1987; the Rebus books are now translated into 22 languages and are bestsellers on several continents.

Ian Rankin has been elected a

Inspector Rebus (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Hide and Seek (Inspector Rebus, #2)
  • Tooth and Nail (Inspector Rebus, #3)
  • Strip Jack (Inspector Rebus, #4)
  • The Black Book (Inspector Rebus, #5)
  • Mortal Causes (Inspector Rebus, #6)
  • Let It Bleed (Inspector Rebus, #7)
  • Black and Blue (Inspector Rebus, #8)
  • The Hanging Garden (Inspector Rebus, #9)
  • Dead Souls (Inspector Rebus, #10)
  • Set in Darkness (Inspector Rebus, #11)
“It was the laughter of birthdays, of money found in an old pocket.” 29 likes
“His eyes beheld beauty not in reality but in the printed word. Standing in the waiting-room, he realized that in his life he had accepted secondary experience -- the experience of reading someone else's thoughts -- over real life. ” 15 likes