Start by marking “Where the Birds Never Sing: The True Story of the 92nd Signal Battalion and the Liberation of Dachau” as Want to Read:

4.35  ·  Rating details ·  204 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
A Son's tribute to the courage of his father and to all the heroes of World War II

In his riveting debut, Where the Birds Never Sing, Jack Sacco tells the realistic, harrowing, at times horrifying, and ultimately triumphant tale of an American GI in World War II. As seen through the eyes of his father, Joe Sacco -- a farm boy from Alabama who was flung into the chaos of Nor
Published October 1st 2003 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Where the Birds Never Sing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Birds Never Sing

Relstuart
Aug 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written book that follows a second generation boy from an Italian immigrant farming family in Alabama as he is drafted and then sent to Europe with his unit to fight on the front lines starting with training in England, deployment into the combat zone for D-Day, and ending when the war against Germany is finished. It's clear the experience at Dachau was powerful and traumatic but despite the title, it does make up a small portion of the book. The main focus is more on what everyday life/com ...more
Debbie
Mar 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I felt like I was reading my grandfathers memoir so many times while reading this and that alone gives it 5 stars from me. I love that this generation referred to their comrades as "buddy" and "buddies" I just find that so endearing, my grandpa did the same thing (complete side note). So many times I felt I was right there with this group during their interactions, some of which I laughed out loud which you wouldn't expect reading a book about war. It's hard to fully comprehend WWI and WWII beca ...more
Melissa
I was expecting more about Dachau, and was a little disappointed when I realized it started with the day Joe Sacco was drafted. The book is a riveting read about being on or near the front lines (and in some cases, behind!) of the European theater of World War II. I wish it wasn't marketed as the liberation of Dachau, since that event happens about a week before VE Day and is such a small portion of the story.

If you want to read about an Alabama farm boy's experiences in the Army during World Wa
Autumn
Excellent memoir about the author's father, Joe Sacco, and his service in WWII. Well-formatted story: the first person narrative helps you know Joe personally, yet the individual voices of each of his buddies comes through in the dialogue. Excellent way of presenting Joe's war experiences and the emotions accompanying each. Jack starts the book on the day his father receives his draft notice at 18 years-old, then takes you through basic training, his shipment overseas, landing at Normandy, battl ...more
Hmccaa
Feb 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read several books of accounts of WWI and WWII by soldiers about their experience. This book was written by the son of the soldier Joe Sacco by his son Jack.

My father also served and was never able to tell his story to the family. I know few bits and pieces of his service and have a hand of papers of awards and his metals. Like Joe my father was just a very young man that found himself on the other side of the World away from his Mother, Father and brother.

Reading the account of this book
Matt
Mar 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-2
Where the Birds Never Sing is a very good read. Interesting perspective. It is written by a Son told through his father’s eyes as He went through WWII in the European theater. Great story starting with his Dad’s humble beginnings, through basic training.

Though much of his Dad’s experiences had been as a communications specialist(ran wire), He finished alongside the Infantry in the guts of The Battle of the Bulge, and the liberation of Dacau.
Pretty incredible experience including encounters with
Catherine
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
This was my souvenir from the WWII museum in New Orleans, and I'm so glad I picked it up.

I knew I had to read it because Joe is from Birmingham, Alabama. Jack Sacco's retelling of his father's journey through Europe is raw, heartbreaking, and sometimes, hilarious.

The first-person, memoir-style writing made me like Joe immediately. The photographs added an even more personal touch to the story, and though they were sometimes difficult to look at, I'm so glad they were included.

This book takes you
Amy
Jul 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: world-war-ii
a day by day account of what it was like to be a regular "joe" in the u.s. army during WWII. the author's father is joe sacco and this is the story of joe and the 92nd signal battalion of Patton's army. they were the guys that strung wire so that the general could communicate with the front line. you follow joe from his family farm to boot camp and from there across the sea to england, normandy and all the way to the liberation of dachau. definitely for a mature audience, but i highly recommend ...more
Leslie
Nov 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WWII History Buffs
The author's family goes to my church in Birmingham. His father died recently, and I am friends with his widow.

Very well written. Sacco writes the book in the voice of his father, although he says he did not quote his father directly. Sacco had an amazing experience during the war--first love, seeing General Patton on a regular basis, liberating Dachau, and being in Hitler's apartment. But mostly, it is about a regular Italian boy from Alabama who develops great friendships with his fellow sold
Stephanie Phipps
This is a riveting account of what it was like to follow Patton's 3rd army into France and Germany. I also loved that Patton was included interacting with his support troops, not just his frontline guys. Iam glad to see historical accounts of what happened so that younger generations can see what their great-grandparents or ancestors did for this country. To this day if I see a veteran of any war I cannot help but say thanks.
Dan Klasing
Dec 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This excellent first-person recount of one soldier's experiences in WWII describes the war from the viewpoint of the common draftee. And the reader learns just how extraordinary these men really were. Instead of a top-down description of the war's events, the reader gets down into the real war where bravery, love, and duty overcome fear of death and loss of home. Thanks to Jack Sacco for a compelling narrative.

And thank you, Joe Sacco, for your service.
Donna Gabbard
When I purchased this e-book I thought I was getting a book about the Dachau concentration camp. After reading thru a third of the book, I still had not read the first thing about Dachau. I grew weary of the profanity and "bathroom humor". I hate to abandon books but this one is not worth spending my time on.
Sara Tobin
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading this book. Jack Sacco's simplistic description really made this book great he let the events talk for itself which makes it very believable. Reading the about WWII through the eyes of a young man from Alabama really gave war a different view for me. I definitly reccomend reading this historical nonfiction book.
Steve
Jun 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read the author's dad served with the 92nd signal Battalion of the United States Army in Europe during World War II. His dad fought from the beaches in Normandy on June 6, 1944 through the Battle of the Bulge and throughout Germany. His unit liberated Dachau which was a concentration camp in Germany and witnessed the horrors of the camp.
Martha
Oct 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, memoir
This engaging story of boys becoming soldiers and men in WWII puzzles me because it's written in the first person as if an autobiography but actually the author is the son of Joe Sacco. Is this history?
Laurie
Oct 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely amazing. So beautifully written. I loved how Sacco wrote this as though he was his father. It felt so personal. I laughed my ass off during some parts and cried at others. I may have to add this one to my personal library.
Sharon Zink
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Although the subtitle indicates that this is about the liberation of Dachau, actually it is the story of the author's father's experiences throughout World War II and is very interesting and well written.
Joy
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spellbinding account

The part about Dauchau was very disturbing and difficult to read. Excellent writing to depict real life. Unimaginable horror. Good to include humor among the soldiers who were friends.
Katie
Jun 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like books about World War 2 from the viewpoint of somebody involved, I highly recommend this story. It was a very interesting perspective and very easy to read.
Ashley
May 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most incredible books I have ever read. I will never be without a copy... or two. Everyone should read this!
Trena Hatfield
Apr 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book touched me like nothing I've ever read before!!!!
Tyler
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Horrifyingly good account of field life in WWII and the discovery of a camp. Read it right after my wife read it. Loved every page.
Jaelynn
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was amazingly astonishing. I couldnt put it down. If you like to learn about wwII this is a must read.
Kayla Kalisz
Nov 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*review up later*
janelle
Aug 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book- and the author is wonderful too!
Tessa
Aug 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read bits and pieces, to be honest the only thing I really wanted to read was the libertion of Dachau, which I did. Well written from what I read, I cried at the end.
Al
Dec 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is a great read. The climax when these hard bitten soldiers began to liberate the death camps will bring you to tears as you consider what a monster Hitler was.
Ralph Matile
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An easy read...quick...and still gives enough detail to hold my interest
Bethany Campbell
Aug 13, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: those interested in WWII writing
I really enjoyed this memoir. Poignant without being overly sappy or romanticized, it was a good read. Vivid characters.
Laurie
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A true story of the liberation of Dachau. Horrific to think of what happened to the millions of Jews.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The 23rd Psalm: A Holocaust Memoir
  • Priestblock 25487: a Memoir of Dachau
  • They Dared Return: The True Story of Jewish Spies behind the Lines in Nazi Germany
  • Hannah Senesh, Her Life and Diary
  • The Boy: A Holocaust Story
  • The Diary of Petr Ginz
  • The Town Beyond the Wall
  • Auschwitz: A History
  • Triumph of Hope: From Theresienstadt and Auschwitz to Israel
  • A Secret Life
  • The Heavens are Empty: Discovering the Lost Town of Trochenbrod
  • The Children of Willesden Lane. Beyond the Kindertransport: A Memoir of Music, Love, and Survival
  • The Holocaust by Bullets: A Priest's Journey to Uncover the Truth Behind the Murder of 1.5 Million Jews
  • Three Against Hitler