Start by marking “The Lion (John Corey, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Lion (John Corey, #5)

The Lion (John Corey #5)

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  23,507 Ratings  ·  1,045 Reviews
In this follow-up to The Lion's Game, John Corey, former NYPD Homicide detective and special agent for the Anti-Terrorist Task Force, is back. And, unfortunately for Corey, so is Asad Khalil, the notorious Libyan terrorist otherwise known as "The Lion." Last we heard from him, Khali had claimed to be defecting to the US only to unleash the most horrific reign of terrorism ...more
Published June 8th 2010 by Grand Central Publishing

Kemper
Aug 04, 2010 Kemper rated it liked it
The following is a transcript of a phone intercept recorded June 8, 2003. The first subject is John Corey, former NYPD detective and current contract agent for the FBI & NYPD’s joint Anti-Terrorist Task Force. The second subject is Asad Khalil (a/k/a The Lion), currently wanted internationally for multiple acts of terrorism and murder.

John Corey: Hello.

Asad Khalil: John, it’s Asad Khalil. Do you remember me?

JC: Asad! How could I forget? You killed more people than cancer when you got inside
StoryTellerShannon
This book is awesome. If only all fiction flowed this fast then truly would I be in Heaven. Step into the world of John Corey, all time smartass NYC detective who has a quip for every moment and who seems to always manage to solve the most difficult of cases. We were first introduced to him in PLUM ISLAND in which he was recovering from three bullet wounds and on disability leave. Of course, Corey can't keep his nose out of things like any good detective and goes on to investigate a matter relat ...more
Armin Hennig
Rauferei auf Ground Zero

Was für ein Schmarren, über den fragwürdigen Inhalt und die alles andere als zufriedenstellende Gestaltung haben sich ja schon genügend enttäuschte Fans ausgelassen.
Da ich das, anscheinend virtuose, „Spiel des Löwen“, das diese Pflichtfortsetzung bei public demand geradezu provoziert hat, nicht kenne, sollte sich mein Entsetzen eigentlich in Grenzen halten. Aber schon der Qualitätsabfall innerhalb des Buches ist geradezu erschütternd.
Hat die aus dem Ruder gelaufene Besch
AH
May 03, 2010 AH rated it really liked it
If you haven’t yet read The Lion's Game, you really should read it before you read this book. You don’t have to, but it will be a much more satisfying read if you do. The Lion continues the story of John Corey, a New York City homicide police officer who is now working on the Joint Terrorism Task force and his nemesis the uber-terrorist and all out psychotic scary guy, Asad Khalil.

At the end of The Lion’s Game (sorry for the mild spoiler) John and Khalil have a standoff. They both vow to kill ea
Wanda
Apr 29, 2011 Wanda rated it did not like it
I ordered this to listen to on a trip to visit my kids. I'm chagrined that I wasted the time to listen to this catastrophe of a book. The story is predictable, there is no character development, and no suspense. It is the literary equivalent of reality TV.
This is a tiresome and dated book with the usual prototype smart-alec protagonist oozing with testosterone and whose mouth and sarcastic repartee got on my nerves as did his extreme vulgarity. I mean, I am all for realism, but people - at leas
Beth
Aug 18, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing
Excellent audiobook narrated by Scott Brick. Scott also interviews the Author at the end of the book.
Sue
May 19, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it
Giovanni Gelati
Jun 28, 2010 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing
Right from the start I just want to say that this novel ROCKED for me. John Carey is a fun character and I am glad to have discovered him finally. I know, where have I been and why haven’t I read his work before? Chalk it up to one of life’s little mysteries. I have seen the movie The General’s Daughter and enjoyed it; I have the novel on my- to read- list now. The beauty of the whole thing is that this is what I enjoy about the different websites we are a part of, finding new stuff to read, the ...more
Corey
May 28, 2014 Corey rated it it was amazing
Damn, this book was intense! The Lion is the follow-up to The Lion's Game, and takes place 3 years later and The Lion (AKA Asad Khalil) is a ruthless Arabian Terrorist who has returned to America to kill John Corey out of revenge for ruining his plans 3 years ago. When I found out that this was a follow-up to The Lion's Game I just wanted to skip Nightfall and Wild Fire and go right to this book to find out what happens next, but I chose to read them in order so I wouldn't be lost.

One thing I'll
Dorsi
Aug 08, 2011 Dorsi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite in this series! I absolutely LOVED this one. As I have stated in my reviews from other books in this series, I have read these completely out of order. That is not the norm for me. I have one more to read in this series. I hope that DeMille writes more of these because I cannot get enough of John Corey. He is one of my favorite characters of all time. Great plot, great characters (good guys & the scariest, most psycho villian), & excellent style. Fantastic delivery by ...more
Barbara
Jun 16, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous book by DeMille. I wish he published a book every week. I just can't get enough.
Tim Chamberlain
Aug 25, 2010 Tim Chamberlain rated it really liked it
Written for the KAZI Book Review (http://kazibookreview.wordpress.com/):

Nelson DeMille’s latest effort combines humor and violence (not necessarily in that order) with an examination of the clash between Middle Eastern and Western cultures to produce a novel that is both wildly entertaining and frighteningly realistic.

Sue
Feb 27, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it
Nelson DeMille’s latest effort "The Lion", combines humor and violence with an examination of the clash between Middle Eastern and Western cultures to produce a novel that is both wildly entertaining and frighteningly realistic.

The Lion is the sequel to DeMille’s The Lion’s Game, published in 2000, which pitted retired NYC Detective John Corey against Libyan terrorist Asad Khalil, also known as The Lion. In this second installment, Khalil is back in the US three years after his last confrontatio
Jay Connor
Aug 21, 2010 Jay Connor rated it it was ok
In a summer of great, long awaited sequels (at least 10 years from original) -- see my reviews of Linda Greenlaw's "Seaworthy" and Scott Turow's "Innocent" -- Nelson DeMille's sequel to the 2000 "The Lion's Game" (reviewed earlier this summer), is a brutal disappointment.

In fact, "The Lion" only got its second star because of a wonderfully written, over the top, original skydiving scene.

Much of what served DeMille so well in the first installment failed or was dropped in this go 'round. The 200
Margarida
Sep 27, 2013 Margarida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Mais uma aventura de John Corey, que começa com um ritmo vertiginoso, com o regresso de Asad Khalil para se vingar do último piloto que fez parte da esquadra que bombardeou Tripoli quando ele era adolescente e também para se vingar de John Corey e os outros agentes do FBI que o perseguiram três anos antes.
Asad Khalil regressa com o apoio financeiro da Al-Qaeda e, como tal, tem uma missão terrorista de "agradecimento" a cumprir, paralelamente à sua vingança pessoal.
John Corey, após várias mortes
Rex Fuller
Jul 26, 2017 Rex Fuller rated it really liked it
John Corey, the main character in DeMille’s primary series, jumped out at me from among the collection of short mysteries published in 2017 entitled Matchup. His wisecracking, anti-PC attitude, lightning quick mind, and basic humanity, struck chords with me. So much so, that I read the first book of the series, Plum Island, and then steamed straight through all of the rest of them.

The Lion (Corey book 5). Asad (the “lion”) Khalil returns to fulfill his dual psychotic revenge upon the pilots who
Wendy Ballard
Jun 11, 2017 Wendy Ballard rated it it was amazing
Nelson DeMille can write. He gives just the right amount of technical information and back story to make his books satisfying reads.

John Corey is back. He and Kate Mayfield (his wife) may finally get their chance to find The Lion who they think is back in the States and ready for more revenge.

Read these books in order so you can enjoy watching John Corey grow as a character. When recurring characters are done well, it's easy to get wrapped up in their stories. Corey joins my list that includes
Jane Stewart
Disappointing sequel to The Lion’s Game.

The only value is to satisfy your curiosity if you read The Lion’s Game. Do not read this as a stand alone.

There were three action scenes in the beginning of the book with Asad killing people. Then the huge middle section of the book felt like filler. Too wordy with political ponderings. Too much internal thinking and monologuing. Too much repetitive thinking about past events. Finally we get some action toward the end.

This book would have been better if w
_yay_
May 12, 2011 _yay_ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: not-on-blog
John Corey is back and has unfinished business with terrorist Asad Khalil. Fans will know him from DeMilles The Lion's Game. One has to get used to all the testosterone, but will quickly enjoy Corey mouthing off on everyone and everything. I was constantly laughing out loud or the very least shaking my had in amusement. Witty dialogue! Please keep the soap away from Corey's mouth a while longer because I enjoyed this book a lot. 5 stars for this entertaining read!

Now, I've read some of the other
Diane
Aug 28, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asad Khalil (aka "The Lion"), the ruthless Libyan terrorist who menaced ex-NYPD cop John Corey in The Lion's Game (2000), returns to the U.S. 18 months after 9/11, bent on finishing old business in DeMille's fast-paced fifth John Corey thriller (after Wild Fire). In Los Angeles, Khalil dispatches the last of the eight American pilots who dropped the bombs that killed Khalil's family in the historic 1986 raid on Tripoli. In New York City, a daring encounter with Corey, a member of the federal Ant ...more
Gerald Sinstadt
Jun 23, 2013 Gerald Sinstadt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Having read four previous John Corey novels, I didn't need much persuading to like The Lion's Game. DeMille's practice of counterpointing violent and often evil events with his protagonist's weakness for the flippant wisecrack is not an easy trick to pull off, but he is able to make it work. Unsurprisingly, some of the jokes are better than others ("Have you experience of terrorism? I was married.")

It is a pity that other reviewers have divulged rather a lot of the plot; suffice it to say that,
Melissa
Mar 01, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it
I do like the way Nelson DeMille writes his main characters. John Corey is a snot. He's sarcastic, he's rude, he's basically a brat. While I don't love his as a character in the "he's just so loveable" sense, I am so impressed with the way DeMille commits 100% to the personality of this caracter. He doesn't just bring out the sarcasm in the dialog when Corey talks, but it is throughout his actions, his thinking - there is no doubt in anyones mind of Corey's character. I appreciate that about DeM ...more
Alison
May 20, 2010 Alison rated it really liked it
Shelves: xpired-2011-read
Blake
May 19, 2010 Blake rated it liked it
I too received an advance copy of this book, before it was released. I enjoy all of this authors works, but mostly his earlier works. Sadly, I feel he is resting a bit on his well earned laurels. The book read like it was almost an afterthought, with very little new character development and almost no plot twists. It was a nice read, but more of a palate cleanser than the satisfying meal which this author is capable of delivering. I long for the likes of The Charm School, The Generals Daughter, ...more
Raymond
Sep 09, 2012 Raymond rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel first involves John Corey and his wife in a sky diving event in the Borscht Belt of the Catskills near where we lived in Ulster County of New York State although "The Lion" had already wreaked havoc out of the Santa Barbara airport in California.
I continue to enjoy the caustic humor of John Corey and appreciate he and his wife's triumphs out of devastating catastrophes!
Betty
Jun 30, 2013 Betty rated it really liked it
Listened to this as an audio book and the reader was excellent. He brought John Corey to life just the way I had imagined him. The story was fast paced and I was glad to see the end to Asad. Now onto The Panther.
Linda
May 09, 2010 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-2014
Love Nelson DeMilles dry wit and fast-paced action.Reading this book was like watching a scary movie,I'd slam it shut,get up and walk around a little to get my courage up...the start reading..Couldn't put it down for too long.
Emily
Nov 20, 2012 Emily rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobook
Really enjoyed this one, as has been the case with the rest of the series. There were a few gruesome scenes described in detail that I would have skimmed through a little faster had I been reading this instead of listening to the audio book. John Corey is such a badass.
Kristine McIntyre
Jun 16, 2010 Kristine McIntyre rated it it was amazing
Very good book.... I love the hero John Corey! He makes me laugh out loud!
Mike French
Oct 13, 2012 Mike French rated it it was amazing
Another GREAT John Corey book by Nelson DeMille!! Since I loved this so much, I can't wait to read Mr. DeMille's other novels! What should next? ( already read "The Panther")
DeMille, Nelson 13 89 Apr 18, 2014 10:46AM
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)
  • The Vigilantes (Badge of Honor, #10)
  • Pursuit of Honor (Mitch Rapp, #12)
  • Hell's Corner (Camel Club, #5)
  • The Rule of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11)
  • God's Creative Power Will Work For You
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • The Prophet's Dictionary: The Ultimate Guide to Supernatural Wisdom
  • The NKJV, American Patriot's Bible, Hardcover: The Word of God and the Shaping of America
  • Secret Sanction (Sean Drummond, #1)
  • The Making Of A Leader
  • Cold Choices (Jerry Mitchell, #2)
  • The First Rule (Elvis Cole, #13; Joe Pike, #2)
  • This Day We Fight!: Breaking the Bondage of a Passive Spirit
  • Warlord (Alexander Hawke, #6)
  • By Faith Alone
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille, then moved with his parents to Long Island. He graduated from Elmont Memorial High School, where he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army where he attended Officer Candidate School and was commissioned a Lieutenant in the United S
More about Nelson DeMille...

John Corey (7 books)
  • Plum Island (John Corey, #1)
  • The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2)
  • Night Fall (John Corey, #3)
  • Wild Fire (John Corey, #4)
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
  • Radiant Angel (John Corey, #7)

“It's really scary when you have a moment of temporary sanity.” 28 likes